Kykar Combo

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 4 years ago

Hey guys put this list together. Let me know what you think. Jaya's Immolating Inferno is for funsies. (Replaced with Comet Storm)Any help is Appreciated. I'll type out more of the deck tomorrow or the day after like combos and stuff.
Decklist

General, 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
- Past in Flames
- Mountain

+ Echo of Eons
+ Academy Ruins
---------------------------
- Flusterstorm
- Plains

+ Counterspell
+ Command Tower
- Cascade Bluffs
- Mystic Gate
- Rugged Prairie
- Serum Visions

+ Sulfur Falls
+ Glacial Fortress
+ Clifftop Retreat
+ Merchant Scroll
- Mystic Forge

+ Daze
- Jaya's Immolating Inferno

+ Comet Storm
- Jeskai Ascendancy
- Retraction Helix
- Banishing Knack

+ Abrade
+ Teferi, Time Raveler
+ Serum Visions
Last edited by The Desacrator 4 years ago, edited 18 times in total.

Tags:

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

I like it! I think the Divergent Transformations package is neat and should do some good work.

What's your reasoning for including the Retraction Helix cards? I'm intrigued, but also feel like I'm missing something there.

Wouldn't it be better to have Tidespout Tyrant as part of the package? That way you can bounce between various mana rocks that net positive mana and, with an active Kykar, create infinite Spirits.

The applications of this deck with Elsha are super interesting too. America for the win!

The Desacrator

Thanks dude I appreciate it! Retraction cards to go infinite with ascendancy and like a mana rock. I don't know if he is worth playing or not. It kinda breaks up the transformation combo.

EDIT: Thinking of adding Academy Ruins and Echo of Eons/Time Spiral.

Styrofoam

Post by Styrofoam » 4 years ago

Change inferno to comet storm, and you can burn people out at instant speed.

benjameenbear

The Desacrator wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks dude I appreciate it! Retraction cards to go infinite with ascendancy and like a mana rock. I don't know if he is worth playing or not. It kinda breaks up the transformation combo.

EDIT: Thinking of adding Academy Ruins and Echo of Eons/Time Spiral.
I don't think that the Tyrant necessarily disrupts the Transformations package. It seems likely that you'd have a mana rock or two in play that you could use to start the Tyrant loop if your only other target is Trinket Mage. The Tyrant also offers additional Board Control in case things don't go so well for you.

I've been pleased with Echo of Eons in my Memnarch list, so I definitely recommend it to you!

The Desacrator

Making these revisions:
- Past in Flames
- Mountain

+ Echo of Eons
+ Academy Ruins

Edit:
- Flusterstorm
- Plains

+ Counterspell
+ Command Tower

benjameenbear

Seems pretty good to me!

Have you had a chance to play some games? I was initially enamored to try a Polymorph list with Kykar, so I'm curious to see how this build does for you!

The Desacrator

I have not played with it as I still need to buy cards for it. Try it and let me know what you think. What would be your win con?

benjameenbear

I think I would build something similar, frankly. I've toyed around with proxying up the below list to see how it does, but haven't bothered with actually printing out the missing cards.
cEDH Kykar Polymorph
Show
Hide
Kykar Polymorph

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

There are 3 Polymorph targets in the deck, all of which are high impact cards by themselves and/or ways to combo off with Kykar.
  • Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite turns out Spirit army into lethal while also being a near perma-death for any other cEDH creature base, notably stopping any Flash Hulk lines cold while she's in play.
  • Tidespout Tyrant is incredible board control when not combo-ing off while offering a way to generate infinite Storm from Kykar and thus infinite Spirits when you bounce the correct mana rocks.
  • Elsha of the Infinite (named appropriately!) offers an incredible Card Advantage engine by herself while also going infinite with Top and Kykar to draw your deck.
  • Alms Collector allows me to turn draw 7's into massive liabilities for my opponents while also being a solid blocker. And because I'm playing 4 Draw 7 effects in the deck, there's a decent chance that I'll be able to fire off a Wheel effect + Alms Collector to empty my opponent's hands.
I decided to include a Wheel package and Payoff suite of cards because the cards by themselves are very good and, in conjunction with each other, create an incredible resource advantage to me. Narset, Parter of Veils/Alms Collector/Smothering Tithe all love to play with Windfall/Wheel of Fortune/Echo of Eons/Emergency Powers to create a lopsided advantage in my favor.

I'm not sure if 3 Polymorph effects is too many for the deck, as this decklist is theory-crafting based on my experience, but I think I'd prefer to have a density of Polymorph effects instead of consistently spending tutors to find them.

There is of course the Dramatic Scepter combo as well to generate infinite mana and infinite Spirits.

My funsies win condition is Expansion // Explosion because the copying ability can sometimes come in handy during a counter-war while also offering a great mana sink in the late-game.

The Desacrator

I like the idea of Expansion/Explosion. Might have to add that to the deck

The Desacrator

Revisions:
- Cascade Bluffs
- Mystic Gate
- Rugged Prairie
- Serum Visions

+ Sulfur Falls
+ Glacial Fortress
+ Clifftop Retreat
+ Merchant Scroll

EDIT:
- Mystic Forge

+ Daze

The Desacrator

Had a chance to play a few games. Initial testing showed that the Ascendancy Combo is so bad. The two enablers pretty much do nothing on their own. So I cut them for Serum Visions, Abrade, and Snap. Gonna test out these cards. Also running out of gas is kind of a problem, not sure how to remedy that. Other than that the deck is strong and very fun to play. Haven't updated the deck list as I wanna get some games in with those cuts.

The Desacrator

Styrofoam wrote:
4 years ago
Change inferno to comet storm, and you can burn people out at instant speed.
Will do this. Updating the list.

The Desacrator

Updating the list.

benjameenbear

Any game reports here? I'm inclined to build a Jeskai list as my next project or rebuild Zacama, so I wanted to ask for your feedback here.

The Desacrator

Yeah so I found Kykar to be really underpowered in my meta. Switched to Elsha and the power level is much higher. I can give you my decklist if you want. Also plays more like a combo deck rather than control deck. More fun for me at least.

benjameenbear

Sad day. I've heard similar things about Elsha from other people I trust, so I think that maybe building around Elsha will be my next goal.

I'd be happy to see a decklist!

The Desacrator

Here is my list:

https://archidekt.com/decks/315300#Elsha_Combo

EDIT: Only card I am not playing that I should be is Timetwister. I can't afford one right now and I dislike proxying cards I either don't already own or don't plan on buying.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 4 years ago

I'm putting Kykar together for a more competitive meta and plan on running the Underworld Breach + Brain Freeze + LED storm combo to either win with something like Grapeshot, Reservoir or Thassa's Oracle. Any thoughts on the combo with Kykar, or is Elsha just better?

The Desacrator

Elsha is probably better. If you don't have a plan for like infinite mana it isn't worth playing in ny opinion. The incremental mana advantage is not that great to be honest. If it produced blue mana maybe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”