Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color
Daretti Primer Omnath Yarok
Gonti Primer Ezuri Aminatou

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I'm really curious how this turns out. Rielle looks super interesting. Although if I'm being candid, I kinda hope it's not toooo good since I want to play it in a non-cEDH context :laugh:

It'd be nice to have a good excuse to roll out my bazaar though. That card seems straight up insane here.

What do you see as the primary wincon of this deck? Storm? dramatic scepter?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guerte

Post by Guerte » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
I'm really curious how this turns out. Rielle looks super interesting. Although if I'm being candid, I kinda hope it's not toooo good since I want to play it in a non-cEDH context :laugh:

It'd be nice to have a good excuse to roll out my bazaar though. That card seems straight up insane here.

What do you see as the primary wincon of this deck? Storm? dramatic scepter?
I'm hoping this turns out really well. First commander in awhile I've been excited about trying.

I think storming out with Brain Freeze is the main wincon, with IsoRev/Resevoir as a backup.

I kind of wanted to play Chandra's Ignition and Thousand-Year Storm in here, but I feel they're too high cmc to be played cEDH.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color
Daretti Primer Omnath Yarok
Gonti Primer Ezuri Aminatou

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I don't like Magus of the Wheel, Flux, Grim Monolith, Aetherflux Reservoir, Desolate Lighthouse.

You can look for a few more "instant speed" discard/draw to get the effect in opponents turn with Izzet Charm and Attunement.

Baral, Chief of Compliance seems great as both cost reduction and every so often countering a spell to get the additional 2 draws.

Something else worth thinking about is that cycling allows you to get the draw as well.
Imagine using Tectonic Reformation to cycle excess lands in each opponents turn. That's draw 2 cards for r.

Aetherflux Reservoir just seems like overkill.
I doubt you'll ever have the mana to use Desolate Lighthouse, my gut feel is that its better off as colored mana.

Is Past in Flames actually any good in this deck?

Also check out Surly Badgersaur. Like this card can do S.E.R.I.O.U.S work in this deck.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Just came to say breakthrough was the first card I thought of when I saw that commander and the list looks like a really cool start.

I feel like this commander's low CMC is going to really reward playing both the two new free instants so probly gonna want those.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Just came to say breakthrough was the first card I thought of when I saw that commander and the list looks like a really cool start.

I feel like this commander's low CMC is going to really reward playing both the two new free instants so probly gonna want those.
Mindmoil/Arjun, the Shifting Flame popped into my mind straight away! Then I remembered they don't discard and was sad. That's way out of cEDH range anyhow :cool:

Any thought for Thrill of Possibility or Cathartic Reunion? Maybe in Anje's Ravager's slot?

I dig it. I probably won't build Rielle as a commander since she slants harder towards competitive than suits my taste, but I still love to see what others come up with. She'll be in several decks of mine as part of the 99 for sure!
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Underworld Breach and Lion's Eye Diamond should absolutely make an appearance in this list. Both are INCREDIBLY strong pieces with Rielle by themselves and synergize into a game-winning line with Wheel of Fortune/Windfall and Thassa's Oracle/Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. The Diamond in particular with Rielle actually reads as another pseudo-Wheel effect but just for you.

EDIT: Clearly I can read decklists! Psych. Retract what I said about Breach and Diamond (since they're already in the list) but I definitely think Oracle and Jace could fit in here.

Flinging Rielle would be a hilarious way to take advantage of her first static ability.

Artaud

Post by Artaud » 3 years ago

Artful Dodge could enable Commander kill after filling graveyard enough. Rielle looks like ultimate spellcasting commander but fully optimized deck will cost a fortune - Bazaar of Baghdad, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Diamond, Wheel of Fortune etc. Timetwister looks anti-synergic but it's a tool to retrieve wincons I suppose. I wonder if Rielle can be built (and work) on lesser budget.

EDIT:
benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
Underworld Breach and Lion's Eye Diamond should absolutely make an appearance in this list. Both are INCREDIBLY strong pieces with Rielle by themselves and synergize into a game-winning line with Wheel of Fortune/Windfall and Thassa's Oracle/Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. The Diamond in particular with Rielle actually reads as another pseudo-Wheel effect but just for you.
After closer inspection I came to realize that Underworld Breach + Lion's Eye Diamond + Wheel of Fortune combo will not work. Rielle says "for the first time each turn" so you'll be able to do the trick once and then Breach gets sacrificed EoT. Sure Diamond and Wheel are powerfull cards on their own but Breach doesn't provide combo wincon especially there are no "rituals" in a list. It's a solid card for self-milling strategies though.

EDIT 2:
How about Devastating Dreams? It's not Death Cloud but casting for 2 could be deadly against some strategies (read Elves).

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

@Artaud I don't think you're fully understanding Breach + LED + Wheel. You can cast the Wheel from your graveyard for its mana cost of 2r and exiling three cards from your 'yard via Breach. Conveniently, LED forces you to discard 7 cards AND generates rrr (which is enough mana and Breach targets to recast the Wheel!). Repeat until you draw your deck, which is why you want to have Oracle and Jace to win the game.

Artaud

Ah, you're right. I focused too much on Rielle's ability and did not see dinosaur in the room ;)

benjameenbear

Rolling Earthquake would be a great option to keep the Board clear of Tymna and dorks while not killing Rielle. Gotta love that 3 toughness. Additionally, it also opens the battlefield so that you can take advantage of Rielle's power buff and actually kill players via Commander damage. Something to consider.

I will testify that LED + Underworld Breach is 100% broken and awesome. Imagine Yawg's Will on steroids. Phenomenal interaction. You don't even need to have a win outlet that directly capitalizes on it since you can get SO much value out of it. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a shot.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

If playing breach, should absolutely be playing Muddle the Mixture (in non-black decks who struggle to find breach).

benjameenbear

@pokken Great idea.

I wonder if Runechanter's Pike would be a legitimate kill condition for this deck alongside a decent removal suite. Being able to wipe the table of X/2's is extremely relevant and the Earthquake variants all do a good job of opening up the field for Rielle to kill. Anything larger than an X/2 can probably die from spot removal, so I think there's something to consider here.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
I will testify that LED + Underworld Breach is 100% broken and awesome. Imagine Yawg's Will on steroids. Phenomenal interaction. You don't even need to have a win outlet that directly capitalizes on it since you can get SO much value out of it. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a shot.
Shhh, don't go shouting that to the world, I like that combo in my Elsha deck....Let's just say, Intuition into Sevinne's Reclamation + Lion's Eye Diamond + Underworld Breach....which would you pick? ;)

benjameenbear

Elsha is super solid as a cEDH commander already but that Intuition pile is beautiful. I love Catch-22 Intuition piles. The best.

Artaud

Back to the topic, I just wonder how do you kill? Are storming (Aetherflux Reservoir / Brain Freeze + Dramatic Scepter / Lion's Breach) and Rielle's beatdown the only options? Is that enough?
As for card choices Foil has some potential but your Island count should be higher for it I suppose. It's a free counter with Rielle anyway.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Artaud wrote:
3 years ago
Back to the topic, I just wonder how do you kill? Are storming (Aetherflux Reservoir / Brain Freeze + Dramatic Scepter / Lion's Breach) and Rielle's beatdown the only options? Is that enough?
As for card choices Foil has some potential but your Island count should be higher for it I suppose. It's a free counter with Rielle anyway.
So I like Rielle, the Everwise, I really do. However, I have found that Brallin, Skyshark Rider and Shabraz, the Skyshark just do a better job as the commander. You run much the same lines, but Brallin, Skyshark Rider isn't limited like Rielle is. Whether or not the pair will be cEDH capable has yet to be seen, I am just now working on refining my list. I will hopefully have a full write up done of the new partners by the end of the week.

To sum it up, in my opinion Rielle fits better in the 99 than at the helm. The limitation of being only the first time each turn just turns me off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”