Arbitrix of the CAG
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JqlGirl » 4 years ago

'Twas a game of Commander, when all through the shop
Not a Sol Ring was stirring, nor even a BoP;
The big decks were shuffled by the players with care,
In hopes that St. Sheldon soon would be there;
Old Arix was nestled along the sea bed,
While visions of one-shots danced in his head.

Slumbering Isle: Do Not Disturb

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I've been intrigued by Arixmethes since he was first spoiled but it took me until now to actually figure out how to build a deck around him. What I ended up coming up with is a lot of fun and reasonably powerful.

Main tenets of what the deck does:
  • Arixmethes is a land before he becomes a creature, so using effects that bounce all creatures or nonland permanents work well with him as it allows him to stay on the battlefield.
  • Arixmethes has 12 power, so any effect that can double his power (or give him infect) allows him to one-shot opponents if unblocked, often out of seemingly nowhere.
  • Arixmethes is a powerful ramp spell, so I want as much 2-cmc ramp as is (reasonably) possible in order to get him out on turn 3 consistently, allowing me to have 6-7 mana on turn 4.
  • Play ramp and draw cards!
What the deck doesn't do:
  • Play a lot of artifacts or enchantments. This allows my big bounce spells to affect my board minimally.
  • Play infinite combos. Yes, I can make infinite G with Pemmin's Aura on Arixmethes, and can also do it with Freed from the Real, but that's not the goal of the deck.
  • Play a bunch of landfall stuff. That's really the easy route to go in a UG land deck and I wanted this deck to play differently. Also, both Roil Elemental and Rampaging Baloths don't work well with my bounce spells.
Finally, a couple of card specific notes:
  • I'm normally loathe to play Cyclonic Rift, since I feel that it's overplayed and unbalanced for the format, however it's just another mass bounce spell in this deck, so I don't feel too bad about playing it. Yet.
  • Thespian's Stage can copy Arixmethes with counters much the same way that it can copy Dark Depths. While the copy of Arixmethes won't be my commander, it can still be a good surprise attacker and get an opponent who's not expecting it.
I welcome any thoughts or suggestions you might have. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by JqlGirl 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

Artaud
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Artaud » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

This deck is very well built. It has a theme, but doesn't sacrifice power for the theme. It has a good balance of staples and unique cards and an excellent manabase. Expertly done!
They're both Griffith, get it?

JqlGirl
Arbitrix of the CAG

Artaud wrote:
4 years ago
Errr, Amulet of Vigor?
Other than Arixmethes himself, I don't see much else it interacts with, so I don't see the value in running it. Why do you think it would be good?
xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
This deck is very well built. It has a theme, but doesn't sacrifice power for the theme. It has a good balance of staples and unique cards and an excellent manabase. Expertly done!
Thank you! What do you like best about it?

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Another Arixmethes deck :D

While my preference for Arixmethes is to play thematic sea creatures and an exploration theme, this is a more streamlined way of playing him. I do love landfall strategies though, but I can understand focusing more on bounce. It always pains me not to see more sea creatures though, as my build lends itself heavily to Blue.

Dive Down is a nice, thematic protection spell for Arixmethes, and I have been testing Simic Charm.

Artaud

Post by Artaud » 4 years ago

JqlGirl wrote:
4 years ago
Artaud wrote:
4 years ago
Errr, Amulet of Vigor?
Other than Arixmethes himself, I don't see much else it interacts with, so I don't see the value in running it. Why do you think it would be good?
Interacting with Arixmethes is enough for me as he gives you mana right away for control or removal spells. It also works with any "search tapped land" spells and lands that enter tapped, Mosswort Bridge and Simic Growth Chamber especially. You could even add Thawing Glaciers - it's on theme (ice age) and works great with Exploration / Burgeoning.

I like a deck but disagree with some choices like Toothy, Baloth (both non-thematic and kind of weak) or Slinn Voda. Also where is Nezahal, Primal Tide? Non-kraken/leviathan but thematic as well as powerful. Crop Rotation is also worth consideration looking at your land selection.

EDIT: I would also reconsider your Equipment selection as non of your choices gives you evasion Arixmethes lacks.

JqlGirl
Arbitrix of the CAG

Jace wrote:
4 years ago

While my preference for Arixmethes is to play thematic sea creatures and an exploration theme, this is a more streamlined way of playing him. I do love landfall strategies though, but I can understand focusing more on bounce. It always pains me not to see more sea creatures though, as my build lends itself heavily to Blue.

Dive Down is a nice, thematic protection spell for Arixmethes, and I have been testing Simic Charm.
I fully appreciate a nice sea beasties build of Arixmethes, but that's not what my deck wants to do. Glad to see another fan of our sleepy friend, though. As for Dive Down and Simic Charm, I'd rather not have narrow answers like those in the deck and stick to the more broad focus answers, as well as Teferi's Response.
Artaud wrote:
4 years ago
Interacting with Arixmethes is enough for me as he gives you mana right away for control or removal spells. It also works with any "search tapped land" spells and lands that enter tapped, Mosswort Bridge and Simic Growth Chamber especially. You could even add Thawing Glaciers - it's on theme (ice age) and works great with Exploration / Burgeoning.

I like a deck but disagree with some choices like Toothy, Baloth (both non-thematic and kind of weak) or Slinn Voda. Also where is Nezahal, Primal Tide? Non-kraken/leviathan but thematic as well as powerful. Crop Rotation is also worth consideration looking at your land selection.

EDIT: I would also reconsider your Equipment selection as non of your choices gives you evasion Arixmethes lacks.
I'm still not really interested in that line. I think Amulet is a weak card with generally low upside for the deck. Thawing Glaciers is also too slow for the plan I'm on with this deck.

Toothy interacts well with the mass bounce effects, as the card draw happens on leaving the battlefield, not just death. Baloth is digustingly good, especially when I can drop it on turn 4 with my commander still being a land while it turns even my 1/1s into reasonable creatures. Nezahal also isn't a card I'm interested in for the deck. It's not on theme and doesn't push my commander-focused gameplan forward. Crop Rotation is a possibility, though. I'll consider it.

As for my equipment, I'm happy with all of them as Arixmethes really doesn't need anything more than trample to punch his way through, and he gets to be unblockable from other cards in the deck.

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

JqlGirl wrote:
4 years ago
Artaud wrote:
4 years ago
Errr, Amulet of Vigor?
xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you! What do you like best about it?
What I like best? Honestly, I think its the inclusion of Berserk. It seems like a cool deck with its power level balanced appropriately for the format.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

JqlGirl wrote:
4 years ago
Jace wrote:
4 years ago

I fully appreciate a nice sea beasties build of Arixmethes, but that's not what my deck wants to do. Glad to see another fan of our sleepy friend, though. As for Dive Down and Simic Charm, I'd rather not have narrow answers like those in the deck and stick to the more broad focus answers, as well as Teferi's Response.
I think fan is an understatement, considering I petitioned very hard to have the character get a card at last. I removed Asceticism for not being very thematic (hopefully a reprint has better, more thematic art in the future) and I don't mind the narrow cards for my own deck. But it's an option.

I do wonder though, for those who are not like myself and playing Arixmethes out of sheer love for the character (and unique design) what is the appeal? I have a friend who plays a turbo Arixmethes deck with many one-drops and one CMC spells to awaken and attack with him ASAP. So I questioned why not just play Ghalta? She has trample, is also a 12/12 and can be discounted as well. Is access to Blue what makes the difference? For me, I will always love and play Arixmethes, but I am very much biased as a major fan of the card, so I wonder what the reasoning is for others.

I hope you're playing the version of Explore with Arixmethes in the art! Same with Temple of the False God. Gotta be on theme somewhere :D

JqlGirl
Arbitrix of the CAG

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
I think fan is an understatement, considering I petitioned very hard to have the character get a card at last. I removed Asceticism for not being very thematic (hopefully a reprint has better, more thematic art in the future) and I don't mind the narrow cards for my own deck. But it's an option.

I do wonder though, for those who are not like myself and playing Arixmethes out of sheer love for the character (and unique design) what is the appeal? I have a friend who plays a turbo Arixmethes deck with many one-drops and one CMC spells to awaken and attack with him ASAP. So I questioned why not just play Ghalta? She has trample, is also a 12/12 and can be discounted as well. Is access to Blue what makes the difference? For me, I will always love and play Arixmethes, but I am very much biased as a major fan of the card, so I wonder what the reasoning is for others.

I hope you're playing the version of Explore with Arixmethes in the art! Same with Temple of the False God. Gotta be on theme somewhere :D
I'm playing Arixmethes because I fell in love with the mechanics of the card. It's such a weird and wonderful card with lots of wonky rules interactions. I even wrote an impromptu article about it on the day it was spoiled. (Read here.)

Arix then sat atop my card piles for a long time while I tried to figure out how to build a deck around him. I then started to think of ways to maximize what the card is and does and make that into a fun and efficient deck. This led me to building a deck around fast ramp, mass bounce, and one-shot CD kills. The list above is the result of that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”