Xenagos, God of 2x Beatdown

ManaTapper
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ManaTapper » 3 years ago

omg have you seen the minotaur in the spoiler? ´moraug, fury of akuom!

Tags:

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

So, initially I wasn't sold on the minotaur. After all, worst-case scenario is that I have a plain 13 damage attack with no evasion with no land drop. And if I had a single land drop I can make a malignus-like impression but need to be able to reach 7 mana to do so.

Then I stewed on this for a day and came to the realization that a table cannot let you untap with this or your follow up will wipe the table. This thing is like ibex and Celebrant in that it massively amplifies your follow up threat to table-wiping proportions, adding yet another card that needs to die on sight. Despite the lack of trample, it is not like ibex's 12 initial trample hit is all that impactful either, right?

So given the 8 fetchlands I have, it is very feasible to play a follow up threat that gets to attack 3 times. Lots of my threats also tend to add resources or absurd amounts of damage themselves rather than being a generic trampler. You really want all 8 fetches to get maximum value out of this. Not at all for the budget players. Also make sure your drawpower is good enough to consistently find 2 fatties.

I'm cutting Ilharg for it. Ilharg lost a lot of the cards that synergize well with his trigger (and gained 1) in recent sets and he was always medium at best.

It's a high variance card, but being a malignus that kills two players from full health with no blockers just with a fetchland on initial attack isn't bad either.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

I'd say Moraug is so good that Fabled Passage goes in :P that's what's likely to happen in my Ghired. It also helps that I run land ramp in there, so a simple sequence of "main two, fetch, crack, Nature's Lore" turns into three extra combats. What the hell.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

plushpenguin

Cutting a mountain for Turntimber Symbiosis. Zero opportunity cost flood insurance. Flooding can still happen in this deck.

This does leave me with no space for the flip dual. Honestly, I might not need it since R/G has so many good duals already. In fact, the number of duals makes even Reflecting Pool completely reliable despite my basic land count.

If you don't own a Taiga like me though, you probably want it.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Huh, even Reflecting Pool? I tend to treat that card as Command Tower-tier and autoinclude it in every single 2+ colour deck.

Also, upon actually collecting data, Moraug proved woefully unreliable. And I run land ramp and draw and whatnot! The fact he needs landfall to proc the extra combat means he's actually secretly a seven drop, and I don't seem to recall you liking seven drops much. You mileage may vary.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

ManaTapper

plushpenguin wrote:
3 years ago
Cutting a mountain for Turntimber Symbiosis. Zero opportunity cost flood insurance. Flooding can still happen in this deck.

This does leave me with no space for the flip dual. Honestly, I might not need it since R/G has so many good duals already. In fact, the number of duals makes even Reflecting Pool completely reliable despite my basic land count.

at first glance i don't like the turntimber, the way i see it its a less effective See the Unwritten, but i don't run those cards for the amount of counters in my meta. I guess its the same to get that or the creature countered but still thats 7 mana. i see that you are just using a land slot but don't think a tapped forest land would be better than a basic forest on starting hand.

moraug has its upside and its downside. but when you focus on resources sometimes you get hands with 12 cards to play him and a land... its not a creature u should tutor.

i've been with you a the lowering the curve but i dont think thats a good addition to the deck.

plushpenguin

ManaTapper wrote:
3 years ago
plushpenguin wrote:
3 years ago

at first glance i don't like the turntimber, the way i see it its a less effective See the Unwritten, but i don't run those cards for the amount of counters in my meta. I guess its the same to get that or the creature countered but still thats 7 mana. i see that you are just using a land slot but don't think a tapped forest land would be better than a basic forest on starting hand.

moraug has its upside and its downside. but when you focus on resources sometimes you get hands with 12 cards to play him and a land... its not a creature u should tutor.

i've been with you a the lowering the curve but i dont think thats a good addition to the deck.
The land enters untapped if I'm okay with paying 3 life (which I am pretty much all the time). Hence it actually is almost zero opportunity cost. If it always entered tapped I wouldn't consider it.

Now, the idea with the card is to use it if I'm flooding with little else to do. 90% of the time I'm playing it as a land and if I have tons of good choices with what to do with my mana, I will absolutely pick those over this.

I'm on 13 fatties and 6 tutors that are good at getting them. Even with this number, sometimes I don't find any, or I need to find replacements that aren't readily showing up in my hand because I didn't find my card draw. This is for that. It doesn't cost me a nonland slot.

ManaTapper

Ohhhh, i didn't see that land was the one you could pay life to enter untapped.... that changes everything jejeje. I Apologize for my ignorance on that xD. Thanks to clarify.

ManaTapper

im thinking of giving my Sunbird's Invocation a second chance, since the meta is very much blue, its the same if they counter a draw spell or the enchantment. And since it is a value engine after all, Just trying it out. will use the harmonize spot for it. I'll let you know the results.

i tested the Vivien's Arkbow and did some work, since my deck doesnt have some tutors like Finale of Devastation. i know its unreliable but since our creatures are all bellow 6cmc i can alwais expect to get something for 7 mana when my hand is gone.

this are both ways of cheating creatures to avoid counters.

plushpenguin

Changes 09/27/20
Approximate Total Cost:

So the god boar without a good creature-pair to go with it in the first attack.. is pretty meh. The extra combat minotaur can range from being very meh to being absolutely demolishing depending on what kind of land you can follow up with and how many blockers they have (ideally none, but still viable otherwise if you follow up with an evasive creature)
This one.. is definitely something that needs more testing and can change if it doesn't work out.

Turntimber Symbiosis is amazing. It costs a land slot and the effect is quite strong in this deck. You always play this last unless it is in your opening hand with few other lands and you use it as mana flood insurance. It is amazing for this purpose.

Rending Volley is a meta card. It basically kills every <5cmc busted commander in the game except the jund shard ones, and there aren't many of those that are 4 or less toughness anyway. If you're taking this as far as I am, you're playing against the very top of the casual EDH tier. What I'm cutting are combo pieces that are honestly not very good anymore and threats that are very high-variance in effectiveness and resource gain and also probably outdated.

I'm replacing Overgrowth with Domri, Anarch of Bolas. This was a change long overdue honestly, as domri offers way too much utility for 3 mana. Overgrowth is better than a powerstone, but where it is better than a powerstone is usually at a stage in the game where it doesn't matter. The extra mana is super nice but the extra removal + uncounterability from domri's ramp option is worth the tradeoff.

ManaTapper

plushpenguin wrote:
3 years ago
I'm replacing Overgrowth with Domri, Anarch of Bolas. This was a change long overdue honestly, as domri offers way too much utility for 3 mana. Overgrowth is better than a powerstone, but where it is better than a powerstone is usually at a stage in the game where it doesn't matter. The extra mana is super nice but the extra removal + uncounterability from domri's ramp option is worth the tradeoff.
i did that before even getting the overgrowth but i used Rhythm of the Wild, i think most of the time we swing out and wouldn't be able to protect the domri, besides an enchantment is harder to remove and there are better targets for the removal of ench/artifacts from opponents.

i know the downside is we do not get another discount for the emrakul without the domri but, i rather have uncounterability than 1 mana discount. i run Ram Through so i will keep the tyrant, the payoff on hit is very high to dismiss it. Ill post my deck today.

ManaTapper

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/xenagho ... 1602018399

here is my deck, its not better than yours since venezuelan economy does not let me get some cards but we do as we can

plushpenguin

Pretty solid given what you have to work with.

You may not have the consistency or the blistering speed of the maxed-out versions, but you can hit as hard with very little compromise.

ManaTapper

You know i've been testing charging tuskodon and by itself it's unimpressive good enought but not great, But in the case it's on play with an ibex (hits for 20) or with embercleave (hits for 40) and ir it gets an extra battle phase it's a godo hitting for 16+32... I know they must not block for those numbers but how much can they block. It's not reliable but it's good. I'll keep testing him.

Btw chandra's ignition hits twice as hard to players with him and ram through it's better at him too

plushpenguin

The tusk is just at best an 8/4 trample as it only doubles combat damage. Except blockers absorb twice the damage.

There are plenty of 8/8 tramples for cheap if you're in the market for those.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

ManaTapper wrote:
3 years ago
Btw chandra's ignition hits twice as hard to players with him and ram through it's better at him too
Nope, neither of these is combat damage.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

ManaTapper

plushpenguin wrote:
3 years ago
The tusk is just at best an 8/4 trample as it only doubles combat damage. Except blockers absorb twice the damage.

There are plenty of 8/8 tramples for cheap if you're in the market for those.
If xenagos doubles his power he would be an 8/8 trampler that if not blocked hits for 16... U Say that blockers block twice as hard but if someone blocks a 12/12 trampler with a 4/4... U get 8 dmg, if the same happens here u get 8 dmg just the same.. You could Say the difference comes around those numbers. If someone blocks with a 1/1 u get 14 dmg ... And with the 12/12 u would get 11 dmg... Same happens the other way around if the blocker is a 6/6... 12/12 hits for 6 and tusk hits for 4...

The real Magic stands on extra combats that are the goal here. The 12/12 would hit for 24, while the tusk would hit for 36.

Nope, neither of these is combat damage.

True...

Reaper_RM

Post by Reaper_RM » 3 years ago

I like this deck. I have a budgety build I've been messing with myself. I notice you got some money cards in the deck and I was gonna ask what budget options could be used in place of the following:

Mana Crypt
Sylvan Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Ancient Tomb
Taiga
Fetch Lands

Also, what purpose does Dryad Arbor and Inkmoth Nexus serve for the build?

ManaTapper

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
I like this deck. I have a budgety build I've been messing with myself. I notice you got some money cards in the deck and I was gonna ask what budget options could be used in place of the following:

Mana Crypt
Sylvan Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Ancient Tomb
Taiga
Fetch Lands

Sylvan totur could be with fierce empath
Wheel of fortune with valakut awakening
Ancient tomb with temple of the false god
Fetch lands can't be replased by any other
Mana crypt can't be replased
Any of this changes are budget and won't be advised if You can get your hands on the real deal.

inkmoth Nexus has 2 ways of killing someone.
With 7 mana total plus the Nexus and activation of kessig wolf run with x=4 or the Best way is with vines of vastwood kicked giving it +4/+4
In both cases giving xenagos buff so You hit 10

In the dryad case i dunno

ManaTapper

On the fierce empath, You could preffer to use shared summons, it's way more mana but You get 2 creatures, and been a instant could hit when noone expect it

Rednad

Post by Rednad » 3 years ago

ManaTapper wrote:
3 years ago
In the dryad case i dunno
Dryad Arbor ist fetchable ramp with Green Sun's Zenith for X=0
Permanent Commander Decks
Edgar Markov (based upon ISBPathfinder's primer)
Xenagos, God of Revels (based upon plushpenguin's primer)
Karador, Ghost Chieftain (based upon WizardMN's primer)
Emmara, Soul of the Accord
Nicol Bolas, the Ravager

Flex Commander Decks
Greven, Predator Captain (based upon darrenhabib's primer)
Malcolm & Breeches (10$ Storm Deck by Michael Celani)
Edric, Spymaster of Trest (soon to be cEDH powerlevel)
Araumi of the Dead Tide
Thassa, Deep-Dwelling
Phelddagrif

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

Dryad arbor is also anti sac fodder if someone is running a Diabolic Edict variant.

I disagree with valakut awakening as a budget replacement for wheel of fortune. They do fundamentally different things.

Wheel refills your hand if you top deck it while your hand is empty where valakut awakening would only replace itself. Additionally, wheel can really screw up your tutor happy opponents (most of mine are). I think you would do better to run Reforge the Soul , Magus of the Wheel , or maybe Runehorn Hellkite . They aren't quite as efficient, but would do a better job than valakut awakening to replace the original wheel of fortune.

ManaTapper

jaishivajai wrote:
3 years ago
I am convinced that Unleash Fury is a great card after looking through my deck again. Works with
All additional combat spells,
All card draw spells based on a creature's power This will be a staple that will enable earlier wins. It is disgusting with chandra's ignition! :omg: :halo: At two mana we will easily be able to combo this up with an additional spell late game for insane damage potential. Keep in mind with Quartzwood Crasher and Elder gargaroth, we keep gaining viable 4-5 drops. So for 6-7 mana we can play a beater and unleash fury, easy to do midgame. Unleash fury is easy to back up with a protection spell as well, like Vines of Vastwood. In fact these 2 cards provide 16 extra damage on their own if you don't need to save vines as a protection spell. Unleash fury will be a game ender, I guarantee it.

My new deck is on it's way in the next week or so for a post here. Many changes since it's last incarnation and a slightly different perspective on Xenagos than our courageous leader. (Also more budget friendly.) I feel that running so many removal spells is hampering the deck's consistency. With the huge surge of more efficient tools/combos, the deck should view killing a player as it's answer to problematic spells. I'm actually just down to Beast Within and Chaos Warp as targeted removal spells. (As much as it pained me to cut Decimate [/card]
jaishivajai have You posted your deck? I would like to see it.

PlusP did You tried allosaurus Shepherd or Destiny spinner?

I'm running Prowling Serpopard it's 3 mana but on a 4/3 body that can be usefull to attack and does not miss un red creatures as allosaurus, Yeah sure i would use him if i had him... Spinner is weaker on removal since ench removal can kill her too.

With prowling i oppened space for Domri, Anarch of Bolas and rhythm of the wild and chose to take the veil out.
I have more beatters than plus but less tutors and i Also lack on library selection as mirri's guile.

So i would really like to see the jaishivajai balances to run Fiery Emancipation cause i could be getting My hands on one.

plushpenguin

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago

Mana Crypt
Sylvan Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Ancient Tomb
Taiga
Fetch Lands

I'd replace all of them with any card that generally fulfills the same purpose. Crypt can be a 1-2cmc ramp spell, wheel can be something that draws multiple cards, sylvan can be a creature or a different tutor.

On the upcoming cards, there was one leaked card that I will not talk about until it has been officially spoiled, but let's just say it shows promise here and that I believe it obsoletes one of our more recent acquisitions.

Run allosaurus if your deck is mostly green. If it isn't like mine is, run destiny spinner. Shusher is great but slowing our curve hurts too much.

ManaTapper

ManaTapper wrote:
3 years ago
I'm running Prowling Serpopard it's 3 mana but on a 4/3 body that can be usefull to attack and does not miss un red creatures as allosaurus, Yeah sure i would use him if i had him... Spinner is weaker on removal since ench removal can kill her too.

With prowling i oppened space for Domri, Anarch of Bolas and rhythm of the wild and chose to take the veil out.
I have more beatters than plus but less tutors and i Also lack on library selection as mirri's guile.

So i would really like to see the jaishivajai balances to run Fiery Emancipation cause i could be getting My hands on one.
ok about this, tried Fiery Emancipation and its too dependent on having a creat out to use it the turn it comes on the battlefield and always turned on my xenagos, not a bad thing since with it xenagos was hitting for 18 but it was very akward for the type of play i think the deck should do. So its out.

i now have taken out domri again.... its too hard to protect him so the uncounterability does not last. so i think its best to have the veil of summer if it will be only one use for him on avg.... i will keep testing rhythm of the wild, Prowling Serpopard has done some work alongside Kessig Wolf Run (the mana i keep from playing him i drop on kessig).

I have changed Harmonize for Light Up the Stage. If cast at full cost leaves you more room(mana) to play whatever you get... and if played for only its the best feeling, with harmonize i've had some scenarios where if i wanted to draw with it i could not do the main thing i should do, so i've been looking for other cheaper ways of unconditional draw...

My meta is heavy on artifacts so im changing Blasphemous Act for Subterranean Tremors so i have more oportunities to deal with them. I'm now runing Subterranean Tremors, Collector Ouphe, Vandalblast and Bane of Progress. All of them are sorcery speed but if played well i flip the scenario of the table. instant speed i have Chaos Warp, Krosan Grip and Nature's Claim.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”