Marchesa, the Black Rose: Affinity

plushpenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

So, this is a fairly unusual Grixis artifact build.

The focus is on artifact creatures because they tend to permanently die a little less often when you have Marchesa, the Black Rose out. Abuse ETBs and death triggers by looping and repeatably recurring stuff. Very important when Vandalblast is a card.

Arcbound Ravager is insanely overpowered in this list and should be tutored up whenever possible.

Everyone in my group calls this deck "Grixis EDH Affinity". While there are no actual cards with affinity for artifacts that could make the list, the deck nonetheless carries roleplayers from both past and present Affinity builds. The deck plays very differently from real affinity decks (with one exception), but it is amusing to see how these cards are still among some of the most powerful cards in this build. However, it isn't uncommon to win games from sacrificing all of your artifacts with Arcbound Ravager to power Marionette Master to close out games, which doesn't help dispel the comparison to affinity decks.

Past Affinity cards:
Artifact lands (Great Furnace, Seat of the Synod, Vault of Whispers)
Skullclamp
Marionette Master playing the role of Disciple of the Vault.
Sometimes you saw Genesis Chamber.

Current Affinity cards:
Arcbound Ravager
Cranial Plating
Spellskite
Inkmoth Nexus
Spire of Industry
Arcbound Worker (Hardened Scales ver)
Metallic Mimic (Hardened Scales ver)
The Ozolith
Mox Opal
Urza's Saga
Thought Monitor

Other cards seen in Ravager Shops:
Lodestone Golem
Phyrexian Revoker (when needed)
Precursor Golem
Wurmcoil Engine
Sol Ring
Phyrexian Metamorph
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why play this over other Marchesa, the Black Rose builds?

Pros:
  • A lot of good artifact recursion exists
  • You get access to artifact tutors
  • You have the means to loop etb/death triggers more than once per turn cycle because you have more ways to add counters at instant speed. Also you get the best Marchesa enabler in the game in Arcbound Ravager.
  • Your one-use sacrifice outlets provide more overall value
  • The deck's design works very well with non-infinite combo engines.
  • Overall faster than almost any aggro variant
Cons:
  • Additional weaknesses to artifact hate
  • Mana curve is higher due to lack of available variety in artifact creatures.
  • Lower creature density than other variants. Your aggro game is weaker.
  • Less space for the insane typical engine creatures in typical builds
  • Small incompatibilities between artifact and creature sacrifice outlets.

Decklist

Enchantments

Approximate Total Cost:

Easy way to start the robot chain listed below:

Sphinx Summoner > get Arcbound Ravager> play and sac ravager to itself to put a counter on Sphinx Summoner, sac Sphinx Summoner to get Spellskite.

LIST OF ADDITIONAL REALLY GOOD/INSANE CARDS TO RUN IN HERE

Transmute Artifact (my god this one is expensive)

A basic HOW TO PLAY

The first turns of your game should be setting up your engine. Play cheap creatures or manarocks and then drop Marchesa. You can make your first few attacks about getting the dethrone triggers, especially if you have sac outlets to get a bit more value.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The real fun begins if you can set up what I call "the modular engine". This is where you have or tutor up Arcbound Ravager OR a modular creature + a sac outlet to go with an artifact creature of your choice, preferably one that generates value. Alternately, you have Metallic Mimic naming that card's creature type. However, by far the best plan is to get ravager because it is basically a one card engine in this deck which allows you to loop an effect every 2 turns. Not as efficient as the other options mentioned, but far more durable and far easier to grab. Now you grab stupid tons of value while potentially getting in some damage, but unlike most Marchesa lists this is not the stage in which you get the most damage in.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Finally, you'll need to acquire one of the win conditions to truly close out the game in a timely fashion. It can happen from old-fashioned beatdown but it is more likely one of the following options-

Marionette Master - 4 life per artifact allows very rapid focus fire on an opponent, and is also extra durable to boot. If you can increase its power via an attack, a clone, or say... a Cranial Plating, everyone will melt in very short order. Best wincon and reminiscent of old affinity kills.

Time Sieve: With the modular engine, you realistically sacrifice only two artifacts while gaining value and somewhat acting as your sacrifice outlet with some limitations. With enough resources it goes infinite, but even if it doesn't it provides so much time that beatdown becomes a far more viable option, especially as you GAIN value through each turn. The fact that it costs 2 mana is riduculous. Pair with Genesis Chamber for quick concessions.

Inkmoth Nexus - This land is legitimately scary with the modular engine, Cranial Plating, or just plain attacking with it enough times. Usually you'll want a plating to go with this for maximum effect. This is a Modern Affinity kill condition

Purphoros, God of the Forge: It goes with your engine cards to pile on the damage quite quickly. It is efficient, but its weakness is not being able to focus down threatening players and therefore it is a weaker option than the others on this list. Still potent.
Last edited by plushpenguin 1 year ago, edited 16 times in total.

Tags:

sweetwaterbob

Post by sweetwaterbob » 3 years ago

Any updates on this list? The new treasure dragon Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge looks great here. Also all the free commander spells from c2020

Kelzam

Post by Kelzam » 3 years ago

sweetwaterbob wrote:
3 years ago
Any updates on this list? The new treasure dragon Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge looks great here. Also all the free commander spells from c2020
Was just stopping by to post about this, myself! I ended up replacing Metalworker with Gadrak. Metalworker is an immediate target and usually gets removed before I ever get to tap it for mana, and it's been really inconsistent on how much mana I get out of it. It usually ends up coming down when I have little to no Artifacts in hand. I'm pretty confident Gadrak will be a lot more consistent. Can't tutor for Gadrak as easily as Metalworker but usually I find I have more important things to tutor for and never tutor out Metalworker, anyway. Gadrak can theoretically pump out a decent amount of treasure the turn it comes out, so I'm pretty excited to give it a try :) And early game 5/4 Flying blocker is a pretty nice deterrent from aggressive decks, too!
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

Updating list.

So I was actually at 100 cards but with a misleading land count. Here's what I'm trying out right now
- Meteor Golem
- Noxious Gearhulk
- Island
- Swamp
- Recurring Insight
- Krark-Clan Ironworks
- Gilded Lotus
- Dragonskull Summit
- Drowned Catacomb

+ Feed the Swarm
+ Vampiric Tutor
+ Mox Opal
+ Arcane Signet
+ Urza, Lord High Artificier
+ Arcbound Slith
+ Fiery Islet
+ Cascade Bluffs
+ Graven Cairns

Cards I'm not currently running that are overall insane: Dockside Extortionist.

Hard to find space for Nikara. Yawgmoth is the supreme king of drawing off my creatures though, being both a sac outlet and removal simultaneously. I'll easily accept the extra 1cmc for those benefits.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Hey this looks pretty cool. I'm actually trying something similar with Atraxa (link in sig), but choosing to go 100% artifacts for non-land cards so I can get maximum value from cards like Semblance Anvil and Mystic Forge. I know that is fairly restrictive but I like the deck-building challenge it offers. Proliferate in your command zone is pretty nice, but I definitely appreciate the resiliency and combo potential that Marchesa offers.

A card you might consider is The Ozolith as it basically gives all your creatures Modular.

To make up for some of the lost power by going purely artifacts, I am thinking about taking an artifact stax route but not sure that it will be well received in my playgroup. I'm thinking Tangle Wire, Smokestack, Trinisphere, Damping Sphere, Winter Orb, and Lodestone Golem Gross, but might be an interesting experiment if nothing else.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

So, my plan is to cut Spark Double. Originally, the idea of it was to copy the commander to make it extra-unkillable. However, if you even untap with the commander, you can make it unkillable (or at least extremely undesirable to kill) with non-exile removal ANYWAY, so the extra insurance is really not needed.

However, extra insurance for my OTHER nonartifact creatures is more desirable, so The Ozolith goes in. Especially with haymakers like yawgmoth. Having ozoloth and a ravager means I don't have to wait until my next attack to be able to removal-proof it. It helps that it can turn on Mox Opal early.

Lodestone Golem is always on the top of my mind and it depends upon the artifact ratio of the deck. Get it sufficiently high and it will hurt less to run it, and your opponents will have a horrible time trying to remove it. I'm leaning pretty heavily onto it as a sad robot replacement, which is sad because this is still probably the best sad robot deck and it won't even make the cut eventually.

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

What do you think of Forsaken Monument - it can help you ramp, gain life and pump up creatures. I think it works quite well in three color as you can play quite a lot of rocks and lands (pain/filters/deserts/spire of industry/tarnished citadel/talismans) which can all produce colored and colorless mana.

From recent sets Hullbreacher seems amazing here. Impulsive Pilferer also seems interesting, although it may be too low impact. Does Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith have a place as a cheap artifact token producer?

I am looking to try Toggo out in my mardu shops list, and it seems quite good there as well.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 2 years ago

Guess I need to find room for another land in my build.

I don't think I need to explain why the new saga is good here. Hullbreacher is nutty but I don't have wheels and while it is amazing at getting me mana and artifact tokens, I don't know what I'd cut at this point for it.

Lastly, I find the fact that I can run both Urza and Yawgmoth in a deck and have both of them be effective is a bit amusing.

Oh yeah, I'm also off All is Dust. With cards like Feed the Swarm being a thing, enchantment removal isn't as nearly a big of a problem anymore. Running a Toxic Deluge or Damnation seems like a fine alternative.

plushpenguin

I got more cards that work well with the deck. Surprisingly, they aren't modular cards.

The sleeper for this set is Myr Scrapling. This is deceptively powerful here, allowing you to save your nonartifact creatures on demand. Sparring Construct was very close to playable but just needed that extra boost of being activatable without any help. This is a way to protect your commander that is very cheap even for nonartifact lists.

The artifact duals are also pretty good, but they enter tapped so you don't want too many

Tormod's Cryptkeeper is actually pretty playable here because it is now your first repeatable robo grave hate. The vigilance matters a lot here.

Thought Monitor is very good, being a repeatable draw 2. Affinity makes it very cheap to run out and it is also a construct and a 2/2 so almost all of your tutors hit it.

I also plan on running Liquimetal Torque now, as it is a manarock that can save your nonartifact creatures in a pinch if you happen to have a ravager or similar out. Saving your urza or yawgmoth or jhoira is more important than ever given how busted they are. Can also be used to remove enchantments in combination with artifact destruction, which is nice.

The only playable modular card at 3cmc is arcbound tracker. Unfortunately the best modular cards have white in the color identity. That being said, we aren't really hurting for more modular cards these days, so I'll pass on this one.

Even the ornithopter is pretty playable. It does have summoning sickness, but it's like an arcane signet that you can save by putting counters on it so it doesn't die to artifact wipes. Something to consider if artifact wipes are common in your meta.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/p1fsqKPo8U-l1PLnVVf6nQ

My moxfield list is in flux, but once I finalize my changes, they will be here.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 2 years ago

It really sucks that you can't run "white" cards. Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp would be so cool in this deck.

plushpenguin

So I've realized that the way the deck loses is from combo or my deck's board position being completely overrun. Pretty much no one bothers to go after my stuff anymore, and so I need to squeeze in more interaction. Having Thought Monitor was amazing as it allows a significant portion of my tutors to now hit very cheap and repeatable card draw. When I was testing it in a real game, I paid 1 blue to effectively draw 8 cards over a turn cycle.

This means that card draw is now less of an issue and so I can afford to cut one. I decided to cut Rhystic Study as while it is amazing, between that and Necropotence, necro is still the better card. Most of my other draw effects are artifacts. I don't know what interaction I want to put in its place, so for now I threw Counterspell in there. Can't go wrong.

I cut Solemn and some lands to make room for Urza's Saga. It is predictably ridiculous. Solemn no longer has enough basic lands to fetch to be worth looping.

I also cut Purphoros because he was by far the weakest wincon. In goes Myr Scrapling. This thing is very good at protecting the commander or really anything else that needs the counter and it is easy to get the counter back onto it.

I cut a 2cmc rock for Liquimetal Torque. I cut hangarback for Lodestone Golem as now I can pretty effectively work around it.

Lastly, Dauthi Voidwalker is ridiculous. Throwing it in, and being careful not to get it cloned/reanimated. A bunch of other landbase optimizations and such and random cuts

- 2 basics
- Hangarback Walker
- Purphoros, God of the Forge
- Talisman of Dominance
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Rhystic Study
- Nihil Spellbomb
- Thran Dynamo

+ Altar of Dementia
+ Urza's Saga
+ Scalding Tarn
+ Myr Scrapling
+ Thought Monitor
+ Lodestone Golem
+ Liquimetal Torque
+ Counterspell
+ Dauthi Voidwalker

plushpenguin

This deck performed exactly as advertised. Scrapling, Thought monitor, and lodestone golem especially overperformed. Scrapling makes Marchesa immensely hard to permanently kill and the other two are insane draw engines or resilient stax piece.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

Yeah, it's funny how such a seemingly little thing like Myr Scrapling being its own sac outlet can be such a world of difference. The Marchesa Robots guy in my group tried Sparring Construct at some point and it didn't work well enough for his liking, but this seems better. I've passed your insight on to him. His build is considerably goofier than yours, e.g. he runs Extruder, but it's also true that he pretty much never gets interacted with as all the stuff will just hide in the bin and wait it out. To be fair, we are extremely light on grave hate :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Kelzam

Post by Kelzam » 2 years ago

I've been curious how often you get to make good use of Metalworker in your build? When I've tried it in my Marchesa Robots build I find that I don't have that many Artifacts, or it dies pretty much immediately. It feels like the lake of Haste makes it a target on the board that just immediately dies without ways of getting it back with Marchsea, and it only really feels like it's been relevant early game. So I'm curious what your experience is with it and how it's worked out for you all this time :)
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

plushpenguin

Kelzam wrote:
2 years ago
I've been curious how often you get to make good use of Metalworker in your build? When I've tried it in my Marchesa Robots build I find that I don't have that many Artifacts, or it dies pretty much immediately. It feels like the lake of Haste makes it a target on the board that just immediately dies without ways of getting it back with Marchsea, and it only really feels like it's been relevant early game. So I'm curious what your experience is with it and how it's worked out for you all this time :)
It does put a big target on its head, but I often find myself with at least 2 artifacts in hand. Right now my list is at 41 or so.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

I didn't realize anyone else had done this, but looks like several people have. Definitely getting some good ideas from your list for mine. Here's mine for reference - https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-06-2 ... -arcbound/

What do you think of the artifact cost reducers? Ugin, the Ineffable Foundry Inspector and Etherium Sculptor ? I've gone off a few times with one of them, especially with Top and Bolas' Citadel or Mystic Forge. I've gotten the Bridge Tezz to go off once in terms of just taking the table with his + ability. I think I might've had to use Time Sieve for one extra turn to do it. Was so much fun.

I haven't updated my list in awhile, so seeing yours is good motivation to go at it.

plushpenguin

So, I did an update on this list to get rid of a lot of the cute stuff and chaff because it increasingly turned into a "draw a bunch of stuff and spew out as many artifacts as possible to increase the artifact count that is required for my win conditions" deck. This also means I need more drawpower and mana.

- Dack Fayden
- Grim Haruspex
- Glen Elendra Archmage
- Unspeakable Symbol
- Scrap Mastery
- Island

+ Windfall
+ Rhystic Study
+ Birgi, God of Storytelling
+ Jeska's Will
+ Mana Vault
+ Dockside Extortionist

I could have gone with an artifact cost reducer to take advantage of the plethora of 2 mana colorless artifacts I now have, but as it turns out, producing red mana on any spell cast is probably better, has the option of turning into drawpower later (on an artifact too!), and yeah, spending red mana isn't really a big issue in this deck.

I don't think I need to explain why dockside is good here, even in ways other than "make a boatload of mana".

Is this a competitive deck? Still not really. Far too low on interaction, but I just wanted to double down on the really spicy interactions of the deck, which is the real reason you build it in the first place.

plushpenguin

Iron Apprentice. Insanely good modular creature
Virus Beetle. Time to be really really mean. More mean than lodestone for sure, so probably making that swap.

Anything that benefits mass numbers of modified permanents is also worth looking into, but these are my two "oh my god I need these" cards.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 2 years ago

Isn't Iron Apprentice just a reskin of Arcbound Worker? Sorry if I'm missing something!

Edit: ooooh non-artifact. Much better!

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 2 years ago

Also, if plush ever decides to screw around with non-+1/+1 counters, then this guy can help transfer those.

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 2 years ago

I'm also very excited for Rabbit Battery, think it is deceptively powerful as both a cheap artifact creature that can flexibly and cheaply grant haste.

Is Wurmcoil Engine better than Myr Battlesphere? I've found the second to be more impactful on the board, especially with ways such as dethrone to collect counters.

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 2 years ago

capitacommunist wrote:
2 years ago
I'm also very excited for Rabbit Battery, think it is deceptively powerful as both a cheap artifact creature that can flexibly and cheaply grant haste.

Is Wurmcoil Engine better than Myr Battlesphere? I've found the second to be more impactful on the board, especially with ways such as dethrone to collect counters.
You might be onto something, the majority of the reason I run Swiftfoot Boots is for the Haste. Sure, Hexproof is good if it is kitted onto Marchesa but I mostly want to get a +1/+1 Counter on my dudes ASAP. The Rabbit can be a beater until it starts Hasting up bros and if someone does a big wipe, the Rabbit probably comes back which is something Swiftfoot will never do. I guess I'll have to ask Judge Chat.

Judge Chat says no, so I guess that just means we'll need to Sacrifice whatever she's Reconfigured onto first.
plushpenguin wrote:
2 years ago
Iron Apprentice. Insanely good modular creature
Virus Beetle. Time to be really really mean. More mean than lodestone for sure, so probably making that swap.

Anything that benefits mass numbers of modified permanents is also worth looking into, but these are my two "oh my god I need these" cards.
Would you rank Iron Apprentice over Myr Scrapling? I am toying with it. I do like that Scrapling can save others on demand, but having a Super Modular critter on the team would be huge. Though Iron moves all of those counters while Scrapling doesn't, also Scrapling has died permanently most of the time I've had it come down but it was to save Marchesa. So I guess the question boils down to: do I think I have enough Sac Outlets?
Last edited by Tevesh 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

If someone board wipes Rabbit Battery while it's attached to a creature, I don't believe it dies at all. It would become a creature when the one it was attached to leaves the battlefield.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
If someone board wipes Rabbit Battery while it's attached to a creature, I don't believe it dies at all. It would become a creature when the one it was attached to leaves the battlefield.
It depends on the nature of the board wipe. If it's a Wrath of God or similar, you're right. I believe Tevesh was thinking of something like Austere Command or Hour of Devastation

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”