Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow: Ninja Tempo - RETIRED

plushpenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
What are your thoughts on Trinket Mage? I've run it in my lists and am toying with cutting it, but struggling to do so. I can't decide if it's THE reason my deck is currently like 0-5 :(.

- Clearly our most explosive draws include some combination of Ornithopter, Sol Ring, and/or Sensei's Divining Top. I don't run the moxes (yet) but those are also clearly pure gas for a mana-starved aggro-tempo deck like Yuriko. Mage is functionally an additional copy of each attached to a 2/2 body that loves being ninjutsued/Curfewed/Crystal Sharded back to your hand as often as possible.

- It also has a fail rate of being a Borderland Ranger if we make sure to include Seat of the Synod and Vault of Whispers.

- And, there are several additional trinket targets that aren't terrible here including Engineered Explosives (to clear out token swarms), Aether Spellbomb and Executioner's Capsule (tutorable removal/disruption), Nihil Spellbomb, Relic of Progenitus, and Pithing Needle to stop "unfair" decks, and Runed Stalactite for more ninjas. I don't run Signal Pest or Universal Automaton but they do exist and are interesting and useful.

I'm torn right now between cutting mage entirely, and just cutting my "cute" Mage targets. What do you think?
I'd say cutting it entirely is fine. I'm just about to cut a body that grabs busted tutors because I'd much rather be applying pressure than paying a total of 4 mana to get something.

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
I'm torn right now between cutting mage entirely, and just cutting my "cute" Mage targets.
Executioner's Capsule, Nihil Spellbomb and Relic of Progenitus are just solid cards, I can't see how those'd cost you a game. But you're not really showing what your game plan is with Trinket Mage. If you're running it as tutor on a stick you could just as well run a good tutor with less limitations. If you're running it as "Borderland Ranger" then even a signet would be less of a tempo loss. Running it as a tutor that's recurrable through ninjitsu is... cute but slow. Perhaps if you have something like Skeleton Key as mage target.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

gabriel_404

Post by gabriel_404 » 4 years ago

Hi all,
I'm loving the lists and the good ideas! I just built a similar tempo & extra turns based Yuriko deck. So far am 2-0 and that's pretty well untuned. Definitely going to keep working on it.

I just want to point out that even though 1-mana and 2-mana evasive creatures ( I call them sneaks) are awesome, 0-mana is even better. There are three free sneaks that I know of: One card in my deck that I'm excited about but haven't drawn yet is Bolas's Citadel. Have any of you tried it?

gabriel_404

Post by gabriel_404 » 4 years ago

Oh, and M20 gave us a flash sneak! Spectral Sailor

plushpenguin

So, on the topic of flash sneaks.. They tend to be good at keeping your tempo after a boardwipe.
Haste also does this, and we never got a 1/1 with haste for 1 available in nonred colors until now.

Enter Gingerbrute. I mean, who blocks with haste creatures anyway?

Strix

Post by Strix » 4 years ago

plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago
So, on the topic of flash sneaks.. They tend to be good at keeping your tempo after a boardwipe.
Haste also does this, and we never got a 1/1 with haste for 1 available in nonred colors until now.

Enter Gingerbrute. I mean, who blocks with haste creatures anyway?
Banehound is always so easily forgotten :smirk:

Gingerbrute isnt bad. He helps enable Emrakaul slightly better in lists that run it. Its essentially a banehound that you can pay 1 extra mana to make unblockable which is okay I suppose. Downside is it dies to artifact removal... but whos gonna waste artifact removal on the gingerbread man. I'd say gingerbrute/banehound are decent includes in Local game store metas or playgroups that are very board-wipe focused, same for spectral sailor I suppose. In cEDH metas I haven't had much success with them as there was less boardwipes in general and I found we needed our 1 drops to really "do something other than just be an enabler", like for example a mistcaller is able to cripple reanimation, yisan activation or a flash-hulk play.

Plush have you joined the Yuriko Discord? Theres a lot of lists and discussion on cards with varying degrees of competitiveness being talked about. Several people in there run different variants too (Turns build, Stax Build, Unblockable-tribal, Draco-Flips, etc etc). Its a part of the Dimir discord (just go to the Yuriko secton) and is quite active. Address: https://discord.gg/6Mb9p3q

plushpenguin

Sure, I'll take a look. I'm playing something that is essentially unspecialized... I'll have at least some to say.

plushpenguin

Cards that got cut a while ago
-Spellseeker (too slow)
- Thalakos Seer
- Preordain (Don't really need ponder variants)

+ Negate
+ 1 land
+ Gingerbrute

Cards I want to cut
Baleful Strix
Throat Slitter
Higure
Serum visions
Cyc rift

Cards I want to add
Grafdigger's Cage
Mauloseum Wanderer
Drown in the Loch
Something else spicy.

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

What are your thoughts on Cavalier of Gales. Could be a good mid/late game play if you're stuck with some cards you in hand you want to use for a Yuriko trigger. 5cmc is also a nice hit from the trigger itself and it's a 5/5 flyer that you don't have to worry about dying.
Probably too expensive and slow for the deck, but it looks interesting.

plushpenguin

This deck got retooled in so many ways that I can't even list them all.

So, I'm running a build that is half control, a little bit of turns, and a little bit of flipping a gigantic 16 cost card. As it turns out, the clock is still a very good incentive to put an otherwise dead card in the deck. Sometimes you can't actually get that many attacks in and in those situations you want to make the most of each flip.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

Have you considered running Mana Severance to avoid hitting lands with Yuriko? Nightmare Incursion can sort of help as well If you have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth out.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

plushpenguin

Card Slinger J wrote:
4 years ago
Have you considered running Mana Severance to avoid hitting lands with Yuriko? Nightmare Incursion can sort of help as well If you have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth out.
People have, but I believe the option that has less of an opportunity cost is simply to run more fetches for both better fixing and to remove a 0cmc card from the deck.

plushpenguin

I got a scalding tarn

+ Scalding Tarn
- Island

Mjmirobelli

Post by Mjmirobelli » 4 years ago

I run Insidious Dreams but never even thought to look at Turbulent Dreams. Insidious Dreams has been an pretty outstanding so far so I should probably look at its cousin. Plus I remember really liking Torment when the set came out, so including another card from that set will be fun.

wrinklykiller
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wrinklykiller » 3 years ago

Oops, you're two cards short in your list. Mana Drain, Grim Tutor?

Now that I look again, marchesa is short and gitrog is over. Did you maybe make some changes and forget to trim the fat?

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

I need to recheck all my lists. They change on occasion but not very often. Artifact Marchesa and Gitrog has barely changed as I have rarely gotten to play them even before Covid.

This list as it stands is also retired. I didn't take it apart, but rather I turned it into the stax variant of cedh Yuriko lists. There is a big resource on that which can be found in the cedh deck database.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”