[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

Albegas
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Albegas » 3 years ago

I'm probably just adding to what has already been said, but I don't see what DRS adds to the format. It provides main deck grave hate, life gain, ramp, color fixing, and burn in one package, and its only real deck building restriction is to run green or black. It's not as broken in Modern as Uro, but it has the same issue: it has a debatably absurd amount of value for very little opportunity cost. If people want to improve fair decks, we either need stronger answer cards, which raise the power level glass ceiling of new threats that will enter the format, or new synergistic combos need to be introduced to improve (reasonably) fair strategies without introducing cards that are broken in a vacuum. An example of this would be Azcanta + Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: both okay to good on their own, but incredibly powerful in tandem.

Albegas

Post by Albegas » 3 years ago

Might be my secret love for Stoneblade, but I'm OK with Jitte. We lack TTN level threats in Modern, our best aggro decks would really question a T2 Jitte into a T3 equip, SFM is easily removed in multiple colors, and we lack FoW to defend SFM and Brainstorm to cheaply mull any equipment drawn. Really does seem safe in Modern and I should probably pick one up just in case.

Side note, I really hope that the quote is from way back when and nothing recent. I still remember when Sword of the Meek was declared as too much of a potential boost to Lantern Control to unban.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

if Jitte became legal it would be fine for us. My brother legacy merfolk deck has two, so I will just borrow from him.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

A deck running Jitte has creatures in it. Even in a control shell, the pilot has made the decision to employ creature based win conditions. These are fair decks. Jitte isnt helping degenerate strategies that cheat into play cards faster than they were even intended to be played. Even if you hated to play against Jitte way back in the day, if you like a meta with fair strategies you want Jitte back now.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

ThatStoryTeller
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ThatStoryTeller » 3 years ago

Open the discussion on twitter and lets see where this goes :? . I would be happy to have jitte back and I play Faeries, the deck that gets absolutely wrecked by one that resolves, but also plays it very well, I am happy to dance around this double edged sword. They wanted to power up white, so thats definitely a way to do it in modern. Honestly I would be excited to see what decks make use of it the best. Id test it in all the creature decks I own tbh

Simto

Post by Simto » 3 years ago

I really really really don't like playing against Jitte, but I'd say unban it and see how it fairs. I'm all for ubanning stuff with the a disclaimer that "it could get banned again if it gets out of hands too fast, so don't waste money on it until it's potentially settled in the meta" kinda thing.

The only consideration I'd have was, would it make Eldrazi Tron better than Green Tron having one or two Jitte in the deck or sideboard for Karn.

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 3 years ago

Jitte would make SFM less mediocre at least. Jitte definitely was on my "never ever" list for a while but I'm coming back on that. My one gripe now would be that it doesn't really make for such good gameplay with creature vs creature decks, but then again, what creature decks?

I would really like to see some unbans, although right now, Modern actually looks really good.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

Simto wrote:
3 years ago
I really really really don't like playing against Jitte, but I'd say unban it and see how it fairs. I'm all for ubanning stuff with the a disclaimer that "it could get banned again if it gets out of hands too fast, so don't waste money on it until it's potentially settled in the meta" kinda thing.

The only consideration I'd have was, would it make Eldrazi Tron better than Green Tron having one or two Jitte in the deck or sideboard for Karn.
This is exactly how I feel.

I really did not enjoy Jitte in Standard, but luckily since I did Combo or Control, it didn't completely devastate me. In Extended, it actually didn't feel broken, but that may be because of the way the meta was. It actually wasn't played much. I remember Zoo had it.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

gedca

Post by gedca » 3 years ago

I'll say this much about Jitte. It's a card people have underestimated consistently since its printing.

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 3 years ago

I like the new tarmogoyf

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

they finally reused the original art. Liking it as well.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I'm gonna certainly be picking up a lot of the old frame staples now. I'm really tempted to turn my mm goyfs into these ones

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 3 years ago

Unrelated to the new cards, the whole "Celestial Colonnade is back on the menu" train has me hyped. I sold my copies years ago for like $30ish a piece, and today the alt art foil FNM promos are like $8. Picked up two, along with (surprisingly cheap) Skyclaves, at around the same price for foils. Both arrived flat and non-pringled, so that bodes well. Highly unlikely I'll ever be playing the 4c money pile abominations whenever covid ends, but these seem like easy UWx control staples at a very reasonable price.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

cfusionpm wrote:
3 years ago
Unrelated to the new cards, the whole "Celestial Colonnade is back on the menu" train has me hyped. I sold my copies years ago for like $30ish a piece, and today the alt art foil FNM promos are like $8. Picked up two, along with (surprisingly cheap) Skyclaves, at around the same price for foils. Both arrived flat and non-pringled, so that bodes well. Highly unlikely I'll ever be playing the 4c money pile abominations whenever covid ends, but these seem like easy UWx control staples at a very reasonable price.
Wait, Skyclave, the 1WW, exile a perm, foil, for around $8? I saw a buyer on FB offering $12.50 each, so I assumed they were currently at $15 or more. I may try to get some myself.
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

cfusionpm

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
cfusionpm wrote:
3 years ago
Wait, Skyclave, the 1WW, exile a perm, foil, for around $8? I saw a buyer on FB offering $12.50 each, so I assumed they were currently at $15 or more. I may try to get some myself.
Yepperooni.

Image Image

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

nice, it's becoming cheaper. And very useful card.

cfusionpm

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
nice, it's becoming cheaper. And very useful card.
I think it's just a byproduct of non-existent paper play. I'm doing what I (foolishly) did after the Twin ban and picking up "staples" on the cheap, hoping they'll still be relevant (or be relevant again) "soon." (*cries in foil Vendilion Cliques*). Since I'm definitely not investing in "Money Tribal" with W6s and whatever, I figure I'm likely going to play some UWx control or stoneblade pile once I ever get to play in paper, despite having a blinged-out 2018 spec GDS pile. I never did like the play patterns of that.

Simto

Man I love Celestial Colonnade. The feeling when you start activating it to attack is so good hehe. You basically declare victory at that moment.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

I'd love to see an Esper or UWx Draw go control deck start to take a piece of the modern metagame. Honestly when these style decks are popular and effective I find the format is often in a really nice situation for balance at least in my eyes that is.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

cfusionpm

Kaya's Guile is a great reason to do Esper. Could even force Esper Charm (even if it's kind of out-classed by Archmage's Charm these days, but could always run a split of both).

I feel my personal qualms with going Esper is the opposed nature of discard vs counter and the downside of Push vs downside of Path.

I think a UW splash black (Guile/Charm) might be more up my alley. But going hard on things like 4x Push, possible discard, and other B-heavy commitments make the manabase clunkier and weakens the shell overall.

Simto

I always want Esper to be good since I played Esper Control a lot in Standard when I was getting back into magic. It was some of the most fun times I had playing Magic.
Esper Control in modern just always looks like a little worse than straight blue white, but I always want it to be good hehe.

frederico
Pronoun: xe /xim

Post by frederico » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
I'd love to see an Esper or UWx Draw go control deck start to take a piece of the modern metagame. Honestly when these style decks are popular and effective I find the format is often in a really nice situation for balance at least in my eyes that is.
image.png
ciao

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

frederico wrote:
3 years ago
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
image.png
I know. I was more just musing on the history of the format rather than just pointing to the current state but yea it makes me happy and I'm not a control player.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Here's an interesting deck - Bant Squirrelblade.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/mu ... ade-modern
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”