Skelly: The Beginning

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 3 years ago

I started playing Magic around the time the original Ravnica block was new. My interest in Magic over the years has ebbed and waned, depending on my priorities at different points in my life, but when I moved to my current locale about 5 years ago, I regained a passion for the game. TCGs have always been a big part of my life - I love coming up with different decks using cards that I find interesting, fun, and even powerful, at times, and pitting my mettle against my foes'. At one point, I had a swath of Casual-60 decks, but found that a lot of the cards I was using were better for competitive formats, or even Commander, which I picked up at the same time I started playing Magic, again. I ended up taking those Casual-60 decks apart to use the pieces to build more powerful decks in other formats, and effectively ran out of people to play Casual-60 Magic with, so I had no need for non-Legacy/non-Commander decks.

After some time passed, I made new friends, and these friends were interested in playing some casual Magic with me, so, the need arose again for me to assemble some decks of that particular variety.

I had just taken apart my Reassembling Skeleton (one of my pet cards!) Pauper Commander deck, and was very fond of a number of the combos I was running in the deck, which I felt were best ported to a format where I could have 4 copies of certain cards and not get crushed for not building something that wins by T3 or 4. I actually played a variant of this in Arena for a bit, with much success. However, Skelly rotated out of Standard, so I needed another way to play him. This began my current set of 8 Casual-60 decks, which I've been slowly posting here over time. I'm not sure I'll be able to include a story for all of them, but if there's something relevant to the deck, I'll try! :grin:

Without further ado, this is the deck that started my re-descent into Casual-60: Skelly.
Skelly
Approximate Total Cost:

This deck has gone through lots of tuning over time, and I'm pretty happy with its current iteration. The most recent addition was the playset of Death Baron, and I strongly considered adding Tormod, the Desecrator - which I may still do at some point (would probably swap out Rite of Belzenlok for him?) - but I've done a looot of testing with this deck. RIP Sanitarium Skeleton and Demon of Death's Gate. :P I wanted to make Skirsdag High Priest work, but...it simply didn't. Any time I had a Morbid trigger, I didn't have enough creatures out to activate the ability. Live and learn!

I'm realizing, as I type this, that this game has held a lot of fond memories for me over the years, so, I'm giving thanks to all of the friends I've made by posting about Magic on forums and such for all the good times. Thank you all.

Enjoy the deck!
Last edited by Diz 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

I like the list a lot Iso. Have you considerered Ayara, First of Locthwain or over the Rite of Belzenlok?

Also Cabal Therapist seems very fun in the list if you made space.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

I love your casual lists.
I agree on Ayara, First of Locthwain though. It's definitely something I'd try in the deck.
I'd also think Demon of Catastrophes would be overall better than Rites of Belzenlok
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Diz
Griever

Ooh, I really like the suggestion of Ayara. Thanks, both of you!

Cabal Therapist seems just a little too oppressive for my playgroups, since I know my friends' decks a little too well, at this point, but if that weren't the case, I would absolutely run it, possibly over Mind Swords.

Ayara and Tormod are the two main replacements I'm considering for Rite. Maybe take out Mind Swords and Rite and put in 2 of each?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

at first glance at the list, I thought it was a zombie deck. Then saw 8 skeletons. Death Baron is a perfect fit for this deck, as it pumps both the skeletons and zombies. Played Quest for the Gravelord during zen standard, so I know this thing is strong. Deck theme seems to be so sacrifice recurring creatures to cast strong spells.

not sure what to suggest as I don't know the power level of the decks you are playing against.
but that looks like a fine deck already, to play against those new to mtg.

would have been cool, if you were our neighbor. Looks like you have many fun decks.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Diz
Griever

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
at first glance at the list, I thought it was a zombie deck. Then saw 8 skeletons. Death Baron is a perfect fit for this deck, as it pumps both the skeletons and zombies. Played Quest for the Gravelord during zen standard, so I know this thing is strong. Deck theme seems to be so sacrifice recurring creatures to cast strong spells.

not sure what to suggest as I don't know the power level of the decks you are playing against.
but that looks like a fine deck already, to play against those new to mtg.

would have been cool, if you were our neighbor. Looks like you have many fun decks.
If you're ever in my area, would love to play with you! Thanks for the compliment.

I think I will be doing the Rite and Swords replacement with Ayara and Tormod; it harshens the curve a bit, but I'll report back if I notice any difference. I've had fewer and fewer opportunities to play Casual-60 Magic, lately, unfortunately. :(

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

would have liked to playtest my pioneer dinosaur deck against your fun decks. Based on lists I've seen you post, we are on similar power level. When there was no corona, two friends would visit my house, usually we start at 2 pm in the afternoon, playing until sundown. Two cousins also live nearby who play mtg - although their decks are mostly legacy legal only. Having said that, unfortunately we are not same country, so the best I could do is view and give opinion on your decks.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Diz
Griever

I have purchased 2 Tormods and 2 Ayaras for the deck. Will let you know how it shapes up when I get to test it in who knows how many months. :rofl:
Last edited by Diz 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 2 years ago

So uh. Skelly can contend with Miracles.

There were some misplays on both sides - I could have ended the game like, 3 turns sooner, and he missed a Counterbalance trigger that would have resulted in a successful counter, but damn. Death Baron, Desecrated Tomb, and Tormod did work.

Didn't end up drawing Ayara, but I suspect she would have been good.

Tormod had difficulties with Karakas, but he always managed to stay out when it was important.

I also had a clutch Spark Harvest topdeck against JTMS after getting Fatesealed.

Didn't fare so well against D&T - after I punched through Mom with a double Spark Harvest, I still had a Butterskull with SoFaI equipped to deal with, and after using so much targeted removal on Mom, he dropped another and I was screwed.

Also, I do NOT regret adding Dread Wanderer to the deck in place of Sanny. Boy does some WORK. It's also fun and mildly challenging to figure out how I want to time my Innocent Bloods/Village Rites with Quest for the Gravelords to ensure I get down to 1 or fewer cards in my hand for Wanderer, and making sure I'm not needlessly sacrificing resources to get something else. Surprised I didn't draw a single Skelly, but I won through the resolution of Terminus 3 times with mostly token creatures that had no recursion, bwaha.

(My misplay was not sacrificing my Wanderer instead of a bat token for Village Rites when I knew Terminus was the next card he was gonna cast, but I ended up with enough damage to make it through. Two Zombie Giants timed to give a middle finger to Terminus are hard to deal with, even when he StP'd one of them.)

So...yeah. This deck absolutely isn't Legacy-viable, but it can contend with things that aren't prepared for it, and that's good enough for me.
Last edited by Diz 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Diz
Griever

Update: Ayara really isn't what the deck wanted. She's been disappointing and underwhelming every time I've drawn her. She and Mind Swords have been pulled from the list.

That said...Death Tyrant IMMEDIATELY grabbed my attention for a slot in this deck. I was having difficulty finding an opportune time/ability to cast Tormod and Rite, though (the latter of which I have since cut from the list), so I thought, "Well, how the hell am I gonna cast a 5-drop if a 4-drop is already harsh on my mana?"

Enter Culling the Weak. I cut 1 Spark Harvest, 1 Innocent Blood, and 1 Village Rites so that I have a spread of 3/3/3/3 utility cards that require sacrificing a creature, and Culling the Weak should potentially be able to power out a Death Tyrant, which was basically made for this deck. After all, it doesn't say non-token creature. :^)

I slotted 2 Tyrants in where Ayara once was, and I'm looking forward to testing this iteration of the deck. Will come back with results when able.

Diz
Griever

Got to test Skelly this past weekend against an Assembly-Worker deck. It was a pretty intense match-up, and basically came down to a race to see who could generate more tokens more quickly. Unfortunately, I did not win that race, but I felt that Culling the Weak definitely earned its keep, allowing me to accelerate out a Tormod for a lot of value. Unfortunately, I didn't draw an actual Skelly - though I got all of my Gutterbones and Dread Wanderers - and Quest for the Gravelord and Desecrated Tomb did work (albeit not enough work to win). My friend's Mishra's Self-Replicator with Urzatron lands was just too much to deal with. Almost makes you want to run Damnation in a Casual-60 deck...buuut that's not gonna happen!

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 1 year ago

I no longer own this deck, but I did port some of the strategies over to my Sidisi Commander deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”