Thassa's Oracle / Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

Swift2210
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Swift2210 » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Being the OP I guess I can elaborate, the player I mentioned who was using a Toothy deck plays budget decks. I have never seen him play a card that is worth more than $30 and so seeing him regularly pub stomp with his own budget Toothy deck was concerning. I don't actually think I have seen him lose with that deck and we all know its coming whenever he plays it. That entire deck is probably like $100-300 and he made it himself. The guy doesn't own any fetchlands. His toothy deck still kills us on average between turns 4 and 8 though and it defends itself with plenty of Aetherspouts / counterspells. The whole deck is things to power draw him and then counters / anti attack effects. Its brutal.

Flicker that guy a few times and you draw your whole library. Its really simple and fast and it doesn't take much $$$ to build.
Lol! That man has my respect. It's not easy to build and optimize a budget Toothy deck to take out a table consistently. This takes time and perseverence. Rule of Law effects would slow him down by quite a bit.

My thoughts on the topic: Thassa's Oracle. I've felt from day 1 it was banworthy. It's the cheapest, most efficient combo floating around with Consultation. And it's difficult to stop with some out of luck colors like green having almost no playable options besides stax pieces to prevent them from being cast together or Lifeforce to interact with it. There are very few cards which I think should be banned. Thassa's Oracle is one of them. It's too good.

Tags:

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

At least they finally figured out that printing Tainted Pact + Oracle was not a good idea for historic.

For a moment, those winning lists were looking like cEDH decklists. You had a do a double take.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Yea, I honestly would say that Oracle can be just as toxic in this environment its just that most players are not looking to play at this level. Its also a really big all in sort of move so if someone does have relevant interaction that gets past your own counter options its mostly a GG situation for you going for it.

That said, I did sort of think about doing some sort of Tainted Pact / Inverter of Truth / Doomsday oracle deck. Building what I hate isn't really the solution though. The worst part of these cards is that as the meta gets better these cards actually probably get worse but they pray on decks that aren't heavy blue.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rules and Philosophy”