Urza Help

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 4 years ago

Hey this is the list I came up with. Looking for tips on how to improve it. Money isn't much of a problem except the big things like tabernacle and Timetwister. Not playing some stuff cause I hate giving my opponent resources like Time Spiral.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by The Desacrator 4 years ago, edited 12 times in total.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Do you find yourself not needing spot removal a la Pongify too frequently? Being able to kill Gitrog for just a U is great, as well as other problem creatuers. The 3/3 isn't even relevant since Urza can block it like a champ.

I personally have always been a fan of Vedalken Shackles, so I will suggest it to you. Perhaps you could cut Codex Shredder or Pacification Array?

The Desacrator

Added Pongify and Shackles. How good is shackles when i have very few islands?I like the recursion ability/win conditon of Codex Shredder. Pacification Array is to combo with Static Orb and Winter Orb but that may be too cute.

Theoric
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Theoric » 4 years ago

The Desacrator wrote:
4 years ago
Added Pongify and Shackles. How good is shackles when i have very few islands?I like the recursion ability/win conditon of Codex Shredder. Pacification Array is to combo with Static Orb and Winter Orb but that may be too cute.
If your heart is set on those lands then you might prefer legacy's allure to vedalken shackles. Some people prefer it regardless how many islands you have.
The pacification array seems weak. It's Urza's job to tap those orbs.

The Desacrator

That might be better. And yeah didn't even put that together for Urza to tap those pieces. Thanks for the help. Decklist updated.

The Desacrator

Cut Dig Through Time for Impulse to lower the curve.

EDIT: Cut Stoic Rebuttal for Ensnaring Bridge.

The Desacrator

Cuts

grafdigger's cage - trinisphere
trail of evidence - howling mine

benjameenbear

I think these cuts are good. Was Grafdigger's Cage not good enough for your meta?

The Desacrator

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
I think these cuts are good. Was Grafdigger's Cage not good enough for your meta?
Yes. Noone plays reanimator and it doesnt stop the combo decks in my meta.

benjameenbear

Congratulations then! I have a Shuffle Hulk deck that I almost always play against when I'm gunning for a true cEDH game and Grafdigger's Cage is great against him.

I also play Future Sight in my deck and, maybe it's just bad luck, there have been two instances where the Cage shuts off my Future Top combo. That feels bad for sure...

The Desacrator

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
Congratulations then! I have a Shuffle Hulk deck that I almost always play against when I'm gunning for a true cEDH game and Grafdigger's Cage is great against him.

I also play Future Sight in my deck and, maybe it's just bad luck, there have been two instances where the Cage shuts off my Future Top combo. That feels bad for sure...
Can I get a link to the deck list

benjameenbear

For my personal Urza list or for the Shuffle Hulk list?

The Desacrator

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
For my personal Urza list or for the Shuffle Hulk list?
Shuffle Hulk.

Also played this build yesterday in four 3 player games. Won 3/4 and one game on turn three. This deck is much more powerful than I gave it credit for. :)

benjameenbear

My friend plays, exactly card-for-card, SickRobot's list which you can find here. It's stupidly resilient and consistent and is one of the best cEDH decks I've ever seen.

Urza's a fantastic card and any cEDH list built around him is VERY powerful. I like your list a lot as I play a similar density of Counterspells and have found it to be super enjoyable for how I prefer to play MTG.

Have you found the Karn + Lattice combo effective? Currently, my copy of Karn is in my Yawgmoth deck and I've been really pleased with it there but I think I'd be willing to acquire another one for Urza for both flavor and power.

The Desacrator

Didn't have a chance to play that lock yet. The 3 games I won were with Back to Basics, Winter Orb, and Dramatic Scepter

The Desacrator

Realized I have too many cards in the list.

- Preordain
- Legacy's Allure

The Desacrator

Putting this deck on hold. Lost a couple of expensive cards and want to work on some other decks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”