Xenagos, God of 2x Beatdown

plushpenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

"If overwhelming firepower isn't working, you aren't using enough"

"Embrace every moment, for it could be your last" - Xenagos, God of Revels

Introduction

True aggro decks are rare in EDH. They either turn out to be ineffective creature based decks that don't have a crazy good commander backing them up (exceptions include Edgar Markov) or are Voltron decks that will get their tempo completely destroyed as soon as sweepers show up. Xenagos is one of the few decks that can successfully pull off aggro in a 4 player game, especially in a way that simply involves big stompy creatures. These days, our options are so good that this aggro list has multiple ways of simply "going off" and feeling like a combo list while pummeling all of our enemies into the ground simultaneously. As a result, the deck is feared for its speed and unpredictability, although we still need to watch out for cheap permission and faster combos.
This deck is built to ramp fast and snowball hard, but it also tries to compromise as little resiliency as possible in doing so. Get to 5 mana, play Xenagos, then get to 6 and start swinging. Many of the creatures in this deck will always do 1 of 3 things.

- Cause stupendous amounts of damage (anything that does 20+ damage on a regular attack will qualify)
- Be very difficult to effectively answer
- Give you massive resource advantages while simultaneously doing damage.

Of course, being an aggro list, this is not exactly the type of list that one should bring to a cedh table. That being said, it is potent enough that the decks that can beat this consistently are basically cedh decks. This is a high power list that will be a serious mismatch in power level against the average deck.

Reasons to play the deck

Xenagos is an indestructible God that makes one creature every combat double up on its power (and gets a toughness boost equal to power) and haste. This will empower any big creature to perform beatdowns that would immensely concern someone at 40 life. There is a lot of aggro potential in this general, but the support spells also offer amazing synergy with the general to create a synergistic aggro-combo package. To top it all off, our enabler is resilient to a lot of conventional removal and so we can expect it to usually stay around the whole game.
However, if you are the target of a lot of removal and counterspells, it may slow you down enough so that your late game cannot compete with that of the other decks. We play a suite of cards to prevent this from happening, but we can only hope to find them consistently enough to be relevant. Plus, a lot of our support spells are creature-conditional and we want to be cautious as to not drop these support spells into open counterspells. Lastly, aggro decks naturally have trouble taking on multiple players at once and will often draw fire from multiple players who simply want to avoid losing half of their life total in an instant. That being said, the deck is unpredictable enough that players can often get killed out of nowhere.

Why should I play this deck:
  • You like attacking
  • You like an aggro deck that is less affected by boardwipes
  • You want to be able to kill people from practically an empty board
  • You like incredibly explosive jaw-dropping plays
  • You want a deck that can be built on a budget and keep the damage output, but want to put money in later to make it more consistent.
  • You like reminding your opponents that 40 life is NOT a safe life total.
Why should I NOT play this deck:
  • You're not a fan of a fairly linear gameplan.
  • You hate being targeted for fear of being the cause of someone's instant death.
  • You like playing control decks
  • You want to play cedh. I managed to make the list one of the most aggro decks in the format, but this isn't a cut-throat cedh list. Again though, don't bring it to your average playgroup. You will wipe the floor with them.

Deck History

I started playing EDH with the Mimeoplasm precon from 2011. I learned how to tune 100-card singleton decks with a basic reanimator deck. I then started building more decks on my own. However, one of them was a Gisela, Blade of Goldnight deck that failed. Why did it fail? It did not work because it was too fragile and had very little in the way of card advantage, but I liked how it had the potential to eliminate players quickly. So then I then started looking for other cheap ideas I could build. Then, I realized that no one in my area built a Xenagos, God of Revels deck even though the card seemed built for EDH. It looked so easy to build. I just think of any fatty that would become more awesome if I gave it double power and haste! I bought a bunch of cheap cards, sleeved it up, and gave it a test run.
The very first game I got, I played Xenagod, dropped a Hydra Omnivore, then proceeded to eat 16 out of everyone's life total by hitting an open player, then drew 16 cards off of it with Garruk, Primal Hunter. I got killed after that but I was sold on the deck instantly. I love drawing lots of cards and Xenagos is an enabler that is difficult to interact with! But it's not SO difficult that you can't.
These days, we are spoiled for options. Half of our creatures are downright terrifying when they hit the field and many of the support spells can chain together with the help of the creatures to gain immense resource and/or tempo advantages that will overwhelm a table in very short order if not stopped. I'm glad to have made the deck what it is today after about 5+ years of releases.

Current List
BEATS

Artifacts

Approximate Total Cost:

CARD CHOICES:

Creatures
Reveal
Show
Hide
- Birds of Paradise and co: Basic mana dorks. They are fast. They can allow turn 3 Xenagods with an extra ramp spell. You can trade these ramp spells off with Survival of the Fittest) when you don't need them. Otherwise, this is a go-to for tutors if you need ramp. Downsides including adding devotion and they die to sweepers.
- Joraga Treespeaker : This mana dork is a cut above the previous ones, all because it can produce 5 mana on turn 3. If it lives, turn 3 Xenagod always happens. This card is essentially a green Sol Ring and should be treated as such.

- Arbor Elf: Forests and ways to get them are plentiful in the deck and it has extra synergy with land enchantments

- Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer: A RED mana dork that is a cut above even birds on turn 1. Can fall off later when people have blockers but manadorks overall are poor topdecks anyway, so that downside is fairly insignificant. Stealing fast mana can make this game-winning.

- Sylvan Safekeeper: Losing a land and your haste is much better than losing your six-drop.

- Dockside Extortionist: Generates obscene mana in optimized metagames.

- Collector Ouphe: Shuts down so many decks. Just be mindful if our ramp hand is artifact fast mana.

- Combat Celebrant: This is an extra combat card that will amplify the threat of anything else you attack with. If you do have something big, it will do 4 to 8 chip damage on open players until you play that threat, in which case you are very likely taking someone out in one shot. It supports your deck and provides some useful chip damage, all for 3 mana! If necessary, you can exert it to make it 16 power to draw a boatload of cards, which is an extremely relevant option.

- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds: The card draw on this card is a very minor part of the card. It will likely draw you a card and draw a card for one or two people and that's it. Where the payoff is in the mana production. Early on it will produce 1, which is not great but passable considering what it turns into later. Later on, this card can make 12-40 mana and enable some insanely busted sequences that are almost beyond imagining if you have the cards for it. Combining this with Sneak Attack and card draw basically makes your entire deck combo off.

- Somberwald Sage: Super dork. Three mana for creatures is quite good because it enables you to play a 6-drop and then play additional spells after the attack, such as one of the card draw effects. Or use the mana you save to activate Kessig Wolf Run before you attack. Good card.

- Wilderness Elemental: In metas with tons of nonbasic lands (ie not budget ones), this can probably hit for 20 damage, potentially as soon as turn 4. Probably the best damage-to-cost rate card outside of Godo.

- Dragonborn Champion: This is Toski, Bearer of Secrets for our deck, but instead of being indestructible it is self-enabling! Can draw a surprising number of cards, especially if you combo it with extra combat creatures.

- Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion: It hits hard, it is cheap, it loots away situational cards, it generates mana, and it gets in for damage as you play Xenagod. The best 4-drop attacker for this deck. When your hand is decently full, it is absolutely ridiculous, and even when it isn't it is still passable.

- Elder Gargaroth: It's consistent card draw on a beater. Not amazing, but card advantage is always good.

- Quartzwood Crasher: It costs 5 mana and makes on average a 12/12 trampler (or bigger) on hitting someone. This creates big threats that must be answered separately and by itself provides a 2-turn clock. Very good.

- Malignus: The one-shot monster. This has no trample but when its power is doubled, they must kill or block this, or else they will simply die. When you give it trample, it becomes truly terrifying. Also, the "damage can't be prevented" clause is surprisingly relevant. This guy is your way of beating infinite life.

- Carnage Tyrant: If you absolutely need something to get through, play this. Hexproof is the single best keyword in this deck next to trample, but the rate on this card makes it the only one able to survive in speedier metas. It has 7 power so that extra combats kill a player at full health.

- Godo, Bandit Warlord: We combine this with Embercleave to do 48 damage to an opponent out of nowhere. Best attacker in the deck. Going for this first allows your follow-up attackers to do 24-30 damage with 3 open mana. If you need players dead fast, go for this creature first.

- Moraug, Fury of Akoum: This is a multifunctional malignus-like card that also later in the game acts like a single or double extra combat card. By itself with a land drop it can do 13+27 = 40 damage to an unblocked player and with a fetchland kill two unblocked players. In the pure damage-amp role it can provide two extra combats to another attacker with a fetchland. This card is why it is important to hold your land drops until you absolutely know you don't need or can't utilize a potential trigger from this.
- Scourge of the Throne: This is a free extra combat given to a very well-costed dragon. The only condition is that you attack the person with the highest life. Sometimes, that person is you, but usually it isn't. Attacking someone with this at 40 will reduce that player to 7 from both hits because you get a second Xenagod trigger on the extra combat. Keep in mind that if you want a specific person dead, you can attack the highest life player with the first hit, and then send the 22-damage hit toward that other player. Also keep in mind that this card is far less reliable at attacking who you want if your opponents play fetch lands, but it will still 2-shot the target of your choice given you drew one of the many lands that can lower your life total.

- Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient and Old Gnawbone: These pair of dragons will generate a metric ton of mana upon hitting an opponent. Gnawbone will usually hit for 14 and Klauth will too as often by the time you hit 7 mana you will have Xenagos online as a creature and so adds his six power to Klauth's 8. They both have minor advantages and disadvantages (gnawbone can keep its mana for the next turn, klauth only needs to attack to get the mana) but when you combine it with power-based card draw you will very often win on the spot. It is unsurprising when I say that these two win the game if they get to attack even once.

- Emrakul, the Promised End: This is our only 8+ drop. Generally in a given game, if this isn't the only creature you drew and your permanents are getting removed, it can feasibly cost 9 or even 8 mana to hard cast. This eldrazi has a combination of size, evasion, resilience, and a cast trigger of varying effectiveness but one that grants an angle of attack that is otherwise unavailable to a deck like this. Taking control of someone else's turn is brutal, especially considering the number of decks that flat out lose off of sacrificing all their permanents or paying all of their life. Lastly, cards like Sneak Attack that can cheat the cost make this card easier to play. It alone allows the deck to reasonably win in the late-game.
Artifacts
Reveal
Show
Hide
- Sol Ring: 99% of the time, this card is busted. Run it.

- Mana Crypt: It is even more broken than Sol Ring in this deck because you are the aggressive deck where your life total matters less. With Scourge of the Throne being a card this damage even turns into an upside occasionally.

-Embercleave: 1-card combo with Godo, Bandit Warlord for evasive one-shotting of opponents. Also.. passable when on its own.
Enchantments
Reveal
Show
Hide
-Wild Growth + Utopia Sprawl: It's a 1 drop accelerant that doesn't die to most board sweepers.

- Carpet of Flowers: Blue is such a good color that it is often correct to mainboard this. Also, if you only have an opponent who has one island, this card is passable, two makes it good, and 3+ makes it amazing.

- Kenrith's Transformation: It essentially removes a relevant creature and draws you a card. A 3/3 is completely insignficant against this deck.

- Sylvan Library: Library manipulation is good when you need the correct ratio of everything. Landing this on turn 2 is a significant factor in ensuring you win the game. The draw is especially important as I wouldn't consider it good enough on the library manipulation alone.

- Survival of the Fittest - This is a tutor with a fearsome reputation for a reason. Being able to turn dorks into the specific beef needed to win the game is huge.

- Frontier Siege - (almost) Always choose Khans. It is not difficult to be able to spend the mana you get on EACH main phase almost every turn.

- Greater Good: This card is greater than good. You plop it down, then if you have any big guy that you double in power, you can draw a metric ton of cards. Even if they kill your guy outside of your turn, it is still insane value.
- Sneak Attack: Sneaks things in. Cheats mana costs. Help you hit extra combats and draw faster. Dodges counterspells. You rarely care that your guy dies on eot. When you start multiple activation of this, you should have a plan to murder as many people as possible.
Sorceries
Reveal
Show
Hide

- Gamble: Unconditional tutor in red! If you need ramp, go for Mana Crypt. If you need draw, go for that. A threat? Pick any you want. Extra Combat? Go for Seize the Day. Drew a bunch of cards and didn't play your land drop? Get Reliquary Tower. Just hope you don't discard anything too important and try not to play this when your hand size is 3 or fewer cards unless desperate.

- Green Sun's Zenith: It gets any green creature in your deck. Card is busted in half.

- Sylvan Tutor: Cheap creature tutor for 1 mana. Gets Godo or ramp, whichever is needed.

- Time of Need: Gets some of the best threats in the deck for a low 2 mana. Can also get Selvala, Heart of the Wilds or Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer for ramp if needed.

- Life's Legacy: Draws a lot. You lose the guy, but is immune to blowouts. Try to avoid getting it countered.

- Finale of Devastation: Paying an extra 2 mana is generally not worth it for most threats, but it can still act as okay ramp or be a 5-drop beater in a pinch. Paying 8 mana to get Godo is still worth it. Get Dryad Arbor for ramp. If you can generate 12+ mana, it effectively wins the game too.
- Wheel of Fortune - Unconditional draw 7 for 3 mana. Ideal to play out a hand fast before refilling. Be careful that you aren't helping another deck more unless you absolutely need the cards. This is more of an emergency card than another and should not be misused.

- Jeska's Will: Better Seething Song that often also has a "draw 3" tacked on. Actually quite insanely good.

- Seize the Day: It's two extra combats in one card! You only get to untap one guy, but that is all you need. This card can enable one-shots by itself with the extra Xenagod triggers.

- Relentless Assault: It's an extra combat spell. Worse than Seize the Day but extra combats are so good here we play this anyway!

- Chandra's Ignition: It clears the board, leaves your big guy behind, and offers a boatload of damage to all your opponents! It's a lovely card, and can wipe out a whole table if it goes through.

- Escape to the Wilds: This is a very strong unconditional draw effect. It both ramps and gets you 5 cards, of which you will likely play 4 of them by the end of your next turn. My list has 20 one-drops, so playing a land and a 1-drop the turn you play this makes playing 4 of those cards very feasible. Would be more difficult to justify in higher-curve lists.

- Rishkar's Expertise: So, it costs six mana, but it draws cards and it allows you to cast something costing up to 5 for free! That leads to a stupid number of plays. Extra combats are probably one of the best.

- Blasphemous Act: In multiplayer it usually costs one. It does 13 damage, which sometimes your guys can survive!

Instants
Reveal
Show
Hide
- Blossoming Defense: Stops a removal spell. Depending on meta, you can easily trade these effects for Pyroblast.

- Worldly Tutor: Basic one mana tutor. Gets what you need in a pinch.

- Veil of Summer: It's an Autumn's Veil that stops even more and replaces itself. Insane. Doesn't stop white removal spells but you can't have everything.

- Crop Rotation: You get a land at instant speed. Counts as ramp with Ancient Tomb and is a way to get Reliquary Tower without needing a land drop.

- Nature's Claim: Kills troublesome artifacts and enchantments for one! The 4 life practically doesn't matter.

- Heroic Intervention: Sometimes your path to victory will come down to one piece of spot removal, and having this in hand (and you only really need 1) may sometimes be what you need to secure it. 2 mana is a lot but sometimes you can spare it later in the game.

- Tibalt's Trickery: Red's counterspell. Can backfire, so please use it on only things that are absolutely essential to stop.

- Beast Within: Green's vindicate. 3/3 beast can be chump fodder for your guys but is generally irrelevant.

- Chaos Warp: Red's vindicate. Can occasionally backfire. Awesome to use on your stuff that got stolen.

- Deflecting Swat: Xenagos is sticky once you get him down, so this is reliably free and it stops almost any interaction that can possibly stop you.

- Hunter's Insight: Draws you cards on hit for only 3 mana! The disadvantage is that you have to play this precombat, which can lead to blowouts.

-Vines of Vastwood: Foil enemy removal for 1 mana. Can be used on enemy creatures in a pinch to stop auras.
Utility Lands
Reveal
Show
Hide
I will not discuss mana fixing lands because the inclusion of those are pretty obvious.

- Cavern of Souls: Name God, make Xenagos uncounterable. If he's already out, name something that you want to sneak under a counterspell. If you don't have anything, name human or dragon. Those are the two most common creature types in this deck.

- Kessig Wolf Run: The single most important land in the deck. It not only gives trample and a mana sink, but with Xenagod you get double the power boost off of this land. It makes the nasty non-trample threats that much more dangerous.

- Reliquary Tower: When you draw 12 or 24 cards and keep them all.

- Strip Mine: Nukes big mana lands and mazes. Pretty good. We do need the mana from this land pretty often though. Only use it if you need to.

- Urza's Saga: This land allows you to T3 xenagod without a ramp spell by getting a fast mana rock. Play it on T1, then on T3 float the mana in response to the search and sac effect to be on 3 colorless and 2 other lands on turn 3.
Sample Opening Hands

Opening Hand #1
Forest, Joraga Treespeaker, Taiga, Scourge of the Throne, Veil of Summer, Mountain, Relentless Assault

This is a snap-keep. Joraga Treespeaker alone will always ensure a turn 3 god if it lives and you can probably turn 4 attack someone for 11+22 = 33 with Scourge of the Throne. Although we don't have a draw spell, the curve-out potential of this hand is too much to pass up. Keep in mind that don't have to play our creature on turn 4. We can hold Veil of Summer to try and ensure that our attack goes through removal.

Opening Hand #2
Fire-lit Thicket, Wild Growth, Finale of Devastation, Forest, Forest/card], [card]Old Gnawbone, Life's Legacy

This hand has ramp, it has a fatty, and it has a draw spell. However this hand is slightly imperfect because it has 2 lands and Old Gnawbone is a 7-drop. Nonetheless, it is acceptable enough to keep with the idea that maybe our draws will help solve a few issues.

Opening Hand #3:
Forest, Mountain, Wooded Foothills, Strip Mine, Pathbreaker Ibex, Malignus, Frontier Siege

This is a very slow hand. Frontier Siege is fine to play before a Xenagod but with a lack of ramp spells you will be doing nothing relevant before turn 6, which is really bad. It has lands but not much else going for it.

You should almost never keep 2 land hands without sol ring or treespeaker. This deck is hungry and we need to make sure we can go to 7 reliably every game.
Metagame Considerations
Show
Hide
If your meta is different than mine, you may wish to find room for the following:
(Anti-control cards)
Allosaurus Shepherd
Domri, Anarch of Bolas
Destiny Spinner
Pyroblast
Red Elemental Blast

(Graveyard hate)
Tormod's Crypt
Relic of Progenitus
Grafdigger's Cage
Ground Seal
Soul-Guide Lantern

(Destory all rocks)
Vandalblast

(Pillowforts are bothering you? Wreck everything)
Bane of Progress

(You want to screw over multicolor decks)
Blood Moon
Magus of the Moon
This deck has enough basics to operate under one of these. Sometimes your deck won't be fast enough so getting one of these out can buy you enough time to get your aggression going.

Choosing the Right Hate:
This deck has the space to run a number of hate cards or meta considerations.

Red Elemental Blast effects (blue is more prevalent in these metas), Blood Moon effects, and graveyard hate are all solid choices. Cutting some of the "go really big" cards can be acceptable if you are less likely to pull them off in a given game.
Lastly, playing smaller cards that can give you an advantage even through removal may prove more beneficial if every deck in your meta is packing buckets of spot removal for some reason.

You are not the most threatening deck sometimes, and you may get the "advantage" of being left alone while you pummel a combo deck that, by all standards, probably deserved it.
Cards I DON'T play:
Cards I DON'T play
Show
Hide
Most Double-strike enablers (Berserkers' Onslaught, Rage Reflection, Gratuitous Violence) - These are permanent boosts but they are generally inferior to extra combat steps because they add devotion and the extra combat cards get an extra 50% damage on compared to these. Also they don't work with cards that naturally get double strike like anything with Embercleave. Embercleave itself is the exception due to being free off Godo, Bandit Warlord.

Berserk effects (Berserk, Temur Battle Rage, Fatal Frenzy Fling) - They are generally cheaper than extra combat effects and generally grant an evasive boost and double damage. However, this generally will not finish off a player compared to an extra combat spell because the 50% extra damage you get from an extra combat is important. It is the difference between eliminating a full-health player and leaving them at 8 life. Also, many of them cause you to lose the creature, which frees up opposing spot removal for your next fatty. They also don't do as much as an extra combat in the possible event that you have two fatties out. Lastly, unlike extra combat spells, these must be played before damage, which can lead to blowouts if people can interact with you during your turn. Nonetheless, costing 1-2 mana in comparison to the 4-5 of an extra combat is extremely relevant and I would not fault anyone for playing a card like Temur Battle Rage in their decks.

Swords - The protections from all except Sword of Light and Shadow make Xenagod unable to grant his considerable bonus and haste to the equipped creature. Light and shadow is also better because the creature recursion effect is highly desirable here. If you need to play a sword, play that one.

8-drop creatures (Living Hive, Woodfall Primus) - They cost too much to get an effect that we can get with our other cards. We are an aggro deck first and foremost, which means we do not to let up pressure if we can. This is why we prioritize six-drops, as they allow us to get swinging IMMEDIATELY after Xenagod hits the field. If you have eight drops, you are waiting AT LEAST two turns but most likely more because hitting 8 mana sources in a row without missing one in a turn is not easy for most decks. Terastodon, while normally a great card, is especially bad here because the number of elephants you give opponents are a serious speedbump to your gameplan. Our pillowfort trasher of choice is Bane of Progress.

Tooth and Nail - We're really not doing anything overly crazy with the card. This card is at its best fetching out combo pieces. We are not a combo deck, thus getting two beatsticks is not super crazy. I suppose the best we could do is grab Scourge of the Throne and Atarka to knock some heads. 3 doses of 22-24 damage. Also it doesn't scale well to the early game. It is a paperweight in the early and mid game where we want it most.

Most Eldrazi (Kozilek, Butcher of Truth) - Again, it costs too much. While the benefits are great, 10+ mana is hard to pull off in a timely enough manner. We play a lot of ramp, but we do it to speed out Xenagod and so we don't stumble on our tempo, not to ramp to 10. Also, many of them do not have evasion. With Eldritch Moon, I opted to make an exception for Emrakul, the Promised End because of its combination of power, evasion, resilience, cost reduction (can cost as low as 8-9) and the ability to attack opponents from an angle previously not available to the deck.
Gameplay
Overall planning, mulligan decisions, and gameplay tips:
Before you begin, look around and assess the players at the table. You will need to assess the players at the table who will either combo out more quickly or will try and control you or the other players to a late-game finish. Combo players should be targeted first unless you can trust the other players to handle them. Players with slower combo but heavy permission should DEFINITELY be your first target after that. If you are in a table full of such players, you're probably gonna have a bad time. Hopefully they can ignore you enough for you to sneak in kills. Aggro decks draw a lot of attention and you will be the target of a fair amount of removal. Nonetheless, sometimes one protected fatty is all you need to make an enormous difference in the game. That can be the snowballing nature of Xenagos decks.
  • This list plays enough ramp to try and speed out Xenagos by turn 3 or 4. You always want to find a hand with a ramp spell and something mean to attack with before or after you drop Xenagod. When you mulligan you will want at least those two. Any other goodies are bonuses.
  • Don't use the London mulligan to get rid of card draw. It is quite essential to the deck. If your hand is awkward, consider bottoming a spare big creature or support card instead.
  • You will sometimes find hands that have a bunch of ramp spells and not a lot of drawing or killing business. Generally, hands that over-ramp are fragile hands. They are keepable, but be mindful that your draws can fail to hit enough meaningful cards in a particular game. Keep in mind that we're not a "go really big" ramp deck and we only play ramp to hit 5-7 mana more quickly. We can hit 9 (and in games we eventually will), but can't reliably hit 9 as a "critical turn". There's a reason why Tooth and Nail is not in this list.
  • This deck plays to politics by threatening others with lots of damage if they interfere with your business. When being political, the best place to be is second place. You can beat up whoever is in first place, no one will interfere with you, and you can get some serious resource advantage sometimes in the process.
  • Lastly, try not to make Xenagod into a creature if possible. That leaves him open to more removal, theft opportunities, or worse. You rarely need to over-commit your attackers with the deck so this doesn't often pop up. That being said, opportunties to abuse his 6 power and ability to potentially commander kill DO come up, so use your best judgment in determining the risk vs reward.
Essential Deck Synergies
  • Firebreathing or Kessig Wolf Run + Xenagos: Always do it pre-combat to double the benefits from the Xenagos buff unless you expect the creature to die, just want to give it trample, or you have other post-combat plays.
  • Nonbasic Land Search for Ancient Tomb: Our nonbasic land search spells such as Crop Rotation count as ramp spells when you get Ancient Tomb. Don't forget this when choosing your opening hand!
  • Gambling for Mana Crypt: Gamble in opening hands basically always gets Mana Crypt. However, never do this if you have decent ramp and your chance of failure (hitting a card you don't want to lose) is above 25%. When you draw it later in the game, the same rule applies for getting any other card except Seize the Day and if you have no other choice.
  • Reliquary Tower (Or a land tutor) + Mass card draw: If we can, NEVER play our land drop before drawing a bunch of cards. The reason being is that we may need that land drop to play a Reliquary Tower so we don't inevitably start discarding a lot of our gas. If we can draw or tutor into that tower and play it before the end of the turn, we will have hand sizes that'll make monoblue players jealous. We draw pretty infrequently (once like this a game on average) so having it out will ensure that we never run out of options. If you don't find it, it isn't the end of the world. We'll have beatdown gas that will last days if opponents try to answer us 1 for 1.
  • Extra combats + Xenagos: Xenagos gives his power-doubling buff at the beginning of EACH combat on our turns. This means that every extra combat gives us an additional doubling multiplier. This means that instead of hitting someone for 2x its printed power, you get to hit someone for 2x and again (or someone else) for 4x base damage. 6 times base damage will kill a player at 40 life with almost all of our fatties available.
  • Multiple extra combats + Xenagos + Old Gnawbone or Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient [/card] or Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion: This is a particularly disgusting setup that generally requires you to hit a fair dose of card draw before this route becomes feasible. Both of these fatties basically refund the mana you spend to attack with them and more, and so you can keep chaining all of your extra combats with the mana generated from these guys through each attack. This can oftentimes kill multiple unprepared players in an instant and this synergy is a big reason why this deck has gotten the reputation of "killing people out of nowhere" in my playgroup.
  • Sneak Attack chains: Sneak Attack chains often will involve some kind of mana producing creature such as the one above along with a card draw effect that will hopefully draw into an extra combat. This will allow you to maintain your tempo as you draw and continue to pressure life totals. The other type of sneak attack chain is Pathbreaker Ibex + a massive creature like Scourge of the Throne or Malignus. While it makes Xenagod into a creature, in this case it is beneficial as it allows Xenagod himself to take out a player by himself and this chain will often wipe all players. Sneak attack + Selvala, Heart of the Wilds + card draw is essentially a guaranteed table wipe.
  • Godo, Bandit Warlord: Godo deserves a spot on this list by himself by being undisputably the most effective attacking creature in this list. A list that runs godo will also run an Embercleave because when you run the two together you get an attacker that does more damage than anything else in this list with built-in evasion. What happens is that Godo will fetch an Embercleave onto the battlefield and attach it to himself. Then he will become a 4/4 doublestrike trample, which is doubled to an 8/8 on the first attack. He does 16 damage on the first attack and untaps himself to swing a second time. The second combat will double his power again and make his second attack do 32 damage. These attacks can both target the same player for a total of 48 trample damage. If he dies, he leaves behind his equipment for the next beatstick to pick up and one-shot with. His effectiveness is so proven that running godo + any extra combat is more likely to win the game than aggravated assault combos.
  • Pathbreaker Ibex duos: These cards are threats that can amplify the damage of follow-up threats and are a good reason to commit more than one big creature to the board. The following are a list of duos that, if you untap with one, you will likely wipe a player or a table.

Playing the Deck

Early-game Progression (Turns 1-4)
Your first few turns should be spent ramping. Ideally you will land a turn 3 Xenagos, other times you will have to settle for a turn 4. However the utility cards in this build allow the turn 4s to be more acceptable through their returns later in the game. You always play Xenagos first when possible before your threat if the threat costs 6 or more. This keeps people guessing as to what you actually plan on sending their way and also prevents sorcery-speed removal from stopping you. Secondly, the deck simply curves out better when you play Xenagos first. There aren't a lot of 4-drops that scale super well for attacking in EDH, and so it's a function of the card pool. There are only a few in existence that are acceptable, and the ones I run are the only ones without some kind of drawback from drawing it off curve.
By turn 5, you should hopefully be up and attacking your first target for a boatload of damage. The first swing is the most important. While we expect our cards to eat removal, getting a hit in that can generate some kind of resource advantage that will set us up for the entire game and is the reason why we play the 1 mana "answers to their answers". Additionally, because we are a mana hungry deck, around 10-11 cards in the deck are dedicated card draw options.
The Mid-game (Turns 4-7)

Pick your first target based on board position, ability to win quickly, and long-game potential. Slam down your first guy and immediately start attacking. While you attack this opponent, do not overcommit by playing another threat without good reason. We don't want to let ourselves get set back by mass removal, Xenagos can only grant his considerable buff to one creature at a time, and our clock rarely changes even with the addition of another threat (there are situations where you can make an exception to this rule when you actually play the deck).

Depending on the type of threat you have and the nature of your hand, you can either pursue one of two strategies. You can pursue either a heavy-damage strategy or a resource-generation strategy, both with their advantages and disadvantages.

Heavy-Damage Strategy:
This strategy is usually the default strategy for Xenagos players. It involves leading off with extremely high-damage creatures such as Godo, Bandit Warlord, Malignus, or Scourge of the Throne. The goal is to take out the most dangerous player very quickly while attempting to protect the threats if possible. Alternately, extra combat chains with the mana generating Old Gnawbone can do lethal or Combat Celebrant setups can turn any big creature into lethal in one turns of attacks.

Key cards
Big threats: Godo, Bandit Warlord, Malignus, Scourge of the Throne, Pathbreaker Ibex, Moraug, Fury of Akoum
Extra Combats: Combat Celebrant, Seize the Day, Relentless Assault, Moraug, Fury of Akoum

Advantages: Takes out players very fast, can even race powerful combo players. Can exploit momentary vulnerabilities to take out well-protected control players.

Disadvantages: Can run out of gas. More disadvantaged than other strategies if late-game is reached. Vulnerable to specialized hate pieces such as Glacial Chasm from drawing fewer cards than resource-generation strategy

Resource Generation Strategy:

This strategy aims for the generation of a massive resource advantage through its attacks instead of playing massive damage. You still can get in damage, but the priority is to generate large sums of mana or cards (or both) to draw a boatload of cards and have extremely powerful inevitability with the options that you have. These openers are more dependent on having different types of cards in your hand, but can be more powerful than the heavy-damage strategy and overall harder to stop once it gets going. Sometimes these starts even enable the deck to "go-off", chaining mana and spells into multiple lethal attacks into all players. With the 7-mana dragons, this strategy is as consistent and dangerous if not more so than the former!

Key cards Hellkite Tyrant (steals manarocks)
High-yield burst mana: Frontier Siege, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Dockside Extortionist,Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion, Old Gnawbone, Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient [/card],
Burst draw: Life's Legacy, Greater Good, Hunter's Insight, Rishkar's Expertise, Momentous Fall
Sneak Attack:Sneak Attack -allows for lethal to all players off burst draw.
Extra Combats: Combat Celebrant, Seize the Day, Relentless Assault, Moraug, Fury of Akoum

Advantages: Massive card and mana advantages lead to very high inevitability in following turns. Can allow deck to "go off" like a combo deck leading to instant wins with the right cards on board and cards drawn. Can pivot to heavy-damage strategy if cards drawn allow it. Can defeat specialized hate cards more easily with increased card draw.
Disadvantages: Requires more cards than simply ramp and a beater to execute. Sacrifice-based burst draw very vulnerable to counterspells. Low initial damage output can potentially enable opponents to combo off or go over the top of the strategy before you can finish off all players.

Whatever you do, you must maintain your pressure if at all possible, hence why we usually don't overextend. This deck has options late-game, although we are at a disadvantage because we don't carry the crazy late-game engines that other decks can run sometimes even with a successful resource generation strategy. We only stop pressure to refill, lay down countermeasures, or if there's a anti-creature lock on the board.

You generally perform optimally at this stage in the game. If you can eliminate players quickly, you're in good shape. If you can draw a LOT of cards with one of our draw effects, you are in even better shape. I will say from experience that your chances of winning go up exponentially with resolved card draw, even without a reliquary tower. The card draw is REALLY THAT IMPORTANT.
Late game strategy (turns 8+)
  • Late-game, your deck acts like a sniper. This is both good and bad. It is good because you can usually take out the person in first place very quickly. It is bad because the person in first place should know that YOU are the biggest threat unless the person has the board firmly locked down.
  • However, in most cases, your opponents are going at full speed and probably threatening you with their board positions instead of the other way around. This means that most of your conventional attackers and threats will no longer cut it, although you might have the mana to pull off crazy kills that aren't feasible with the midgame.
  • One of the best ways to win from this position are interactions that will wipe the table. Cards like Chandra's Ignition can turn a single opening into a win or a massive amount of damage to everyone.
  • The addition of Emrakul, the Promised End is a massive boon to the deck's lategame. Now, you can often pay 9 mana to play her, hit someone for 26 (likely lethal) and take control of someone else's turn and essentially take them out of the game (also likely lethal). When the cards are not flowing to you, this is your best shot at turning the tables.

Gameplay-related Difficulties

Pick your targets wisely. Threat assessment is the most important skill to play the deck. Nonetheless you sometimes may be confronted with too many threats at once.

This deck is a lot harder to build properly than it looks. It can run into a ton of problems that you will inevitably face when building and playing the deck. Let's break down the most common barriers.
  • Too many players- Aggro decks get notably worse the more players in a particular game. There is very little you can do to avoid this if you willingly choose to play this deck in a 6 player free for all. If you are facing this, go with the burst mana resource gain strategy. Getting a hit with Gnawbone/Klauth can generate enough value and damage to wipe any number of players.
  • Maze of Ith - Thankfully a good amount of spot removal + land searches can find stuff that get rid of mazes. Nonetheless it sets you back a bit, so do it only if you need to.
  • Blind Obedience effects- These are some of the more powerful hate cards that can practically deny your haste. These are high-priority targets for your removal.
  • Opponent is building up faster- Answer whatever needs to be answered. Rocks for artifact ramp, sweepers for swarms. We can only carry so much removal without diluting the gameplan, but if it is so bad that the other players are worried about them more than a Xenagos deck, then you might have some backup for this.
  • Opponent is killing everything you play- This is typically the biggest problem for these decks. This deck uses a low-cost approach to stop removal. However, adjust your strategy for adding resilience to your strategy, even at the cost of speed if necessary.
  • Opponent is holding all counterspells for Xenagos- Try to force it through at a proper time or get Cavern of Souls or one of the anti-counterspell measures.
  • Opponent has a pillow fort- Call in a Bane of Progress (if your list runs this card) and hope to hell that there is no Martyr's Bond or Karmic Justice out. Alternately, cards like Chandra's Ignition can kill outside of combat. Nonetheless, most Ghostly Prison effects aren't terrible to endure because you merely attack with one creature.
  • You are not drawing into fatties- The fatty density is generally good enough that you'll find at least one or two per game. You have library manipulation, graveyard recursion, and mass draw to help with this. If you are afraid of not seeing threats, keep one in your opening hand. This leads to the other problems that is more common with initial Xenagos builds. My current number is 14 big threats + 6 tutors (I don't count gamble here) for a total of 20 potential threats. This is enough for at least one in an opening hand.
  • Your mana curve is too high- You may be tempted at first glance to throw every gigantic stompy card into this deck no matter its cost. However, the clunkier your deck, the more likely you get stuck with dead cards in hand, and a deck like this cannot afford to be stuck with uncastable stuff. Lower the curve.
  • You are not drawing into draw effects- This is an unfortunate effect of not drawing gas in a format where keeping up in cards is essential for many archetypes. The value of these cards is why we try not to mulligan them away when possible.
  • Xenagos keeps eating enchantment exile- This typically means that your metagame is warped to either deal with this list or you're facing a billion B/W decks.
[/indent]

Changelog
Last edited by plushpenguin 1 year ago, edited 63 times in total.

Tags:

plushpenguin

I haven't gotten a chance to refine the formatting on this too much, so this will have to do until I have more time to figure this out.

Secondly, I'm thinking of cutting Bolt Bend and putting Autumn's Veil back in as a counterspell answer, as the former doesn't work when you sacrifice creatures to draw cards.

I'm also thinking of cutting Scavenging Ooze for Collector Ouphe. The former hasn't been doing too much, and the only graveyard decks I care about are the fast combo ones where the deck isn't amazing against it anyway. The latter can slow down LOTS of people even if it shuts off two-three of my power rocks.

jaishivajai
Pronoun: he / him

Post by jaishivajai » 4 years ago

I've been playing Overgrowth for a while now. It's been great. Unlike Joraga treespeaker, you can recoup your 2 mana of your investment immediately if you have 4 mana available to you. Additionally lands are harder to remove than creatures. They aren't susceptible to boardwipes which are practically guaranteed to show up in a commander game. Also, people can just straight up forget that you have an enchanted land, and you are under no obligation to remind them.

Perhaps your group runs an abundance of land sniping. Ask yourself, is there more creature removal or land removal in your meta? Land removal is almost always less common than creature removal, especially when you count boardwipes.

I still like bolt bend more than Autumn's Veil. Autumn's veil doesn't work when sacrificing cards to creatures either, so how is that a strike against bolt bend? Seems like most times we'd be using bolt bend to protect our big creatures, or just create some other shenanigans at an opportune moment. Remember, the spell you redirect doesn't have to target you or one of your permanents. This means ANY spell played by an opponent that has a target is fair game, and usually at the price of just one red mana. "Oh hello voltron player trying to pump up your commander with an enchantment. I think that would look much nicer on my Siege Behemoth" The possibilities are endless.

So why do you like Autumn's Veil better?

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I don't think Joraga Treespeaker and Overgrowth serve the same function. The former single-handedly Xenagods turn three, the latter does not.

I guess Bolt Bend vs. Autumn's Veil is a bit of a meta call. One of those stops countermagic while the other's more robust to the spot removal it redirects and can sometimes steal turn spells or something. The OP's a little wonky by the way, you name-drop Veil of Summer in places but it's not in your actual 99 right now.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

jaishivajai

One other idea. It seems you are very worried about counterspells in your meta. How about Vexing Shusher?

jaishivajai

Bolt bend doesn't stop counterspells? Can't you just change the target of the counterspell to the counterspell itsself of change the target to bolt bend?

plushpenguin

Correct. Bolt Bend does stop counterspells through redirection to essentially irrelevant targets. However, the main problem arises if you need a countermeasure and don't have a 4 power creature out. In such a case, other choices may be better. I am still uncertain to its inclusion because it is yet untested.

Thanks for catching that I forgot to put Veil of Summer in for Autumn's Veil

And yes, treespeaker is a turn 3 Xenagod uninterrupted. The power of that cannot be understated. Your alternative is viable, but I have no more space for ramp that can accidentally make us reach 7 devotion.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

My bad, I'm extremely underslept thanks to a heatwave. I used to do this exact thing via Imp's Mischief, so that's on me.

I see what you're saying. Bolt Bend needs you to already have a beefslab in play to reap the benefits of the discount, while Autumn's Veil is better at ensuring the first one actually lands. Still a bit of a meta call, I guess, as if there's not a lot of countermagic cruising around you're probs better off with the Bend?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

jaishivajai

I see. Bolt bend is worse without a creature out, and making sure that first creature isn't countered is crucial. My meta is pretty counterspell light.

I see that Joraga can get Xenagos out early. I suppose I was weighing the percentage of drawing a joraga in your opening hand, only a bit over 7% vs. having Overgrowth out later in the game when you can play it and immediately use it. You have a much greater chance of hitting overgrowth mid/late game vs. joraga early game.

plushpenguin

Due to a new meta, I'm currently running both Pyroblast variants instead of boltbend/autumn's because everyone loves their blue... and hates uncounterable spells from the opponent... although I don't play the deck often because very few people in that store have something that can keep up with this list.

As for cuts.. there's only one creature that has ever killed anyone. Balefire Dragon. It also rarely kills boards as well. I'm cutting it.

First up for inclusion is Once Upon a Time. This card just makes mulligans so much easier and paying 2 for it (at instant speed) doesn't even sound that bad. This allows you to feel safer keeping a hand that doesn't quite have that extra land or potential beatdown creature.

I'm also looking into Fires of Invention. However, the downside of this card is very real. This list is optimized enough that holding up instants on other player turns or playing 3+ spells is important.
Nonetheless, the upside of the card is being able to save 4-6 mana and also essentially cost zero if you play it on curve and have some other follow-up. Even if you draw it later, you can play that + big creature and swing. The closest comparison is Nature's Will
The downsides will determine whether this new card will be played over Nature's Will,
which isn't good if you don't curve out of it and don't already have a creature out.
Fires also gets a lot better if they ever print more very solid 4-5cmc threats.

If they print an extra big drawspell, I wouldn't mind it either.

plushpenguin

So, I kind of needed one more draw effect.. preferably an unconditional one, but I got an upcoming one now. A very good one.

Now I'm on 10 CA effects. This should make the deck more consistent.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

~10 CA things has been a good number in my Ghired, which exhibits some conceptual similarities to your list. Seems like a good number. And yeah, of course you're running that new spell in here :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

plushpenguin

Oh yeah, the green castle is going in. It's low opportunity cost and the restriction isn't that bad as long as we happen to hit a monogreen creature. If we don't, it still taps for a color while entering untapped.

jaishivajai

I'm not too hot on fires of inventions myself. I guess I can see it being good dropped on turn3 or 4 if you have nothing else to do, or if you have already established a board and have pulled off one of those incredible card draw spells. You do have 3 powerful card advantage effects which I can't afford in your list, so maybe you get more consistent full grips or at least better selection.

I feel it's not too helpful in most situations. We should be able to curve into xenagos and our first few creatures fine while that card does next to nothing for us. Also we are running a decent number of non-land ramp stuff like birds et. Also a land that adds 2 mana but will count as only 1 land.

I guess the card shines when you want to play a creature and an extra combat spell on the same turn. Or creature and card draw spell... I suppose it has it's merits to help the deck be explosive. It looks like it has too many opportunities to be a pretty useless card.

One card I do like is Escape to the Wilds. This probably due to missing the better card advantage spells, but it looks like a mid-late game bomb. This is a card that can help us find that gas to finish off the last couple of opponents in a 5-6 player game. I often find myself with 10-11 mana in longer games. So play this at 10 mana, play an extra land off the spell and still play a 6 drop on the same turn. Then you can play out the rest of the spells next turn and really smash face.

You've got a 45% chance of hitting a beater that costs 6 or less with this spell. 59% chance of hitting any beatstick if you are at 12 mana.
If you don't hit one, you didn't shuffle the deck so you got yourself closer to the next one at least.

plushpenguin

jaishivajai wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not too hot on fires of inventions myself. I guess I can see it being good dropped on turn3 or 4 if you have nothing else to do, or if you have already established a board and have pulled off one of those incredible card draw spells. You do have 3 powerful card advantage effects which I can't afford in your list, so maybe you get more consistent full grips or at least better selection.

I feel it's not too helpful in most situations. We should be able to curve into xenagos and our first few creatures fine while that card does next to nothing for us. Also we are running a decent number of non-land ramp stuff like birds et. Also a land that adds 2 mana but will count as only 1 land.

I guess the card shines when you want to play a creature and an extra combat spell on the same turn. Or creature and card draw spell... I suppose it has it's merits to help the deck be explosive. It looks like it has too many opportunities to be a pretty useless card.

One card I do like is Escape to the Wilds. This probably due to missing the better card advantage spells, but it looks like a mid-late game bomb. This is a card that can help us find that gas to finish off the last couple of opponents in a 5-6 player game. I often find myself with 10-11 mana in longer games. So play this at 10 mana, play an extra land off the spell and still play a 6 drop on the same turn. Then you can play out the rest of the spells next turn and really smash face.

You've got a 45% chance of hitting a beater that costs 6 or less with this spell. 59% chance of hitting any beatstick if you are at 12 mana.
If you don't hit one, you didn't shuffle the deck so you got yourself closer to the next one at least.
I actually like Escape to the Wilds myself as it digs very deep, gives you a land drop, and doesn't require you to have anything out for it to work.

I think Fires of Invention gets worse the more optimized the deck is. Sure, it can lead to essential 10 mana turns, but it can also severely hamper our ability to respond to the board or sustain a huge chain of spells, the latter of which usually just wins the game.

My card swaps are likely going to be as follows
- Balefire Dragon
- Nature's Will (Despite its potential, it is still the weakest of the 4-drop enchantments)
- Forest (I got fetches and duals.. should be fine)

+ Once Upon a Time
+ Escape to the Wilds
+ Castle Garenbrig (easy access to duals should make this enter untapped almost all of the time. It helps cast the seven drops on 6 or 6 drop creatures on 5 lands)

jaishivajai

On the card advantage note, I highly recommend Skullclamp and Mask of Memory. These guys draw cards consistently with minimal set up costs. It may just be because I'm lacking Sylvan Library and Mirri's guile that they come to mind. Still, I'd take either one before adding Escape the wilds to the deck. I just already run both.

I'll try to post my list in the coming weeks. My deck has come a long way since you first started tutoring me with this list, perhaps over a year ago now? Many thanks and much love for the inspiration over all this time penguin. :love:

jaishivajai

Return of the wildspeaker is amazing. This looks better than soul's Majesty or harmonize for sure. I'd take it over Escape the Wilds too, though I may try to fit in both. Note instant speed. Also, the option to give your beater +6/+6 when used before xenagos's ability will be relevant eventually. I could see this doing an extra 15 damage if you decide to turn xenagos into a creature before you alpha strike. I'm not saying that's what we want the card for, but there will come a time when that extra damage means winning that turn vs. the next.

The great henge is kind of an eyebrow raiser. Given the other 2 great card draw spells to put in, this is probably fine to leave out. Still, it's a free spell after we drop our first beater that nets us 2 life a turn, extra 2 damage dealt by our beatstick per turn, and drawing an extra card. I think I'd rather take lifecrafter's bestiary over this as it can come down early, has a passive scry which helps a ton and still allows for card draw.

jaishivajai

What about Heartless Hidetsugu? Or biorythm? I'm already runningShaman of Forgotten ways and have won using it's ability life total ability. I was one mana away from winning with it on another game I played it.

I think Heartless Hidetsugu is really good. Imagine just locking on to one person and taking them out early. Then Heartless hidetsugu give it haste and still swing in for 6-7 damage. The obvious problem is people having too good of a boardstate to make this guy useful. Still, I think there are plenty of times where you could drop this to take out someone at some point. Or enable yourself to take out 2 people a turn early. Things get nasty if you can get an extra combat after using his ability for the first time.

Also, why aren't you running tooth and Nail? I just don't own a copy myself. Seems like a game winner. I'd got for Emrakul and Ghalta, Primal Hunger myself. 2 giant creatures that only add 2 devotion for 9 mana. This card can take us from losing to winning in a single turn. 9 mana, but worth the investment?

plushpenguin

Thanks. I'm glad this was helpful in some manner.

As for the cards you mentioned, Return of the Wildspeaker looks great. Instant speed draw is so good because it means that we can attack someone, bait their kill spell, and still get our cards out of the deal. I will test both cards, and if they are both awesome, then I actually cut Tireless Tracker. The tracker is a necessary evil. It is reliable and stable draw, but never part of your strong draws.

Biorhythm is banned in EDH.

Heartless is great in metas where you are the only real aggressor. It essentially does close to 20 damage to all players upon getting haste. However, he is very prone to backfiring in metas where people are capable of aggression. I'm not the only aggro player on the table at times.

Henge only comes down after setup time. This negates the biggest advantage of this card.. the draw.

Tooth and Nail is one of those cards where you don't get immense value out of the second creature in this deck. I generally want my tutors to be good both early and late, and this card is one where it is fantastic late and absolutely useless early. That's why I don't run it.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Ah, I see we both reacted similarly to the Henge. That said, I'm pretty sure this goes into a ton of goodstuff battlecruisers going forward.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

plushpenguin

So, after playing a few more games with my "answer to answer" cards, Bolt Bend is getting cut too.

It is actually pretty relevant sometimes that it can't be used when no big creatures are out. While I didn't have it in my maindeck by the time I make this decision, I've been using a lot of my one-shot protection effects to very good use. In particular, cards like Veil of Summer that protect permanents becomes extremely relevant in the face of Detention Sphere, Despark, and Anguished Unmaking.

- Bolt Bend
+ Blossoming Defense

jaishivajai

There is still a bit more tuning to be done on my list. I have finally started to develop more of my own focus on the deck considering the differences in our meta. Beyond the budget considerations, my ramp avoids using creatures, I have more beaters, and fewer answer/protection cards.
Parenthesis signify the total number of that type of card included in the other areas of the deck.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

The ramp is more enchantment and extra lands into play focused because they are harder to remove. I find creatures too easy to remove and they don't allow you to recoup some mana the same turn you play them. Also, I left out Thran Dynamo. I felt making all my ramp come out before Xenagos (besides frontier siege) was more important than thran. With 39 lands in the deck, I have less a need for ramp that hits 2 or 3 mana instead of just 1. 39 lands and extra land into play ramp means temple of the false god is just a better ancient tomb most of the time.

More beaters because the only time the deck struggles for me is when I don't have one. It also ensures fewer mulligans needed. I want to always have a back up creature on deck during the game. Also more creatures means it's easier to play Life's Legacy and the like. Honestly, I'd like to fit another 6 drop creature in there. I may take out Tyrant's Familiar to fit in another 6 drop.

Skullclamp and Mask of Memory are bomb. Again more creatures help make these cards stay relevant. Even once I save up for Mirri's Guile and Sylvan Library and put them in the deck, I'd cut Harmonize before Skullclamp at this point. Our beatstick is usually the priority to remove at any given point in the game, so skullclamp just keeps on giving. It's pretty damn frustrating for our opponents when you just keep attaching skullclamp, they remove the creature, you draw another one, attach clamp. It truly ends games. Also, 2 extra damage :P

Ghalta, Primal Hunger is too good to pass up. This card is basically and "extra combat" stapled onto a card considering it's power. Basically every creature we play needs an extra combat to get to this guy's damage output in one swing. When you pair him with extra combat it's insane. I know it requires having a creature down already to be feasible, but it just keeps working for me. The downside is nothing compared to the upside. Also, this guy can be found with Time of Need. Speaking of, I like Time of need better than gamble. I played gamble twice and it's downside is just too big for me. It costs you a card no matter what, while time of need doesn't. I know you like to tutor for ramp with this early game. Adding more lands just made more sense to me then trying to bank on gamble to work. Also, I often want to search for legendary creatures anyway when I have the chance. Atarka, Emrakul or Ghalta are my go to nearly every opportunity to tutor.

Generally my idea was to really focus on the main goal of being a beat down deck and streamline it more. I feel like it's been better to focus on having more beatsticks available in the deck than trying to protect them from counterspells or removal. A protection spell only works to protect a creature you want to play or is in play. Beatstick creatures are pretty much interchangeable given the deck's construction. For this reason, I'd rather have 2 creatures than a creature and a protection spell. A protection spell does nothing when I don't have any big creatures to play or in play. Big creatures always do something. This also leads to fewer mulligans and more big draw opportunities.

So, there you have it. :party:

plushpenguin

Having a lot of big creatures definitely has the advantage of allowing you to always have a follow up in case someone stops you from doing the damage.

However, the main advantage of having the protective cards is saving tempo. All of my decks value tempo immensely and one stopped removal spell both saves you mana and time by ensuring that you don't lose the mana or damage you invested that time.

My answers are reserved for cards that will cause major problems for your gameplan if resolved. Cards like Blind Obedience or Humility.

jaishivajai

Still sounds like your meta has way more control than mine, and in more disturbing ways. Even Maze of Ith doesn't poke it's head up too much in my playgroup. Counterspells aren't too big either. My xenagos is just living the dream of a more midrange/battlecruiser kind of meta where it can destroy. I've just been removing protection spells because I'd almost always have another creature spell. I've skipped over artifact/enchantment removal because it seemed so unnecessary.

I must point out that a lot of these cards that save you tempo actually won't work early in the game most of the time (which is where this deck really needs the tempo.) In most instances, your first big creature will be played on curve of mana. I mean, do you hold up on playing a 6 drop at 6 mana with xenagos out so you can play it at 7 mana a turn later and protect it with blossoming defense? In nearly all situations, your first big creature of the game will come down with no mana to spare for a protection spell. So, opponent removes your first creature played, then you're left with a protection spell in hand that does nothing. That's a much larger tempo loss on waiting to draw another creature than just playing another creature you have in hand on your next turn. You also suffer a larger tempo loss when you draw a dream hand for instance. Early ramp, lands, a big creature, a big draw spell and a protection spell in this instance. If you can't use your protection spell the turn the big creature comes down and it dies, your big draw spell is worthless after that unless you luckily draw into another creature. You can run the scenario again with 2 big creatures in hand.

I ran the numbers on the odds of you drawing a big creature or a tutor spell. 76% chance of getting one into your opening hand, including 7 drops. It just seems kind of low.

I do wonder why you stick with Birds of Paradise and Thran Dynamo. Birds just seems inferior to farseek or even Rampant Growth. Can you explain the benefit? Are you that set on getting 3 mana on turn 2? Seems like your chances of having some other spell you need to play on turn 2 instead of farseek is just so low. Birds will die in the game eventually and add devotion. Relying on a hand that needs birds for xenagos can lead to tempo loss when someone picks it off early. I've found people willing to spend removal on early ramp creatures which hurts out tempo pretty bad. Farseek on turn 2 really leaves the opponent with no way to stop an early xenagos. It's not like they'll be willing to strip mine on turn 2-4 because it would be a terrible tempo loss that early.

Thran I dropped because it doesn't get Xenagos out a turn early. For example you get a 2 or 3 land hand with thran as the only ramp. There's no guarantee you'll even be able to drop xenagos on turn 5 with that hand. If Thran were cultivate however, you know xenagos will come out a turn early even if you draw no more lands in the first 3 turns. Also cultivate helps fix hands where we draw a couple of colorless land in our opening hand but still have a forest.

Hope you don't mind more in depth critique/questioning on card choices. I just want to play better Magic!

plushpenguin

Birds is a viable GSZ target for 1. This is why I run birds over Three Visits.

The way this deck works, sometimes you get hands with some pretty insane ramp that can put you to 6 mana in a relative hurry. The advantage of dynamo is being able to ramp with minimal tempo loss when drawn later. In the late game it is still relevant to be on 10 mana to throw down a ton of spells in one turn.

I'd actually argue for Oracle being worse than Dynamo here. I'm actually thinking of cutting oracle for the new cantripping removal spell.

As far as the protection spells go, if you're slamming something big on turn 4, they're either not doing anything in order to be prepared for it or they are likely taking a boatload of damage. However, any time after this, having essentially 1-mana counterplay can be vital for taking out players that can gain the tempo advantage out of you no matter how many big things you have in reserve. Also, sometimes you slam on the power ramp and you're actually on 7 mana by the time you start swinging.

I will admit that I do take the risk of being stranded in exchange for having more explosive plays. When you decide to play the deck against Lavinia Knowledge Pool lock, you gotta pull out all the big guns.

Essentially, it's a tradeoff of speed and power vs. consistency. I'm forced to sacrifice some of the latter to get more of the former.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”