January, 2020 Banlist poll - Ban

What card(s) do you want BANNED in Modern during January, 2020's B&R announcement?

Poll ended at 4 years ago

Ancient Stirrings
6%
Arcum's Astrolabe
7%
Chalice of the Void
5%
Eldrazi Temple
1%
Emry, Lurker Of The Loch
3%
Expedition Map
2%
Karn, The Great Creator
3%
Mox Opal
8%
Mycosynth Lattice
8%
Once Upon A Time
7%
Oko, Thief Of Crowns
17%
Teferi, Time Reveler
4%
Tron lands
2%
Urza, Lord High Artificer
12%
Veil Of Summer
16%
Nothing
No votes

Total votes: 117

iTaLenTZ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by iTaLenTZ » 4 years ago

My votes
- Oko, Emry, Astrolabe, Expedition Map, Veil of Summer, Lattice

TheAnnihilator

Post by TheAnnihilator » 4 years ago

Veil and Urza.

Veil is too efficient and pushes interactive strategies out of the meta. UW and Jund have all but disappeared, and Veil is mainly to blame.

I personally like the inclusion of Oko in the format, and think the meta could adjust with the real problematic card banned -- Urza himself. Urza decks have been dominant for a while, and I thought Urza should have been banned even before the deck played Oko. I have a friend played Whirza and thought Urza would get banned soon after Hogaak did, but it still lives on now. Again, it's a card that pushes out interactive magic because the Urza player instantly has access to 3+ more mana each turn once the card resolves to defend it, and too many cheap options to force it through (Metallic Rebuke, Veil of Summer, cheap discard, etc.). Not to mention that it also makes a large token on resolution, leaving a threat after dealing with Urza himself and invalidating creature combat.

Tzoulis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tzoulis » 4 years ago

Voted for Veil and Oko since they're the cards invalidating interaction and creatures respectively.
gkourou wrote:
4 years ago
Watch out for Mox Opal also. It will keep dominating Modern for many years to come, as it already has so many times. It's kind of like Faithless Looting, but I am fine with it remaining legal for now.
You're correct in saying that Opal is like Looting, but wrong on the level of impact it has (or will have). If WotC finds a way for artifact decks to exist in such hostile environments without needing Opal (or Artifact lands), then and only then I'd consider banning it. Anything else than that and it's just asking for a whole archetype to be removed from Modern.
TheAnnihilator wrote:
4 years ago

I personally like the inclusion of Oko in the format, and think the meta could adjust with the real problematic card bannedUrza himself. Urza decks have been dominant for a while, and I thought Urza should have been banned even before the deck played Oko. I have a friend played Whirza and thought Urza would get banned soon after Hogaak did, but it still lives on now. Again, it's a card that pushes out interactive magic because the Urza player instantly has access to 3+ more mana each turn once the card resolves to defend it, and too many cheap options to force it through (Metallic Rebuke, Veil of Summer, cheap discard, etc.). Not to mention that it also makes a large token on resolution, leaving a threat after dealing with Urza himself and invalidating creature combat.
Casually ignoring that Urza decks dominated for 4 weeks and then the format adjusted and even pushed Urza decks to the point of them being just another T1 choice, is not the basis for a sound argument.

If anything, Urza asks for interaction, the cards surrounding him are hostile to it, namely Oko and Veil. On that point, Oko has been dominating Modern since a few weeks after his release, first in Urza decks, then in others (notice the timeline?). It's the best thing to be doing at the moment, since himself nullifies aggro and creatures and pushes out control together with Veil.

Him leaving a token behind is like saying that Snapcaster is broken because it leaves a body behind or every Planeswalker ever should be banned or generic 2-for-1's must be done away with. That's just wrong.

metalmusic_4

Post by metalmusic_4 » 4 years ago

I've never voted to ban this many cards before.

Ban LATTICE → it's too powerful and just dumb.
Ban OKO → he is probably too powerful, certainly too prevelant.
Ban URZA → urza is too good and still will be after an oko ban.
Ban ASTROLABE → the mana fixing is too good & it draws a card.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Voted to ban Urza, and nothing else. For now.
Oko is dumb, but I would like to see it in a format without Urza. Hoping for walker hate soon, if not then revisit in six months.

As someone who has been Mindlaver locked too many times, it does not feel any worse than Lattice. In fact I have seen people escape lattice locks.

Astrolabe I considered, but it is more of a Legacy issue, as is Veil.

Stirrings I considered, and Opal.

I love that Chalice is on the list, made me smile.

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

This is one of the few times I have ever thought you could legitimately ban everything on the banlist poll in order to improve the format.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

I just only voted for Oko, Thief of Crowns. I want to see what the format will be like without that card, then other bans should ensue. I don't think that multiple bans should happen because we want to see what rises to the top (even if we know already).
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

So many.

Stirrings. Astrolabe, Emry, Karn, OuaT, Oko, T3feri, Veil.

No joke, those all should go.
UR Control UR

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

Tzoulis wrote:
4 years ago
If anything, Urza asks for interaction, the cards surrounding him are hostile to it, namely Oko and Veil. On that point, Oko has been dominating Modern since a few weeks after his release, first in Urza decks, then in others (notice the timeline?). It's the best thing to be doing at the moment, since himself nullifies aggro and creatures and pushes out control together with Veil.
I find myself agreeing with this very much.
UR Control UR

TheAnnihilator

Post by TheAnnihilator » 4 years ago

Tzoulis wrote:
4 years ago
Casually ignoring that Urza decks dominated for 4 weeks and then the format adjusted and even pushed Urza decks to the point of them being just another T1 choice, is not the basis for a sound argument.

Him leaving a token behind is like saying that Snapcaster is broken because it leaves a body behind or every Planeswalker ever should be banned or generic 2-for-1's must be done away with. That's just wrong.
The reason Urza isn't dominating now is that the meta "adjusted" into a cluster of linear decks that seek to go under or over the top of Urza -- like Amulet, Infect, and Prowess -- and Karn GC decks. It's not a natural evolution of threat/interaction shift; it's like when Hogaak dominated and turned the format into an arms race of linear decks.

Perhaps Veil is the real reason why interaction isn't generally strong against Urza, but in my experience, Urza MUST be countered, not killed. Push/Path/Dismember all give the Urza player access to free artifact mana to protect it with Cryptic/Metallic Rebuke, and leave behind a 3/3 or larger creature that scales later into the game as well (as opposed to the barely-threatening 2/1 body that Snap leaves behind). I don't think Urza promotes interaction at all.

I can see that Oko is very prevalent in the meta, and possibly hampering diversity as well. I just believe that Urza is pushing a lot of decks out of the format, and Modern might be able to adjust to Oko without Urza present.

metalmusic_4

Post by metalmusic_4 » 4 years ago

@Mtgaaron
#UNBANTWIN in #MTG MODERN

Everyone should tweet directly to @mtgaaron whatever your nan/unban options are. There is no set ban/unban schedule anymore so we have to push the people in power harder to get the change we need now.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

gkourou wrote:
4 years ago
After lot's of thought, I think:

Mox Opal
Oko, Thief of crowns
Veil Of Summer
Mycosynth Lattice

should be banned.
Congratulations you got all but veil correct