[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

scarbo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

came here for MH2 speculation viz-a-viz faeries and was not disappointed. i'd love to see CS and COF. and a freakin 1 cmc rare faerie...

and just more tribal in general. modern is such a good format for tribal (and i'd argue tribal is a healthy archetype for modern when it's competitive), and there's so much design space for goblins, zombies, elves, and merfolk.

Simto

Post by Simto » 3 years ago

How strong can tribal realistically get in the top of the meta when Plague Engineer exists?
I think that card alone will prevent almost any tribal deck from staying at the top for long. But I can definitely see tribal decks top various tournaments because they're not "on meta" so to speak, so people aren't prepared.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Aazadan wrote:
3 years ago
Triomes are really doing a lot for color fixing too.
prices are actually rising slowly.. they are indeed effective.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

TheAnnihilator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAnnihilator » 3 years ago

Personally I'm hoping for a Council's Judgment reprint in MH2 now that Counterspell is "leaked". There was a list of cards that are supposedly in MH2 and Council's Judgment is in it.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Personally I'm hoping for a Council's Judgment reprint in MH2 now that Counterspell is "leaked". There was a list of cards that are supposedly in MH2 and Council's Judgment is in it.
That would be cool. I remember back when the people at mtgsalvation were speculating on what may be in MH. People also had their favorites or other cards that they wanted in there. Many of these actually didn't make it, so it would be cool if they make it this time around.

But then it may also be a case of "too little, too late."
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 2 years ago

Jeez, Clever Lumimancer packs a punch. I've so far mostly seen her in Historic but I'm curious and a little wary what she'll do in Modern.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

it's like a stronger kind of prowess.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Simto

Post by Simto » 2 years ago

Doubt there's any reason to ever run Kiln Fiend in that style of deck ever again hehe. I kinda want to run more than four Fatal Push in every deck these days.
Cool card, is it the only card from Strixhaven that has Modern potential?

ThatStoryTeller

Post by ThatStoryTeller » 2 years ago

Shamans got a 2/1 burning tree shaman that firebreathes for 2 mana. I wish the deck got a good 1drop though. Shame all we got was hall monitor, the best joke of the set.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

Not sure if I posted here in this thread recently but I bought into Izzet Prowess a few weeks ago and just finished my second league with the deck (finished 3-2 in the first, 4-1 in the second).

|I think the only deck I've played twice was dredge. I played against the Boros prowess deck today and I'm not sure if I like it compared to other versions of prowess. What does everyone else think of Boros Prowess?

Albegas

Post by Albegas » 2 years ago

Just to confirm, was this before Clever Lumimancer ? Because whatever the status of Boros Prowess was before Strixhaven, I would imagine that Clever Lumimancer would immediately turn that status upside down.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

feels like it's a good time to get the rw horizon land, as it could go up if Lumimancer prowess becomes a thing.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
feels like it's a good time to get the rw horizon land, as it could go up if Lumimancer prowess becomes a thing.
I think (hope) it is a good time for horizon lands in general. I picked up tons of them at $4-7, hoping to flip some day.

Now I just wish I had that money to put more money into Dogecoin, lol. :dizzy:
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

Simto

Post by Simto » 2 years ago

I wish I had any money.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
I think (hope) it is a good time for horizon lands in general. I picked up tons of them at $4-7, hoping to flip some day.

amazing you got so many at that price. You're gonna get richer when paper goes back. :omg:

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago

amazing you got so many at that price. You're gonna get richer when paper goes back. :omg:
I shouldn't say "a lot." Other than playsets in other decks or another binder, I have about a page or more of them. I know I only have 8 Waterlogged Grove for some reason, so not quite a page on that one. That's the fewest and the most is Nurturing Peatland at 14. Wouldn't mind having 100s, but that cost a lot!
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Wraithpk

Post by Wraithpk » 2 years ago

I think Clever Lumimancer is the second best 1 drop "prowess" creature. Swiftspear is still better, but Lumimancer is better than Soul-Scar. The problem is that I think she doesn't tip the scales enough to make Boros better than Izzet, although Boros might be better than mono-red now. It's certainly a very powerful card, but in a color that hasn't typically seen play in these prowess decks. Aspiringspike has been playing a fun looking Naya prowess build with her, but it's too early to tell if it's better or worse than Izzet.

As for the MH2 rumors, it's about damn time we got Counterspell in Modern. It's an iconic Magic card, and it doesn't see play in any competitive constructed format anymore. Modern is an appropriate home for Counterspell. It will be a staple in the control decks, but it won't change much about the meta. It just makes control a little better against big mana and decks that play a lot of mana dorks. That's pretty much it.

Now for some unban talk, which I know is why we're all here! I recently watched this video, and it completely changed my mind about Jitte in Modern. Not only do I think it could be safely unbanned, I'm not sure if it would even be playable in Modern. Watch the video if you don't believe me!

Finally, I just want to say how BEAUTIFUL the Strixhaven regular and Japanese mystical archive cards are. I loved some of the art they did in Kaldheim, but these are on another level. WotC is really knocking it out of the park with the aesthetics lately.
Modern
ubr Grixis Shadow ubr
uwg Bant Stoneblade uwg
gbr Jund gbr

Pioneer
urIzzet Phoenixur
rMono-Red Aggror
uwAzorius Controluw

Commander
bg Meren of Clan Nel Toth bg

VikingV

Post by VikingV » 2 years ago

an older review of Jitte reached a different conclusion

https://modernnexus.com/underestimation ... was-jitte/

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

still hoping for a green sun zenith unban..

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 2 years ago

Modern, more than most formats, suffers because the Modern audiences want staggeringly different things- you only have to look at the twin talk ban on here, let alone the actual bans themselves, to see how toxic ban talk gets when the audience is still split between what level of interaction and fairness it wants. The one change they could introduce to modern, more than any other format, is "irreversible bans". So if they ban a card it is gone forever, which reduces disappointment of "not unbanned". Even if a card could be unbanned- and we have seen enough cards come off to little effect- I think the perpetual clamour and speculation over SFM was just not healthy for the game. FWIW I never want to see GSZ - simply because it is a good tutor in a format where white has Idyllic Tutor and, black Grim etc. GSZ is clearly a step above them, I would like more balance between the colours, so GSZ would only be acceptable to me if they print other tutors, which they have shown nom inclination to do.

Canlander manages to have a format with Demonic Tutor, Mana Drain, Lotus, et al in a format that has an overall power level below that of Legacy, and just above that of Modern. Ban lists simply don't work well to manage formats in comparison to point lists. Sadly, points lists are not ideal for 60 card 4 of formats.

Wraithpk

VikingV wrote:
2 years ago

David is overly conservative in his unban opinions to the point of just being wrong pretty often. He did an article like that about SFM like a year before it actually was unbanned, and he concluded that it couldn't be unbanned because it would suppress Burn and aggro. That obviously didn't happen. If I remember right, he was adamantly against Jace being unbanned too.

Go watch the games from the Cardmarket video. I went into it thinking there's no way you can unban Jitte with SFM in the format now, but my mind changed pretty quickly.
Modern
ubr Grixis Shadow ubr
uwg Bant Stoneblade uwg
gbr Jund gbr

Pioneer
urIzzet Phoenixur
rMono-Red Aggror
uwAzorius Controluw

Commander

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

is expressive iteration good enough for modern?

Wraithpk

I think so, yeah. The upside is 2 mana Divination with some selection. I've seen some people playing it in Izzet Prowess, and it looked really impressive. I would imagine Blue Moon variants will want it too.
Modern
ubr Grixis Shadow ubr
uwg Bant Stoneblade uwg
gbr Jund gbr

Pioneer
urIzzet Phoenixur
rMono-Red Aggror
uwAzorius Controluw

Commander

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the input.

for me it felt like a 2 cmc ponder without the shuffle.. with the chance of being able to use two of the cards, if have enough mana to cast the exiled one on the same turn.

stille_nacht

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

Wraithpk wrote:
2 years ago
VikingV wrote:
2 years ago

David is overly conservative in his unban opinions to the point of just being wrong pretty often. He did an article like that about SFM like a year before it actually was unbanned, and he concluded that it couldn't be unbanned because it would suppress Burn and aggro. That obviously didn't happen. If I remember right, he was adamantly against Jace being unbanned too.

Go watch the games from the Cardmarket video. I went into it thinking there's no way you can unban Jitte with SFM in the format now, but my mind changed pretty quickly.
I mean to be fair, at the point in the meta he talked about SFM, Siege Rhino was the best creature in the meta, and Affinity, an aggro deck that plays 25 mana sources and 14 one-toughness creatures, was seen as an unshakable pillar of Modern.

I haven't done nearly enough testing or thinking about SFM in that meta to make any calls, but drawing conclusions about the validity of his argument using more recent context isn't really meaningful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”