agh, everything in the deck costs 3

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

does anyone have opinions on how you compensate for a deck being glutted around CMC 3? particularly when you're trying to make a threat-dense deck that isn't mainly a stack of rocks and tutors? don't mind if you're talking about highlander or not.

I was toying with a zombiecentric deck where I wanted to play Haakon, Stromgald Scourge with Liliana's Standard Bearer, and maybe use Stronghold Assassins to sacrifice the bearers in a productive way... but all the world's zombie lords cost 3 and, though she's non-zombie, Ayara, First of Locthwain would slot in amazingly too, then I just look at the mana and despair. Naturally the only non-green zombie who taps for black mana costs three - Vesper Ghoul. Is the only means to solve this through spending money on various rocks and broken Coffer lands? I really really wanna dodge as much traditional good-stuff as I can because I'm now just building decks with the cards I already own, not planning to buy more, and I am already profoundly out of Sol Rings. Things like Jet Medallion are completely absent from my collection, I'm afraid.

One thing I have found that eases the burden is running Karoos and RAV bouncelands - later on in the game you're ahead on mana without having to dig for more land and I respect that small advantage.

Tags:

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 3 years ago

Have you considered making swaps in your deck to accommodate a reasonable early game? You may not get to run everything you want, but what's the harm in adding something like Dread Wanderer to flatten out your curve a little bit?

mayomayo72218
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by mayomayo72218 » 8 months ago

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
does anyone have opinions on how you compensate for a deck being glutted around CMC 3? particularly when you're trying to make a threat-dense deck that isn't mainly a stack of rocks and tutors? don't mind if you're talking about highlander or not.

I was toying with a zombiecentric deck where I wanted to play Haakon, Stromgald Scourge with Liliana's Standard Bearer, and maybe use Stronghold Assassins to sacrifice the bearers in a productive way... but all the world's zombie lords cost 3 and, though she's non-zombie, Ayara, First of Locthwain Vampire Survivors would slot in amazingly too, then I just look at the mana and despair. Naturally the only non-green zombie who taps for black mana costs three - Vesper Ghoul. Is the only means to solve this through spending money on various rocks and broken Coffer lands? I really really wanna dodge as much traditional good-stuff as I can because I'm now just building decks with the cards I already own, not planning to buy more, and I am already profoundly out of Sol Rings. Things like Jet Medallion are completely absent from my collection, I'm afraid.

One thing I have found that eases the burden is running Karoos and RAV bouncelands - later on in the game you're ahead on mana without having to dig for more land and I respect that small advantage.
Ohh! that sounds like a good trick, I've never run it like that!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”