Thassa's Oracle / Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Ok, these cards have been out for a while and really, I have been really displeased that they exist at all. The level of interaction that you need to instant speed stifle, counterspell, or remove a planeswalker leaves for incredibly narrow means of interaction. I believe I have heard about Thassa's Oracle from a comp standpoint especially in Doomsday setups but cEDH is far from my objective with this discussion.

I fear that they don't leave sufficient window of interaction and the speed at which you can achieve their effect is not sufficiently challenging to achieve. While many might consider the cards to be social taboo, the fact that they don't require infinite combos to achieve has left me encountering plenty of Lab Man style of decks in the past and while I wasn't happy about that the fact that he could be killed as a fragile creature felt acceptable as a trade off to me.

My argument towards banning these two cards is that the level of interaction for opponents is too narrow. Beyond needing very narrow they don't have a delay before winning generally as they hit play and win more or less immediately. The more tuned a deck is the faster they will execute their effects but I fear that these cards utilized at any level have issues.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

I understand you said cEDH isnt where thi is come from but I cannot help but think it would be another instance of EDH paying for cEDH sins. if you don't run them as a combo wincon/entire focus they are fair and hard to win with, right?

Yeah, I dislike sitting at a table and them losing on turn 4 out of nowhere, but doesnt arent the tables i'm interest in the end of the day. I build my deck to have fun long games, purposely leaving out infinite combos, loops and repetitive/unfun patterns for me and the other players. And I think that in those settings 99/100 times TO will be a big scry and 1 crazy game chulane will have had enough Draws and it gets the win.

I don't know if I'm being spoiled or something but I think regular casual EDH isnt unhealthy with them and trying to win fair with them is actually hard? so I don't like the idea of cards.

I just don't see it as a problem in "75%" EDH

Command
A Causal Tryhard
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Command » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I fear that they don't leave sufficient window of interaction and the speed at which you can achieve their effect is not sufficiently challenging to achieve. While many might consider the cards to be social taboo, the fact that they don't require infinite combos to achieve has left me encountering plenty of Lab Man style of decks in the past
Frankly I haven't seen a deck that can consistently pull of a lab man win without a combo other than say a Azami, Lady of Scrolls, and even that deck I don't see it commonly win. Sure, it can happen sometimes, but it happens not as often for it to be a problem.
Tryharding games without truly trying.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I have started seeing these way more often in more casual games. They're just so efficient. I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

They're not fun in casual games and they're not fun in competitive games. Straight up toxic all around.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Command wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I fear that they don't leave sufficient window of interaction and the speed at which you can achieve their effect is not sufficiently challenging to achieve. While many might consider the cards to be social taboo, the fact that they don't require infinite combos to achieve has left me encountering plenty of Lab Man style of decks in the past
Frankly I haven't seen a deck that can consistently pull of a lab man win without a combo other than say a Azami, Lady of Scrolls, and even that deck I don't see it commonly win. Sure, it can happen sometimes, but it happens not as often for it to be a problem.
There is a Toothy, Imaginary Friend deck I have played against that can draw his deck fairly consistently by turns 5-8 where I live. I would say with about 85% certainty that he can do that and he also runs a LOT of counter magic. I wouldn't call it cEDH but HOLY cow its not fun. I think there was a game he went off on turn 4 with a good fast mana start.

Its also really not hard in any UB shell. Black gives you tutors and even if you go with Inverter of Truth or insert whatever Doomsday alternative you want I wouldn't call it a very hard shell to assemble. There are actually a lot of ways to deck yourself at a very rapid rate outside of Doomsday.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken

The most common ways to empty your library played in CEDH are (in descending order)
I've seen pact and consult start showing up in non-competitive control shells because "you've gotta win somehow" often times with some kinda infinite mana/draw combo or Enter the Infinite as well. It's a pretty compact way to win off of infinite draw with rings/monolith combos which are not really that competitive these days.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Yea, I think the fact that it isn't an infinite combo to win with has pushed it as acceptable in a lot of the minds of less comp players. Its sort of along the lines of if you would see Felidar Sovereign as an acceptable wincon then you might see this as well. The problem is that its far cheaper to cast with a much narrower interaction type in blue no less.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

I want to chime in from the other side; I've seen these used as 'escape hatches' for decks that self-mill or draw too many cards. Their active game plan isn't to empty the library and then win via Lab Man analogues; I've seen people play for the card parity or to potentially set up a miracle.

I don't think they're too unreasonable; yes, they're hard to interact with and win the game, but, if someone's deck is focused on emptying their library (at whatever speed) and then winning with Oracle, I would venture that the problem is that you're playing against combo and don't especially like it. It's no worse than someone leveraging Ad Nauseam or similar combo pieces and winning with those, all of which are perfectly legal (and often, like AN, admit narrow interaction).

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

In principal, I don't see how playing these as a "just in case" or a "game has to end somehow" is any different from say putting Splinter Twin + Exarch combo in a spell slinger deck that otherwise has no use for Twin or Exarch.

If they are indeed as bad as they are in your playgroup, is asking for a banning the only way to discourage the playing of a certain card(s)? I mean, Armageddon has been bullied out of the format and has never sniffed a banning.

As for myself, I do not play any card expressly for use of just ending the game if it does nothing else in my deck. Do I prefer to play with people who share the same philosophy? Yes, but I don't mind playing with people who don't. Like if I have an Arcanis opponent, I'll ask if they have Mind Over Matter ahead of time so I can have a reasonable expectation of what type of game to play. If they refused to answer, that's okay too.
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
I want to chime in from the other side; I've seen these used as 'escape hatches' for decks that self-mill or draw too many cards. Their active game plan isn't to empty the library and then win via Lab Man analogues; I've seen people play for the card parity or to potentially set up a miracle.

I don't think they're too unreasonable; yes, they're hard to interact with and win the game, but, if someone's deck is focused on emptying their library (at whatever speed) and then winning with Oracle, I would venture that the problem is that you're playing against combo and don't especially like it. It's no worse than someone leveraging Ad Nauseam or similar combo pieces and winning with those, all of which are perfectly legal (and often, like AN, admit narrow interaction).
I always thought the anti-mill escape hatch was an Eldrazi, but yeah winning the game can be sort of an escape hatch too. :)

Sinis

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
In principal, I don't see how playing these as a "just in case" or a "game has to end somehow" is any different from say putting Splinter Twin + Exarch combo in a spell slinger deck that otherwise has no use for Twin or Exarch.
Emphasis mine. It's not solely just in case. Oracle and Jace have functions other than winning the game, and they're generically good; drawing cards, or selecting cards. It's not the same as Kiki-mite or Twin-Exarch with no other synergies.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago

Ad Nausium lists need to be a lot more tuned and in general and the way in which it operates often gives it a competitive combo feel. Ad Naus also has other purposes as just a card draw effect which is part of the RC's defense of cards like Hermit Druid. I guess....... technically Oracle / Jace do things outside of their combo..... but thats like saying Craterhoof Behemoth on an empty board isn't so threatening. I have actually played Ad Naus in several lists with no combos or ways of it immediately ending the games which is hard to say about Oracle / Jace. Nobody is playing Oracle / Jace for the intention of them outside of last few card plays. You might resort to that but that isn't why they are in your deck.

I am not saying that an Ad Naus list isn't / can't be better. Its more that I don't see 75% decks running Ad Naus combo but I do see players at all levels playing Thassa's Oracle / Jace. I have seen plenty of Laboratory Maniac in the past and while I am far from happy to see him at least he gives a lot more ways to interact with him. The fact that he costs 4 and requires you to still draw a card after playing him is SOOOOOOO much different than both Jace and Thassa who have less requirements to win following up as both can hit that condition themselves without an extra card and are so much harder to interact with.

Also, if someone wants a backup plan for emptying their library tell them to run Nexus of Fate. Technically you need to be able to do something beyond that (like profitably attack) but its also generally speaking a better card to draw outside of being the last card and it mills better. It is true that that doesn't always win you the game though but it feels strange to say that at least there are a few more ways to interact with it as an opponent. I guess thats why people run it though, its super hard to interact with and if you resolve it you very likely win.

Sinis

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Nobody is playing Oracle / Jace for the intention of them outside of last few card plays. You might resort to that but that isn't why they are in your deck.
I am. This feels like the Flash conversation again, where I mention a card has 'legitimate' uses, and then someone says "no one is using it that way" and I respectfully disagree.

These are like every other dumb card that wins the game. "No one ever plays Barren Glory for the Constellation trigger, they only want to win with it!"

I get what you're saying, but, I guess my experience has been that people aren't just jamming Thassa's Oracle or especially Jace just to win the game. I see people making value plays with them more than I see people win with them by a significant margin.
I am not saying that an Ad Naus list isn't / can't be better. Its more that I don't see 75% decks running Ad Naus combo but I do see players at all levels playing Thassa's Oracle / Jace.
I don't believe this is a bad thing.
I have seen plenty of Laboratory Maniac in the past and while I am far from happy to see him at least he gives a lot more ways to interact with him. The fact that he costs 4 and requires you to still draw a card after playing him is SOOOOOOO much different than both Jace and Thassa who have less requirements to win following up as both can hit that condition themselves without an extra card and are so much harder to interact with.
See, I like that these cards have utility other than 'win the game'. I think Laboratory Maniac (while more easily interacted with) is played less because there are no value oriented plays with him, rather than him just being inferior to Oracle/Jace at winning the game.
Also, if someone wants a backup plan for emptying their library tell them to run Nexus of Fate.
I can't agree, here. The face of your argument here is that someone taking infinite turns is less of a negative play experience than someone winning the game with Thassa's Oracle or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. I would rather someone just win with Oracle/Jace than have to play Nexus of Fate while possibly making small developments every turn until they can close the game out with whatever they have left, even if it is more prone to disruption (is it?).

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Sorry in advance, this is going to get messy to respond to.
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Nobody is playing Oracle / Jace for the intention of them outside of last few card plays. You might resort to that but that isn't why they are in your deck.
I am. This feels like the Flash conversation again, where I mention a card has 'legitimate' uses, and then someone says "no one is using it that way" and I respectfully disagree.

These are like every other dumb card that wins the game. "No one ever plays Barren Glory for the Constellation trigger, they only want to win with it!"

I get what you're saying, but, I guess my experience has been that people aren't just jamming Thassa's Oracle or especially Jace just to win the game. I see people making value plays with them more than I see people win with them by a significant margin.
I could use Biorhythm to help me against a lifegain deck too. Oracle / Jace aren't good cards outside of their win the game function and similarly to Bio it tends to be how they are played. It is rude of me to say that nobody will play it for its psudo scry effect but I also think that its a very weak card on that end of its play for this format. Its going to be a lot more limited to mono blue devotion style of plays with that and while I can't argue that it won't be played for that, I also think that a VAST majority of decks using it are not intending it for that purpose.

If you actually break down Thassa's Oracle for the dig function, I would say you need at least 6+ devotion digging before it becomes a somewhat reasonable card in that you could instead Impulse and get a card to hand instead of topdeck for the same mana with less color requirement. Impulse is far from a super used card and I think even at 6 its still somewhat of a weak card limited to mono blue decks digging for a wincon (likely a combo piece) but why dig for the combo piece when it is the combo piece?

Jace is likewise an incredibly weak play to throw out without the win in this format. The ability to protect walkers to generate value over time is something that is incredibly unlikely. If you look at most planeswalkers that see play in this format they tend to be ones that generate most of their value the turn they enter play. He is a red flags everywhere sort of play and my expectation to slow roll Jace and see him survive a turn rotation is incredibly low. Paying 4 mana to mill 2 draw 1 isn't a good play.

Barren Glory isn't a problem because it has a long delay, an incredibly hard setup, and gives all players time to respond to it. The speed of value and difficulty to interact with are in fact big reasons why things are or are not banned. If there was a 1W sorcery that said "you win" it would be banned right? Lots of the why things get banned in games like this comes down to how efficient, how easy, and how difficult they are to interact with.
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
I am not saying that an Ad Naus list isn't / can't be better. Its more that I don't see 75% decks running Ad Naus combo but I do see players at all levels playing Thassa's Oracle / Jace.
I don't believe this is a bad thing.
What should / shouldn't be banned is a polarizing topic that its hard to agree where said line is. Thats fine if you don't agree, I am just stating my thoughts on why I think it should be. Its not like everyone will ever agree to banned list thoughts.
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
I have seen plenty of Laboratory Maniac in the past and while I am far from happy to see him at least he gives a lot more ways to interact with him. The fact that he costs 4 and requires you to still draw a card after playing him is SOOOOOOO much different than both Jace and Thassa who have less requirements to win following up as both can hit that condition themselves without an extra card and are so much harder to interact with.
See, I like that these cards have utility other than 'win the game'. I think Laboratory Maniac (while more easily interacted with) is played less because there are no value oriented plays with him, rather than him just being inferior to Oracle/Jace at winning the game.
I am of the opinion that 95% of the reason to run both of these cards is in their 'win the game' function. I see your point and if I thought that Jace / Oracle had more merit outside of winning the game then I might be inclined to agree. In my experience though people horde these cards in hand and wait until they can win with them instead of just playing them out for whatever value they could be. As players get better and have more wincons and ways they can win I think they do tend to shift and be more accepting of playing cards to get what value they can when they can but many of the ways I see them played is with them as the primary wincons at which point players are less inclined to value play them.
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Also, if someone wants a backup plan for emptying their library tell them to run Nexus of Fate.
I can't agree, here. The face of your argument here is that someone taking infinite turns is less of a negative play experience than someone winning the game with Thassa's Oracle or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. I would rather someone just win with Oracle/Jace than have to play Nexus of Fate while possibly making small developments every turn until they can close the game out with whatever they have left, even if it is more prone to disruption (is it?).
If you ever get to a point where you have no cards in library you often don't have 30+ cards still in hand with no max hand size. Payinig seven mana to maintain not dying plus playing to the board still can be tricky and it also still allows for some interaction of opponents such as removing a threatening creature. I say its less annoying because essentially from the point they cast it the first time at the end you should already know how things play out. It doesn't take forever, its a question of "do I have this" and if you have the biggest stick that people can't throw all blockers into killing or remove then you win. It feels better to me because if I can impact the board or set up better defenses I can make it not win.

Sinis

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry in advance, this is going to get messy to respond to.
No apologies necessary, this just what it's gonna look like, and there's no help for it :)
I could use Biorhythm to help me against a lifegain deck too.
Okay, but I don't believe Biorhythm should be banned either.
Oracle / Jace aren't good cards outside of their win the game function and similarly to Bio it tends to be how they are played.
I think that's a matter for debate, but, also... Commander is the format for 'not good' cards. I would like to play my bad cards.
It is rude of me to say that nobody will play it for its psudo scry effect but I also think that its a very weak card on that end of its play for this format. Its going to be a lot more limited to mono blue devotion style of plays with that and while I can't argue that it won't be played for that, I also think that a VAST majority of decks using it are not intending it for that purpose.
Again, I don't have hard data on how Oracle is being played, but it hasn't been my experience that people win with it. Most of the time, it's a value dork.
If you actually break down Thassa's Oracle for the dig function, I would say you need at least 6+ devotion digging before it becomes a somewhat reasonable card in that you could instead Impulse and get a card to hand instead of topdeck for the same mana with less color requirement. Impulse is far from a super used card and I think even at 6 its still somewhat of a weak card limited to mono blue decks digging for a wincon (likely a combo piece) but why dig for the combo piece when it is the combo piece?
Well, this is an apples to oranges scenario; Thassa's Oracle does stuff Impulse can't do, and vice versa; Oracle can hold a sword, but it's not going to help you dig for an answer at instant speed.

Whether it is 'worth it' is not only inherently subjective, but, it's also almost a non-sequitur in the Commander format. We play with what we play with not for competitive reasons, but for whatever reason we feel. That something is better or not is kind of a subjective argument. In one of my recent games, someone played Bounty of the Luxa unironically (it wasn't like Rivers tribal or anything). If they had decided that they would instead play Jace because the crappy value card they had would have been less crappy, I don't think I would have blinked. I think it's completely reasonable for people to play these cards as value propositions, even if they're bad value propositions.
Jace is likewise an incredibly weak play to throw out without the win in this format. The ability to protect walkers to generate value over time is something that is incredibly unlikely. If you look at most planeswalkers that see play in this format they tend to be ones that generate most of their value the turn they enter play. He is a red flags everywhere sort of play and my expectation to slow roll Jace and see him survive a turn rotation is incredibly low. Paying 4 mana to mill 2 draw 1 isn't a good play.
Lots of people play Phyrexian Arena to slow roll draws. I realize that being a walker makes Jace more vulnerable, but, some people want that slow drip. Or maybe they just like Jace.

I think my position here is that, even if a card is 'bad' with some win-the-game clause notwithstanding, it still doesn't mean that people are only playing it for the wincon. I mean, we all know someone who has built Chandra Tribal. I will agree that win-the-game clauses help a card along, and that's why people might play Oracle over Impulse, but, it doesn't necessarily follow that people are playing Oracle with the express intent of winning the game with it on a consistent basis.

If someone is playing Oracle to win with it on a consistent basis, they know exactly what they're doing and there are already a bajillion ways of them doing it, and arguably Oracle is currently the best way to do it. There will always be a best way to win the game, and I don't believe we should ban a card just because it's potentially part of that 'best way.'

If someone is playing Oracle as a value card with a happenstance win on it, I can't say I see the problem.
Barren Glory isn't a problem because it has a long delay, an incredibly hard setup, and gives all players time to respond to it. The speed of value and difficulty to interact with are in fact big reasons why things are or are not banned. If there was a 1W sorcery that said "you win" it would be banned right? Lots of the why things get banned in games like this comes down to how efficient, how easy, and how difficult they are to interact with.
Barren Glory was firmly tongue-in-cheek, but, you've made a good point. I think few cards on the banned list got there because they are hard to interact with. Flash was, but, the RC's announcement for Flash is that this was a one-time departure from the banning philosophy, and that they wouldn't revisit this kind of thing again. If cEDH proponents are to be believed, Flash was the 'best way' to win. It got banned (within this single departure of philosophy) for being the 'best way' and being non-interactive.

If Thassa's Oracle is now the best way to win, and requires the same intent that Flash required, I can't say I care that it's going to be banned. In a casual setting, decking out 100 cards isn't easy, especially if hate gets leveraged against you. If you consistently win with Thassa's Oracle, I think the problem isn't Thassa's Oracle (more below).
What should / shouldn't be banned is a polarizing topic that its hard to agree where said line is. Thats fine if you don't agree, I am just stating my thoughts on why I think it should be. Its not like everyone will ever agree to banned list thoughts.
I think consensus for bannings is a fool's enterprise, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

My stance on it is that Oracle/Jace don't, in and of themselves, make games unfun. I think that players who use these efficient and hard-to-interact-with cards to consistently win the game are simply utilizing what may be the 'best way' to win.

But, those players were always going to play the 'best way' to win. If it isn't Oracle/Jace, it's some other bs no one outside of competitive wants to play against. And that's the real key: The player leveraging these cards to win is the problem, not the actual card. I don't believe for a second that Thassa's Oracle and Jace are ruining games because they accidentally won games or the games were accidentally anticlimactic. I've had many more games feel anticlimactic because of cards like Insurrection than any alt-wincon card ever.
I am of the opinion that 95% of the reason to run both of these cards is in their 'win the game' function. I see your point and if I thought that Jace / Oracle had more merit outside of winning the game then I might be inclined to agree. In my experience though people horde these cards in hand and wait until they can win with them instead of just playing them out for whatever value they could be.

As players get better and have more wincons and ways they can win I think they do tend to shift and be more accepting of playing cards to get what value they can when they can but many of the ways I see them played is with them as the primary wincons at which point players are less inclined to value play them.
These just sound like bad competitive players to me. People more concerned with winning and less concerned with the player experience. I think this lines up with my position above, where the player leveraging these cards is the problem, and if Oracle/Jace were banned, they'd just move on to the next thing that lets them win the game.

If you ever get to a point where you have no cards in library you often don't have 30+ cards still in hand with no max hand size.
Not in my experience. The players who end up decking themselves in casual settings are almost always getting there with card selection that scuttles the library in the process (stuff like Underrealm Lich + Sylvan Library). Few people accidentally reach the bottom of their library IME, and when they do, they have all the tools they need to win anyway, even if Thassa's Oracle didn't exist.

The last time I reached the bottom of my library, it was in Adun Oakenshield, and I won with a 60/60 Apocalypse Demon which I equipped with Embercleave followed up with a Heart-Piercer Manticore to kill another player. So I assembled wincons out of the immense card selection and advantage that I already had. Thassa's Oracle is just another way of doing that (the interactivity of which notwithstanding).

Payinig seven mana to maintain not dying plus playing to the board still can be tricky and it also still allows for some interaction of opponents such as removing a threatening creature. I say its less annoying because essentially from the point they cast it the first time at the end you should already know how things play out. It doesn't take forever, its a question of "do I have this" and if you have the biggest stick that people can't throw all blockers into killing or remove then you win. It feels better to me because if I can impact the board or set up better defenses I can make it not win.
I see what you're saying here, and how it'd apply to my last empty library experience, but, at the same time I think that Oracle is just as acceptable a shorthand. Nobody has a counterspell or Stifle effect, or Hushwing Gryff or whatever, fine, you win.

I think Oracle would be bannable if it were frequently ruining games accidentally. Take the Golos thread. The argument there is that it ruins games because Golos kind of does it all; you play Golos, get resources, and then, oh hey, you can pay mana into Golos to spend those resources! So you do it, and this pattern of getting further and further ahead by just naively playing Golos results in games with foregone conclusions, and makes them anticlimactic because they just played Golos and activated him a bunch.

I don't think anyone is naively winning with Oracle or Jace on a consistent basis. If someone is winning with it on a consistent basis, banning it will serve no purpose, they'll just win with the next most efficient thing that happens to be unbanned. I don't even believe Golos should be banned, but I believe the case in that thread is stronger than what's presented here.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Emphasis mine. It's not solely just in case. Oracle and Jace have functions other than winning the game, and they're generically good; drawing cards, or selecting cards. It's not the same as Kiki-mite or Twin-Exarch with no other synergies.
I don't agree with that. And I've had enough internet people tell me that Jace TMS (my 2nd favorite card in EDH) isn't good enough to play that I'm inclined to believe many other people would disagree as well because Jace TMS is as "generically good" as it gets.

Thassa's Oracle and Jace, Wielder of Mysteries aren't generically good enough to see much play without the "win the game" clause. However, I'm certain that Oracle would see play without the scry text. And the since Jace Wielder is typically protected by simply holding in hand until the end of the game, I also lean towards believing the same for it as well.

I'm not for banning these specific cards because like you said, cEDH players would just move on to the next best thing and non-cEDH players who are afraid of losing would just stuff another 2-card infinite combo instead.

Also, what does Demonic Consultation do aside from winning with Oracle? So while Oracle might scry, Demonic Consultation doesn't do anything aside from enabling Labman or Oracle winning. Without Consultation, is Oracle really that bad? It does seem like a legit wizard/merfolk/card I want to put into Brago.
Last edited by umtiger 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I have Thassa's Oracle in a mono-blue wizard recursion deck, cos she's a wizard and cos it's mono-blue. I can also win the game via library-out as long as I first cast Gadwick for about 70? but that's not the intent, giggle, and my decks are usually a bit weaker than the 75% standard. I don't really want these banned, I'd rather see Consult go

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
There is a Toothy, Imaginary Friend deck I have played against that can draw his deck fairly consistently by turns 5-8 where I live. I would say with about 85% certainty that he can do that and he also runs a LOT of counter magic. I wouldn't call it cEDH but HOLY cow its not fun. I think there was a game he went off on turn 4 with a good fast mana start.
It's interesting you mention this, as there is a Pir/Toothy deck on the cEDH decklist database, which wins through Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. So, while I don't know your mate's decklist, there is a chance that it's really a budget cEDH deck, in which case I'm not surprised it isn't fun. Even if it isn't a budget cEDH deck, it's still adopting a cEDH win condition and could be playing at a higher power level than the rest of your meta.

This leads into an interesting point, which is similar to what others have raised in this thread: Players running these cards as win conditions need to be honest with themselves about the style and power level of deck they are building. That's obviously part of a much wider philosophical discussion on the format, but it comes back to the format having a side that is about finding people who want to play a similar style of game with one another. On that basis, I can't see these cards getting banned. They have their function as win conditions in higher power decks and their more benign functions in casual decks, and problems only arise when the two mix.

Sinis

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not for banning these specific cards because like you said, cEDH players would just move on to the next best thing and non-cEDH players who are afraid of losing would just stuff another 2-card infinite combo instead.
I mean, I think this the real argument. They're definitely not broken enough to be banned for the casual players of EDH.
Also, what does Demonic Consultation do aside from winning with Oracle? So while Oracle might scry, Demonic Consultation doesn't do anything aside from enabling Labman or Oracle winning. Without Consultation, is Oracle really that bad? It does seem like a legit wizard/merfolk/card I want to put into Brago.
Demonic Consultation is a serviceable instant-speed-to-hand tutor. It used to be a really good budget option. I have definitely played Demonic Consultation as a tutor.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

I'd say Oracle needs watching. I see it more in casual than lab man or Jace, and it's better than either and harder than interact with to boot. Have can at least be burned out or hit with PW removal like lab man can be hit with creature removal and have it result in a loss for the player. Oracle needs to be stifled for that to happen, thought countering it is more likely to leave them in a bad spot. I haven't seen it in decks that can't win with it. I'm not sure it's at the point of needing a ban, but it should be watched.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Both of these have enough interaction to not warrant a ban. This is no where near the level of FlashHulk, and they are used for value. In my Thassa deck I am perfectly fine with playing them early, or using them to win later in the game. They are just generic good value with a possible "I win" condition attached.

Another point, if you are upset about the game ending turn 5-8, maybe its time to look at your powerlevel and sit at a lower level table. Your friends deck doesn't sound cEDH and to me turn 5-8 is a good time to end the game. This is still 40-60 minutes into a game and that means we get to move on to the next one.

Both cards are interact-able on the stack, on the field, and after resolution....they are fair cards. Neither one of these cards should ever see a ban. Maybe accept they are now played and edit your deck to suit your meta?

pokken

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Both cards are interact-able on the stack, on the field, and after resolution
You can't really interact with Thassa's Oracle once it resolves most of the time since 0 devotion is enough to win with an empty library.

UnNamed1

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
You can't really interact with Thassa's Oracle once it resolves most of the time since 0 devotion is enough to win with an empty library.
There are 8 cards that will stop Oracle after resolution. There's a multitude that stop it on the stack. It's better to let oracle resolve then counter the followup spell that allows them to win. Oracle has a compact win-con, but it is still easily disrupted.

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
There are 8 cards that will stop Oracle after resolution. There's a multitude that stop it on the stack. It's better to let oracle resolve then counter the followup spell that allows them to win. Oracle has a compact win-con, but it is still easily disrupted.
Out of curiosity, what are the 8 cards? To be honest, your answer seems to say "play blue" as the answer to Oracle as there are very few nonblue cards that would stop Oracle. If 80% of the colors can't deal with it, how is it interactable or easily disrupted?

pokken

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Compare this to the number of cards that stop Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker combo and you'll understand the distaste people have for the oracle/consultation lines. They virtually require blue (or the two red cards that stop oracle).

The vast majority of functional combos in the game can be interacted with by most colors. Lab man and Jace can be killed with a variety of effects in multiple colors (though Jace less so). This is a difference.

"Oh but you can play these 7 blue cards and this 1 white cards" is not answering that, it's quibbling.

UnNamed1

WizardMN wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago

Out of curiosity, what are the 8 cards? To be honest, your answer seems to say "play blue" as the answer to Oracle as there are very few nonblue cards that would stop Oracle. If 80% of the colors can't deal with it, how is it interactable or easily disrupted?
Here is a scryfall link for cards that counter triggered abilities. https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&ord ... ability%29
This doesn't include any effects that says you can't lose the game either.

I do think you need to play blue, because blue is the control color. Blue is the main color with counter abilities, as that is kind of the identity of the color. If every color could stop every counter, what is the point of running different colors? There are pro's and con's/strengths and weakness's to every color, that is what makes them unique.

Also the main way to beat oracle isn't to stop oracle itself, its to stop the effect that empties the library.
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Compare this to the number of cards that stop Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker combo and you'll understand the distaste people have for the oracle/consultation lines. They virtually require blue (or the two red cards that stop oracle).

The vast majority of functional combos in the game can be interacted with by most colors. Lab man and Jace can be killed with a variety of effects in multiple colors (though Jace less so). This is a difference.

"Oh but you can play these 7 blue cards and this 1 white cards" is not answering that, it's quibbling.
As I said above, each color has their own identity for the most part. Blue is best at stopping combo's. Blue and white are the main control ones. Anything that turn's off ETB effects. Counterspells. Those are in those color's.

I don't expect black to have an answer to Thassa's Oracle, it isn't what black is supposed to do. Just as I don't expect blue to have an answer to blacks life manipulation. Black isn't supposed to interact heavily on the stack.

To me, I see the color wheelhouse and look at what I want to do. Big creatures? Green. Control? Blue. Life gain? White. Reanimate? Black. High risk/reward? Red. I see the colors for what they should be best at and build into those strategies. For my Jund deck, I know I am vulnerable to removal and control, because I am not in the colors to protect myself. So instead I built in resilience so the deck can take a hit and recover. Every color shouldn't be able to stop everything. That would make the game very boring very fast.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rules and Philosophy”