Treva, the Lifegain Bane

Nimbaway
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Nimbaway » 4 years ago

TREVA
the Lifegain Bane
There is a little bit of story behind this latest deckbuilding endeavor of mine. To start off, there are a few lifegain decks running around in our meta with various levels of survivability. During a more recent game night of our group, the decision was made to change things up a bit and do a 2HG game. Part of the reason was that we had some new players at the table whom were borrowing decks, so through this we could help them a bit more on piloting these decks.

Now, I generally try to avoid building a new deck that is similar to what the others have, so generally I just try to have ways to win despite their gained life. But during that game there were a things that happened which peeked my interest and looking into if these things could work my intrigue only grew, until I decided to start sleeving things up after all.

To keep things different, I ended up going into the Bant direction with my lifegain list just so I had access to all the colors I wanted to use within this deck. Furthermore, when I started playing Magic on our kitchen table my first deck happened to be a lifegain/clerics deck, so I am using a few cards here as a small tribute to this deck.
Decklist by Function/CMC

Commander

Sweeper Effects

Pet Cards

Approximate Total Cost:

Decklist by Card Types
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

the Concept
I'm still a combo player at heart, so I'm going to be playing lifegain combos to get my life going upwards. The main win conditions in this deck are Felidar Sovereign, Aetherflux Reservoir and Laboratory Maniac. But I've also added a few clones to let me piggyback on the win cons my opponents are playing, as a means to beat them at their own game. If all fails there is Approach of the Second Sun to fall back on.

The cards tributing my old deck are: Serra Avatar , Phyrexian Splicer and Soltari Visionary. The chances of pulling this off in EDH will be far more limited for sure, but they aren't necessarily dead cards.

Tags:

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

The freshly unbanned Painter's Servant would do very well here.

Nimbaway

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
The freshly unbanned Painter's Servant would do very well here.
I'd be curious to hear how you would use it in this deck. Currently I don't have any cards in the deck that would benefit off the color changing effect.

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

Nimbaway wrote:
4 years ago
I'd be curious to hear how you would use it in this deck. Currently I don't have any cards in the deck that would benefit off the color changing effect.
I imagine they're referring to the fact you can use the ability to make all your permanents (incl lands) X colour, then when you activate Treva you can choose that colour for significant lifegain.

Nimbaway

JoeyB11223 wrote:
4 years ago
I imagine they're referring to the fact you can use the ability to make all your permanents (incl lands) X colour, then when you activate Treva you can choose that colour for significant lifegain.
Hmm, that definitely would do a fair bit of gaining life, but it's a card that does nothing without my Commander on the board. Add in that Treva is there mostly to facilitate the color identity of the deck while being slightly on flavor, the deck isn't really built to take advantage of getting to hit with her. So I'll have to give it some thought if Painter's Servant is worth including.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”