UR Phoenix: more tempo/combo than control but may fit you playstyle
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/m ... 3536#paper

simic or temur control don´t exist or are worst version of the decks above

ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

Mr. Yellow wrote:
4 years ago
Im a Ad Nauseam player and recently put together a mono blue control list (thing in the ice, snapcaster, jace, archmagues charm, cryptic..) and since i like the idea, the performance is very meh.
I dont like UW so, what deck you recommend me? (i like combo, i saw lists with kiki/pestermite or madcap experiment, but i dont know if are competitive, and saw some blue/green temur flash control that seems interesting.)
Thanks!
You might really enjoy Pitch Blue: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=249

Pitch Blue uses planeswalkers, countermagic, free spells, and other traditional mono blue tools to control the game and eventually lock opponents out with Narset and other tools. I think this deck is pretty underrated right now, largely because Hogaak is so oppressive and warping, but this is a solid deck option for the future.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

Yawgmoth
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

CavalryWolfPack wrote:
4 years ago
I've been playing Skred for 3 years. I love it to death, but as time passes I'm having a harder time actually competing. I don't really care about winning so much as having fun, and I'm not a tournament grinder by any means. I would describe myself as an FNM hero, personally. As such, I need something else to make Magic enjoyable again. Here's all that I'm considering, currently.

RB Vial Goblins
BG Death Cloud
Big Zoo

So, to me it's pretty obvious that I enjoy aggressive midrange, with very few decks I've ever enjoyed playing being grindy midrange. So, out of these three, which should I go with? My meta is a lot of UW, Burn, and Spirits.
I've been brewing with RB Goblins recently and I think it has a lot of untapped potential. There have been a number of great classic goblin cards recently reprinted into modern which makes the archetype viable. I enjoy playing archetypes that are less solidified in a format as it gives me something to tinker with so I really enjoy goblins. While I've been trying to make modern goblins work for years, the new gobos really supercharged the deck.

As far as play style, I think you can go either more aggro or grindy depending on build (or even combo) with goblins.

Finally, most of the essential goblin cards are dirt cheep so can you put something together to try out without making a huge commitment. I think the only expensive pieces are goblin guide warren instigator aether vial auntie's hovel none of which are mission critical.

My vote is goblins!

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Note: this deck I'm asking advice for is only for fun in fnm. Already have a Mardu Pyro deck for more serious modern play.

Which fnm deck would be nicer to give funds to? A gbu abominable treefolk snow, or a rb goblins deck? For the snow deck.. I'm missing some dead of winter, treefolk, coatl, and a few more snow covered lands. For the gobs deck I need to buy a whole bunch of gobs. Well, have the funds.. just cannot decide.

Which deck do people think would be better supported by wizards with additional cards in future sets?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

leviatancl

Post by leviatancl » 4 years ago

between a multicolor 4 cc "do nothing/dies to doom blade" and one of the famous tribes out there...
not a competition IMHO, go goblins!

Yawgmoth

Like you, I have mardu pyro for competitive play. I have my RB gobos for fun. Lots of reasons to play them right now (see above).

ktkenshinx

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Note: this deck I'm asking advice for is only for fun in fnm. Already have a Mardu Pyro deck for more serious modern play.

Which fnm deck would be nicer to give funds to? A gbu abominable treefolk snow, or a rb goblins deck? For the snow deck.. I'm missing some dead of winter, treefolk, coatl, and a few more snow covered lands. For the gobs deck I need to buy a whole bunch of gobs. Well, have the funds.. just cannot decide.

Which deck do people think would be better supported by wizards with additional cards in future sets?
Definitely go with Goblins. That's a tribe that typically gets support from Wizards in random products and is actually somewhat competitive. It's definitely capable of 3-2 or better MTGO performances on a regular basis, so it should be totally fine for FNM as well.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the advice everyone. Will put the snow deck on hold, and will place the goblin cards back to my scg cart. :)
Have a friend who has merfolk from whom I can borrow a set aether vial for using with the gobs.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
thanks for the advice everyone. Will put the snow deck on hold, and will place the goblin cards back to my scg cart. :)
Have a friend who has merfolk from whom I can borrow a set aether vial for using with the gobs.
Yeah I second this. Outside of Bring to Light Scapeshift with Ice-Fang Coatl, I think Goblins is more competitive. I'm not sure why, but if you make it to the middle to late game, there are a lot of options. It also has the ability to kill quickly depending on how many Lords/cost reducers you play.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Erian Ignis

Post by Erian Ignis » 4 years ago

Is Titanshift viable right now? Yes, no, why? Was thinking of sticking my set of W&6 into Titanshift.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Erian Ignis wrote:
4 years ago
Is Titanshift viable right now? Yes, no, why? Was thinking of sticking my set of W&6 into Titanshift.
Definitely check out the FB group. Most of them don't believe it is. I have conformed to a list with 3 Relic of Progenitus main board, 4 Path to Exile, with 4 Leyline of the Void and Celestial Purge side board. I think the deck is a little under 50% vs. Hogaak, which is sad because I conformed the deck to contend with Hogaak. So the short version is no, Titanshift is not. There are games when you Path what you need, you Anger the Rest and crack a Relic of Progenitus while ramping up to Scapeshift. But there's other games where that does NOT happen and you get run over.

Is Titanshift viable at the GP level? In my opinion, no. I have all but given up on it; just doing a bit more testing since I really would love to beat Jund/UW Control/Dredge/Humans/Tron at the GP and Titanshift is ready for that. It's a bit sad because if you can't contend with Hogaak, it will run you over in addition to the losses from Mono Red Phoenix and Burn.

Is it viable at your own shop? Only you can answer that. Good luck.

Lastly, W&6 has proven fairly mediocre in Titanshift. You can try it, but it doesn't solve any problems that Titanshift currently has. Think about this - how many times have you wanted a land or 2 while there is a fetch in your yard and you can give up a single card to get that?
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

Erian Ignis

I see. I am trying to find something which can use W&6 to its fullest.

Is Jund the only viable option then? I have no access to LotV, Tarmogoyf or some of the other Jund staples.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Erian Ignis wrote:
4 years ago
I see. I am trying to find something which can use W&6 to its fullest.

Is Jund the only viable option then? I have no access to LotV, Tarmogoyf or some of the other Jund staples.
You can try it. You can always brew it in decks and try them out. A local player has found success with W&6 in Zoo, but that may not be for you. He has done incredibly well with the deck though; probably the best of any player in the past 3 months (and it's a competitive FNM).
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Erian Ignis

I rather prefer combo or control playstyles, but yeah. Perhaps a crazy 4 or 5 color Zoo with W&6 could be viable.

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

This ones pretty nutty.

UR Control UR

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Erian Ignis wrote:
4 years ago
I rather prefer combo or control playstyles, but yeah. Perhaps a crazy 4 or 5 color Zoo with W&6 could be viable.
The guy who runs it at my LGS was on mtgsalvation. I don't know if he made the crossover to mtgnexus. He simply runs Naya with Noble Hierarch, Wild Nacatl, Knight of the Reliquary, Tarmogoyf, flex slots taken by Bloodbraid Elf, Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, W&6, and some other flex slots. I know he likes Dromoka's Command in the SB, sometimes Gaddock Teeg, sometimes Blood Moon (yes he runs a basic Forest and a basic Plains), Kessig Wolf Run, Ghost Quarter, sometimes Bojuka Bog, naya fetches and lands, Horizon Canopy. Not sure what else. 3 colors.
idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
This ones pretty nutty.

Thanks. This list looks pretty sick.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Ym1r

Post by Ym1r » 4 years ago

Personally, I love the Temur Moon and Grixis Green lists with W6. They seem super spicy and you get to leverage the modern legal Baleful Strix, because you can play snow lands.
Counter, draw a card.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I second this. Outside of Bring to Light Scapeshift with Ice-Fang Coatl, I think Goblins is more competitive. I'm not sure why, but if you make it to the middle to late game, there are a lot of options. It also has the ability to kill quickly depending on how many Lords/cost reducers you play.
yeah. for some reason the gobs are strong. I've played a few times against the Goblin Grenade version a few years ago. The gob decks today seem to be even better with the recent addition of matron and ringleader.

Erian Ignis

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
This ones pretty nutty.

This actually looks pretty sick. I am even tempted to try Oath of Nissa with it.
Ym1r wrote:
4 years ago
Personally, I love the Temur Moon and Grixis Green lists with W6. They seem super spicy and you get to leverage the modern legal Baleful Strix, because you can play snow lands.
Temur Moon? That sounds interesting. I've zero experience with it though, what is a sample decklist?

Ym1r

Post by Ym1r » 4 years ago

Erian Ignis wrote:
4 years ago

Ym1r wrote:
4 years ago
Temur Moon? That sounds interesting. I've zero experience with it though, what is a sample decklist?
I would suggest starting with something along these lines: http://magic.facetofacegames.com/the-de ... Dv6wFU1Pec

A very good article and a good base for the deck.

This 4c Snow however is what I would play:
Counter, draw a card.

Erian Ignis

Those are so many ideas, now I don't know what to try first.

Although I am always attracted to anything with Blue in it.

ktkenshinx

Erian Ignis wrote:
4 years ago
Those are so many ideas, now I don't know what to try first.

Although I am always attracted to anything with Blue in it.
Channel Fireball and Frank Karsten posted ALL GP Birmingham decklists here:

This is a great resource to see recently performing top Modern lists. Here are some blue standouts:

UW Control (T8): https://my.cfbevents.com/deck/view/69f2 ... d410d6b32e
Snowherder (21st place): https://my.cfbevents.com/deck/view/65f2 ... 42eafedd13
Merfolk (29th place): https://my.cfbevents.com/deck/view/008c ... cca4f25d01
UW Spirits (31st place): https://my.cfbevents.com/deck/view/d7d0 ... 364a8b4578
Jeskai Control (54th place): https://my.cfbevents.com/deck/view/6b32 ... 68f2046cb5

Yawgmoth

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
yeah. for some reason the gobs are strong. I've played a few times against the Goblin Grenade version a few years ago. The gob decks today seem to be even better with the recent addition of matron and ringleader.
With Modern Horizons goblins also got a couple of cards that really reward running RB over monoRed.

There's an infinite damage/mana loop with murderous redcap, skirk prospector, and metallic mimic. On its own it's fun but not worth relying on. However, with putrid goblin there are now two persist goblins which makes me more interested in running them alongside prospector and mimic for shenanigans.

Even without mimic, the persist goblins in combo with prospector can give you a small ramp and also multiple triggers for something like pashalik mons . Saccing redcap to prospector with Mons out can do 6 damage and net 2 mana.

If you get a knucklebone witch out turn one then looping sacs to prospector on turn 2-3 (like described above) can often give you a creature which is swinging for 5+ damage. Knucklebone witch also gets counters instead of a temporary +1/+0 buff like most gobos which means she is safe from bolts and can block/attack on subsequent turns. The fact that she doesn't lose her buffs each turn means that you get more value out of pumping her up compared to some other beaters (looking at you goblin piledriver).

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I have an important question that I probably already know the answer too. But at the same time, I appreciate anyone's replies and will read them completely and take them into consideration.

I have played in 4 MCQs this season. I haven't made the top 8 of any of these. Of course, the goal is to win one and qualify. It's been quite a while since qualifying - many, many years ago. My closest (this season) has been the recent one at 6-2 with Titanshift, losing to GDS 0-2 and Burn baaaarely 1-2.

These are my choices of decks to play for the MCQ.
1. Whirza - I believe this is the best deck. Many people from the MCQ also are of this opinion. My friend qualified for the first time JUST last week with the deck. He did give us more background, as we didn't get to talk to him about it until much later, at least the specifics. He said that he dodged a lot of the hate.
2. Titanshift - I know this deck like the palm of my hand. It is a very consistent deck and I like that. It is very straightforward, but there is some room, especially with deck building, to move around in matchups a tiny bit. But I am starting to be a little unsure about whether this is the winning deck. I know I can make the top 8, but making the top 8 is not the goal. It may seem like the goal right now since I've missed it a bunch, but it's not the ultimate goal.
3. Neoform - I think if I want to win the tournament, Neoform may even be a better option than Titanshift. Even though it's not consistent, it's super explosive and I need to spike the tournament (which is easier than in a GP). I can definitely imagine myself winning with Neoform, whereas I imagine losing in the top 4 (at best) or something with Titanshift.

The main decks I expected were Tron, Jund, Whirza, Burn, and UW Control. My last tournament didn't disappoint. I did dodge Jund, which there were tons of, and I dodged UW Control, which seems to have gone down. My opinion on why it's gone down is Whirza is a rough matchup for them. On an outside bet, I also expected to play against 1 Humans since it's a local team choice and Titanshift and Whirza STOOOMP Humans.

So, what do you think is the best choice and why?

For what it's worth, I've been casually testing Whirza since it came out, testing Titanshift for forever in multiple formats, and Neoform quite a bit a few weeks ago and before the GP Las Vegas.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Erian Ignis

I am not sure where to post this, as I see no thread about it yet, but what is people's opinions on that new 5-Color Niv Mizzet deck?

Already do I have all the cards needed on account of already having almost every Modern staple. I am probable building it, but I am unsure as to which meta is best suited for it. Is it a control deck, is it a midrange deck, what is it?

Needless to say, having a deck full of gold cards is simply cool.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”