He Who Hungers - Discard Control

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Welcome to my page of He Who Hungers. This is my personal take on HWH and is by no way the world of god. If you are intending on a hyper competitive deck I suggest you keep looking as this is not this list. I really value feedback and hope that with the help of all of you, I can keep improving this deck and turn it into the beauty it deserves to be. So please ask questions and suggest cards, I'd love to hear them. This deck is particularly semi-spirits tribal discard based monoblack control. You might be able to take He Who Hungers in a different direction than I currently have and I'd be very interested in hearing about the different direction. Feel free to browse my lists and explanations of cards and hit me up with any questions.

Why You might like the Hungry One:
  • He who Hungers is a very unusual commander. It is one card that even my friends who played during Kamigawa need to ask wait who is that and then proceed to pass the card around the table so they can read He Who Hungers.
  • In Standard and Modern you really enjoy the card thoughtseize. With He Who Hungers you have a thoughtsieze who's price is a spirit creature not 2 life.
  • You enjoy tribal base for your deck. He Who Hungers needs a tribal base to allow you to abuse his ability.
  • You like playing control through resource denial. Who needs blue and its counterspells when the opponent has no hand to play with or a field of creatures on the field to attack with.
Why would you might not like the Hungry One:
  • Being Monocolored limits card options and leads you to some more interesting card choices.
  • You like a more goodstuff commander. He Who Hungers tailors to a semi specific card pool and doesn't play as well as other commanders to goodstuff.dec
  • You want to combo off. The deck can combo but it isn't an infinite combo and that's not my plan for the deck.
Alternative Options:
Erebos, God of the Dead: A powerful monoblack control commander. The fact that he is indestructible and prevents life gain allows for easier attrition. He is very powerful and I have been planning to test him in this deck as he is that powerful. The other benefit he offers than He Who Hungers does is he has a draw effect stapled onto him. However, Erebos lends himself to a more good stuff mono black control rather than discard control.
Greel, Mind Raker: The closest thing to He Who Hungers with exception of the other black kamigawa spirts. This spellshaper is incredibility powerful wehn combine with enough draw power. However Greel doesn't offer the spirit base that He who Hungers offers.
Toshiro Umezawa: A spellslinging Samurai that offers a very different type of control the benefits more from death of opponents creatures than your own. The deck offers more spell based control with pseudo flashback on instants. He has sparked your intrest Look at ISBPathfinder's list here.
Nath of the Gilt-Leaf: So to branch out of MonoBlack we find Nath, the best discard commander out there according to most. It also has tribal support just like he who hungers but rather than spirits Nath uses Elves to further his boardstate control rather than spirits. Nath also typically relies more on mana disruption and hand disruption than the sacrifice control and hand hate that He who hungers does.
Decklist

Artifact Creature (1)

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Return to “Decklists”