[MCD] Companions are horrible.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

The 3 mana companion change is a positive I suppose, in that I think it'll help discourage people from running them. I'd still like to see the mechanic bite the dust, however.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
The 3 mana companion change is a positive I suppose, in that I think it'll help discourage people from running them. I'd still like to see the mechanic bite the dust, however.
I was just thinking that I'm not sure this change is great for getting what I actually want which is to never see companion again and never see them try to repeat it. It's now so bad no one will realistically use it but that means they might be more likely to try again, and it'll surely never get removed now that it's so terrible.

But I hope just never seeing it outside of a couple fringe decks will be enough :P

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
This is why I think anecdotal evidence is almost entirely useless in commander.
Tbf, this is true in commander as a whole but in every other medium in existence. "Well my friend has a..." "My best mate's dog says..." all of this means absolutely nothing. No, really, when you put it all together and analyse it all, it's just about as useful as a popcorn fart. Anyway you look at it, it stinks, and doesn't help anyone make any point. Any time someone starts a thread, idea, or philosophy with "well in my experience..." that is the time to tune out.

MTGS started turning into a %$#% hole near the end because of the rampant arguments that led with this and devolved into irrelevent circlejerks. I'd appreciate if Nexus did not turn into that too. Especially so soon into it's life.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Any time someone starts a thread, idea, or philosophy with "well in my experience..." that is the time to tune out.
We're a bit off topic but I think you guys may be missing the points of anecdotes. Anecdotes aren't evidence, they're tools to understand the experience of others and examples to illustrate points.

They serve a lot of positive purposes; I don't think you can understand how annoying cards like Prophet of Kruphix are without understanding how it actually played in games, for example.

Similarly I don't think you could understand just how annoying the few good companion builds were in their absolute consistency without seeing how it played out. Hence anecdotes.

Just my two cents but I think anecdotes are an extremely useful tool if you understand the limitations and don't try to over-generalize.

NGW
Legacy/Commander

Post by NGW » 3 years ago

I honestly think it's pathetic that the RC saw fit to rewrite the rules specifically so WotC's pet mechanic for the block could work as intended in the game's most popular format, which led to the controversial preemptive ban of Lutri. Should have left the otter alone and just said that the mechanic doesn't function in commander for the same reason wishes don't, there was no reason to change the rules for it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rules and Philosophy”