multiplayer casual brews

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

For anyone who wants to talk about multiplayer decks they've made, or ideas for new decks, or experiences they've had as a response to their brews, etc! The casual section here is fairly dead what with the pandemic situation and the ascendance of Commander as an optimized format, but sometimes you just wanna make a deck that isn't pointed enough for any competitive scene, that still runs four-ofs. Suggest improvements for previous decks or post your own! Of course you can just post concepts, this isn't proof of purchase or anything!

Anyway,
The new Spirit of Malevolence from M21 made me think of this old idea:
Spirit Gum

The Disk:

Other stuff:

Very sketchy landbase (just wanted to run eight copies of an effect that'd reclaim Thief of Hope!)

17 Swamp
Approximate Total Cost:

Thief of Hope doubles up on Spirit of Malevolence in two senses and creates unprofitable chump blocks while you're saving up for more controlling spells. If you get deep enough into the turn count you'll have lots of mana and lots of ways to churn, so much so that I considered including Corpse Churn for thematic completeness! Nevy's Disk plus Cauldron Haze is well-trodden ground for a certain class of casual players and it looks like I'm one of them!

Naturally, if you come up against a spellslinger deck who doesn't mind having their board wrathed then you are absolutely toast!
sorta mad at magic right now

Tags:

Ginuqu

but who's arming them?
Approximate Total Cost:

Just a bit of fun. Adding any of the legendary Kamigawan orochi would ruin the joke. Shisato in particular has an unrealistic number of limbs!

Ginuqu

fancy that
Approximate Total Cost:

This started out as an attempt to put all my favourite Scry cards in a deck that used Knowledge and Power but in the process of going through my collection trying to find them, I hit upon Sentinel Tower, which ended doing the same job in a more efficient way, considering that Scry is printed on some really good instants and sorceries. I do miss Burning Prophet and Faerie Seer this way, which are both great cards. Mental Note over Preordain/Opt because I want to set up and reveal Past in Flames..

This deck still isn't really any good; even though there's so much scry and selection that you'll generally be hitting land drops, a lot of the actual land comes into play tapped and you wanna drag on the Mystic Sanctuaries anyway because they'll safe your life later. That slowness is often forgiven as soon as you hit a Devastation Tide, but you might not. I was wondering if anyone else who plays casual might suggest a few cards to speed up the mana side of the deck without cutting too many sorceries, and how they'd make the deck more dangerous against additional opponents? How many multiplayer people outside commander do we have around here, anyway? <3

Ginuqu

clacktribe list.png
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Sometimes I like to make a tribal deck without any of that Coat of Arms, Icon of Ancestry, Adaptive Automaton junk. This revolves around two four-of trolls who swell an opponent's board with useless tokens, who also have power 8 for a fairly low cost, which means Varolz can get real big later on. Grismold's strategy is basically a combination of what the other three do. I love Golgari trolls so much that I thought about adding a Grave Troll, but that's an overused card that kills tournament formats and things.

Grim Feast's price is ballooning right now and I'm not sure why. Just cos it's from an early set? It allows you to survive a big Last Laugh and the deck sets it up really efficiently, creating lots of tokens, being able to fire it with Beast Within and running creatures that can generally survive it or regenerate past it. Liliana's an expensive card so I only included one, but her skills add up to the same thing. Golgari forever! I was keeping the list under fifty dollars so the land is really stupid.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

maybe put something maindeck that will get rid of the faeries from Hunted Troll?

those four 1/1's can kill you if unblocked for some turns.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Ginuqu

Last Laugh the catch-all solution for the creature tokens you make! Like an automatic Pestilence.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

ah, nice one. Sorry, did not notice that's already in the deck.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”