Deputy of Detention vs Skyclave Apparition

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Given that these two compete very closely in what they do, which do you think is more appropriate assuming you were to make room for one of the two? Skyclave Apparition has the upside of perma exiling whatever you zap with it but it has limitations in targeting and chump blocks worse vs some of the aggro decks.

Obviously there is going to be some level of "it depends on the deck" but I just though I wanted to see some insight on the two of them in general. I am trying to think of some situations where there is a must answer threat that both could hit that would backfire if removal gave them back their threat. Ensnaring Bridge decks rarely run creature removal.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Skyclave Apparition is my preference so far, though I have not played it, because of being a Recruiter of the Guard target and far more oppressive with repeated blinks.

That said, the CMC limitation is real, just becoming less and less so the more curves trend downward.

Edit: Woops, I somehow misread the forum on this, sorry :)
Last edited by pokken 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Skyclave Apparition is my preference so far, though I have not played it, because of being a Recruiter of the Guard target and far more oppressive with repeated blinks.

That said, the CMC limitation is real, just becoming less and less so the more curves trend downward.
Recruiter of the Guard is not modern legal. Im a bigger fan of Deputy of Detention personally due to the multiple cards of the same name clause on it. It really helps against Dredge and the oddball token decks that show up.

That said I am also playing it in UW Death and Taxes so It fills a very specific role for me and I'm already in both colors.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

I heard the apparition is being useful in legacy.

here in modern, with smart play, the token would usually be worse for them than the card that was exiled.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 3 years ago

This is not even close. How many vanilla 3/3s for 3 or 4/4s for 4 are played in Modern? That should give you a benchmark on how often giving your opponent their card back vs giving them a token is better or worse.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Bearscape wrote:
3 years ago
This is not even close. How many vanilla 3/3s for 3 or 4/4s for 4 are played in Modern? That should give you a benchmark on how often giving your opponent their card back vs giving them a token is better or worse.
The only one I can really think of offhand is Gurmag Angler but Skyclave Apparition can't target that one. Hitting a Death's Shadow and making it be a 1/1 if they use removal would be nice....

It's tough because I think you are right that the Skyclave Apparition token is probably better for us than returning the target but the targeting superiority of Deputy of Detention makes me pause.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

drekonja

Post by drekonja » 3 years ago

I think Skyclave apparition is better, but in my UW liege list I must be content with Deputy of detention because it works better with liege and Steel of godhead :)

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

Imho it goes

1. Detention Sphere
2. Scyclave
3. All the rest
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”