Obeka, Abuser of Time

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Hey guys! I'm back again with another crazy competitive brew. This time, I might have actually lost my mind.

The goal behind this deck is to take advantage of all the "bad" cards that have a negative effect at the end of your turn. Obeka, Brute Chronologist ends your turn, exiling the stack and with it, all the negative effects you might have.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

The goal of this deck is to assemble advantage through extra turns/value engines that can be cast cheaply due to the normal downside on the card.

Some of the various win cons can be imprinting a turn spell on Isochron Scepter while Obeka is on the field. Resulting in infinite turns, and allowing you to win through an effect like Laboratory Maniac or Thassa's Oracle. There is also multiple reanimation spells that allow for these to be returned if need be. You can also slowly beat your opponents into submission if that is more your style as well. Finally there is the ever present Thor Consult/Tainted lines. This is your easiest and safest option to win the game.

Thanks for reading, and have an amazing holiday season! Let me know what you thought of the deck!

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Sorry my post is going to be a bit negative in general, just want to forewarn you, but I am more helpful at the end. I just need to establish what and why I don't think a lot of things work that well.

The reanimation cards in Apprentice Necromancer, Feldon of the Third Path, Corpse Dance seem very weak. You only have Court of Cunning to turn your graveyard into a resource and your reanimation targets are pretty limited and really don't add much to the game if you do keep the copies around.
You might as well just have Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Necromancy in those spots as Apprentice and Feldon do have summoning sickness so are slow and easy to predict what you are going to try and require investing more mana .
I suppose using Feldon of the Third Path or Corpse Dance specifically on Snapcaster Mage or Spellseeker each turn could give you advantages, but investing 2r for Feldon and 4b for Corpse Dance and then expected to have more mana for casting the Snapcaster or Spellseeker targets in cEDH doesn't seem very likely.
Then actually keeping those creatures in play doesn't effect the game at all.

Tainted Pact is usually mean't to be a Demonic Consultation alternative but you literally have to have no two cards with the same name in order to exile your whole deck and you are running multiple Island and Swamp.
The best you should do is to run 1 x Island, 1 x Snow-Covered Island, 1 x Swamp, 1 x Snow-Covered Swamp.

The Dramatic Reversal with Isochron Scepter is looking super weak in this deck. Chrome Mox, Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond, Sol Ring are the only sources of nonland mana.

Final Fortune is the only extra turn card you can match up with Isochron Scepter. This is the crown jewel to running Obeka but I just want to point out you can only imprint instants.

If you are matching up Discontinuity with say Warrior's Oath, Last Chance, Final Fortune then it is a two card combo to get a single extra turn. The deck only has two cards that have static card advantages in Dark Confidant and Court of Cunning. My point is that the card doesn't have a lot of uses.

Twinflame just like the reanimation cards seems a bit of a wasted slot. I suppose having 2 x Hullbreacher or Opposition Agent gives you more resilience to targeted removal. But my point is that there are just so few targets for the card that it can just end up being a do nothing spell and terrible top deck.

I have made an Obeka, Brute Chronologist deck that is more aimed at doing over the top big things so is more casual.
But one idea I do think that you can look to abuse for cEDH is Underworld Breach with the extra turn cards. Because Obeka can end the turn it will stop the trigger on Underworld Breach from removing itself. With the extra turn cards, you will be the next player so this means it will remain in play.
The idea is that as long as you have 3 cards to exile in graveyard, you can keep taking extra turns via the Underworld Breach staying in play constantly.
Therefore I think you should look to set this up as more of an end goal.
Brain Freeze and Lion's Eye Diamond are some of the main sources of fueling Underworld Breach.
Court of Cunning is a good one for you. If you have Underworld Breach in hand, there is a high likelihood that you'll mill an extra turn card and then because the Court mills 10 cards you can go infinite.
Therefore I think some number of other big mills cards could be the plan. But I can't stress how you need Underworld Breach in hand because Grixis doesn't have a lot of ways to get Enchantment cards from your graveyard. What I mean is that you can't just jam mill cards onto the board until you have Underworld Breach.
Mesmeric Orb, Ashiok, Dream Render, Nephalia Drownyard are the ones I'd play.
Obeka + Nephalia Drownyard + Underworld Breach + extra turn card = infinite turns. That is actually pretty feasible.
Ashiok, Dream Render has a limited number of uses, but hopefully should mill into something over 4 activation's (or 5) that allow you to continue, plus obviously it's great in cEDH at stopping searching.

It is possible that you run the extra turn cards in Capture of Jingzhou, Temporal Manipulation, Time Warp as well as it is still the net result that as long as you can keep exiling 3 cards from your graveyard you can keep casting those extra turn cards with Underworld Breach and Obeka.

Intuition is a supplement card to Underworld Breach as you can search for say Brain Freeze, Lion's Eye Diamond, Warrior's Oath for example which will end up with a win (if you have Breach).

If you are playing all those extra turn cards I mentioned (which I think you should) then it will be nice to have a few more static card advantages. That is ways to draw cards or whatever with additional turns.
Planeswalkers are often the best for this. Dack Fayden and Jace, Wielder of Mysteries puts you very close to putting 3 cards in your graveyard for the Breach/extra turn combo. If you are just casting one other spell each turn (besides the extra turn) then this will be good enough which is HIGHLY likely.
Jace, Wielder of Mysteries is also a win con with Demonic Consultation/Tainted Pact.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

@darrenhabib

I appreciate the notes! This was never intended to be a final product, more of a rough draft style paper. Dramatic reversal was never meant to go under isochron, more utility uses. The main point of it was to untap creature's and abilities more than just mana.

Reanimation was a theme I always wanted to mess with, however I agree, I need to go more into the self mill category if I want to do that. My main thoughts were to reanimate any stax pieces that don't stick around, allowing you to play more relaxed and not having to fight over a kill spell.

Tainted Pact is set up to be that alternative, however I do still have basics.....like I said, rough draft of a deck idea (one that i'll likely never build in paper). The final version would fix this issue.

Discontinuity is meant to be used on your turn for the 2 mana if your general is not on the field. I agree its not that great of a spell, however; I always wanted to try it and this deck idea fit the spell the most so it has a slot for now.

The idea behind Twinflame was.....to be honest I don't remember. It really doesn't make sense in the deck. I have no defense here.

As far as the breach package goes.... That decision was made off prior experiences with Breach. I really am not a fan of it. Any graveyard interaction at all and around 5 cards are now dead in your list. Thats not where you want to be in a meta as fast as the current cEDH meta.

Wraith223

Post by Wraith223 » 3 years ago

I played against an Obeka deck recently. Cool deck but has a major flaw. If you trickbind or stifle Obeka, it's an instant loose game and friend. 🤭
I thought it was hilarious with trickbind, he did not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”