[Official] Modern Prices Discussion

Ed06288
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ed06288 » 4 years ago

theres talk of a fetchland reprint this year in a non standard set.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I picked up a couple copies of Arid Mesas I need for the reason that they're cheap now and my buddy had a few he wanted to get rid of

I'll probably use the fact that they're reprinting them to get the rest I need (a set of verdants and misties, 2 more mesas now)

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

Ed06288 wrote:
4 years ago
Where is this? After seeing the video that cfusionpm posted of the Professor and Blake Rasmussen, it didn't look promising.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Ed06288 wrote:
4 years ago
Where is this? After seeing the video that cfusionpm posted of the Professor and Blake Rasmussen, it didn't look promising.
It was in the announcement video. Click here. Now, Blake obviously didn't tell us how that would work, but there is another place they will be reprinted according to him.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
I picked up a couple copies of Arid Mesas I need for the reason that they're cheap now and my buddy had a few he wanted to get rid of

I'll probably use the fact that they're reprinting them to get the rest I need (a set of verdants and misties, 2 more mesas now)
good move. This is certainly the time to get some arid mesa.
I saw them just at the 20+ range in scg. They're probably even cheaper at other places.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago

good move. This is certainly the time to get some arid mesa.
I saw them just at the 20+ range in scg. They're probably even cheaper at other places.
They're $45 Canadian. Verdants are $85 and Misties are $90. Pretty sure they're slowly dropping. Probably because of the incoming reprint

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

reprints do help prices go down.

Anyway, another thing I'm glad is hangarback walker is down to 5-6 dollars each, from a high of almost 20. Can get some copies now. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

Got a dumb question here - should I buy the companions in paper (not buying Lurrus) if I am interested in playing them some day? Or should I just wait until paper Magic is opened up again? Damn, I'm dumb to not know teh answer, lol.

Most are pretty cheap, but the problem comes from Gyruda, Doom of Depths being $10 and I need 4 for the deck I'd play with it. I'd also need 4 Sakashima the Impostor, which I believe is also over $10. I got everything else. (The sad thing is that I identified Sakashima as an underrated Commander card 3 years ago and considered buying out all of the foils, but the foils were nearly $10 each, even though the card was only about $1. Wish I had pulled that trigger, although the foils were pretty scarce at that time.)
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

my opinion is to buy what you need now while most things are below 5 dollars.
I'm only buying Sky Nomad and Prey Piercer, so it's not really much.

whoa.. why is Gyruda ten dollars.. some sort of combo or strong deck associated with it?

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
my opinion is to buy what you need now while most things are below 5 dollars.
I'm only buying Sky Nomad and Prey Piercer, so it's not really much.

whoa.. why is Gyruda ten dollars.. some sort of combo or strong deck associated with it?
This is what I was thinking for the ones under $5, which is most of them. Fox and Yorion are $5 each and I need 4 Foxes, just like I need 4 Gyruda.

Gyruda had hype from the online ban, which was an MTGO problem (BUG). But the deck has Gyruda, Heartless Summoning, Pentad Prism, Lotus Bloom, and Clones (Phyrexian Metamorph, Clone, Sakashima, Evil Twin, etc.). Wins by milling or by Kologhan Dragon swinging everything for lethal w/ Haste. This is a type of deck I like, one that folds to a Path to Exile with the Gyruda ability on the stack, but is so sweet otherwise. :grin:

Mining for Modern, Corbin Hosler. He plays the deck and did not play well. I mean, it was his first time playing it and he didn't consider everything beforehand. Still, it showed potential.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ok, I see. My opinion would be get Gyruda now, since you like playing the deck. If the strategy gains some more success, the card could easily increase to Lurrus price.

can't help but really feel excited. Prey Piercer helped breathe some new life to my Ponza. I'm still deciding if I want some in the main or only the sideboard. hmm.....

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Any thoughts on Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast in Modern? I kind of wanted to try the Planebound Accomplice deck, but Lukka is up there in price.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

from conversation at mtgsalvation. I heard he is already being used in Obosh ponza decks in magic online, so that probably explains the price.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
from conversation at mtgsalvation. I heard he is already being used in Obosh ponza decks in magic online, so that probably explains the price.
The deck looks similar, but it attempts to Planebound Accomplice (a $.50 card that's gone up to $1) a Lukka into the -2 on Accomplice and get Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn into play. It gives up most of what "Ponza" has except it starts out the same (ARbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl).
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

hmm, that's interesting. Although I would still prefer going the normal Ponza route. We now have a two card combo of our own in Kiki-jiki + hyrax tower scout - apparently, some creature heavy versions of Ponza in magic online are using it. :)

Aazadan

Post by Aazadan » 3 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
Got a dumb question here - should I buy the companions in paper (not buying Lurrus) if I am interested in playing them some day? Or should I just wait until paper Magic is opened up again? Damn, I'm dumb to not know teh answer, lol.

Most are pretty cheap, but the problem comes from Gyruda, Doom of Depths being $10 and I need 4 for the deck I'd play with it. I'd also need 4 Sakashima the Impostor, which I believe is also over $10. I got everything else. (The sad thing is that I identified Sakashima as an underrated Commander card 3 years ago and considered buying out all of the foils, but the foils were nearly $10 each, even though the card was only about $1. Wish I had pulled that trigger, although the foils were pretty scarce at that time.)
Any gems from this set are going to be pretty high, it's draft season is going to be non existent and so will it's paper sales season.

That said, you still have several weeks to figure out if buying makes sense at the moment. The companions should be a little safer from this as they're 1 of's per deck. If something emerges as a must have mythic though...

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Aazadan wrote:
3 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago

Any gems from this set are going to be pretty high, it's draft season is going to be non existent and so will it's paper sales season.

That said, you still have several weeks to figure out if buying makes sense at the moment. The companions should be a little safer from this as they're 1 of's per deck. If something emerges as a must have mythic though...
How do you feel about Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast?

For me, I don't play Standard. But I hear it's a card in the best deck, Fires w/ (can't remember the companion that took over for Keruga). It seems good in Pioneer and I've read from some that it could be solid in Modern. I have my doubts about Modern, but it would be fun for me to cheat in some Emrakul with it. ;) I just don't know if it's worth buying 4 for $44 and it dropping to like $5 each. I don't know if that's a possibility. likelihood
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Lord Seth

Post by Lord Seth » 3 years ago

Out of curiosity, has anyone playtested Lurrus as a 4-of maindeck card you have to naturally draw to see if it's better/worse/the same as being a Companion card?

EDIT: Ignore, wrong topic.
Last edited by Lord Seth 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Aazadan

Post by Aazadan » 3 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
How do you feel about Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast?
I honestly have no idea. With a lack of ability to play in paper, and never being one for MTGO it's been really hard for me to follow any sort of meta, especially outside of the decks I normally play.

If the card is real outside of Standard though, and it's a mythic from Ikoria, it seems like a pretty safe pickup if it's not a likely ban. If nothing else, if it continues it's standard demand you should be able to sell out of it in a few months without too much issue.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 3 years ago

It rather depends on your buy-in price. It will never make waves in the older formats than Modern, so you can only use it from between Modern to Standard plus singleton. Its effect @-2 is not hugely different to the old polymorph strategies- cheat a fattie in, but at 5cc I suspect it will be limited in commander to the level of "OK". There is a potential challenger reprint with a few months of its life left next year if it becomes part of a decent standard deck. If you do not play Standard I would wait. A limited draft in paper may have an effect, but it may not- if people start hoarding sealed product in anticipation of Worldwake II it could become a real brown shower. Sales might be high as lockdowned persons want a taste of normality at home and have little else to buy, there are just too many variables. Right now people are buying Mtg Gold- LED, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith etc. Solid pieces used in EDH, often RL. This is as far from that as you can get- uncertain supply, future use etc. It is not a good spec financially, so it is a question of how much use it will get.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Have Kaheera, Yorion, and Obosh all on my scg cart. Noticed that both Kaheera and Obosh have both dropped to 0.99 in price, while Yorion remains at 5 dollars. I guess Yorion must be doing something strong.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
Have Kaheera, Yorion, and Obosh all on my scg cart. Noticed that both Kaheera and Obosh have both dropped to 0.99 in price, while Yorion remains at 5 dollars. I guess Yorion must be doing something strong.
Yorion is the big guy in Standard, while he plays a close 2nd fiddle to Lurrus in Modern. The deck of the week last week in Modern was Yorion Scapeshift.

I got all of the companions pretty cheap, but now I kinda wish I waited longer. They went down even more, as I should have expected. But I didn't want to be patient, lol.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it could have also gone the other way, that they all would increase - nothing wrong that you got them earlier. Well, I had no choice in the matter. My country blocks USPS because of corona, cannot order.. so I guess that prevented me from spending early. Even now I'm waiting for the restriction on USPS delivery to be lifted. lol

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
it could have also gone the other way, that they all would increase - nothing wrong that you got them earlier. Well, I had no choice in the matter. My country blocks USPS because of corona, cannot order.. so I guess that prevented me from spending early. Even now I'm waiting for the restriction on USPS delivery to be lifted. lol
Oh man, that sucks. I can understand them being more cautious there. The population leads to people having to be in a closer vicinity. Where I live, idiots storm the White House with rifles to demand their "freedom" to go out and get CoronaVirus. I don't get these people, but even worse, I'm not sure why they're not being arrested. This is not how you use your Concealed Carry Weapons permit maturely. Smh.

Does this mean the stores actually can't get product as well? (I guess that's obviously a no from what you said.) Hopefully they'll ease up at least on U.S. mail soon.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

happened a few weeks ago actually. Was about to check out of scg.. then saw that the USPS option is gone! When I questioned this, the staff there told me they can't do anything about it.. because it is my country who is blocking USPS. So now I'm stuck with 2 Obosh, one Kaheera, and some other support cards in cart waiting for the blockade to be lifted. I don't know what happened to our lgs, haven't gone out of our village in 2 months. People who go out without a permit are fined, and repeat offenders are arrested.

Honestly, I cannot comment about those gun toting people. Everyone thinks differently. I too want to go out, work, earn money. But it's a deadly virus we are talking about here.. on our news there are about 40 new infections happened recently. Lockdown extended to June 1. Vitamin C tablets are out of stock on drug stores, and fresh oranges have become important like gold.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”