[Poll] Is your wallet fatigued in this format?

financial fatigue in modern?

yes
85%
no
15%

Total votes: 41

rcwraspy
Pronoun: he / him

Post by rcwraspy » 4 years ago

I voted yes because I try to keep my decks up to date. In Modern I play Jund, Storm, Burn, Titanshift and UW/x variants. Jund and Burn are what I'm most comfortable with and what I'll most often bring to a larger-than-FNM tournament unless I see clear metagame signs for something else. That said, with my new job and my wife and I moving out to the suburbs I don't play as often as I used to. A bit ago I bought into most of the staples of Modern Horizons and I can't bring myself to even look for new cards from the sets since.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

changed my vote to "yes". Also wallet fatigued now, because need two murderous rider and a collector ouphe to make my bg deck a little better. Still waiting for the price of rider to go down a bit before I could buy..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
changed my vote to "yes". Also wallet fatigued now, because need two murderous rider and a collector ouphe to make my bg deck a little better. Still waiting for the price of rider to go down a bit before I could buy..
Murderous Rider is like $7... and Ouphe is $3..... :hmm:

Unless we're talking about like the alt-art and foil copies. :party:

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

[mention]cfusionpm[/mention]

there's a lot going on for me right now, so even those small amounts are a burden to buy. Income last month was not so good, so had to be extra thrifty for this of october.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
cfusionpm

there's a lot going on for me right now, so even those small amounts are a burden to buy. Income last month was not so good, so had to be extra thrifty for this of october.
I can feel that. With a 10 month old baby, I've had neither the time nor the money to buy cards or play in paper. I think I've spent all of... maybe $20 or less in the last 2 months?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

after 5 months of running the poll --- it's 31 fatigued and 5 not fatigued. I guess many modern players in this forum at least.. have tired wallets.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
after 5 months of running the poll --- it's 31 fatigued and 5 not fatigued. I guess many modern players in this forum at least.. have tired wallets.
I feel that part of it could be because last year (2019) added so many new staples that are not cheap (W6, Urza, Canopy Lands etc) as well as there were several pillars of the format that were banned(Opal, Looting) and caused people to have to switch decks.

Plus the existing staples such as fetch lands are not getting any cheaper

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, all of those factors combined.

well, a new set is approaching. I'm going to spend a little more if they put some modern // pioneer usable cards in Ikoria.

CrazyPierre
Jasmine Boreal is for real.

Post by CrazyPierre » 2 years ago

I'm going to be the odd one here that says "no", and that's because I have been drifting out of Commander, which was a huge moneysink for me. By trading my Commander staples I've been able to get a ton of fetchlands, most of a Temur Rhinos deck and, with store credit, a good chunk of UW Control as well. I'll have two Tier 2 decks and my friend is building Hammer Time and Grixis Death's Shadow so we'll run small events with two other friends and socialize and so on. When in-store play returns at the end of January, we'll likely sign up for Modern stuff then.

To clarify my statement about wallet fatigue, it cost me multi-thousands CDN to foil out my Commander deck and get the dual-lands. It cost less than that to get UW Control and Temur Rhinos. I had a bunch of store credit at Wizard's Tower, Kanata, that let me get 13 MH2 packs which got me 9 fetches and some other staples too, which I traded for other Modern stuff.
I'm totally ok with this, I feel even if I need to get a playset of Mythics every 3 years, that's fine.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

I feel one way I avoid spending "real money" is by keeping a relatively small collection, mostly of what I can see myself actually using . I got the remaining fetches and Force of Negation I needed just by trading bulk in. I try and keep a few options I could see myself keeping in practice with to take to events

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

Commander is worse, but Modern is bad enough in regards to cost.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

One of the worst things about modern lately is that it used to be known as the format where you had a higher barrier to entry due to decks costs, but once you had your deck, it was good for a while unless something like a ban happened. Now, modern is essentially a rotating format due to the power if sets, especially Modern Horizons sets

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”