Historically, Modern community members have expressed interest in talking holistically about the challenges and problems facing Modern. Whether or not Modern has "challenges" or "problems" is up for debate, but what is clear is that people want to talk about all of these issues in one unified setting.
As such, Modern staff have continued this thread from the old MTG Salvation versions. You can use this thread to talk about any and all of these varied Modern issues and their intersection. This thread will be heavily moderated, so be sure to read the rules before posting;
- Bans, unbans, and all things related to the banlist and banlist policy
- Metagame health and diversity
- Reprint suggestions and reprint philosophy
- New cards and design philosophy
- Prices and Modern finance
- Archetype definitions
- Format health, successes, and challenges
- Anything that constructively relates to these different issues
Prohibited topic examples
- UPDATED 08/18/2018: Until further notice, all Splinter Twin related topics and discussion is prohibited until further notice.
- All MTG Nexus forum rules and Modern subforum rules apply here.
- Rules spotlight: No flaming (insulting other users) or trolling (baiting other users into a hostile response). Posts must be civil and respectful.
- Rules spotlight: No spamming. Posts must be constructive, on-topic, and supported with evidence and argumentation.
- No format bashing. If you don't like Modern, that's fine, but constructively/respectfully explain why and be optimistic. Do not make sweeping, negative, verbally hostile statements about the format, its decks, cards, and/or players.
- Similarly, do not use this thread to voice grievances, complaints, and personal gripes without constructive/respectful suggestions.
- If you see a user flaming, spamming, trolling, or breaking any other rule, report him/her instead of responding to it.
The mod team will strictly enforce these rules. Please make this a place where people are unafraid to post constructive thoughts.
Update from the July 13, 2020 B&R Announcement:
Arcum's Astrolabe is banned.
Next B&R Announcement:
TBD (From the 12/16/2019 update: "Going forward, we'll no longer be making a commitment in advance to when the next B&R update will be. While we still expect changes to come in a similar pace, and will always announce changes on a Monday, we'll be allowing some flexibility in the exact week of changes.")
Current DCI Modern Banned List
Here are some reasons cards are banned in Modern:
- Some cards enable a top tier deck to consistently win on turn 3 or earlier. These cards are known as "Turn 4 rule violators." The following cards are banned under this rule:
- Other cards have been banned because they make certain decks too consistent/reliable/dominant, reducing overall format diversity. Here are some examples of these cards:
- Arcum's Astrolabe
- Deathrite Shaman
- Birthing Pod
- Bridge from Below
- Eye of Ugin
- Faithless Looting
- Green Sun's Zenith
- Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
- Krark-Clan Ironworks
- Mental Misstep
- Mox Opal
- Mycosynth Lattice
- Oko, Thief of Crowns
- Once Upon a Time
- Punishing Fire
- Rite of Flame
- Splinter Twin
- Stoneforge Mystic
- Umezawa's Jitte
- One card is one of the most broken cards of all time and has been banned in almost every format where it was or is legal:
- There are also some cards that were banned for logistical reasons. These cards made tournaments last too long and were banned to make events run smoother. They were not necessarily banned for power reasons.
- Finally, one card is banned because it creates a problematic "battle of sideboards" in Modern.
Battle of SideboardsShow
The following are links to WotC's in-depth explanations as to why cards have or have not gotten banned since the beginning of the format:
July 13, 2020: Arcum's Astrolabe banned
June 01, 2020: Companion rule errata
March 09, 2020: Once Upon a Time is banned
January 13, 2020: Oko, Opal, and Lattice banned
December 16, 2019: No changes (changes to B&R frequency)
November 18, 2019: No changes
October 21, 2019: No changes
October 7, 2019: No changes
August 2019: Hogaak and Faithless Looting banned, Stoneforge Mystic unbanned
July 2019: Bridge from below is banned
January 2019: Krark-Clan Ironworks is banned
February 2018: Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Bloodbraid Elf unbanned
October 2017: No changes
March 2017: No changes
Gitaxian Probe and Golgari Grave-Troll are banned
Eye of Ugin banned, Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek unbanned
Summer Bloom and Splinter Twin banned
Birthing Pod/Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time banned, Golgari Grave-Troll unbanned
Bitterblossom/Nacatl unbanned. DRS banned
Addition of Second Sunrise
Addition of Bloodbraid Elf and Seething Song
Removal of Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3rd Banned List change with explanations
2nd Banned List change with explanations
1st Banned List change with explanations
Community Cup Announcement with the Initial Ban List.
Old threads (MTG Salvation and MTG Nexus):
11/03/2019 - 20/05/2019 (MTGS)
21/01/2019 - 11/03/2019 (MTGS)
26/11/2018 - 21/01/2019 (MTGS)
01/10/2018 - 26/11/2018 (MTGS)
08/20/2018 - 01/10/2018 (MTGS)
07/02/2018 - 08/20/2018 (MTGS)
04/16/2018 - 07/02/2018 (MTGS)
02/10/2018 - 04/16/2018 (MTGS)
01/15/2017 - 02/10/2018 (MTGS)
10/27/2017 - 01/15/2017 (MTGS)
7/18/2017 - 10/27/2017 (MTGS)
3/23/2017 - 4/24/2017 (MTGS)
3/13/2017 - 3/23/2017 (MTGS)
1/9/17 Banlist Update (MTGS)
12/8/2016 - 3/13/2017 (MTGS)
9/28/2016 - 12/10/2016 (MTGS)
7/18/2016 - 9/30/2016 (MTGS)
4/4/2016 - 7/18/2016 (MTGS)
1/16/2016 - 4/4/2016 (MTGS)
7/13/2015 - 1/16/2016 (MTGS)
1/19/2015 - 7/13/2015 (MTGS)
7/14/2014 - 1/19/2015 (MTGS)
2/9/2014 - 7/14/2014 (MTGS)
1/20/2014 - 2/10/2014 (MTGS)
6/23/2014 - 1/20/2014 (MTGS)
4/22/2013 - 6/23/213 (MTGS)
1/27/2013 - 4/22/13 (MTGS)
9/20/2012 - 1/27/2013 (MTGS)
7/19/2012 - 9/20/2012 (MTGS)