[Poll] Is Opt better than Serum Visions?

which one do you usually use in your deck?

Serum Visions
26%
Opt
37%
use both visions and opt
37%

Total votes: 19

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, I've been on a friendly debate on this topic with a friend. As we are building a few decks that make use of these cards.

If you would have to pick, which would you prefer to use in a ub or esper draw-go type of deck?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

MashedPotato

Post by MashedPotato » 4 years ago

I played a split in Epser Draw-Go for a long time, lately switched into Thoughtscour to support Drown in the Loch (just to provide some support to my answer)

I see Opt as - Draw the card you want.
Serum Visions - Draw a random card, setup next draw or two.

Irregardless of Sorc vs Instant speed, Modern isn't tap out unlike Standard, so open mana isn't as much as of a concern (to an extent)

All of the above is just to support my split choice.
There is always a greater power

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

In a draw-go type deck, with more counterspells in it, I'd lean towards opt, but if it's got sorcery discard more than counterspells, I'd lean more towards serum visions.

In a non-draw-go type deck, like, say, a combo deck, I'd lean towards serum visions for an all-out combo as fast as possible type setup, while I'd lean towards opt for a somewhat more defensive, protect your combo and have something of a tempo backup type setup (so long as the tempo stuff and combo protection, or combo pieces themselves, is at least somewhat instant speed).

If deck has room, I'd strongly consider both, depending on the curve.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

[mention]MashedPotato[/mention]

hmm, I see. thanks for sharing your experience on opt and visions.

well, scour does make a good support for drown in the loch.

[mention]AvalonAurora[/mention]

thanks for all the advice. Ok, I'll remember those. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

Opt is a card that borders between OK to terrible. It's often the worst cantrip in the deck, and only ever played if a deck wants to cantrip at instant speed, and doesn't want to fuel its graveyard.

Serum isn't awesome, but the Scry 2 can be super helpful at pretty much any point in the game.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Serum Visions is far, far better early in the game in my opinion. It's significantly more likely to fix your land situation which is the #1 thing I look for in a cantrip--letting me keep 1-2 land hands. 1 land with an Opt can be a death sentence.

Given how much of modern is decided in early turns it surprises me to see opt seeing so much play, although it is quite nice to snap-opt late games.

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

It's a great question and discussion.

I voted Opt because ultimately it's more universal. Serum's effect is much better but the sorcery speed makes it inferior on early turns. Make no mistake, Opt is worse at hand fixing, but having the option to counter a spell / remove a critter that your opponent might play next turn is crucial. Late game when you have so much land that it no longer matters Serum is clearly better, but it's more important to have hand fixing early.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

nice opinions on the two cards. thanks to everyone who put their two cents here. :)

by the current looks of the poll. Opt seems to be the popular choice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”