darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Decklist

Commander

Non-Vampire creatures

Instant mana

Approximate Total Cost:

I've never looked at Vampires in Magic before and I have no knowledge of their lore within the multiverse. But I started researching them for a specific card, Falkenrath Gorger.
I've helping out in a thread that's looking to use Anje Falkenrath with Worldgorger Dragon and Animate Dead and during that time I've been tempted by the dark side of bloodsucking undead and have come up with a tribal brew instead.

The only Vampire tribal decks I have played against are Edgar Markov builds and they tend to be built around cheap casting Vampires. I've been beaten within an inch of my life with them, but I've never lost a game to them. I'm not saying that they suck (got to have one pun) and can't have their good games, but they do tend to run out of steam.

This is much more of a mid-top end arrangement of Vampires. A more pure bloodline you could say. With Anje Falkenrath ability to filter cards you can afford to put in more expensive casting Vampires as you can discard them to potentially draw into cards that serve you better at a given stage.

The main idea of the deck, besides just being Vampire tribal goodstuff is to put your Vampires into torpor (graveyard) to then have them rise in a single glorious awakening (return to battlefield or hand).
With Anje Falkenrath ability to put them into your graveyard you can setup for cards Living Death, Balthor the Defiled, Patriarch's Bidding to put them all directly onto the battlefield.

There are also cards that return creatures from your crypt (graveyard) to your hand, Restless Dreams, Empty the Catacombs, Shadow of the Grave, Garna, the Bloodflame.
This allows you to get additional value out of your previous filtering, and sets you up again to get further meaningful draws by just discarding them again to Anje Falkenrath.

The big combo is to use Anje Falkenrath with Falkenrath Gorger. You can keep putting your Vampires into your graveyard or even cast some of them for their madness cost if needing value straight away. Anje Falkenrath will keep untapping and you can do this indefinitely as long as you have Vampires in hand. This makes your return to battlefield and hand from crypt (graveyard) cards very powerful plays.
Because Shadow of the Grave and Garna, the Bloodflame only work during a particular turn, these are really best saved up for the Falkenrath Gorger combo.

There are some of what I'd consider the better madness cards in the deck to get some value, as you can filter them away if they are not helping at that stage of the game, or you can cast them for their madness cost to get pure card advantage.
But this is a Vampire deck, so madness is not the main focus.

Anje Falkenrath ability to filter cards means that you can play a few lands less than you normally would for converted mana costs. The reason is that you can keep discarding expensive spells to dig for lands. So you should be able to hit a land drop most turns.
Plus the true casting cost for a lot of the deck is in actually playing a big reanimation spell, rather than casting all your Vampires out one-by-one.

I'd say about the most notable exclusions as far as Vampires that I'm not playing any "aristocrat" type creatures, as they are really only good when you are looking to use them with infinite combos.
So these cards I had lined up if wanting to go a combo route, while still keeping a Vampire theme are; Blood Artist, Falkenrath Noble, Oathsworn Vampire, Pawn of Ulamog, Vindictive Vampire, Yahenni, Undying Partisan, Bontu's Monument, Phyrexian Altar.
But in the end I wanted to play a pure Vampire beat-down strategy for a more fun build so excluded them all for more Vampire synergies and themes.

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Tags:

Vessiliana
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Vessiliana » 4 years ago

I loved the write-up. In fact, I have an Edgar deck (which is in danger of being replaced with Anje), and my own Anje is dragon tribal mass reanimation, so I found some the tech here useful.

But I simply loved reading about the vampire madness build so much that ... I might even consider building it, too.

LazySaiyajin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by LazySaiyajin » 3 years ago

I really like this list and write-up. Felt my Anje deck lacks in theme. How do you like it so far?
I'm also wondering how Chains of Mephistopheles helps with Anje Falkenrath? You end up discarding 2 cards to draw one, no?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

LazySaiyajin wrote:
3 years ago
I really like this list and write-up. Felt my Anje deck lacks in theme. How do you like it so far?
I'm also wondering how Chains of Mephistopheles helps with Anje Falkenrath? You end up discarding 2 cards to draw one, no?
Actually it still remains a theoretical deck, I never got around to building it.

Yeah I thought the Chains worked differently so its just pure card disadvantage so no loss removing it.

I had forgotten about this theory-crafting and will actually get to making it. Just glancing it again some changes I will make is adding Reaping the Graves, Songs of the Damned, Crypt of Agadeem,
There are also a couple of Vampires that have been printed since I first researched for a list and Silversmote Ghoul and Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose feel pretty good additions. I'll play them over say Vampire Hexmage, Kheru Mind-Eater.

darrenhabib

Alright got a bunch of games in and it performed much better than expected. Much more resilient than I thought for anything that is creature based and "weaker" tribal. The big 3 mass reanimation cards (Patriarch's Bidding, Living Death, Balthor the Defiled) means that you go through a number of board wipes and still come back on top still.

Plus been winning games without actually playing Falkenrath Gorger the signature card. Although I did get one game where I played it and yes it was sweet.

Anyway I've made some changes straight away. Can't but help get the value out of Bone Miser and Surly Badgersaur even though they are not Vamps.

I found the madness cards that are not to be vampires and require spending x to be pretty average in From Under the Floorboards and Avacyn's Judgment.
Mana is precious in the deck for casting some Vamps at times, so really investing mana isn't really the best.

Thought having at least one graveyard removal for when you do mass reanimation can come in handy when against other decks that are looking to do the same thing and dump cards into their graveyard. Nihil Spellbomb is perfect for that.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

List looks sick - Anje definitely seems like the most fun RB Vampire commander.

I'm curious if you've ever felt like you have trouble keeping options in hand open? Anje is a Mad Prophet in the Command Zone (with upside, even), but that's just a rummage and your only "raw draw" in the deck is Wheel plus a few cards you could trigger like Bone Miser. Has it worked out? Seems to me that Read the Bones and Reforge the Soul would be hugely helpful. I also know from playing Varina that Archfiend of Ifnir is totally worth it even in dedicated tribal builds - it's just going to be so many -1/-1 counters for you.

darrenhabib

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
List looks sick - Anje definitely seems like the most fun RB Vampire commander.

I'm curious if you've ever felt like you have trouble keeping options in hand open? Anje is a Mad Prophet in the Command Zone (with upside, even), but that's just a rummage and your only "raw draw" in the deck is Wheel plus a few cards you could trigger like Bone Miser. Has it worked out? Seems to me that Read the Bones and Reforge the Soul would be hugely helpful. I also know from playing Varina that Archfiend of Ifnir is totally worth it even in dedicated tribal builds - it's just going to be so many -1/-1 counters for you.
So far I haven't noticed "not filling up". But I've only had 5 games and one of them I had Bone Miser AND Surly Badgersaur, so I had a full belly of cards.

Another game I was playing I had Anje's Ravager. I discarded just before my turn to madness in and then dumped my hand and drew 3 cards each turn extra for the rest of the game. My opponent was using Spore Frog with Meren to fog my attacks which mean't that even though they could have killed Anje's Ravager they didn't. This was a HUGE mistake on their part as I just got so much card advantage from it.

The thing is that you are not just spinning your wheels when you discard a Vampire. You do draw through your deck fairly healthy so that with "only" having 3 mass reanimation I have always drawn into one. In fact I've had to sit on them for a number of turns, as you really want to stock your graveyard first.
So thinking about another one like Twilight's Call, Command the Dreadhorde, Entreat the Dead, Rise of the Dark Realms hasn't been necessary so far.

If anything I could probably put a few more tutors in for Falkenrath Gorger, but I'm keeping it fairly casual so just happy to draw it naturally. Otherwise I could add Imperial Recruiter and say Beseech the Queen. Tutoring for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Cabal Coffers can also really speed up the game plan as you can start casting for the madness costs as well as filtering to your hearts content.
Even maybe mana doublers are they way to go, but I want to keep it pure blood Vamps as much as possible and not water it down with good stuff black instead.

Archfiend of Ifnir is definitely the creature to include outside of Vamps (and Bone Miser/Surly Badgersaur). But I've been happy to lean on the Living Death plan. Actually what happened the first few games is that I was using creature kill spells in Murderous Compulsion, Big Game Hunter, Avacyn's Judgment to kill off some creatures, then instantly regretted it when it came time to Living Death as their creatures that I killed came back into play.
But Archfiend of Ifnir is a cycler so I could see just putting it into your graveyard and then after a Living Death, etc being able to easily kill the creatures that opponents might put into play from their graveyard.

If I feel like the more I play it I needed more draw, then I might look at some creatures in Dark Confidant, Azra Oddsmaker, Mindblade Render. Not Vamps, but still having creature type so will benefit from creature bonuses.
I've been enjoying playing these creatures recently in my Greven, Predator Captain deck so are big on these cards at the moment,.

Reforge the Soul does seem nice as you can get so may additional attempts with Anje Falkenrath ability to draw in opponents turns. What I will say is that if a person is looking to make the deck on a budget then just swap out the Wheel of Fortune for Reforge the Soul.
Actually I could see using Scheming Symmetry to put Reforge the Soul on top of library, and then in the draw step of the opponent chosen for the tutor use Anje to draw and then cast it making that opponent discard that card.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”