Sidisi, Brood Tyrant - Zombie Horde and Shenanigans

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
"The best servants are made from those who died without a scratch." —Sidisi, khan of the Sultai

Table of Contents

Introduction

I've been a long time tinkering with playing a commander deck centered around the BUG wedge. However, none of the three that existed really tickled my fancy. I had a lot of ideas about graveyard recursion, self milling, drawing, discarding, and doing all of these things to opponents as well. However, I really couldn't do any of that fun stuff with Damia, The Mimeoplasm, or Vorosh. That is until Sidisi was spoiled. Finally, a commander that does so much in one motion! You mill yourself and may produce tokens while you're at it. This is very efficient, and suited my needs almost immediately. Thankfully enough, Khans of Tarkir also provided a lot of new cards that help with this mechanic. The first Ravnica block helps with dregde and the Odyssey block helps with graveyard play. I was finally beginning to see it all come together...

Now, searching the internet I saw some ideas here or there but unlike many other generals with solid strategies and player's attention, Sidisi was almost like a wallflower - flamboyant as she is. So I decided to be the first one to truly break her. To have a fun deck that could be competitive and not have anybody expect it to be. People see Narset, Enlightened Master, Sen Triplets, Child of Alara and cringe. The first reaction at the table being to take them out. However, people see Sidisi, Brood Tyrant and either expect something or don't know what to expect. The thing is, this deck, as predictable as an opponent may think it is, is really not. Many a time have I taken a victory out of nowhere. Then it's too late to react. Ruthlessness. Welcome to the Sultai.

Commander Analysis

"We appreciate the other clans maintaining their lands until such time as we can subjugate them. Their work will be rewarded when they are jewel-adorned servants in our palaces."
-Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
Why Play This Commander

At first this deck may seem all over the place, and for not being a deck that runs R, it's a bit on the chaotic side. This deck runs three (seemingly simultaneous) mechanics: drawing, discarding, dredging. Sidisi, Brood Tyrant's colors allow for a grand plethora of cards which use and abuse these mechanics. Allowing for great versatility, this deck can be piloted as beatdown, milling, or just all around graveyard/hand/library tomfoolery!

Thus, you'll enjoy playing with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant if you:
  • want a deck that is not too dependent on your general
  • like playing with your hand, library, and graveyard all at once
  • like being able to amass a huge army
  • like to play with non-linear strategies
  • like combo decks
However, you won't enjoy playing with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant if you:
  • like playing fatties
  • want a deck that's easy to pilot
  • want a less combo-oriented build
  • like giving ludicrous amounts of commander damage
  • don't like constantly shuffling a deck of commander size
Other Possible Commanders

Okay, so let's say you're on board with running a GUB EDH deck. Check. Now, why Sidisi, the Brood Tyrant and not one of the incredibly many (less than 10) similarly-colored Legendary Creatures that WotC has been gracious enough to design for us? Okay, that may have been brimming with a bit too much sarcasm. Who knows, maybe we'll get some more in a not too far away future. These commanders are great in their own setting with most of them having a lot of info out there discussing their virtues, deck techs, etc.
  • Damia, Sage of Stone has a totally different dynamic than Sidisi. Damia is a brutal card drawing engine but it really doesn't go with Sidisi's strategy of chaos / horde. Damia is more about control and having enough responses in your hands. A Damia deck loves having ramp, counters, tutors, and draw advantage cards in hand. Sidisi doesn't risk running counters or tutors because they'll more than likely get milled away. Sidisi also doesn't like drawing so many cards because most of the time you want those cards in graveyard in the first place since it's cheaper to reanimate them for free than hardcast them. Sidisi's second hand is the graveyard, unlike Damia whose hand is only your actual hand. Basically, Damia makes no zombie tokens, and only basically draws you up to a new hand each turn. You don't want to draw with this deck; you want to loot with it. Damia isn't even considered for one of the 99 due to her ability having nothing to do with the strategy of this deck.
  • The Mimeoplasm is a general that loves graveyard play. It can be pretty devastating when combined with milling. However, Sidisi is more focused on moving things in and out of the graveyard more than exiling things from it. The Mimeoplasm is very versatile and I even considered including it as one of the 99, but it really didn't fit the overall strategy of the build. It has no built-in mill, stax, or recursive abilities so it doesn't complement Sidisi.
  • Vorosh, the Hunter is all about casting it as fast as possible and killing as fast as possible with commander damage. Vorosh is more suited for voltron type strategies while using your hand and access to BUG in order to have many responses in hand and annoyances in play. Sidisi is not about a single creature entering the red zone but a horde of zombies going for all the brains.
  • Tasigur, the Golden Fang is a close second to what we want to accomplish (taking advantage of self-milling). Tasigur lends himself to be a very political general and the goal is not to amass some epic beatdown. Tasigur is more along the lines of control and recursion for spells more so than creatures whereas Sidisi wants to chock in as many creatures as possible. However, a Tasigur player basically wants to limit an opponent's options as to what recover from the graveyard. So it's more graveyard manipulation and spell recovery than it is reanimation or horde, which is what Sidisi is all about. However, after the smoke clears, Tasigur doesn't make any zombie tokens when milling; Sidisi does.
  • (GU + UB) or (BG + GU) Partners don't really have all that much to offer. Regardless of any combination between the present partner combinations to obtain the GUB wedge, they don't really interact with each other. I don't even consider them for the inclusion in the 99. Even if one were to go with the partner route, you'd have one less card in the rest of your deck.
  • Muldrotha, the Gravetide is an even better reanimation commander than The Mimeoplasm. However, this deck is not just about reanimation. This deck also aims to build a large army for offense and defense plus general recursion and reanimation hijinxes. Since Muldrotha does reanimate one type of permanent once per your turn, it is definitively added as one of the 99.
  • Yarok, the Desecrated is more for following a strategy similar to Brago, King Eternal or Roon of the Hidden Realm: enter-the-battlefield trigger abuse. A Panharmonicon on a body with relevant keywords like lifelink and deathtouch, Yarok goes the extra mile by also taking other permanents into consideration such as lands (for landfall and "landfall" abilities), enchantments, artifacts, etc. If the deck ran more cards with enter-the-battlefield abilities, Yarok would've gone straight into the deck.

Versus Other Commanders

Now, playing Sidisi, Brood Tyrant obviously has its pros and cons depending on what you're facing. I've been playing this deck for quite some time and have found that there are some clearly beneficial decks to go against and some clearly detrimental decks to go up against. Since I don't feel that it's that black and white since there are some grey areas, I will explain them all in greater detail. For a quick summary as to how your match-ups should go, see below.

How well this deck fares against other EDH archetypes:
Milling
Stax
Mid-range
Aggro
Control
Pillow Fort
Creature Hate
Combo
Graveyard Hate

* Milling: Milling actually does us a favor, lol. We want to be milled! Hell, we're constantly milling ourselves! Though uncommon, there are the occasional overachievers who want to win by milling 90+ card decks out there in the EDH world. Whenever you face off against these types of players, just be thankful. Do try to hide your giddiness when an opponent reveals his commander is Phenax, God of Deception. However, in order to prevent self-milling, the deck uses Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in order to recover the graveyard into the library. So we should always be careful, regardless the opponent, to never mill ourselves.

* Stax: Pretty commonplace depending on your meta. The most competitive and ruthless decks out there are total lock and stax. The good thing about stax is that even though it's keeping your horde in check by making you sacrifice so many tokens, you're still only sacrificing tokens until you can find the opportunity to remove that player from the game. The deck doesn't run so many answers against this type of deck but it does have them in the form of Cyclonic Rift and Nullmage Shepherd.

* Mid-range: Depending on the tempo, mid-range could be a pretty epic battle - these are the decks I prefer facing against. Sidisi could get a bit mid-range herself and when that happens it's literally "may the best planeswalker win" type situation. However, no fear should come from facing a mid-range deck since they usually get their wind in their sails mid-game onwards. By then, you should have the same advantage if not more. This is the more neutral type of menace so just play normally against it and try to always be one step ahead.

* Aggro: Depending on how the match goes, these players can be our natural enemies or natural friends. These types of decks hate control and lock players so they usually target them first. If that's the case, tagteam that natural nemesis out of the game and then proceed to see whose horde is superior. If you find yourself against an aggro player early on, the deck should be able to hold its own by popping out tokens as chump blockers until you can get your bearings and hopefully have a superior midgame board set up. This deck doesn't really have ways to amassing life so if you find yourself in the beeping, red-flashing heart-zone, be careful; don't waste resources and do your best to hold on until you're able to go for the game-ending alpha strike.

* Control: Not so much a hindrance so long as the counterspell doesn't exile - even then, Riftsweeper can get things back from exile. When a creature gets countered you can simply recast or reanimate from the graveyard no problem. If the creature gets topdecked even better! A lot of control players think twice before countering any creature you may cast since you can just recover it from the graveyard and they just lost the counter. However, having said that, control players will still be able to counter cards like Buried Alive, Victimize, Intuition, and the like, and that could really slow us down. If you have a control-rich meta, I suggest finding space for Boseiju, Who Shelters All.

* Pillow Fort: Could be annoying by preventing you from going all alpha strike with your horde. However, the same tools used to deal with stax (Cyclonic Rift and Nullmage Shepherd) could also be used to deal with pillowfort. These types of decks tend to force other players to fight each other first but your horde can be used on the defensive as well until you deal with the annoyance of the pillowfort. Also, other players may have their own answers to deal with pillow forts, so sometimes you may be able to save your own resources.

* Creature Hate: These situations are only a real bummer if you have the mother of all hordes out. However, losing your non-token creatures is never a big deal for this deck. There's more than enough ways to reanimate those creatures and most of the time you're storing them in your graveyard anyways. Whenever a player wraths, given enough mana, you can recover practically all your non-token creatures afterwards. If anyone were to wrath with Meren of Clan Nel Toth you'll have more than enough experience counters to get anyone back for free from the graveyard each upkeep. Sheoldred, Whispering One also does this and Havengul Lich can cast any creature directly from the graveyard. So, no worries!

* Combo: Like 99% of other decks, since this deck isn't Tier 1 or even Tier 0, it will fold to higher-tier more cutthroat combo decks that autowin before turn 4. That being said, this deck isn't battlecruiser and it does have its share of responses and disruption in the form of creatures. Granted, it's not chocked full of disruption but then again this deck is run by not paying too much attention to what other players are doing. That being said, the deck has access to blue. If combo is combo is a worry for you, you can swap out some self-milling spells to make space for free counterspells like Pact of Negation, Force of Negation, and Force of Will. This vastly improves your chances against combo. The deck does run Glen Elendra Archmage, Mystic Snake, and Frilled Mystic but that might not be enough for your meta.

* Graveyard Hate: The only real weakness to this deck is graveyard hate. Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void, Tormod's Crypt etc. can set us back in such a way that we may not even be able to recover from. At least there are some responses the deck has to deal with such situations (Entombing an Eldrazi titan in response is always good, Nullmage Shepherd to Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void, Riftsweeper can recover from exile even if it is just one card at a time). However, my rule of thumb is: that guy/chick who may exile your cards MUST DIE.

Deck History

As I mentioned earlier, once I saw Sidisi, Brood Tyrant spoiled I knew I had to build a deck with it. At first the deck was very janky but not in a good way. It was inefficient with what I wanted to do. It was a hodgepodge of self-mill and graveyard shenanigans but nothing useful. I ran cards that would only trigger at the beginning of the upkeep or end of turn but not a lot of activated abilities that self-milled. I was trickling cards into the graveyard and ran bad cards just because they had dredge. It was just terrible and I ended up cutting most of those cards. However, with testing and suggestions from many people I ironed out most of the kinks by running cards that didn't just self-mill but actually did something while self-milling. I also try to maintain a ratio of 1:3 for creature cards in order to maintain the probability of self-milling a creature with Sidisi's triggered ability.

With Sidisi's commander identity including all 3 of the best colors for commander, it was so daunting to test all the good cards for the deck. I've been so devoted to Sidisi, Brood Tyrant that I eventually wound up designing three different decks. The main deck is what I've been most dedicated to but the fruits of my testing has produced two other decks: an extremely budget one and a zombie tribal because, let's face it, people love amassing the mother of all zombie hordes. You'll find them discussed in that order throughout this guide.

Current Decklist

Here's the Main Build which is the current version I'm running and is the one I've been working on the most. It's intricate to pilot which makes it a lot of fun for people who like complicated decks. It's the one I'll been discussing and analyzing throughout this thread in detail. Thus. this is the version of the deck I will discuss most throughout this guide. Not withstanding, other viable versions are discussed in the Alternate Builds section.
By Type

Commander: 1

Approximate Total Cost:

By Function

Enchancing the Horde:

Approximate Total Cost:

Budget Decklist

Here's my less competitive, more casual, and über budget build. It's very fun to play in a casual pod. However, it's not a weakling either and can easily win in a casual setting without being too mean. This deck is designed under the impression that it will be in a setting with similar decks. Otherwise, don't use it, lol. If you're starting in commander or don't have that much of a budget and want a kooky, uncommon deck, then this is for you!
By Type

Approximate Total Cost:

By Function

Prevention of Self-Milling:

Pumping the Horde:

Toolbox:

Basic Lands:

Approximate Total Cost:

Although budget (I will try my best to keep this up to date in order to keep it well within Budget - the first time I build this budget list Cyclonic Rift was included in it :laugh: ) the list is pretty strong. One key budget combo within it is something I'm very proud of stumbling upon: the Narcomortuary of Dementia Engine. How does this incredibly broken engine work? Like so: sacrifice Narcomoeba to Altar of Dementia. That triggers Mortuary, which goes on the stack after the Altar of Dementia's ability and Narcomoeba's already in graveyard because it's sacrificed to pay for Altar of Dementia's activated ability. Mortuary resolves, sending Narcomoeba to the top of the deck. Altar of Dementia resolves, milling Narcomoeba, thus putting it back into play from the graveyard. This isn't an infinite loop, but you can make it go infinite if you want to. With Sidisi, Brood Tyrant in play you can essentially make infinitely many zombie tokens.

Card Choice Discussion

A commander deck has 100 cards. Out of which I will explain in greater detail the key interactions between some of the cards. In the mean time, here a list explaining every single card in the deck that is not a mana producing, non-utility land.

Artifacts
  • Altar of Dementia - Multipurpose artifact that can net you zombies or mill an opponent you can't defeat by beatdown. Also a major component of the Narcomortuary or Dementia combo, discussed in greater detail in the Budget Build section.
  • Embalmer's Tools - It's cheap to cast and provides some insane interactions. You could mill out an opponent or mill yourself at instant speed. The zombies made can then be tapped to continue milling yourself. This gets ridiculous when combined with Seedborn Muse and Mesmeric Orb. If you're milling out an opponent with Undead Alchemist you can keep pushing the mill thanks to the zombie tokens being created.
  • Mesmeric Orb - Another all-star in the deck. Used to massively mill opponents and yourself. Each instance is a separate trigger and Sidisi, Brood Tyrant loves that.
  • Sol Ring - Standard EDH mana rock.
  • Scroll Rack - makes sure that you always have creatures on the top of your deck all the while allowing for card advantage. This card does so many simultaneous things for this deck it's a must-have!
  • Thousand-Year Elixir - While not inherently giving your creatures haste, they can at least tap as though they did. Meaning your mana dorks can tap for mana the turn they come into play, creatures with tap abilities can be used the same turn like the untappers (Kiora's Follower, Krosan Restorer, etc.) plus creatures with great abilities like Whisper and Vannifar.

Creatures
  • Aphetto Alchemist - Along with Mesmeric Orb in play can go infinite. Still useful even in the absence of Mesmeric Orb as it can untap a mana rock or a utility creature (Hell's Caretaker, Krosan Restorer, Kiora's Follower, etc.).
  • Birds of Paradise - Arguably one of the greatest mana dorks of all time, a T1 birds really helps with mana fixing and early commander casting. Additionally, it's the only 1-drop creature in the deck, which is something that Vannifar cares about if you're gonna chain into larger creatures from a zombie token or Dryad Arbor.
  • Bloom Tender - At worst, this mana dork taps for G. At best, BUG. The good thing about being able to tap it for BUG is that an untapper like Kiora's Follower or Aphetto Alchemist can really net you a considerable amount of mana. Even if you cast this T2 with nothing else in play, it can still help you cast a T3 Sidisi.
  • Body Double - Treated like a reanimation spell on a body. If you have a key creature in your graveyard then Body Double can enter the battlefield as a copy of it. If Craterhoof Behemoth is such a creature, then Body Double can enter the battlefield as a copy of it and you still benefit from the enter the battlefield trigger.
  • Clever Impersonator - This card alone is a toolbox. You can basically copy any non-land permanent an opponent controls or anyone you own. It can become a planeswalker or copy your Doubling Season. I love doing that.
  • Craterhoof Behemoth - What is there left to say about Craterhoof Behemoth? If this enters play with even a semi-large horde and you just won the match.
  • Death Baron - Tribal pump; +1/+1 and deathtouch is no joke.
  • Diregraf Captain - Tribal pump and you could potentially kill an opponent when your zombies die.
  • Doom Whisperer - On it's own a 6/6 flying trampler for 3BB is no joke. Add to that fact by being able to surveil 2 for just 2 life is beyond amazing. As long as you have the life you can self-mill for days. Topdeck filtering plus zombie creation and graveyard filling is an amazing ability on a body.
  • Dryad Arbor - A land that's fetchable while providing a body for self-milling. It can be recovered and recurred in many different ways.
  • Eternal Witness - This card is a must in any EDH deck running G. What makes it epic in this build is getting Gempalm Polluter back into your hand.
  • Filth - A major component of the deck. This in the graveyard along with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play this makes all your creatures unblockable.
  • Frilled Mystic - A counterspell on a body is crucial in a deck like this. You want to keep the creature count as high as possible but you need answers. Although a bit more unconfortable to cast than Mystic Snake, it does the same thing at the same CMC.
  • The Gitrog Monster Can net you some cards if you sel-mill a land just as when you sacrifice a land. You have to sacrifice a land during your upkeep but its stats and deathtouch is nothing to scoff at, either. You're also able to play an additional land which goes great with Life from the Loam.
  • Glen Elendra Archmage - Replaced Jace, Memory Adept since he just wasn't cutting it. Only self-milling for 10 a turn isn't really doing much. The faerie, however, can help deal with an unwanted board wipe, overloaded Cyclonic Rift, or any of the various non-creature spells that can exile my graveyard. Best swap I've made yet.
  • Gurmag Drowner - A creature replacement for Forbidden Alchemy. Slowly but surely I'm trying to keep this deck as creature-heavy as possible and this guy really helps achieve that.
  • Havengul Lich - This card is too broken for words. You can cast creatures from your graveyard, also known as your second hand, and it will obtain the activated ability of whatever you cast. Casting Krosan Restorer, Kiora's Follower, etc. has helped me get that extra boost needed many times.
  • Kiora's Follower - Very useful tool in the toolbox. It can untap creatures like Krosan Restorer or Hell's Caretaker and it can untap lands like Gaea's Cradle and Cabal Coffers.
  • Kozilek, Butcher of Truth - Was in the original version along with Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Gaea's Blessing. However, having all three in the deck was more of a hindrance than helpful. So I took this one out. I should've taken out Gaea's Blessing for not being a creature and only being useful when milled. Kozilek, Butcher of Truth just like Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, can be Entombed, sacrificed, or discarded to protect your graveyard.
  • Krosan Restorer - I love this card. During games I have constantly untapped Gaea's Cradle, Cabal Coffers, and Deserted Temple.
  • Lazav, the Multifarious - What an amazing card! For a casting cost of just UB not only does it surveil when it enters the battlefield, but it can also copy any creature card in the graveyard for X. It's ridiculous! It's practically reanimation at instant speed!
  • Muldrotha, the Gravetide - I could cast play any card type from my graveyard during my turn. So if I need to cast a planeswalker, instant, sorcery, etc. directly from my graveyard I'll be able to. Having Muldrotha means not worrying too much about recurring noncreature spells - especially since Muldrotha is a creature, the card type this deck excels at recurring.
  • Mystic Snake - Similar in function to Frilled Mystic, this deck needs answers but it also needs bodies. This creature checks both boxes.
  • Nullmage Shepherd - This card is too useful for protecting against the only weakness of the deck: graveyard hate. This card helps destroy Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, etc. Even then, it can also get rid of those pesky pillow forts that can somehow be a problem.
  • Prime Speaker Vannifar - Where to even begin... This is Birthing Pod on a body. B-Pod chains aren't that difficult to accomplish in this deck and without much effort you could essentially chain from a zombie token into Craterhoof Behemoth in the same turn. Not only that, but you could also chain into key creatures like Eternal Witness or Riftsweeper. She suffers from the same timing restrictions as Birthing Pod, but the versatility is still there. So much so that without much alterations, she could easily be the secret commander of the deck or at the very least a partner not in the command zone.
  • Protean Hulk - A card I've taken out and put back in a dozen times. However, with the inclusion of Prime Speaker Vannifar, it's gonna stay in the deck. Additionally, running Whisper, Blood Liturgist and other sacrifice outlets makes it easier to work with. Also, more low-costed creatures have been added that can make it worthwhile to include.
  • Razaketh, the Foulblooded - Another tutor on a body. Although dissimilar to Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Rune-Scarred Demon since its ability isn't triggered when it enters the battlefield, it is easier to control since it's an activated ability. Sacrifice a creature you want to recur later on or a zombie token and get access to any card in your deck. Amazing!
  • Riftsweeper - In case important pieces do get exiled, this is very important to recover them.
  • Rune-Scarred Demon - A Demonic Tutor on a fat flyer, this will trigger Sidisi when self-milled but when entering play will help me tutor for anything. Just as clutch as Sidisi, Undead Vizier.
  • The Scarab God|Hour of Devastation - It not only functions as a possible wincon, but it's pretty much unkillable. Also, the Zombie Build mills opponents as well with Undead Alchemist. The means that you can also exile creatures from opponents' graveyards to "copy" them as zombies, no less! This is definitely an amazing card.
  • Seedborn Muse - This card is extremely useful. With Mesmeric Orb in play, you can tap all your lands during each turn and then at the beginning of each next turn, each one triggers Mesmeric Orb. Not only that, but you can attack to your heart's delight because you can then have untapped blockers for your opponents' turns.
  • Sidisi, Undead Vizier - A tutor on a body that also provides a sac outlet. Pretty self-explanatory.
  • Turntimber Sower - Similar to The Gitrog Monster's trigger, you get a chump blocker for your effort. However, the real deal-sealer for this creature is its ability to trade creatures for lands. Using that ability before an epic Living Death is one of the reasons why this creature made it so quickly into the deck.
  • Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre - Just as with Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Ulamog prevents self-milling and also potentially protects your graveyard at instant speed. Too important to the deck.
  • Underrealm Lich - Similar to Taigam, Sidisi's Hand but better. It has the same converted mana cost, you don't lose your draw, you can still trigger self-milling effects, and it can become an indestructible chump blocker in case of emergencies. Oh, and it's also a zombie.
  • Voyaging Satyr - For just 1G it's a great way to get mana acceleration early game and a great way to untap Gaea's Cradle and its ilk as well as utility lands.
  • Whisper, Blood Liturgist - Recursion and sac outlet all in one. It puts a creature directly into play from the graveyard. The ability can be repeated with creature untappers in play.
  • World Shaper - This creature has Sidisi, Brood Tyrant's ability and Splendid Reclamation all on the same body. Attack to self-mill and if it dies you recover all your lands. This also works as a deterrent for your opponents wanting to block it. Additionally, you can simply sacrifice it and recover your lands.

Enchantments
  • Intruder Alarm - Added more so to complement Prime Speaker Vannifar, it still synergizes pretty well with the deck. Combined with cards like Embalmer's Tools allows you to tap zombies until you self-mill a creature. With Sidisi in play you get a zombie token which will untap all of your other creatures. This includes mana dorks and utility creatures that tap. If you're untapping lands with Kiora's Follower or Krosan Restorer then things can get out of hand pretty easily.
  • Mortuary - Love this card. Where some see a hindrance because it may "deny" you turns and drawing, I see a way to get creatures on the top of your library, where Sidisi loves having them. It's also the third component of the Narcomortuary of Dementia combo.
  • Opposition - When all else fails, you can use this along with your zombies (or other creatures) to tap out the board and swing unopposed (thus the name of the card, I think? lol).
  • Path of Discover - The amount of interactions with this card is bonkers. The creature pump with the +1/+1 counter isn't even that relevant. It just synergizes so well with the deck. A zombie token that explores a creature from the top of the deck can create another zombie token with Sidisi in play and you could potentially continue chaining this process.

Spells
  • Assassin's Trophy - Although not on a body, the usefulness of this card can't go unnoticed. It gets rid of any problematic permanent at instant speed. It suffers from being an instant, which isn't easily recurrable with the deck, but with Eternal Witness you can recover it (or shuffling it into the library with an Eldrazi titan and then tutoring for it with Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Rune-Scarred Demon, or Razaketh, the Fouldblooded.
  • Bond of Insight - Self-mills for 4 and is able to recover up to two instant and/or sorcery cards from the graveyard which are the hardest cards to recur in the deck.
  • Buried Alive - A triple Entomb at sorcery speed. Favorite targets? Filth and anything else you'd need reanimating.
  • Cyclonic Rift - This card was broken in standard and is even more so in multiplayer EDH. This card helps clear the field for your horde for a mere 6U.
  • Entomb - Tutors directly to your graveyard - at instant speed. This card is amazing at protecting your graveyard as well. In response to having it exiled, just cast this and search for either Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre.
  • Fact or Fiction - considered one of the most broken cards when it came out, here it's even more broken. Regardless of what happens, it's going to be in your favor since your graveyard is an extension of your hand. And if creatures are in the pile that goes to the graveyard, it still triggers Sidisi. Love this card.
  • Final Parting - Similar to Jarad's Orders except that you can choose any two cards. This means that this card alone enables the Filth + Urborg combo. Just send Filth to the graveyard and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to your hand.
  • Intuition - You can never go wrong with what you choose with Intuition. Your opponents will learn to hate this card. It basically becomes a Gifts Ungiven. What I love choosing with this: Filth, Genesis, and Life from the Loam. Win/win/win.
  • Jarad's Orders - Another broken card in this deck. Tutor a creature for your hand and then tutor one for the graveyard. You guessed it, I love tutoring for Filth. The ideal choices for Jarad's Orders are Filth to go the graveyard and Sidisi, Undead Vizier to go to your hand. Then you can just use Sidisi, Undead Vizier to fetch for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and you're set!
  • Life from the Loam - One of the best cards in the deck. Self-mills and you recover any lands in your graveyard. I love this card. every time I draw it or it's milled I can't contain my glee.
  • Living Death - This card is amazing but be careful when casting. It basically trades creatures in play for those in the graveyard. However, when used at appropriate situations it's glorious. I don't use it all the time because an opponent can discard an epic creature in response, but it's still a good card to run.
  • Voidslime - As with Assassin's Trophy, the deck needs answers. The deck runs a couple of counterspells on a stick but they aren't enough if an opponent drops a Bojuka Bog. Granted, this is probably the only card in the deck that can deal with a Bojuka Bog trigger, but it can also help against planeswalkers going ultimate, actually countering a spell like Rest in Peace, dealing with the activation of Scavenger Grounds, etc.

Planeswalkers
  • Kiora, Master of the Depths - Loved this card since the moment it was spoiled. It proved to be even more broken in practice than in theory. <+1> and I untap a creature and a land. <-2> and it's a self-mill where I can choose to keep a land and/or creature for my hand instead. <-8> and I get a broken emblem; all my zombies become bombs.
  • Liliana, Death's Majesty - All three abilities are pertinent. The first one self-mills and gives you a zombie token, the second one reanimates, and her ultimate more likely than not hurts opponents way more than us.
  • Tamiyo, Collector of Tales - The static ability is nice but not that necessary in this deck. The other abilities are great and very synergistic with Sidisi, though. You can try and mise through the first 4 cards and if all else you're gonna self-mill them. The \-3/ ability is Regrowth, which is great in this deck because you could recover an instant or sorcery to your hand (since all other permanents are easier to recover from the graveyard).

Lands

Deck Philosophy

The main point of the deck is to have fun. The deck is very intricate and I've designed it so that all of its parts are as synergistic as possible. This is a double-edged sword though since it's incredibly difficult to make cuts in the deck in order to add new cards that can further enhance it. Whenever possible I will try to update the decklists with any new cards that I've tested and found to be worth a slot.

Deck Strategy

The main strategy of the deck is to try and get as many 2/2 Zombie creature tokens in play and go for the horde approach. All the drawing and the milling and discarding is done in order to speed up the deck and get the army as pumped up as possible. This is accomplished by getting Filth in the graveyard and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play. This feat pretty much makes your horde unblockable and is very easy to accomplish (Final Parting accomplishes this feat on its own). There are many quasi-infinitely recurring engines that allows you to amass a brutal horde to take out all opponents at once. This is the main strategy for all versions of the deck I discuss this guide.
The overall synergy of the deck is to make no wasted movements. If you're milling, it shouldn't just be for producing 2/2 black Zombie tokens. It should be to get great targets in your graveyard for recursion or to abuse cards like Vengeful Pharaoh and Filth. With this deck the graveyard should serve as a second hand. Getting those milled creatures into play is easy with cards like Living Death, Havengul Lich, etc.

One thing I'd like to once more point out (as previously mentioned) is Prime Speaker Vannifar. Though not a main player in the deck, if you're able to get her online, the deck becomes even more dangerous. You can use Prime Speaker Vannifar to Birthing Pod chain all the way into Craterhoof Behemoth. Even without Intruder Alarm in play you can untap Vannifar using many cards like Kiora's Follower, Aphetto Alchemist, Minamo, School at Water's Edge, etc. And even then, assuming you can't get huge chains, she's still useful to eventually cheat utility creatures into play from the deck. In that sense she's on par with Razaketh, the Foulblooded.

Mulligans

You want anywhere between 3-4 lands in order to play Sidisi as quickly as possible. As soon as you can start milling and amassing tokens the better you will be. You will have a menacing board presence, but if you're playing in a competitive setting you won't be the only one. You also want some cheap utility creatures you can play in order to attract removal from players who like wasting removal early game against things that aren't as deadly as mid-game creatures. Another thing, there are cards you do not want in your opening hand. If you draw Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, mulligan those away because one of their main uses it to prevent milling yourself. They like to be inside of the library. Keep anything you can use to self-mill in order to make early tokens after Sidisi is cast the first time. Also, try to keep you hand as light as possible; those fatties are usually reanimated for free from the graveyard anyways. Personally, my EDH philosophy is not so much what to want in your starting hand more than what to not want. Honestly, as long as you're able to cast stuff without mana screw or color screw you should be fine. I don't want people to ceaselessly mulligan away searching for "critical" pieces. This deck burns through your library so you're bound to get them. An idea of what to keep in your hand are cheap spells somewhere in the vein of Sol Ring, Aphetto Alchemist, Kiora's Follower, Krosan Restorer, Satyr Wayfinder, Voyaging Satyr, and other similar cheap spells that can be used right away. Again, just mulligan away any fatties and make sure your hand has enough lands or ways to cast Sidisi.

Early Game Strategy

You want to try and get Sidisi out as quickly as possible in order to capitalize on her token producing ability. It's quite the bummer to cast cards that mill through top cards to get choice cards without having Sidisi in play. So after she's in play, you're able to use Buried Alive, Intuition, Fact or Fiction, etc. much more efficiently than simply casting them. Given their amount and the laws of probability, you'll more than likely have some mana acceleration cards, cheap utility creatures, and ways to enhance your horde. This stage of building your field is just dropping cheap cards until mid-game can happen. Remember also that by now, you should be able to determine the strategies of most of your opponents so whoever you see that has an anti-graveyard agenda has got to go. If anything, start building your strategy to getting those key components needed to eventually deal with those anti-graveyard spells and permanents. So start digging for Nullmage Shepherd, Riftsweeper, Cyclonic Rift, Glen Elendra Archmage, etc. Again, make sure the person running possible graveyard hate is eliminated first. Graveyard hate can come from many colors so don't fret simply because of the opponent. Keep in mind though that graveyard hate exists primarily in B and W (though there are cards in other colors and colorless as well like Relic of Progenitus and Scavenger Grounds).

Mid-Game Strategy

This deck aims to be as quick as possible so if you're lucky you may reach mid game by turn 5-7. This is the most important phase of the deck since the deck requires a lot of mana. Things you should be aiming to get in your graveyard by this time: Filth. Things you want to have in play by this time: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. This should be easy to accomplish with all the milling and recursion going around. Filth is the #1 Buried Alive target (and any "tutor" that sends to graveyard like Intuition, Jarad's Orders, etc.). Another thing to note about having a large graveyard by this point is forgetting you have Vengeful Pharaoh there. Don't! Opponents surely do when they go for an attack. Always keep him in mind. You can also tutor for these pieces with Final Parting, Intuition, Rune-Scarred Demon, or Sidisi, Undead Vizier. The best thing you can have in play is Mesmeric Orb. Be aware as this can make you an instant target. It seriously hurts all opponents and really helps you. This is the most important phase of the deck since you should've been burning through a lot of your deck by now in order to obtain these cards. If you haven't gotten them by then, don't worry, as you can still chump block or have other cards that could be useful. If other cards or combo pieces have been destroyed or exiled, remember that there are still ways to recover them such as Riftsweeper, Havengul Lich, Eternal Witness, etc.

Late-Game

Very viable by turn 10. You should have an army of tokens and/or utility creatures in play. All of them unblockable thanks to Filth+Urborg#2 combo. You can easily take out 1-2 players with an unblockable horde and/or other methods. A wave of unblockables usually takes out one player in one instance. However, with Craterhoof Behemoth and the zombie lords, you should be able to clear house in one fell swoop. You can also take out another opponent by milling him/her. Many a time have I attacked one player with all creatures and then sacrificed them to Altar of Dementia to deck another player.

End-Game

There are many decks that can win by turns 2-3 (even decks that win turn 0). Unfortunately, this isn't one of those decks. Fortunately, the deck is very unassuming and people don't really know what you're ultimately doing until it's too late. The deck has a lot of other tricks up its sleeve that helps get the job done. This is also a deck for those that don't mind games that last between 1-2 hours. When left unchecked, I'm usually able to win before the hour mark. However, in games with decks in the same neighborhood of level, games have lasted between 1-2 hours. If your meta is very strong, you'll possibly be ignored until other more problematic players are gone. If you're the strongest deck at the table, be very prepared to defend yourself and have a very exciting uphill battle!

Just remember that the game is basically over the moment you have the Filth+Urborg combo, you amassed a major horde with self-milling or other zombie generation due to the looting, Mesmeric Orb, or other ways. The whole point is to burn through the deck in order to get one of the wincons. The most consistent wincon is alpha strike with a bunch of zombies. Again, beware the graveyard hate player.

Credit & Thanks

I have various people to thank for this guide being the way it is. Most of them are from MTGSalvation and Cockatrice. In no particular order:
  • Gareth_Trent: recommending Gaea's Blessing and the Eldrazi Titans to avoid decking myself.
  • Naugh-Tay: recommending the cards that would eventually compose the Mesmeric Orb Suite.
  • Draznar: recommending some key cards like Sudden Reclamation, Deadbridge Chant, and others.
  • Jaxs334: recommending some key cards like Dowsing Shaman (used in budget version) and Hell's Caretaker.
  • PenguinPete: inspiring taking advantage of my creatures dying to hinder opponents.
  • Ghaespar: helping to inspire the budget build.
  • Jayron and AshrielX: inspiring me to make alternate versions of the budget version.
  • Gren08: interaction between Gravecrawler and Phyrexian Altar.
  • osieorb18: guiding me on making the guide more legit.
  • darrenhabib: helping me incorporate Prime Speaker Vannifar in the deck.
  • Feyd_Ruin: helping me with formatting this guide.
  • benjameenbear: the primer template I literally just copy/pasted to make this one.
  • all the Cockatrice players who've been making suggestions and observations ever since I've been playing this deck online way back since the beginning of its conception (particularly users 359763432 and Gidix).
  • The MTGSalvation EDH Primer Committee for both helping me shape this into the guide it is, with formatting, etc. For anyone interested in seeing that version of this guide, follow this link.
  • And all of you reading for your interest, curiosity, suggestions, and attention!
Please let me know of any errors, typos, etc.! I want to keep this very presentable!

Change Log

I will try and keep a record of all the major changes to the guide in this section. Not every change to the deck will be recorded. For example, swapping a couple of cards might not be recorded unless they considerably change the strategy or synergy in the deck.
9/12/2014
Show
Hide
Original, horrible version
10/31/14
Show
Hide
Almost total change from what I was previously doing with the deck to what it is now. It went from being what is described in the alternate build to what is being described in this thread. The way that deck worked was with looters and dredge. What would happen is, when you'd draw, you'd dredge. Then, when you had to discard, you'd simple discard what you just dredged. For example:
Activate Merfolk Looter. Instead of drawing, use Golgari Grave-Troll's dredge ability, getting you some self-mill. Then, when you had to discard, you just discarded Golgari Grave-Troll. It seemed amazing in theory but ended up being slow in practice. Trust me, I tried to make that concept work and ended up eliminating all the looters and all the dredgers except for Life from the Loam.
11/7/2014
Show
Hide

The cards removed were due to them performing inefficiently. The looters were all used in order to take advantage of dredge. Draw but instead of getting a card, you would dredge. And then, when you had to discard something, you'd discard the card with dredge. It sounded good on paper but wasn't performing as well as it should've. It was no where near as polished and I wanted. It was klanky and not in a good way.
Also, the cards that milled too many cards were removed because the graveyard would constantly get shuffled back into the deck, providing no usefulness whatsoever. Mirror-Mad Phantasm was more trouble than it was worth.
The cards for drawing massive amounts of lands were also a hindrance. I would've rather had most of those cards in the graveyard than in my hand. Also, drawing cards doesn't trigger Sidisi.
Specifically,
  • Immobilizing Ink was a discard outlet and untapper all in one. However, it was too slow and klanky.
  • Stitcher Geralf self milled, exiled creatures from graveyards, and put a very large zombie in play. However, also proved to be too slow.
  • Sultai Ascendancy was too slow and inneficient at self-milling and now other purpose besides self-milling.
  • Millikan, Deranged Assistant, and Charmed Pendant were self-millers that provided mana but ended up underperforming.
  • Mirror-Mad Phantasm milled too many cards and would constantly get the Eldrazi titans in my graveyard and would recover the graveyard when I didn't want it to. It was more trouble than what it's worth.
  • Unfulfilled Desires, Merfolk Looter, Magus of the Bazaar, and Enclave Cryptologist were part of a draw/discard/dredge system that underperformed. It was too klanky.
  • Notion Theif, Mind Unbound, and Psychic Vortex made me draw too many cards. The deck's not about drawing cards. I want to trigger Sidisi and get cards in my graveyard. They weren't cutting it.
  • Liliana Vess was a good planeswalker because it provided a discard outlet, tutoring, and could reanimate all graveyards. However, I don't want to reanimate everything - especially not Filth or Genesis.
12/1/2014
Show
Hide

10/4/15
Show
Hide
  • Swapped out Garruk Relentless for Kiora, Master of the Depths. This version of Garruk was underperforming and the new Kiora was too broken to not include; she was made for this deck.
  • Complete overhaul of the original post.
  • Gave more importance to the competitive (main) build.
10/11/15
Show
Hide
Removed the "Casual" Build for costing almost as much as the Competitive Build. Honestly, if one had the budget, why build the Casual version? Therefore, the Casual Build was scratched for a truly Casual Build which is also built on budget. So far, the 3 versions of the deck are Competitive, Budget, and Tribal (which isn't that budget but still cheaper than the Competitive Build).
10/17/15
Show
Hide
Swapped out Gaea's Blessing for Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. I made some recent changes in order to get the creature count back to 32 which, if probability follows, should net you a zombie with each self mill. Kozilek, Butcher of Truth also has the added benefit of being discarded and having the effect whereas Gaea's Blessing can only do its intended effect only if it's in the library. So I was basically keeping a non-creature spell that only did one thing.
Other Changes
Approximate Total Cost:

It's not so much that the removed cards were underperforming more than me wanting to up the creature count. I'm pretty comfortable with these changes and the self-milling has been more consistent thanks to it. Gurmag Drowner effectively replaces Forbidden Alchemy, the same holds true for Kozilek, Butcher of Truth with Gaea's Blessing and Butcher of Malakir with Dictate of Erebos. Golgari Grave-Troll was what remained of the original, inefficient dredge+looter concept so swapping it out for Hell's Caretaker was a natural thing. Narcomoeba turned out to be so broken in the casual build that I just had to find a slot for it in the competitive build.
10/30/15
Show
Hide
Added more details to the Zombie Tribal.
Some changes to the Zombie Tribal:
Changes
Approximate Total Cost:

These changes were made because the deck uses other methods of self-mill so I could go without Fact or Fiction and Mulch. Obelisk of Urd was too costly for what it does and Vengeful Dead is redundancy for Diregraf Captain's ability. Rogue's Passage allows me to attack worry-free with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant.
Gravecrawler was added along with Phyrexian Altar because together they provide an infinite sacrifice engine which can be used to trigger so many other cards; they warranted inclusion. That, and they're also both pretty useful on their own, with Gravecrawler being constantly cast from the graveyard for a mere B and Phyrexian Altar providing lots of colored mana when needed.
Looking at the deck, I could've sworn Craterhoof Behemoth was in the Zombie Tribal build - it wasn't. So I swapped out Thunderfoot Baloth for it.
Also, added a bit more detail to the Zombie Build.

As for the other builds:
Glen Elendra Archmage has replaced Jace, Memory Adept in the main build. Jace just wasn't cutting it when compared to the other planeswalkers and Glen Elendra Archmage provides some much needed control to the deck all the while being recurred. Also in the main build, I gave some budget replacements that could potentially bring the price down to ~$500.
Updated the Budget Build with variants reaching up to $100.
11/16/15
Show
Hide
Finally made the swap official and final: Scroll Rack replaces Bazaar of Baghdad. The deck isn't as full reanimator as Bazaar of Baghdad would warrant inclusion for. That land's much better suited for commanders like Teneb, the Harvester, The Mimeoplasm, Sheoldred, Whispering One, etc. I've always wanted to add Scroll Rack and was finally able to. This also cuts the budget down considerably.

As for the Zombie Tribal build, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest has been so amazing that I decided to build a commander with it. I replaced Grave Titan with it and have regretted nothing. With the Phyrexian Altar / Gravecrawler combo I can get infinitely many +1/+1 counters on my creatures. That's just epic. Even without indefinitely occurring sacrifices, I usually just sacrifice all the zombies that can't attack and go for the epic alpha strike. Mazirek has really been awesome, trust me. Super broken!
11/29/15
Show
Hide
Some general aesthetic changes to the OP:
  • indexing the sections
  • entering in greater detail in the piloting sections
  • providing a summarized analysis of Sidisi's pros & cons against other decks
  • provided links to deckstats.net so players can see updated cardlists, stats, and prices
1/23/16
Show
Hide
Some general changes in all three builds:
Competitive Build:
- Prophet of Kruphix
+ Seedborn Muse

The reason for most of these changes was due to the very recent (1/18/16) banning of Prophet of Kruphix. As I'm writing this, Seedborn Muse's price almost tripled from the $12 it used to be. I guessed as much. R.I.P. Prophet of Kruphix.
5/20/16
Show
Hide
Some general changes I've made that have been discussed so far in the thread which have become permanent (for the moment):
Zombie Build
Approximate Total Cost:

4/28/2017
Show
Hide
Some general changes that I made thanks to Protean Hulk getting unbanned on 4/24/2017. It obviously found its way in each of the non-budget builds.
Main Build
Approximate Total Cost:

Zombie Build
Approximate Total Cost:

Budget Build
Approximate Total Cost:

1/12/2019
Show
Hide
Added Prime Speaker Vannifar and some cards that synergize well with her as well as on their own and with other cards in the deck. She allows some crazy plays within the deck and she serves as a sort of lieutenant in the deck being able to tutor for key creatures (both into play as well as the graveyard).
latest changes to the Main Build
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by DementedKirby 4 years ago, edited 32 times in total.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

Tags:

DementedKirby

Alternate Build - Zombie Tribal

Table of Contents

Current Decklist
By Type

Approximate Total Cost:

By Type
Approximate Total Cost:

Card Choice Discussion

Artifacts
  • Altar of Dementia - Multipurpose artifact that can net you zombies or mill an opponent you can't defeat by beatdown. Also a major component of the Narcomortuary or Dementia combo, discussed in greater detail in the Budget Build section.
  • Coat of Arms - This is a very dangerous card in a token tribal aggro deck. This deck isn't entirely aggro but when you have 10+ zombies on the battlefield things can get pretty crazy. Obviously, this card shouldn't be used if an opponent also has a tribal deck.
  • Embalmer's Tools - It's cheap to cast and provides some insane interactions. You could mill out an opponent or mill yourself at instant speed. The zombies made can then be tapped to continue milling yourself. This gets ridiculous when combined with Seedborn Muse and Mesmeric Orb. If you're milling out an opponent with Undead Alchemist you can keep pushing the mill thanks to the zombie tokens being created.
  • Mesmeric Orb - Another all-star in the deck. Used to massively mill opponents and yourself. Each instance is a separate trigger and Sidisi, Brood Tyrant loves that.
  • Phyrexian Altar - Not only does this permit zombie tokens to be exchanged for mana of any color but it allows Gravecrawler to go infinite.
  • Sol Ring - Standard EDH mana rock.

Creatures
  • Clever Impersonator - This card alone is a toolbox. You can basically copy any non-land permanent an opponent controls or anyone you own. It can become a planeswalker or copy your Doubling Season. I love doing that.
  • Corpse Harvester - Tutors for most of the key creatures in the deck since these are zombies. The deck also runs swamps in many shapes and forms so this can also help with mana fixing at the same time.
  • Craterhoof Behemoth - What is there left to say about Craterhoof Behemoth? If this enters play with even a semi-large horde and you just won the match.
  • Cryptbreaker - A discard outlet and a draw engine all on a zombie that just costs B.
  • Death Baron - Tribal pump; +1/+1 and deathtouch is no joke.
  • Diregraf Captain - Tribal pump and you could potentially kill an opponent when your zombies die.
  • Dryad Arbor - A land that's fetchable while providing a body for self-milling. It can be recovered and recurred in many different ways.
  • Elvish Reclaimer - A creature that functions as a mix between Expedition Map and Crop Rotation which is a great way to potentially get Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and other utility lands into play from the library. Also, with all the self-milling it has the potential to become huge.
  • Eternal Witness - This card is a must in any EDH deck running G. What makes it epic in this build is getting Gempalm Polluter back into your hand.
  • Fatestitcher - An overcosted Kiora's Follower but it's a zombie and it can be unearthed in a pinch.
  • Filth - A major component of the deck. This in the graveyard along with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play this makes all your creatures unblockable.
  • Gempalm Polluter - An alternate wincon of the deck. It can be easily reused in order to take out on player or even the entire table.
  • Gravecrawler - Sacrifice fodder that can also be reanimated fairly easily since the deck is chocked full of zombies plus it makes tons of zombie tokens. Goes infinite with Phyrexian Altar.
  • Gravespawn Sovereign - It costs 4BB but it can be reanimated fairly easily and with all the mana production it can still be hardcast without too much effort. Its ability bypasses summoning sickness and it can reanimate creatures practically for free - from any graveyard.
  • Grimgrin, Corpse-Born - A 5/5 for 3UB that can destroy a creature before blockers can even be declared. It also gets huge. Oh, and it's a free sac outlet as well.
  • Havengul Lich - This card is too broken for words. You can cast creatures from your graveyard, also known as your second hand, and it will obtain the activated ability of whatever you cast. Casting Krosan Restorer, Kiora's Follower, etc. has helped me get that extra boost needed many times.
  • Kiora's Follower - Very useful tool in the toolbox. It can untap creatures like Krosan Restorer or Hell's Caretaker and it can untap lands like Gaea's Cradle and Cabal Coffers.
  • Kozilek, Butcher of Truth - Was in the original version along with Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Gaea's Blessing. However, having all three in the deck was more of a hindrance than helpful. So I took this one out. I should've taken out Gaea's Blessing for not being a creature and only being useful when milled. Kozilek, Butcher of Truth just like Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, can be Entombed, sacrificed, or discarded to protect your graveyard.
  • Krosan Restorer - I love this card. During games I have constantly untapped Gaea's Cradle, Cabal Coffers, and Deserted Temple.
  • Lich Lord of Unx - Another alternate wincon along the same vein as cycling Gempalm Polluter. It can also make a zombie token in a pinch.
  • Lord of the Accursed - Gives zombies a static boon of +1/+1 but it also gives them relevant evasion for cheap.
  • Lord of the Undead - Gives zombies a static boon of +1/+1 and it can also return a zombie from your graveyard to your hand. This pairs well with Gempalm Polluter in order to cycle it multiple times a turn.
  • Muldrotha, the Gravetide - I could cast play any card type from my graveyard during my turn. So if I need to cast a planeswalker, instant, sorcery, etc. directly from my graveyard I'll be able to. Having Muldrotha means not worrying too much about recurring noncreature spells - especially since Muldrotha is a creature, the card type this deck excels at recurring.
  • Noxious Ghoul - A potential conditional indestructible-bypassing boardwipe if you're able to generate enough zombies in a single turn.
  • Phyrexian Delver - A zombie that reanimates for free at the mere cost of life. It's basically 2 bodies for 3BB and one of them potentially being Craterhoof Behemoth or any other haymaker creature or key creature.
  • Plague Belcher - A Blood Artist that doesn't gain you life and it's dependent on a zombie dying. But that's not a big deal in the deck because it's a 5/4 zombie for 2B.
  • Riftsweeper - In case important pieces do get exiled, this is very important to recover them.
  • Rot Hulk - It's pretty expensive at 5BB but it's a 5/5 zombie with menace with the potential of reanimating 3 zombie cards for free from your graveyard. If one of those zombies is Phyrexian Delver then you can reanimate yet another creature.
  • Seedborn Muse - This card is extremely useful. With Mesmeric Orb in play, you can tap all your lands during each turn and then at the beginning of each next turn, each one triggers Mesmeric Orb. Not only that, but you can attack to your heart's delight because you can then have untapped blockers for your opponents' turns.
  • Sidisi, Undead Vizier - A tutor on a body that also provides a sac outlet. Pretty self-explanatory.
  • The Scarab God|Hour of Devastation - It not only functions as a possible wincon, but it's pretty much unkillable. Also, the Zombie Build mills opponents as well with Undead Alchemist. The means that you can also exile creatures from opponents' graveyards to "copy" them as zombies, no less! This is definitely an amazing card.
  • Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre - Just as with Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Ulamog prevents self-milling and also potentially protects your graveyard at instant speed. Too important to the deck.
  • Undead Alchemist - You could use this zombie if you want to win by milling (which is longer than winning by combat damage). However, doing so means that you can exile creatures in order to make even more zombies. Combine that with Altar of Dementia and milling could be a potential alternate wincon. That being said, if a better card for the deck comes along, this would be the first to get the axe.
  • Undead Warchief - A great lord for the deck because it makes zombies cost less and gives them a static boon of +2/+1 which it also gives to itself. Meaning that it's really a 3/2 for 2BB.
  • Underrealm Lich - Similar to Taigam, Sidisi's Hand but better. It has the same converted mana cost, you don't lose your draw, you can still trigger self-milling effects, and it can become an indestructible chump blocker in case of emergencies. Oh, and it's also a zombie.
  • Vengeful Dead - A Blood Artist that doesn't gain you life and it's dependent on a zombie dying. But that's not a big deal in the deck because it's a 3/2 zombie for 3B.
  • Vengeful Pharaoh - A 5/4 with deathtouch for 2BBB is hard to cast but is a great deterrent against attack not only in play but in the graveyard as well. As the game progresses opponents forget it's in your graveyard. It's important you don't forget that either, since it can kill a creature that gave you combat damage and it gets sent to the top of your deck as well, easily giving you another creature to mill to make zombies.
  • Whisper, Blood Liturgist - Recursion and sac outlet all in one. It puts a creature directly into play from the graveyard. The ability can be repeated with creature untappers in play.
  • World Shaper - This creature has Sidisi, Brood Tyrant's ability and Splendid Reclamation all on the same body. Attack to self-mill and if it dies you recover all your lands. This also works as a deterrent for your opponents wanting to block it. Additionally, you can simply sacrifice it and recover your lands.

Enchantments
  • Arcane Adaptation - A cheaper and easier to cast Conspiracy. Makes every other creature in the deck be a zombie so they can benefit from the synergy.
  • Doubling Season - Used more as a copy of Parallel Lives, it has the added bonus of being useful for the few planeswalkers in the deck. Oh, and it can also double the +1/+1 counters of Grimgrin, Corpse-Born if anything.
  • Growing Rites of Itlimoc - Can help get a key creature from amongst the top 4 cards. It might bottomdeck the rest of the cards, but when it gets online it becomes a second Gaea's Cradle.
  • Opposition - When all else fails, you can use this along with your zombies (or other creatures) to tap out the board and swing unopposed (thus the name of the card, I think? lol).
  • Parallel Lives - Zombie tokens are more critical in this build and this enchantment doubles them effort-free.
  • Path of Discovery - The amount of interactions with this card is bonkers. The creature pump with the +1/+1 counter isn't even that relevant. It just synergizes so well with the deck. A zombie token that explores a creature from the top of the deck can create another zombie token with Sidisi in play and you could potentially continue chaining this process.
  • Rooftop Storm - Makes all zombies cost 0 which is even better with Arcane Adaptation in play. It also helps Havengul Lich cast zombies from your graveyard for just 1 each.

Spells

Planeswalkers
  • Kiora, Master of the Depths - Loved this card since the moment it was spoiled. It proved to be even more broken in practice than in theory. <+1> and I untap a creature and a land. <-2> and it's a self-mill where I can choose to keep a land and/or creature for my hand instead. <-8> and I get a broken emblem; all my zombies become bombs.
  • Liliana, Untouched by Death - Definitely a zombie-tribal planeswalker. All 3 abilities are relevent to the main creature type of this build.
  • Liliana, the Last Hope - Able to snipe mana dorks, she also self-mills while recovering a creature from your graveyard to your hand (great with Gempalm Polluter). The emblem is just icing on the cake but getting it online is broken.

Lands

Deck Philosophy

Another casual build (casual but for someone with a sweet budget); this one relies on some good ol' fashioned zombie beatdown. Though the deck is not overly saturated with zombies, the non-zombie creatures here are too crucial to the build to take out simply for not being the same creature type. All the land untappers are important. This build is a mana hog and if you're able to use Gaea's Cradle, Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun, Cabal Coffers, and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx multiple times at the end of an opponent's turn to cast an epic Empty the Pits then it's pretty much game over. The deck is very easy to pilot (at least compared to the main build) and the targets for tutors are pretty much the same throughout all manifestations of the deck.

Deck Strategy

The Zombie Build has more wincons than the Main Build. Not only does it win by amassing a huge horde of zombies, but it can also do many different things with said horde besides turning them sideways.

Noncombo

Not really a viable wincon but definitely doable thanks to Altar of Dementia and/or Undead Alchemist. Maybe an opponent can reduce all damage to 0 or maybe you simply can't attack them. This is by far the weakest but not entirely unachievable. That being said, the next card that could see the axe is Undead Alchemist if better cards come along for this deck.

Another way to win is to use the zombies as ways to expand how much life The Scarab God and Lich Lord of Unx can take away from opponents. Although The Scarab God triggers at the beginning of your upkeep, Lich Lord of Unx can be done repeatedly by activating its ability until all opponents are dead. Obviously, the more zombies you have the less mana you'd need. A good way to use Lich Lord of Unx is with Seedborn Muse. You can start killing the next opponent during your turn, finish them off in their own turn, and then each other opponent during their turn. Thanks to Seedborn Muse untapping all of your permanents each turn, it's easier to pull off a Lich Lord of Unx victory this way.
Combo

I have won so many games out of nowhere thanks to comboing out with multiple interactions in the deck, The best combo in the deck is Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar. As long as you control another zombie (not impossible in this deck) you can indefinitely sacrifice Gravecrawler to Phyrexian Altar for the B needed to keep recasting it from the graveyard. This engine does nothing on its own. But if you have Diregraf Captain, Plague Belcher, or Vengeful Dead in play then you've just won. Notwithstanding, this combo can also help clear the table of nonzombies if Noxious Ghoul is in play, make Grimgrin, Corpse-Born indefinitely large, tap all opponents' relevant permanents with Opposition, or draw your entire deck and put all lands into play thanks to Path of Discovery.
Another way to win by combo is via Gempalm Polluter. Cycling Gempalm Polluter might kill an opponent if your field is full of zombies. Or, you can continue recurring it in order to take out an opponent in a single turn - or all of them if you're able to. The best way to do this is with Unholy Grotto (Volrath's Stronghold does the same thing but costs 1 more). Here's how you do it step by step:
1. Cycle Gempalm Polluter. Since discarding it is part of the cost, it'll be in the graveyard before the cycling ability resolves.
2. Respond to the cycling ability on the stack by activating Unholy Grotto targeting Gempalm Polluter now in the graveyard.
3. Unholy Grotto resolves placing Gempalm Polluter on top of the library.
4. Gempalm Polluter resolves and the card you drew from cycling Gempalm Polluter is Gempalm Polluter :explode: .
This process also works with Lord of the Undead. The good thing is that he puts Gempalm Polluter into your hand so you can actually draw something else when you cycle it.
Mulligans

This version doesn't need Sidisi to be out as quickly as possible. What you do want is anywhere between 3-4 lands and cheap creatures - preferably a lord. Also, if you get any token doublers then you're set. Once again, you do not want any Eldrazi titans in your opening hand. So, a perfect hand has 3-4 lands, and zombie lords. You don't need to mulligan away in order to get token doublers since there's enough of them in the deck and you're bound to get some. What you do want are things to facilitate making or pumping the zombie horde. Just as with the competitive build, mulligan away Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth as their purpose is to prevent getting decked so their main function is to stay in the library. As I've been mentioning throughout, personally, my EDH philosophy is not so much what to want in your starting hand more than what to not want. Honestly, as long as you're able to cast stuff without mana screw or color screw you should be fine. I don't want people to ceaselessly mulligan away searching for "critical" pieces. This deck burns through your library so you're bound to get them. An idea of what to keep in your hand are cheap spells somewhere in the vein of Expedition Map, Mesmeric Orb, Sol Ring, Death Baron, Diregraf Captain, Gravecrawler, Kiora's Follower, Krosan Restorer, Lich Lord of Unx, Liliana, Heretical Healer, Lord of the Undead, Risen Executioner, Undead Warchief, Voyaging Satyr, Phyrexian Reclamation, Survival of the Fittest, Entomb, Garruk Wildspeaker, Buried Alive, or Life from the Loam.
Early Game Strategy

This version is much less complex compared to the previously mentioned builds. The deck strives for zombie generation which can be achieved with self-milling (Buried Alive, Intuition, Jarad's Orders, etc.) with Sidisi in play all the while casting a lot of cheap creatures while you start putting together any of the game-winning components. This version makes deadlier tokens faster than the main version because it has more zombie lords (Death Baron, Diregraf Captain, Lord of the Undead, Risen Executioner, Undead Warchief, plus the other non-zombie lords that pump your creatures). Again, this deck is very easy to pilot so as long as you're getting lands, dropping creatures, and burning through the deck, you're good to go. So, if you're against mid-range decks you're golden. Don't worry too much about what's going on around you unless you start seeing a player build a graveyard hate suite. That's your target the moment it happens. If you're facing other horde players then keep your zombies to chump block mode. If you're against a control player, keep your zombies in attack mode. Basically, cast anything you can cast and attack as necessary.

Mid-Game Strategy

By now, you should start having the mindset of setting up the mother of all hordes (and pumped, too). You have methods of recursion as well to make use of the graveyard and alternate wincons (like Gempalm Polluter, Lich Lord of Unx, Vengeful Dead, etc.) should be assessed whether they're readily available to quickly steal the win or required in cases where you can't win with attacking. If you have various ways of recurring, you should take advantage of Gempalm Polluter once you get it. Eternal Witness it back into your hand, use Lord of the Undead to get it back into your hand. If you have Volrath's Stronghold, activate its ability in response to Gempalm Polluter's ability so that the card you draw from cycling it will be itself - pretty awesome, if I may say so. This alone may get you the win before late game - or at least take out a dangerous player first. The zombie lords and other creature pumpers should've been making your horde pretty menacing as well as token doublers and any combos you could've completed by now. At this stage in the game if you've already assembled the Corpse Harvester + Rooftop Storm engine or the Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar then victory is literally just around the corner.

Late-Game

You should already have some wincon in sight, whether alpha strike, mega mill, or epic life loss. When playing against decks without a lot of board wipes or massive bounce, you should be able to win with alpha strike well before the late game. However, with decks that are stalling, you should try to amass the mother of all hordes and go for a mega mill or epic life loss win since pillow fort, stasis type locks, or other attack inhibition can really hinder your main wincon. These alternate wincons are very viable to complete with all the self-milling and recursion. By late game you should already have most - if not all - of the pieces in play already for any of your decided wins (which have been discussed in great detail in previous sections). Remember that a lot of EDH decks exist which inhibit players from attacking or keeping too many creatures. By now, those players should've been dealt with. If not, remember that the zombie horde doesn't exist for simply attacking - alpha strike is not the only win con. Those players can be eliminated with Altar of Dementia, Lich Lord of Unx, Gempalm Polluter, Diregraf Captain, Vengeful Dead, etc.

Late-Game

This deck is not so casual but still has the components to win most of the time (in a less than competitive meta, of course). It hits hard and fast yet still has a lot of tricks up its sleeve. Again, regardless of your meta, the overall strategy is still the same: ELIMINATE THE GRAVEYARD HATE PLAYER. Anything else can be dealt with accordingly. Alpha strike with a massive horde is usually the way to win, but there are other wincons as well such as massive life drain and massive mill. So you can choose if you have more than one route or if one wincon is in the cards, try and go for that one. Finding what to do amongst the chaos is half the fun!

Last edited by DementedKirby 4 years ago, edited 25 times in total.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

DementedKirby

Reserved.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Beautifully made, sir! Is Yarok good enough to make it in the main list?

DementedKirby

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
Beautifully made, sir!
:grin: Thanks! I did follow your template quite literally :P
benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
Is Yarok good enough to make it in the main list?
As it is, I don't think Yarok, the Desecrated would be good for the Main Build. There are only 12 cards in the deck that would benefit from Yarok and even then, 2 of those might not even entirely benefit it: That being said, 12% of the deck is not such a small number, neither. More cards could be added to the deck if Yarok were to be more impacting. You could easily add Wood Elves and Yavimaya Dryad as creature-based ramp, You could add Venser, Shaper Savant, Acidic Slime, Reclamation Sage, etc. as creature-based removal effects. These additions wouldn't really change the focus of the deck (since Yarok lends itself for a dedicated deck all its own) but Yarok is a 3/5 lifelink deathtouch - which isn't so bad in and of itself. Also, having Yarok in play along with Path of Discovery can really speed the deck along incredibly. Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake won't benefit from Yarok if you're just countering a single spell but if multiple spells are on the stack due to some serious spellslinging or countermagic war, you would be able to counter two spells on the stack instead of one. Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Rune-Scarred Demon would tutor for two cards instead of one, Craterhoof Behemoth becomes even more winmore than it already is, with Intruder Alarm, there would be two triggers on the stack, allowing you to tap down all your relevant creatures between the triggers in order to essentially untap them twice (such value!), etc. What's important to note is that, even without considering all the cards already in the deck and all the good cards that could go in the deck anyways, Yarok already interacts with Sidisi, who's already in the command zone. So it's never a dead card. If it's in play and you cast Sidisi then her enter-the-battlefield trigger goes off twice.

When I put all those things on a scale to see if Yarok is worth a slot in the deck, it might seem plausible. It works well with a decent amount of cards in the deck and it works well with my commander. However, as with any new card for the deck - what do I cut? I would sooner find a slot for Elvish Reclaimer than for Yarok, the Desecrated. Yarok seems more winmore in the deck and I honestly see it as piloting its own deck rather than playing second fiddle to Sidisi. Elvish Reclaimer is much more useful since it can tutor up Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - a key card in the deck. I was at least able to add Elvish Reclaimer in the Zombie Build since that one has more key lands in it than the Main Build, particularly Cavern of Souls, Unholy Grotto, Volrath's Stronghold, etc.

Even then, I wouldn't advise anyone against running Yarok, though. It is a good card and could have a place in the deck to take advantage of that Panharmonicon type of effect. And as I previously mentioned, the deck doesn't need that much unnecessary tweeking to make epic use of Yarok. Hell, I tweeked the deck just to be able to make Prime Speaker Vannifar sort of like a partner in the deck. Every component I added to increase her synergy either already works well on its own in the deck or synergizes with other cards already in the deck. It took me a while to get it done and it was a great success. I see that happening with Yarok, as well for those who really like the card.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Post by WWolfe » 4 years ago

With the leak that the C19 deck will include the Flashback and Madness mechanics, what are your thoughts on possibly getting new toys for Sidisi?

DementedKirby

WWolfe wrote:
4 years ago
With the leak that the C19 deck will include the Flashback and Madness mechanics, what are your thoughts on possibly getting new toys for Sidisi?
Hey, WWolfe! Welcome to the Nexus!

Well, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. The last two Commander precons were really lacksluster to me. I've always bought at the very least one of the decks for every product since 2013 and I made a hard pass on the last two. The mechanics that are being highlighted aren't new and they already have great legendary creatures at the helm for. That reminds me of last years decks being "built around an archetype" in name only because functionally, they weren't like that. Maybe the legendary creatures and a couple of cards support those mechanics, but I don't think much else will apart from reprints.

As for madness, I don't really do much discarding with my Sidisi builds. So I don't know if I would take advantage of any cards with madness (from what exists for madness so far, at least). For flashback, it depends. If they're cheap then I could potentially include them in the Budget Build. They'd have to be absolute bombs for me to add them in Sidisi. I want to try and thin out as many noncreature spells/cards as possible. And creatures don't have flashback.

What I might be slightly interested in is the proliferate. Rhys the Redeemed and Trostani, Selesnya's Voice are already the best proliferate commanders. Unfortunately, they're {g/w} and all proliferate spells have W in its color identity. The only green cards that support my tokens strategy with Sidisi are just that - because they're exclusively green. However, if they decided to stop having populate be exclusively a Selesnya mechanic (like how Modern Horizons printed a non-Izzet card with overload) and they included colors that could work well with Sidisi, then that would be amazing. I'm not hoping for a Sultai populate commander deck, but if it were Bant or possibly Abzan then maybe I could get more goodies for Sidisi that way.

EDIT:
Lol, just so happens that the mechanic I didn't mention above (morph) is the one that ended up being led by a Sultai commander :laugh:
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Thanks for the welcome!

I mentioned Madness because I was also thinking about my daughters Varina deck at the time.

Proliferate would be intriguing if it gave support to Sultai though I just noticed that about the Morph commander too. I'm holding out hope we get something out of this set but I'm not counting on it, I haven't bought any of the commander decks in the last 2-3 years, before that I considered each deck a must buy but the last few just haven't done anything for me. I've bought a few cards from each set but that's been it. I do have the Esper deck from last year but it was a birthday present from my girlfriend.

DementedKirby

Yeah, I don't know if WotC is intentionally sabotaging the Commander products like they did with Duel Decks in order to put Planeswalker Decks at the forefront and From the Vault in order to put Signature Spellbook at the forefront. Maybe they purposefully made these commanders lackluster so that commander players would buy the Brawl Decks instead. Chulane, Teller of Tales is more busted than any of the revealed legendary creatures so far - and he's even gonna be Standard legal.

If the reason is because they're running out of ideas, I doubt it. Chulane and the Core Set 2020 legendary creatures are evidence to the contrary. They reduced the amount of decks to 4 instead of 5 because then there'd be less new cards to design and they can opt out of keeping symmetry between color combinations between them. Yet the first time they did this, they increased the price and there was a clear disparity between the quality of the decks right out of the box. Just compare the vampire and wizards decks to the cats and dragons decks. Last year's decks were just plain horrible. They contained a couple of good singles but the reprint quality was beyond subpar and the theme of the set was "themes matters", which is pretty ironic considering that the support for each theme was incredibly lackluster.

This time around, WotC has designed a commander that only works within a theme. I feel this is tongue-in-cheek and more of a statement than anything else. I feel like it's retaliation for all the hate and backlash from last year for being so offtheme and the quality of reprints. Last year had decks that barely supported the theme and this year's decks' commanders are only about the theme.

I might be ranting or wearing a tinfoil cone on my head, but this is what makes the most sense to me. Core Set 2020 was nicknamed "Coremander" by many in the EDH community because of all the singles and legendary creatures great for commander. This makes the casual crowd crack packs or purchase singles from the set in order to build decks or revamp their existing decks. Any of the three-colored legendary creatures from that set are better than these 4 legendary creatures revealed so far. Not only that, but Core Set 2020 also had a cycle of mono-colored legendary creatures that could be built around, too. From the looks of Throne of Eldraine, the same thing will probably happen. I know for a fact - 100% - that I'm going to buy the Chulane, Teller of Tales Brawl Deck and build it into a deck similar to my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck, where the theme of the decks is "extreme synergy with the commander".

I'm also predicting werewolves for Throne of Eldraine because of Nightpack Ambusher and Arlinn, Voice of the Pack. Why would Standard cards care about werewolves when there aren't any werewolves in their respective sets? There's tribal synergy without any creature of that type currently in Standard. It makes no sense to print them after return to Innistrad rotated out. So, it must be because the next set will have werewolves. Meaning that Throne of Eldraine will finally print the werewolf tribal commander everyone has been wanting (maybe that'll finally make Grimlock, Dinobot Leader's price drop significantly). I'm also predicting that it's going to be BRG since there have been black werewolf creatures in the past. Also, Core Set 2020 had 5 wedge-colored commanders (and Rienne, Angel of Rebirth) so I'm guessing/predicting that the 4 Brawl Decks are going to be the other 4 shard-colored commanders. Maybe we can find the BRG werewolf tribal commander there.

I dunno, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. The morph commander is Sultai when the morph mechanic in the Tarkir block was a Temur thing. But then why design a new Temur commander specifically for morph when Animar, Soul of Elements is still the king of morph tribal? So they just randomly swapped out R for B? They should've just made a "partner with" pair of commanders that together make UBRG whose focus was morph. Then we would've been able to have all 4 colors while being able to include Animar and Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer if that were the case. I honestly feel like they're making the commander precons tame on purpose so that only casual and/or new players buy into them and then higher-level players build their commander decks from legendary creatures in expansions, similar to the planeswalker decks being purposefully nerfed so that only new players buy them. Honestly, these past 3 years feel like duds to me, and so now I'm seeing a trend. But maybe that's just me.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 4 years ago

DementedKirby wrote:
4 years ago

I dunno, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. The morph commander is Sultai when the morph mechanic in the Tarkir block was a Temur thing.
Morph in Tarkir was pretty much in all colors, even Sultai. Abomination of Gudul for example.
I just hope for some awesome toys in the Morph deck, maybe even some for Sidisi.

DementedKirby

KitsuLeif wrote:
4 years ago
DementedKirby wrote:
4 years ago

I dunno, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. The morph commander is Sultai when the morph mechanic in the Tarkir block was a Temur thing.
Morph in Tarkir was pretty much in all colors, even Sultai. Abomination of Gudul for example.
I just hope for some awesome toys in the Morph deck, maybe even some for Sidisi.
Ah, you're right. I totally overlooked that card!

Yeah, morph is used in all colors - even in white. But it's predominantly blue and green (currently, 30% of cards that have morph are blue, 23% are green, 16% are red, black and white are almost tied at about 15%, and 2% are colorless). Hm, I can now see how Sultai could be a commander for morph. Although, I would've still preferred maybe a 4-colored or even 5-colored commander for morph. That way you could really use the best of the best morph cards. I know WotC has released so many 5-colored commanders in recents sets like Jodah, Archmage Eternal, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain, and Golos, Tireless Pilgrim that aren't technically 5-colored; they just have a pentacolored commander identity. But morph hasn't really received support for commander apart from Animar and Kadena.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Any thoughts on the C19 product now that all decks have been revealed?

DementedKirby

WWolfe wrote:
4 years ago
Any thoughts on the C19 product now that all decks have been revealed?
Yes, I do.

I'm not going to call these products underpowered because they're pretty decent - at least compared to last year. But I think the quality of reprints I think isn't all that it was hyped up to be and they could've done way better in that aspect - at least with the mana base. Efficient lands are expensive and that price tag makes makes it hard for even casual players to make a decent deck on a budget. Having multicolored decks chocked full of basics and lands that enter the battlefield tapped is too feel-bad. Shocklands aren't so expensive and they've already been reprinted 3 times; they could've easily included them in these precons.

As far as the themes go, flashback and madness didn't really have a devoted commander. So in that respect I feel like they did a decent job. Ghired, Conclave Exile is, I feel, an improvement on the only other two populate commanders (Rhys the Redeemed, and Trostani, Selesnya's Voice) in that it includes red without excluding green and white. Therefore, you can just build a populate deck including all the red token copying spells but also still include Rhys and Trostani. The one I feel like they dropped the ball on was the morph deck. Animar, Soul of Elements is already king of the morph mechanic. Whereas Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer only lets you play one morph creature for free, you could play them all for free with Animar. Animar also already included 2/3 of Kadena's colors. And, including black over red isn't that big a deal as far as inclusions go. I actually prefer red because all the kobolds cost 0 and you can pull off some shenanigans with them and Cloudstone Curio.

That being said, I do like the other two BUG legendary creatures. Volrath, the Shapestealer is paired great with Experiment Kraj. You could basically build a secret commander deck with Experiment Kraj that's able to run Necrotic Ooze in its deck, with Volrath as the backup plan in the command zone. Sevinne, the Chronoclasm is an interesting legend but I like Elsha of the Infinite even more. I'd rather build the latter than the former. The legendary wall is just for the Timmiest of the Timmies. What Timmies actually wanted was a legendary wall creature for wall tribal. But they technically already got wall tribal thanks to Arcades, the Strategist. 100% I'd build K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth over Chainer, Nightmare Adept and Anje Falkenrath. K'rrik is beyond busted. It allows for so many turn 1 combo wins that it's on par to challenge even Urza, Lord High Artificer.

As for what is included that would go well with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant - or is even worth testing or considering, I have the following review for Commander 2019:
  • Full Flowering - This card seems overpowered but I don't believe it is. Cards like Second Harvest doubles all your tokens - not just creature tokens like populate does - and only costs 2GG. If I had 1 or 3 or 100 tokens, I just pay 2GG for Second Harvest and I get 1 or 3 or 100 more. If I wanted 10 Zombie tokens with Full Flowering I would have to pay 1010G
  • Ohran Frostfang - A combination of half of Bident of Thassa and half of Bow of Nylea all on a body. The key word in that entire sentence was "body". I don't run Coastal Piracy because it's not a creature; I also don't run Edric, Spymaster of Trest because it benefits other opponents who don't attack me. However, this isn't the case with Ohran Frostfang. It has all the pros and none of the cons. Definitely worth considering for the deck.
  • Volrath, the Shapestealer - I always loved the lore of the Weatherlight saga back in the day and how finally the war between Urza and Yawgmoth came to an end. And even though Volrath already has a card, this one's pretty amazing. I don't know if it'll find a slot in the deck, but I'm just glad that every single BUG legendary is so different that they don't really go together (the only exception being Muldrotha, the Gravetide that goes great in every deck sporting those colors). Being able to copy any creature in play is no joke though and it still has the possibility of being versatile. That being said, this deck is cursed with being so fine-tuned that it's near impossible to fit new cards in unless they're strictly better than any card already in the deck.
  • Idol of Oblivion - Almost always guaranteed to draw me a card any turn for just 2. Definitely worth considering.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Idol of Oblivion is something I plan on play-testing. The way the deck pumps out tokens...

WWolfe

Murderous Rider may be an interesting removal option. Basically Hero's Downfall as an Adventure on a creature that will trigger Sidisi when milled.

DementedKirby

Ooh! That's definitely a great card for the deck! It counts as a creature but I can cast it as a sorcery. So it triggers Sidisi when self-milled. Definitely worth testing!
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

DementedKirby

Another great card spoiled for Sidisi is Emry, Lurker of the Loch. She's cheap at 2U with the potential of costing U. She self-mills 4 when she enters the battlefield. She also provides artifact recursion similar to Havengul Lich in that you can tap her in order to cast an artifact from your graveyard. Being a creature card means she's definitely worth considering for inclusion.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

LOL. I was just coming to post about Emry.

DementedKirby

WWolfe wrote:
4 years ago
LOL. I was just coming to post about Emry.
Lol, sorry, dude.

At least from the looks of things so far, the adventure creatures seems to be what interests me about the set. They're technically creatures but I can cast them as sorceries.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

The adventure creatures look as though they could very well fit into the deck, at least worth play-testing. Order of Midnight could be a decent piece of recursion.

DementedKirby

Maybe when the rest of the set is revealed we'll see if there're cards that care about or have interactions with cards that are exiled on an adventure. If one's able to continuously do that effect, it could definitely be something abuseable in this deck.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

Kangodo

Post by Kangodo » 4 years ago

I like Emry, but I don't think we need it.. or have the spot for it. I'll think about it and maybe try her out, it really helps that she mills four.

Murderous Rider is definitely included. It gives zombies when milled ánd I can fetch it with most of my 'tutors'.

The Cauldron of Eternity is one of the cards I am most excited about. It's usually 2 mana and allows me to cast from the GY every turn. I honestly do not care about the downside, I mill enough creatures as it is.

Syr Konrad is an auto-include, I think we can all agree on that?

DementedKirby

Kangodo wrote:
4 years ago
I like Emry, but I don't think we need it.. or have the spot for it. I'll think about it and maybe try her out, it really helps that she mills four.

Murderous Rider is definitely included. It gives zombies when milled ánd I can fetch it with most of my 'tutors'.

The Cauldron of Eternity is one of the cards I am most excited about. It's usually 2 mana and allows me to cast from the GY every turn. I honestly do not care about the downside, I mill enough creatures as it is.

Syr Konrad is an auto-include, I think we can all agree on that?
I'm really loving this set. It's definitely super inspiring in terms of brewing plus all the cards that can be added to so many different commanders.

Murderous Rider is totally an autoinclude from every standpoint.

The Cauldron of Eternity is something I would test given it's not a creature. It's ability is super busted here, though.

Syr Konrad, the Grim is amazing. If you're able to infinitely mill yourself in a single turn then it's a wincon without having to go to combat or do anything else. Along that same vein Ayara, First of Locthwain could be considered. Infinite mill means infinite zombie triggers. Infinite zombie triggers means that Ayara triggers infinitely until she drains all opponents.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

Millenhero

Post by Millenhero » 4 years ago

Hej Kirby,

I recently proxied your zombie tribal version of the build (awesome deck, just %$#% zombies all the time)

but in your decklist, you list 36 Lands, but I can only count 35? is this an error, or do you run 35 lands and miss one other card.

Millenhero

Post by Millenhero » 4 years ago

and in your zombie list,

by type you don't mention akroma's memorial
but by function you do ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”