Hellkite Tyrant (Modern)

Gaea's Regent
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gaea's Regent » 4 years ago

Hellkite Tyrant

Hellkite Tyrant art by Aleksi Briclot

Six years ago, I made my first attempt at a Hellkite Tyrant deck (here) back when Vintage was yet to replace Classic in MTGO. When P9 came into MODO, the Casual room just got very weird, which probably triggered my hiatus. I started toying with Modern, because my silly Casual decks fared better there than in Vintage, against those guys with moxes and stuff.

Anyway, I just did a Modern version of this deck and I had a pretty close win against a mill deck, so I decided to share it. I won with 0 cards on my library. Feels good after a hiatus.

Hellkite Tyrant (Modern)
Approximate Total Cost:

I finally discovered a mana base that can replace my signature Tolarian Academy + Artifact Lands ramp in Modern. I use Lotus Bloom to help cast a Gilded Lotus and then use Voltaic Key on it. Inventors' Fair helps getting G. Lotus, while Trinket Mage can help get the other parts, and he can even get a Fair via Expedition Map.

I might make room for the fourth Master Transmuter as she proved to be quite useful to get Mycosynth Lattice out (eds.: done), and she can also get a Gilded Lotus in exchange for a tapped Darksteel Citadel.

That's how I won the game. My opponent milled me out and, with both Hellkite and Lattice in hand, I used Academy Ruins to put the Swiftfoot Boots on my library at the end of their turn. I was able to draw it, reaching 0 cards in library again. I used Master Transmuter to put Mycosynth Lattice in play and still had enough mana to cast the dragon and equip it. Haste, attack, steal all their stuff. My opponent conceded, but even if they hadn't, I already had 20+ artifacts and would have won with the dragon's ability before having to draw from my empty library. :cool:

Edit 2021: I found out that Mycosynth Lattice got banned from Modern, so I had to swipe it for a Memnarch and a couple Liquimetal Coatings, but the deck's combo is pretty much dead. :(
From Gaea grew the world, and the world was silent. From Gaea grew the world’s elves, and the world was silent no more. —Elvish teaching

:) :) :) :) :halo: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :halo: :) :cussing: :) :) :halo: :) :cussing:

Tags:

Return to “Casual”