Suggestion: Discuss combos, not decklists

Kemev
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kemev » 4 years ago

It'd be really cool if this forum could take off as a new home for c/EDH discussion... I don't really like reddit or Discord, the official forums don't really like c/edh, and mtgthesource has been quiet for a long time. To make the conversation a little easier though, I think it'd be helpful if discussion focused around particular combos, synergies, and strategies, rather than tuning decklists. The format's at the point where there are only a handful of viable lines of play, but many, many different iterations of decks that can use them.

Take Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal for example. It's a relatively simple, easily tutorable combo that can slot into many different lists (Memnarch, Oona, and Thrasios all being good examples). Collectively, we could put together dozens of different lists with it (especially with Thrasios -- the partner generals create a lot of different variations)... but to what end?

If someone wants to play a deck with Scepter combo, it'd be easier for them to know the different synergy pieces that assemble it, the different payload cards to partner with it, and then let them go build around that.

Similarly, if someone wants to play against Scepter combo, it's not helpful for them to try to learn a dozen different lists that could pull it together. Again, it'd be easier for them to know the pieces so they can learn to play against it in whatever variant it shows up.

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

This is actually a very good idea, I support it wholeheartedly!

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Kemev wrote:
4 years ago
It'd be really cool if this forum could take off as a new home for c/EDH discussion... I don't really like reddit or Discord, the official forums don't really like c/edh, and mtgthesource has been quiet for a long time. To make the conversation a little easier though, I think it'd be helpful if discussion focused around particular combos, synergies, and strategies, rather than tuning decklists. The format's at the point where there are only a handful of viable lines of play, but many, many different iterations of decks that can use them.

Take Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal for example. It's a relatively simple, easily tutorable combo that can slot into many different lists (Memnarch, Oona, and Thrasios all being good examples). Collectively, we could put together dozens of different lists with it (especially with Thrasios -- the partner generals create a lot of different variations)... but to what end?

If someone wants to play a deck with Scepter combo, it'd be easier for them to know the different synergy pieces that assemble it, the different payload cards to partner with it, and then let them go build around that.

Similarly, if someone wants to play against Scepter combo, it's not helpful for them to try to learn a dozen different lists that could pull it together. Again, it'd be easier for them to know the pieces so they can learn to play against it in whatever variant it shows up.
I think that this is a great perspective and one I, as the primary curator of the cEDH forums here on Nexus, am absolutely willing to endorse this. My goal for the cEDH forums is to have the different shells that can be built around the primary combo lines in cEDH delineated into separate subforums, kind of like how Modern or Legacy. Once the official release of Nexus is released to the world, I'm going to try and get a thread going of the different infinite combos that exist and build sub-forums/threads around them. I still want to encourage people to post decklists because there will be some people that need the optimization tips for particular decklists, but overall it's really the shell you build around a specific combo.

Regardless, I'll keep my Memnarch Primer active because nostalgia.

TearsOfTomorrow

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
Kemev wrote:
4 years ago

I think that this is a great perspective and one I, as the primary curator of the cEDH forums here on Nexus, am absolutely willing to endorse this. My goal for the cEDH forums is to have the different shells that can be built around the primary combo lines in cEDH delineated into separate subforums, kind of like how Modern or Legacy. Once the official release of Nexus is released to the world, I'm going to try and get a thread going of the different infinite combos that exist and build sub-forums/threads around them. I still want to encourage people to post decklists because there will be some people that need the optimization tips for particular decklists, but overall it's really the shell you build around a specific combo.

Regardless, I'll keep my Memnarch Primer active because nostalgia.
I mean, it could be 3 different sections. Have a "general" section where people post their non-competitive lists and ask for help, feedback and advice, have a "primer" section for the primers, which are a time-honored tradition which I would really hate to see go, and then have a "cEDH strategies" section structured as OP suggests. I think it would work out really well.

benjameenbear

Great idea! I'll see what Feyd can do!

benjameenbear

Alright, I think what I will do is create a Stickied Combo directory that will link all of the primary cEDH combos that are used in the meta. This directory will then have separate links for each "Combo Primer" that will discuss the combo itself and the various pieces that make it work, how it can be disrupted, etc.

This Directory will then act as a way to quickly reference combos and their discussion from the first page on the cEDH forums while not requiring any additional work from our swamped Feyd.

Does this sound agreeable to everyone?

TearsOfTomorrow

Seems reasonable, yes. Wonder if OP would be ok with this compromise.

Kemev

Post by Kemev » 4 years ago

Yeah, makes sense to me.

What strategies/combos would people like to see?

The Desacrator

Post by The Desacrator » 4 years ago

Hermit Druid combo should definitely be discussed.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Also Jace-Labman-Consultation lines could be discussed. Maybe some Intuition piles as well!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”