Inalla UB Combo Control, American Highlander

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Inalla Combo Control

Enchantments

Approximate Total Cost:

The thing about Inalla that jumps out at me and did when she was first printed is that she's basically a combo outlet that sits in the command zone and can't be interacted with at all except with something like Torpor Orb. Despite my misgivings about eminence and everything, this deck has turned out to be really fun. Most fokls I run into are surprised by the design, whereas she's normally jamming lots of wizard ETBs.

What I set out to do with this deck was essentially replicate a draw-go control deck- to follow the mantras of
  • Hit your land drops
  • Never tap out
  • React, don't act
This deck does basically everything I am horrible at as a player by nature. It doesn't do anything proactive until it's ready to win. It doesn't ramp. It doesn't turn anything sideways unless it's infinite bloodline necromancers. It doesn't rush. It doesn't even really make that many complex plays, it just draws cards, answers stuff and then wins.

It's basically a CEDH deck without all the ramp and a smaller selection of tutors and no stax elements. So it does pretty well if I run into stronger decks. It also plays a slow enough game that gives aggro decks time to overrun it if they're careful.

The latest thing I've done with this deck is straight up cut all the red. I've wanted to do this for a while and it's worked out fine. The bits of artifact answers can be reasonably handled with permission and bounce. And the deck runs way more smoothly from a mana perspective.

In this deck, Inalla, Archmage Ritualist never hits the battlefield. Most of the time I couldn't cast her if I wanted to, and her ability on the battlefield does not engage with my gameplan at all. But she combos and generates a little bit of card advantage, basically serving as the engine to make it so this deck can turn the corner without having to play bad cards.

The best thing about Inalla is that she really only has two play two bad cards to combo, and could get away with zero - the two bad cards in the deck are:
But Expedition Map could and might replace Crystal Shard someday since it can fetch Riptide laboratory which does the same thing.

Altar is irreplaceable and it's good enough with its ability to make the Bloodline Necromancer combo work.

The chief combos we win with are:

Timestream Navigator + bounce effect
Archaeomancer + Time warp + Bounce effect
Bloodline Necromancer + Ashnod's Altar

But Timestream Navigator is basically a combo by itself - it takes two extra turns for 11 mana and it's very hard to lose after doing that.

Spellseeker, Intuition and Time Spiral are the main ways of finding wincons. Seeker is a one card combo essentially, being able to win by getting demonic and vampiric tutors for 4 mana.

All in all this is one of my favorite decks if not my current favorite. It plays a pretty unique game compared to most combo-control decks I've played that have to commit to playing too many bad cards to function and can get serious whiffs with ramp heavy hands from time to time. The opening hands in this deck are the best part - there is basically no air in there.

As far as feedback goes I would love your thoughts on a few things I am noodling on:

* Should I cut the bloodline necro/altar combo entirely? It's good. But it's somewhat vulnerable to hate and requires a bad draw (Altar).
* Do you like the idea of Expedition Map for Crystal Shard
* Does Expropriate really make sense to you in this deck?

Tags:

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

I dug up this post because I saw you reference your list in another thread.

I'm interested in the idea, and Inalla, Archmage Ritualist got two very good cards in Dominaria United, namely Aether Channeler which becomes a draw / bird engine (copy bounces original channeler) and Ertai Resurrected which is a hard counter on a body.

Is this deck still in your lineup, or have you retired it?

Either way, I am interested in this eminence only version of the deck, even if I do decide to go a little more into the typical tribal etb than you did.

Also, I am curious if you deliberately left out Cyclonic Rift for the other options because they enabled you to get back etb wizards.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
I dug up this post because I saw you reference your list in another thread.

I'm interested in the idea, and Inalla, Archmage Ritualist got two very good cards in Dominaria United, namely Aether Channeler which becomes a draw / bird engine (copy bounces original channeler) and Ertai Resurrected which is a hard counter on a body.

Is this deck still in your lineup, or have you retired it?

Either way, I am interested in this eminence only version of the deck, even if I do decide to go a little more into the typical tribal etb than you did.

Also, I am curious if you deliberately left out Cyclonic Rift for the other options because they enabled you to get back etb wizards.
Heya! I haven't had this deck for a while but UBx control is still something I mess around with. Inalla was my very best build of it; the manabase was just insanely smooth. Adding more solid ETB dudes just makes it way better to be honest :)

Interestingly I left out Rift for a variety of reasons; 1) I was playing a hard control shell and I wanted to deal with things more permanently or combo (e.g. Evacuation). Rift has great value as a Spellseeker target, but for me I wanted to just try to win the game if I spellseekered (since vamp+demonic = gg).

I am not sure it was the right call; rift is just so good from a tempo card. But that was my headspace at the time, I was just kinda bored of it and wanted to try playing differently.

I suspect that the shell of this deck would stay very close to the same; as cool as some of the red wizards are there's just really no shortage of great ones in blue.

I bet there are a gajillion Displacer Kitten combos now so that might be a thing to consider too. Kitten + almost any wizard (trinket mage, spellseeker, archaeomancer) is probably curtains.

Chromaticus

Micromancer also enables the double tutor victory if you make room for Imperial Seal. More likely I'm picking up Vampiric Tutor and Ertai's Meddling for protection, but hey!

Going to get my first run with the deck soon! Just sleeping it up tonight!

Chromaticus

3rd game in with the deck and finally figured out how to play non Phelddagrif control. I just kept mana up.

I played a couple wraths, a couple card draw spells, and tutored for the combo and won through counter backup to my opponents interaction on turn 8. The Intuition package i put together looked like a value pile, with Trophy Mage the card they gave me, over Archaeomancer and Timestream Navigator.

The most critical piece of understanding was that Ashnod's Altar just needed to resolve with the wizards I'd already played to give me all the mana I needed to go off.

Shoutout to the little hideaway wizard that could, Watcher for Tomorrow - impulsing on cast and leaving behind a better chump blocker than Solemn Simulacrum was clutch.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Yep you just keep mana up and play your lands. Kinda boring sometimes but good practice :)
Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
3rd game in with the deck and finally figured out how to play non Phelddagrif control. I just kept mana up.

I played a couple wraths, a couple card draw spells, and tutored for the combo and won through counter backup to my opponents interaction on turn 8. The Intuition package i put together looked like a value pile, with Trophy Mage the card they gave me, over Archaeomancer and Timestream Navigator.

The most critical piece of understanding was that Ashnod's Altar just needed to resolve with the wizards I'd already played to give me all the mana I needed to go off.

Shoutout to the little hideaway wizard that could, Watcher for Tomorrow - impulsing on cast and leaving behind a better chump blocker than Solemn Simulacrum was clutch.
If you've got your updated list anywhere let me know I'd love to check it out :) This was one of my favorite decks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”