Tasigur's Revenge: Forbidden Oracles

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Once upon a time, I had a cEDH Tasigur deck that ran a Flash Hulk package. With the Flash (re)banning (praise the Lord), this deck needed to get seriously overhauled. So, it dropped the creature synergies and the Flash package in favor of more utility cards, answers, and card advantage.

Tasigur cEDH
Approximate Total Cost:

Some cool interactions:
  • Because Nyxbloom Ancient is absolutely ridiculous, I added in Neoform so that you can sac Tasigur to put the Ancient to play right away as well. Neoform also has utility for turning 1 CMC mana dorks into an "adapted" Incubation Druid.
  • As a refresher, the Razaketh lines are still in the deck. You get Razaketh to play via sac-ing Tasigur to Eldritch Evolution and then tutor for Life // Death to turn your lands into creatures for Razaketh's ability. Tutor up a Combo line and win.
  • There are now TWO ways to win via Tasigur's infinite mana ability: Thassa's Oracle and the Reality Within combo. Oracle makes this SUPER easy since you cast it and the ETB trigger will win you the game on an empty library.
Perhaps I'll write up the Primer I had and make updates to it too, but this should at least get anyone started.
Conquest Decklist
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

bbeast
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by bbeast » 4 years ago

Quick question, could you explain which cards produce the infinite Mana for the reality within combo? Thank you!

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

bbeast wrote:
4 years ago
Quick question, could you explain which cards produce the infinite Mana for the reality within combo? Thank you!
Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal + the mana dorks and rocks is one way.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

That's correct. You could easily slot in Freed from the Real so that Incubation Druid or Bloom Tender goes infinite.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

I edited the OP to account for the Flash banning and changed the decklist quite a bit as well. The focus of the deck now revolves around Thassa's Oracle/Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and the Forbidden Tutors (Demonic Consultation and Tainted Pact). Infinite mana from Dramatic Scepter is still here and Neoform and Eldritch Evolution have 4 different angles to vary between: Nezahal, Primal Tide/Seedborn Muse for Card Advantage; Razaketh, the Foulblooded for Combo lines; and Nyxbloom Ancient for Mana Advantage.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

I am a little curious why Urza, Lord High Artificer is in the deck. Seems like a little bit of a deviation. Not to mention, if you do activate him, and cannot cast off the activation, its in exile while Tasigur wants them in the graveyard. I would think Thrasios, Triton Hero would be better, no?

benjameenbear

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
I am a little curious why Urza, Lord High Artificer is in the deck. Seems like a little bit of a deviation. Not to mention, if you do activate him, and cannot cast off the activation, its in exile while Tasigur wants them in the graveyard. I would think Thrasios, Triton Hero would be better, no?
Great point. I have a copy of Urza and the original iteration of the deck had a heavier creature count in addition to Yawgmoth, Thran Physician for a flavor win (probably at the expense of efficiency). Thrasios is definitely better for what Urza really is: a mana sink that can be taken advantage of with Nyxbloom Ancient and Seedborn Muse.

The thing that that I like about Urza is that he puts mana and power on the board as well to preserve my life total. Tasigur isn't a secret anymore and he draws a lot of combat damage. Having Urza helps to dissuade people attacking into my life total while building mana advantage and having a mana sink for Seedborn and Nyxbloom. It's done well in the very limited games I've had with him, but I like Thrasios a bit more because of the CMC considerations.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Great point. I have a copy of Urza and the original iteration of the deck had a heavier creature count in addition to Yawgmoth, Thran Physician for a flavor win (probably at the expense of efficiency). Thrasios is definitely better for what Urza really is: a mana sink that can be taken advantage of with Nyxbloom Ancient and Seedborn Muse.

The thing that that I like about Urza is that he puts mana and power on the board as well to preserve my life total. Tasigur isn't a secret anymore and he draws a lot of combat damage. Having Urza helps to dissuade people attacking into my life total while building mana advantage and having a mana sink for Seedborn and Nyxbloom. It's done well in the very limited games I've had with him, but I like Thrasios a bit more because of the CMC considerations.
I think if you had more Artifacts that sat on the board and weren't mana rocks, Urza would be the better choice. However, since you only have the basic rocks, Urza feels kind of overkill. Thrasios would just do better IMO. If you are using Urza himself as a blocker, In most cases Thrasios just does fine. Most of the time if Thrasios would die, so will Urza. Plus Thrasios lets you have better control over the top than shuffling first, which is the only thing I don't like about Urza. While I obviously haven't played the deck, I don't see enough artifacts to make Urza worth it.

benjameenbear

Updated the list to include some new cards from Commander Legends.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”