[Official] Modern Prices Discussion

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, planning to buy some fiery islet and sunbaked canyon to complete my mono red prowess deck. Both are hovering around 10-15 dollars each. Should I buy now, or would these drop further in price?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
Hi, planning to buy some fiery islet and sunbaked canyon to complete my mono red prowess deck. Both are hovering around 10-15 dollars each. Should I buy now, or would these drop further in price?
I thought I saw them cheaper than that. I always thought I'd spec on the Horizon lands some day and I ended up seeing good prices on FB.

I bought a bunch of Nurturing Peatland, Fiery Islet, Waterlogged Grove, and Silent Clearing for between $4.20-7.50 each. The seller on FB was Aldrin Ganac on the Magic the Gathering FS group. I wouldn't pay $10-15, although I do think that they will be much more than that long-term.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ah, I see! thanks for that info.

will wait a little bit more before buying.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

checked the prices some days ago. Wanted a few copies of Skyclave Apparition... and surprised, the thing is 8-10 dollars already. I guess the card is being used by a lot of people..

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
checked the prices some days ago. Wanted a few copies of Skyclave Apparition... and surprised, the thing is 8-10 dollars already. I guess the card is being used by a lot of people..
that card is basically played in standard, modern and legacy so I wouldn't expect it to drop much below that.

I managed to get 2 foil copies of Dark Confidant yesterday. Pretty happy with that

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 3 years ago

Prices of any one card also depend on the price of the rest of the box for in print boxes in plentiful supply. Apparition sucks up a fair chunk of the price because a lot of other cards in its box are cheap
It is a widely played card, and has nestled into 3 formats with some use.
, as pointed out above, I agree it won't go down....

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, would have to bite the price if I would fnm again. The opponent not getting back what was exiled makes it good.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it's surprising how prices of some cards dropped. Noble Hierarch is only a 10 dollar card now, I remember this thing being 50 something only a year ago.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

noticed that Bitterblossom is at the 50 dollar range now. Did something cause this card to spike?

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
noticed that Bitterblossom is at the 50 dollar range now. Did something cause this card to spike?
I'm assuming it's because it hasn't been reprinted in a set in a while.

Don't even imagine trying to look at the price of Auriok Champion according to my friends. I bought 2 IMA ones for $6 over a year ago and was pissed to pay that much. Now I need 2 more, supposedly, to play Heliod Company. :(
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

oh my... Auriok Champion at 40 dollars each.. I thought the card was weak years ago. Is it part of a strong deck now?

ThatStoryTeller

Post by ThatStoryTeller » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
oh my... Auriok Champion at 40 dollars each.. I thought the card was weak years ago. Is it part of a strong deck now?
Heliod Company would be said strong deck iirc. its 2 white pips for heliod, sun-crowned AND helps the ballista kill by gaining you 1 life to add the extra counter to walking ballista

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the info. Heliod Ballista combo is indeed strong.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it's amazing that utopia Sprawl is suddenly 10-12 dollars. Last time I checked it was only at 4.

maybe the new enhcantress cards are raising it's price?

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 2 years ago

MH2 prices are taking an adjustment on Coolstuffinc today. Dakkon fell from 26 to 16, Ragavan from 85 to 50, some of the cheaper rares are getting .50 shaved off, etc. Solitude dropped below Endurance.

I'm still waiting on bigger drops, but it's happening.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

is 10-11 usd a fair price for Skyclave apparition? Many online stores are selling it for that much.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Arkmer wrote:
2 years ago
MH2 prices are taking an adjustment on Coolstuffinc today. Dakkon fell from 26 to 16, Ragavan from 85 to 50, some of the cheaper rares are getting .50 shaved off, etc. Solitude dropped below Endurance.

I'm still waiting on bigger drops, but it's happening.
On TCG prices are in freefall today.

Last night when I checked Garth One-Eye was around $6, now he is down to around $4.50, for example. And Geyadrone Dihada is below $3.00 which is weird for a planeswalker mythic in a premium set on release weekend. Even the worse planeswalkers seem to hover around $10 for a couple of weeks after release.

I wouldn't be surprised if prices drop further for all but the chase stuff like Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer and maybe the Fetchlands (I can never get a good handle on their prices after reprints). This seems like a set that is going to be open a ton, pumping all of the value into the few chase cards. I actually don't mind that as most of the cards I want are not the chase cards.

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 2 years ago

Buy fetchlands this weekend. They are the lowest they will be for a LONG time. They usually dip HARD within 1-3 days of release before steadying off for a while and then creeping back up. Best to get em during the initial flood of sellers trying to undercut each other. I'm personally looking for foil Misty Rainforests, which seem to be able to be had in the low-mid $40s. Which is NUTS.

Mtgthewary

Post by Mtgthewary » 2 years ago

that's not true anymore since Amazon sells on waves. set prices are lowest 6 month after. prices go down.... release... prices go up for a while... prices crushes. this is now how it works

Arebennian

Post by Arebennian » 2 years ago

https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/article/ ... 16e09cb95/

Think this article suggests buying fetches over the weekend was probably the way to go. I'm not sure the Amazon effect will impact commander staples (which, in reality, are a category that fetch lands fit into).

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 2 years ago

What do we think about Ragavan price going forward? Will it just keep rising until banned?
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Tzoulis

Post by Tzoulis » 2 years ago

robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
What do we think about Ragavan price going forward? Will it just keep rising until banned?
Should we ban Bolt, Swiftspear, Stoneforge and Thoughtseize as well?

robertleva

Tzoulis wrote:
2 years ago
robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
Should we ban Bolt, Swiftspear, Stoneforge and Thoughtseize as well?
No? But those cards dont do as much as Ragavan. There is no question Ragavan is way beyond the power level of cards on the banlist. The only question is...how long? How long until it too becomes banned? This is the main issue because you can't keep DRS on the list and keep a straight face when confronted with one of the best red cards ever printed. I'm not exaggerating either, Ragavan is pushed way past the line.
Robert Leva

Tzoulis

Post by Tzoulis » 2 years ago

robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
No? But those cards dont do as much as Ragavan. There is no question Ragavan is way beyond the power level of cards on the banlist. The only question is...how long? How long until it too becomes banned? This is the main issue because you can't keep DRS on the list and keep a straight face when confronted with one of the best red cards ever printed. I'm not exaggerating either, Ragavan is pushed way past the line.
When Ragavan just taps for:

1. Mana
2. Graveyard hate to:
2.1 Gain life
2.2 Present a clock

THEN ban it. The comparison is beyond absurd. Ragavan MUST connect to give you the treasure, DRS requires either player's graveyard to exist. in a format with ample blockers and one of the premier spells being Lava Dart, Ragavan is not a problem. So, yes, you are exaggerating; as you've done with Urza's Saga. Yes, it's pushed, that doesn't mean it needs a ban. People screamed about Grief and that it should get banned, and it looks like it'll end up the worst of the cycle, surpassed by even Fury; likewise for Dauthi Voidwalker,

Stop looking for cards to ban less than a week into a new (paper) format. Stop stoking the fires of banmania on the basis of just a couple of weeks worth of data. You're just adding to the noise by doing sweeping proclamations with limited data and asinine comparisons.

robertleva

Tzoulis wrote:
2 years ago
robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
When Ragavan just taps for:

1. Mana
2. Graveyard hate to:
2.1 Gain life
2.2 Present a clock

THEN ban it. The comparison is beyond absurd. Ragavan MUST connect to give you the treasure, DRS requires either player's graveyard to exist. in a format with ample blockers and one of the premier spells being Lava Dart, Ragavan is not a problem. So, yes, you are exaggerating; as you've done with Urza's Saga. Yes, it's pushed, that doesn't mean it needs a ban. People screamed about Grief and that it should get banned, and it looks like it'll end up the worst of the cycle, surpassed by even Fury; likewise for Dauthi Voidwalker,

Stop looking for cards to ban less than a week into a new (paper) format. Stop stoking the fires of banmania on the basis of just a couple of weeks worth of data. You're just adding to the noise by doing sweeping proclamations with limited data and asinine comparisons.
Lol Rag does so much for 1 mana it's obscene, but if it were stuck with summoning sickness the card probably wouldnt see a ton of play. The Dash option is what makes the card seriously bonkers. The card will be banned, it's only a matter of time. I've been right about every card that has needed to be banned since way before MH1. I highly doubt I'm way off the mark on this one. That doesn't mean you shouldnt jam the hell out of of it for now. Do it man.

Modern's mantra: Jam it til they ban it.
Robert Leva

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”