Splinter Twin vs. Modern gauntlet testing discussion

gkourou
Izzet Mage
Pronoun: he / him

Post by gkourou » 1 month ago

Some paper results coming in for whoever is interested.
Usual UR Splinter List used.

UR Splinter Twin vs Sultai Urza(stock): 5-13 in favour of Sultai Urza. (Urza wins 8-3 pre sideboard and Urza wins 6-2 post sideboard)
UR Splinter Twin vs GDS(stock): 3-10 in favour of GDS (all games were presideboarded)

We also have some UR Twin vs the Burn deck we played with @Wraithpk .

UR Twin vs Burn: 3-3, if this is right(please wraith confirm).

Not that it matters, but Splinter Twin looks massively underwhelming vs GDS and Sultai Urza.
GDS is an absolute horrors show. Hand disrtuption, revovals and denials disrupting your combo. Bolts being irrelevant, unless he reaches total low life. The best play is when you tap a DS with a Pestermite and try to burn him out. Remand also suck.

Sultai Urza is also a deck which you can't combo against. CC's, metallic rebukes, all makes you want to beat him down with tappers and burn him down. Only that Oko makes that play totally irrelevant. Post sb, he brings in Pushes, TS. It gets ugly.
Karn that can bring needle is also super annoying. Remand is good theoretically, but meh. Bolt kills some birds sure. But largely irrelevant.

Verdict: Lightning Bolt should not do anything great in this Modern, Remand theoretically is good vs Urza and E tron, but Cavern and Mox Opal makes it weird. The combo is easily disruptable. Opponents having Bauble, Sanctuary, Emry locks, while you are playing an outdated deck. Were some great games, but the deck felt outpaced also.

Also rocked some games vs Slivers(just a friend of mine), and totally destroyed him, but hey, it's slivers. None of that matters.

Will continue to play it. But the deck edit: just to make sure I am not exaggerating looks very, very safe and not sure if Tier 1.

TheAnnihilator

Post by TheAnnihilator » 1 month ago

Honestly not surprised at all. :/ Will await more data. I suggest testing the Humans, Infect, and Amulet matchups too, as they seem relevant and play less disruption.
Expand Signature
Modern:
UWB Esper Draw-Go Control
UW Azorius Control
GU Amulet Titan

EDH: I've decided I don't like multiplayer formats.

gkourou
Izzet Mage

Will do. As an Amulet player, it's easy to play some games vs Twin. Meanwhile, I would love if anybody else could rock some games.

Wraithpk

Post by Wraithpk » 1 month ago

Yeah, the Burn matches were 3-3, but upon further contemplation I think it would have been slightly in Burn's favor with a larger sample. If you remember, I lost two games on Burn because I flooded out to a ridiculous degree, and I lost two other games because you had your 1-of Spellskite on turn 2. Felt like the variance went in Twin's favor for those matches.
Expand Signature
Modern
ubr Grixis Shadow ubr
uw UW Stoneblade uw
gb GB Rock gb

Commander
bg Meren of Clan Nel Toth bg

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 1 month ago

So, so far it looks to be exactly what many of us have predicted. Twin is simply outclassed buy many of the decks, threats, and answers available in modern today. It's definitely not overpowering, and honestly not even up to par with current forces. It's continued ban remains a stain on the B&R list, as well as a constant reminder of WOTC's inability to understand and evaluate decks in various formats, especially eternal ones.
Expand Signature
Ojutai Stax . Yarok ETBs . Teysa Combo . Zacama Dinos . Nekusar Control . Varina Zombies . Niv-Mizzet Spells
Niv-Mizzet and Teysa temporarily retired. Breya under construction!

gkourou
Izzet Mage

What I am beginning to understand is that UR Twin lacks it's usual power in today's meta. Could it be too strong if Urza, Opal get banned? I think it could be and that's a risk, but right now, Urza is warping the metagame and with him. Tron, E Tron, Amulet and such decks, Bolt is highly irrelevant for UR Twin to be a good deck.

Temur Twin on the other hand? I think there is something here, to say this is one of the best decks in Modern and a lot stronger than the UR version. The super busted cards from 2019 make their way here and fix the deck's bad matchups. You still have Bolt that's mediocre atm, but OKO and the other cards ensure you are a better deck overall and have game vs GDS and other decks.
Ideas on this? Would be willing to test with this instead of UR, as I am sure it would be better.
It's a similar list someone had posted some weeks ago, but with oko that's the draw to play Temur and it's great vs GDS and other fair decks.

thnkr

Post by thnkr » 1 month ago

I apologize if this is already covered, but where did the testing take place? I'd love to see the gameplay.

BloodyRabbit

Post by BloodyRabbit » 3 weeks ago

TarmoTwin wants Serum Visions instead of Opt because of "sorcery" for Goyf.

I still think Jeskai would be the way (T3feri + Path).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”