THE TRASH MAN - Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer WIP

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

I'M THE TRASH MAN
Approximate Total Cost:

So, this is my first attempt at Oskar. The basic idea is to discard board controlling threats to either reanimate (most likely) or cast.

Ideal wincon would be a big Living Death plopping a bunch of KOS threats into play.

I haven't had the chance to take the deck for spin yet. Unsure about Mind Over Matter, mostly because I've never played it/seen it played, but it seems good with Coffers and Nykthos to facillitate chaining the big critters into play.

Card Choices:

Kozilek, Butcher of Truth can be reanimated at instant speed or discarded to recover my GY in the face of targeted hate.
Containment Construct sort of like a redundant Oskar.

Should I be running Leyline of Anticipation and Leyline of the Void for redundancy?

Rug of Smothering is a maybe, could be fun for some gotcha wins on storm players. I'll be making room for Fraying Line for sure which would be real cute with Leyline of the Void…we'll just have to see.

Open to any and all feedback.

I'm excited to play with this because I feel like it's going to take some work to get the balance of discard, threats and control elements right.
Last edited by kirkusjones 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

This deck is sweet. The first thing I'd add is Tidespout Tyrant, which is still a backbreaking reanimator target. Zombie Infestation is a way to make flashy bodies to go along with your flashy spells if you want to keep Razaketh. Insidious dreams should be D tutor. And scion, while a b!tching, self-pitching oldie, seems a little too cute compared to the rest of the deck.

Good luck! May this deck get theirs and may many sh!tlords been seen later.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
This deck is sweet. The first thing I'd add is Tidespout Tyrant, which is still a backbreaking reanimator target. Zombie Infestation is a way to make flashy bodies to go along with your flashy spells if you want to keep Razaketh. Insidious dreams should be D tutor. And scion, while a b!tching, self-pitching oldie, seems a little too cute compared to the rest of the deck.

Good luck! May this deck get theirs and may many sh!tlords been seen later.

Sadly you're probably right about Scion, it'll be an easy swap for Tyrant. I had Infestation in my initial pile, but I cut it for whatever reason. I'm waiting on some cards to come in, so I'm going to have to wait a week or two to take it for a spin.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Dihada's Ploy was a solid add to my The Mimeoplasm list and seems like it would be even better here. Draw 4, discard 3? Okay.

EDIT: I think you should cut Coffers. 11 Swamps (I guess "19" with fetches + Urborg) doesn't seem like it's enough to support it, and while theoretically ramping into your fatties in a pinch is a good idea, I don't think the payoff is worth the risk. I run 25 + Urborg in Erebos and there are, occasionally, times where Coffers doesn't do anything and requires a mulligan in my opening grip. If you do, Torment of Hailfire can go as well. I would cut Torment regardless and really lean into the beatdown strategy.

Here are some Big Boys/Giant Girls/Fat Folks I like that I would consider adding:

Vilis, Broker of Blood
Stormtide Leviathan
Rune-Scarred Demon
Burning-Rune Demon
Doom Whisperer
Kederekt Leviathan (because sometimes you just repeatedly Cyclonic Rift)

I don't like the following:

Hapless Researcher
Hostage Taker
Sensei's Divining Top (booooo)
Dark Ritual / Cabal Ritual
Rites of Refusal

Obligatory "run more mana rocks" and "run more countermagic" part of the post.

Looter il-Kor might be okay, You would be forced to play the spell with Oskar during combat, which can be awkward, but it still might be decent enough to dump a creature into the 'yard. Also there's Thought Courier.

Damn, this is making me want to revisit Mimeo.

EDITAR NÚMERO DOS: Chart a Course? Compulsion? Jace, Vryn's Prodigy? The Modern Age (at least the backside feeds Razzy)? Wharf Infiltrator?

Geier Reach Sanitarium is conspicuously absent as well.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

@TheGildedGoose

Razaketh should probably just be Burning-Rune Demon, so I'm not having to sac something meaningful to tutor. Adding in the on-color Myr as well as Mana Crypt. I thought I had one last Chrome Mox kicking around, but I guess I sold it. GetRekt Leviathan goes in for sure.

I had Diadha's ploy in the list originally, but ended up cutting it for space reasons. Swan Song, An Offer You Can't Refuse and/or Arcane Denial will make their way in eventually. Cutting Torment of Hailfire makes Mind Over Matter feel a little unnecessary, so maybe it can go too, even though chain discarding fatties to then untap nykthos/coffers and cast them seems like a good time.

My issue with Compulsion is that it costs 2 to activate, the deck is already mana hungry so I'm trying to keep those activation costs to 1 or less. Flip Jace won't loot for long because I'll pretty quickly have 5 cards in the yard and his backside isn't all that interesting (at least to me).

Thought Courier will find a home, too.

And Dream Halls is the trap I think it is, right?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

I've been drafting up my own deck with Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer and one element that I've been designing around is the fact that it allows you to play things at instant speed (flash) when you discard cards. So if you use Necropotence or Necrologia, then you can discard cards during your cleanup phase to actually cast them.
Curator of Mysteries can be cycled and then cast at instant speed which is a nice combat trick to then block.

I've also paid some attention to converted mana costs so that you can cast Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer for cheaper and once he has been killed perhaps a few times this can be very important with commander tax or just casting him out really early.
Submerge and Misdirection are 5 cmc that can be cast for zero (most games) just like Force of Will, so I prioritize something like this.
Other cost reduction cards that interest me are Unmask, Grief, Snuff Out, K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Contagion, Subtlety, Commandeer, Shriekmaw, Temporal Mastery, Foil.
Split cards have the combined mana cost of both sides, so this can really help to fill high numbers, Consign // Oblivion (7 cmc), Rags // Riches (11 cmc), Never // Return (7 cmc), Commit // Memory (10 cmc), Far // Away (5 cmc), Spite // Malice (8 cmc), Discovery // Dispersal (7 cmc), Connive // Concoct (9 cmc), Said // Done (5 cmc).
Agadeem's Awakening (you're playing) and Sea Gate Restoration are lands that can help to fill in the 3 and 7 mana cost for cost reduction.

Ghostly Pilferer stock keeps going up with more and more ways that people cast things from other zones and is a discard outlet.

Lord of the Forsaken and especially combined with K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth would allow you to cast your black spells for zero mana.

Bone Miser is a great discard for value creature.

I'm personally designing around Chains of Mephistopheles and Bazaar of Baghdad with cheap to cast cards, so at a combined value around $6.5k, I understand why people might not play these cards with Oskar :P
Last edited by darrenhabib 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

I would 100% play with Chains of Pepperoni Nips and Bazaar if I had been smart enough to buy them ten years ago. They're on my shortlist, along with Juzám Djinn, to purchase if this whole writing thing ever takes off.

I go back and forth about Curator of Mysteries. Good call on Submerge, it'll definitely find a home in here. Subtlety, too. I feel like Oskar could easily helm a Doomsday/AdNaus storm deck as well, I was just really attracted to Reanimator because I used to love that archetype in Legacy.

I'm finding a ton of overlap between this deck and my Vilis, Broker of Blood suicide deck, where I run Lord of the Forsaken and K'rrik.

Pilferer will probably replace one of the 2 MV tap to loot fellas.

Isn't Necropotence a nonbo with Oskar? I am a rules dummy, so I could be totally wrong.

Thoughts on Dream Halls? I'm currently hung up on the Magical Christmasland potential.

darrenhabib

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Isn't Necropotence a nonbo with Oskar? I am a rules dummy, so I could be totally wrong.

Thoughts on Dream Halls? I'm currently hung up on the possible Magical Christmasland potential.
The exile part of Necropotence goes on the stack, so you can respond by casting the cards first.

Dream Halls I'm thinking about myself. But it needs to be in the right build because obviously you unlock your opponents hands as well, so you have to be doing more powerful things than them.
Let's face it you need to be drawing cards so Peer into the Abyss and Ad nauseam type stuff.

narglfrob

Post by narglfrob » 1 year ago

See the list I'm my signature, as well as the "Considering" section for some ideas.

Some things I found:
[*] Board wipes at instant speed are very very good, and reduce your reliance on spot removal (imo) (depends on the power level of your meta)
[*] Looters were not worth it for me since they died too much, so I leaned into non creature discard outlets more. Instants that draw+discard have played better than I expected (assuming your building a deck intending to hit all it's land drops up to turns 8+)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

narglfrob wrote:
1 year ago
See the list I'm my signature, as well as the "Considering" section for some ideas.

Some things I found:
[*] Board wipes at instant speed are very very good, and reduce your reliance on spot removal (imo) (depends on the power level of your meta)
[*] Looters were not worth it for me since they died too much, so I leaned into non creature discard outlets more. Instants that draw+discard have played better than I expected (assuming your building a deck intending to hit all it's land drops up to turns 8+)
I took a lot of cues from your list as I was putting mine together, it's also how I discovered Ledger Shredder wasn't the bulk rare I thought it was.

My struggle now is making cuts, Lord of the Forsaken for sure belongs and I think you're right about the tap-to-loot critters, even flashing them in, they're too low impact. (Hell, even Memory Jar might be too cute here). I'm going to keep tinkering and hopefully get a chance to playtest next week.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

narglfrob

Post by narglfrob » 1 year ago

re; Memory Jar:

Part of Oskar's awesomeness is his open ended-ness (imo). I think there are at least 3 different builds that one could do.
  1. Reanimator Classic: What you are currently brewing.
  2. Wheels & Wheel Payoffs: Wheel Payoffs include things like Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern, Lorcan, Warlock Collector and similar.
  3. Big Draw: Use big draw effects (such as Peer into the Abyss and Recurring Insight) to fuel Mind Over Matter and Skirge Familiar, probably finishing with something like Psychosis Crawler
Naturally there is significant overlap between these three ideas.

I think Memory Jar is probably awesome in #2 and maybe #3, but probably not #1 imo.

I thought about brewing #2 and #3, but decided it was too much for the power level / play experience I was targeting. I might even try going with something lower threat level than Reanimator Classic to lean into the political options that operating at flash speed opens up.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

You're definitely right. I think there's definitely some lower powered and reactive options. At some point I want to live the dream of discarding Uchuulon to Scuttletide to then cast Uchuulon for max value.

EDIT - have you gotten a chance to actually play with Currency Converter?

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Got in a game tonight, the deck felt pretty clunky, I need to make some changes for sure. Reaction-focused may be the better way to go and then have some fat at the top end of the curve to help close things out, instead of focusing on the reanimator plan.

Obviously, it was a single game, so not a big data set, but when things are clunky, you can tell pretty quickly.

darrenhabib

I thought I'd post a draft of my deck, just to give you an idea of how I'm utilizing Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer. Basically if I'm discarding a card, I want to CAST IT. That's why I have such a low mana curve because if I'm having to discard some cards (say 3 with Bazaar of Baghdad) then I want to cast all 3 of those cards. Now as I said I don't expect people to have a Bazaar or a Chains of Mephistopheles, so my deck is pretty specific.

The other big plays is to Necropotence/Necrologia for most of the life total and then cast out a lot of stuff with the intention of playing Aetherflux Reservoir to gain the life back.

Also a lot of the selection is based off mana cost to meet numerical values (for casting Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer), and so Beseech the Queen, Dig Through Time, Discovery // Dispersal, Commit // Memory are the type of cards that can be cast for less than their actual converted mana cost and help to fill in the higher numbers.

Lion's Eye Diamond is extra special in this deck because you can use it and be able to cast all the cards discarded. I could easily see Necrologia to draw 30 cards and then using Lion's Eye Diamond to kick off being able to cast more mana and not caring discard entire hand because intend to cast enough out to essentially win.

Oskar Storm
Approximate Total Cost:

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

@darrenhabib that's much closer to the revamp I was contemplating, though I'm trying really hard to avoid playing a storm-ish deck. I've dabbled in the past and it's only fun (for me) the first time or two. I just get bored with it too quickly. My list definitely needs to have the average cmc pared down quite a bit, though. Toxrill, Nezahal and Hullbreaker will probably remain as top-end fat, but the rest of the deck will definitely see an overhaul.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”