Is Vintage still alive/played

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Gelcur » 4 years ago

Player from way back in the day. I'm always up for a good game of Vintage but I think last time I saw anything about a large tournament was in Spain, maybe last year? Do people still play? None of the shops in my area seem to have any desire to host Vintage.
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Gelcur wrote:
4 years ago
Player from way back in the day. I'm always up for a good game of Vintage but I think last time I saw anything about a large tournament was in Spain, maybe last year? Do people still play? None of the shops in my area seem to have any desire to host Vintage.
Two months later, someone replies.

My guess is no for regular events. I live in one of the largest municipalities in NA (Toronto, fourth largest, largest in Canada) and even Legacy is scarce or non-existent. I think people are just kind of priced out of the format, and there aren't enough old/rich people to sustain a scene.

I can't speak for the rest of North America, but for Toronto, it's definitely a 'no'.

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master

Oddly enough since my post I found a large Vintage event in the North America that happens yearly. I could not attend the tournament, previous plans, but they also had a make shift FNM (Vintage) edition the night before which I did get to.

It was fun even though I had to slap together a deck in a couple of hours and I was completely oblivious to how planeswalkers worked. I won the first game each round of the Swiss format but once sideboarded against I had no answers in my sideboard.

Another group there was playing a format I was unfamiliar with, maybe it was called Classic? Or old school? It was sets up until Fallen Empires. I watched a couple of games and I wish I had been playing with them, I could recognize all the cards and people were just laid back having fun.
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Gelcur wrote:
4 years ago
Another group there was playing a format I was unfamiliar with, maybe it was called Classic? Or old school? It was sets up until Fallen Empires. I watched a couple of games and I wish I had been playing with them, I could recognize all the cards and people were just laid back having fun.
There is a format called "93/94" or "Old School" that's played... in places. I don't really know where; I've never seen it, just heard of it online.

https://www.eternalcentral.com/9394rules/

RabidVacin

Post by RabidVacin » 4 years ago

WOTC will always have at least one format where the Power 9 is legal. The only way I could see them killing Vintage is if Old School gains steam.
That card is bad and you should feel bad for playing it.

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master

Yeah that was the format 93/94, Old School was thrown around too. I could see me getting into it. Honestly I was never a big fan of Force of Will anyway.

I could also see a format that went up until Planeswalkers were introduced. That is really when I lost interest in magic. Up until then I always came back and forth every couple of years to check in on the game. Planeswalkers really feel like they have made everything "foreign". *shrugs*
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vintage”