Pauper Commander

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

The last question of Maro's most recent article made me wonder how Pauper Commander could work, as it is sort of a neat idea. For one it brings down the power level greatly as, for example, their is no Sol Ring and allows for a lower power-level game. The big question though is how would you do commander's since there are almost no common legendary creatures?

The first idea I had was to create a list of common creatures that are legendary for sake of the format. That seemed overly complicated. The second was to just create common legendaries for pauper, but that seemed like too much work (and I am doing this more as it's neat to see if it could work rather than actually try to make it happen). The third idea (which I think is best) is to allow any legendary creature that has been printed as a common or an uncommon. This allows for a pretty decent list of 143 commanders, and many more possible combinations with all of the new partners. (Basically this allows for any card printed at common or a legendary creature printed at uncommon to be in the format)

|[card]&type=+[%22Legendary%22]+[%22Creature%22]]Uncommon, Common Commander Search

List of Commanders

Esper 1

Jund 1

Bant 1

Approximate Total Cost:

I also included a few other "tweaks" to expand the roster of commanders a bit. First, flip cards can be your commander if the flipped side is legendary. Second, for Brothers Yamazaki, you can have two copies as your commander, and any deck with a red color identity can play two copies in their deck, because this needs to happen just because.

Overall it's a pretty diverse list with a bunch of interesting (and some not-so-interesting *cough*Legends*cough*) options, including a three three-colored commanders thanks to Masters Editions.

Overall I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this idea.

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

This is a (fairly) common variant on MTGO (where Pauper itself has a very strong presence). Just as you describe, the MTGO version allows any Legendary creature printed at Common or Uncommon (including the plethora of pre-Mirage commanders reprinted at common or uncommon in the Master's sets an other editions only release on MTGO). Unfortunately, if does not allow flip or transform cards that are not legendary in their primary face.
V/R

Treamayne

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Treamayne wrote:
3 years ago
This is a (fairly) common variant on MTGO (where Pauper itself has a very strong presence). Just as you describe, the MTGO version allows any Legendary creature printed at Common or Uncommon (including the plethora of pre-Mirage commanders reprinted at common or uncommon in the Master's sets an other editions only release on MTGO). Unfortunately, if does not allow flip or transform cards that are not legendary in their primary face.
Huh. You learn new stuff everyday.

Also boo on no flip legends. I always wanted to use Bushi Tenderfoot // Kenzo the Hardhearted as a Voltron Commander.

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago

Huh. You learn new stuff everyday.

Also boo on no flip legends. I always wanted to use Bushi Tenderfoot // Kenzo the Hardhearted as a Voltron Commander.
Well, MTGO can't really support "house rule" style changes (although, back in the day, the Multi-player room did support things like attack left/attack right/FFA, Spell Ranges, etc.).
V/R

Treamayne

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 3 years ago

PDH is a thing, and been so for a pretty long time actually. There isn't any sanctioned rules, but the general consensus is to use an uncommon creature (don't have to be legendary) as your commander. It's a really fun format, which is much more approachable then regular EDH, and while there is talk about cPDH, the powerlevel isn't as diverse. While some commanders is "kill on sight" like EDH, it's more balanced because you're likely to play targeted removal a lot more, simply because PDH lags sweepers.

If the format sounds interesting, you can check out this site: https://www.pdhhomebase.ca/ and join the discord server which is very active.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

I imagine it has much the same problem as multiplayer Tiny Leaders did, which was cluttered boardstates with no way to clear them. This would combine with a long time issue in pauper which was how incredibly %$#% strong blue is compared to the other colors. That was certainly the case a few years back, maybe its improved lately. I'd give it a go but it would be hard to convince other people to play it.

Edit: Looked into the PDH group, real shame that you can't run any uncommon in the MTGO version honestly. Would be a real selling point over vanilla EDH instead of just making it a low power EDH variation.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 3 years ago

Indeed, you have to play blue, if you want the strongest deck. Zada is pretty close up there, though.
But PDH is mostly a more "true" casual format then EDH and I think most people playing PDH don't mind cluttered boardstates. You do also play with lower life of 30 and commanderdamage is 16. The most widely used archtypes being voltron, control/combo or tokens. Sure, two boards filled with tokens can slow the game down, but it's nowhere as long as some EDH games tend to be. Every EDH deck runs at least some kind of reset bottom and PDH lags this so the time for someone to simply just take over the game, is in my experience much quicker.

A big selling point for me is the entry barrier, most decks can be aquired for around 50$, and still get to play Ancestral Recall and Time Walk :)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

I've been playing PDH with uncommon non-legends off and on for years now. Pretty fun format and for $10-$20 you can build a very solid deck. Boardstates can get messy, but it takes you back to the old days before Cyclonic Rift or Craterhoof Behemoth. You have to craft your victory with limited pump spells, voltron/evasion, or control. There are only a small handful of meaningful boardwipes, which makes them powerful, yet rare in any one game. All the new uncommon partners have greatly expanded the options for interesting pauper decks and I plan on building one around these.

With limited visibility it is best to start in an intimate playgroup where you can set some ground rules. There is no official ban list, but some cards are poor fits for the format; Capsize being one. Excellent format for new players because you can get to a playable powerlevel with essentially free cards. I've gifted an entire deck and only been out maybe $15.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 3 years ago

Few board wipes! Have you met my Crypt Rats deck? It's pretty much ways to make the rats indestructible, or give them lifelink, or both, etc. It was a good time the one chance I got to play it before COVID shut down my groups. I also built a Spellheart Chimera deck, which is more voltron than anything. Rhystic Study is common, which is kill on sight. I'm hoping to hold onto the decks I've made to try and get my group in - I love that it's got a different pace.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Variant Commander”