My Version of Yawgmoth

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

Hey MTG:Nexus, this thread contains my version of Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. My build is influenced heavily by darrenhabib's deck which can be found here. There are many wonderful threads for Yawgmoth on the forum including benjameenbear's which is a very nice primer. I have also visited toctheyounger's thread which is very nice as well. I am posting my deck mostly because I just love Yawgmoth and I want to keep records of what I change. There are some excellent threads for readers if they need information. I will of course welcome any suggestions or questions here as well.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by xeroxedfool 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.
They're both Griffith, get it?

xeroxedfool

Out: Dreadhorde Invasion

In: Contamination

It was actually still pretty difficult for me to make a cut here. There were quite a few good suggestions for cuts. I remember drawing Dreadhorde Invasion later in a game and thinking it was pretty low impact. If it had been any creature I could have cycled it.

Contamination is powerful in almost all stages of the game. It is also a unique form of disruption the deck could use.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I never tried Dreadhorde Invasion in Yawgmoth, but I did run it in Varina. It was very slow to say the least, so it's an easy cut here; if this is anything like my build it's 0-100 in nobody's business.

How has Tenacious Dead worked out for you? I wanted to try it out, but as much as I tried I just couldn't justify adding it as the weakest self-reanimator - I struggled to squeeze everything I wanted to in anyway.

K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth - how good is it? Seems nuts, and I'd like to pick up a copy anyway, but I want a place to put it before I commit to that. It's a moot point for the moment anyway, my LGS is out of the precons what with the very short print run.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

xeroxedfool

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I never tried Dreadhorde Invasion in Yawgmoth, but I did run it in Varina. It was very slow to say the least, so it's an easy cut here; if this is anything like my build it's 0-100 in nobody's business.

How has Tenacious Dead worked out for you? I wanted to try it out, but as much as I tried I just couldn't justify adding it as the weakest self-reanimator - I struggled to squeeze everything I wanted to in anyway.

K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth - how good is it? Seems nuts, and I'd like to pick up a copy anyway, but I want a place to put it before I commit to that. It's a moot point for the moment anyway, my LGS is out of the precons what with the very short print run.
I haven't drawn K'rrik since I added him. I honestly don't know how powerful he will be, but he seems good. I like that he provides a unique effect.

Tenacious Dead is not a card I like honestly. I've drawn it and never really wanted to spend the mana on it besides just casting and cycling. With so many tutors I can always grab the Bloodghast or Nether Traitor if I want. They are some of my favorite Entomb targets when I'm not trying to reanimate.

xeroxedfool

Out: Tenacious Dead, Liliana, Death's Majesty

In: Bloodsoaked Champion, Yawgmoth's Will.

In the past few days thinking about this list I've came up with these changes. Tenacious Dead isn't that good from my experience, atleast it doesnt fit well with my play style. Champion can be reactivated later if you want to. This allows for a little more control over when you want to recur it.

Yawgmoths Will is an interesting card. Considered one of the most powerful cards ever made, I wonder if it really lives up to that in this format. I think that it provides a unique and powerful effect. But requires a lot of mana to be useful. When you compare Will directly to Liliana, which I admit is a little unfair, Lily is cheaper to use if you just want to recur one creature. In the later stages of the game Will is insanely stronger than Liliana. It can recur all sorts of things beyond creatures.

But if it is the late game, Will resolves, I have my graveyard and mana to cast 2-3 spells from it, am I not in a good position anyway? Could YawgWin be YawgWinMore? Those are my random thoughts on the card. I'm going to test it in my build and see how that goes.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
But if it is the late game, Will resolves, I have my graveyard and mana to cast 2-3 spells from it, am I not in a good position anyway? Could YawgWin be YawgWinMore? Those are my random thoughts on the card. I'm going to test it in my build and see how that goes.
If you mean being in a good position after those 2-3 spells resolved, then Yawgmoth's Will helped you get there. Otherwise whether you're in a good position depends on more than just mana and your graveyard.

Will is an all-purpose recursion tool because it uses the word "play" instead of "cast" (e.g., steal somebody's Azusa, resolve Will, and then play 3 lands from your graveyard). Black is really good at getting back creatures, but has few options for anything else, so I see Will as black's Eternal Witness, only better because it scales with big mana even though it has that exile downside. Resolving Will to re-cast Entomb for something else to cast from your graveyard is fun, too.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

xeroxedfool

[mention]lyonhaert[/mention] I like the point you make about Will being black's Eternal Witness.

I do want to mention that Entomb is not a combo with Will the turn you have Will's effect. Anything that would enter the graveyard that turn is exiled instead. You could Entomb for something before you cast Will but not during.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
I do want to mention that Entomb is not a combo with Will the turn you have Will's effect. Anything that would enter the graveyard that turn is exiled instead. You could Entomb for something before you cast Will but not during.
Yep, you're right - it's a replacement effect and there's no window for that. I think I had it mixed up with Necropotence's exile trigger.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

xeroxedfool

Very small update here.

Removed:
Star Compass

Added:
Arcane Signet

Arcane Signet makes the format smaller by an appreciable amount. Why would you ever play something like Star Compass or Coldsteel Heart now? Charcoal Diamond seems like a cruel joke. Anyway, this is a simple upgrade.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”