Sidisi, Brood Tyrant - Zombie Horde and Shenanigans

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

Millenhero wrote:
4 years ago
Hej Kirby,

I recently proxied your zombie tribal version of the build (awesome deck, just %$#% zombies all the time)

but in your decklist, you list 36 Lands, but I can only count 35? is this an error, or do you run 35 lands and miss one other card.
Millenhero wrote:
4 years ago
and in your zombie list,

by type you don't mention akroma's memorial
but by function you do ;)
Glad you like the deck!

Thanks for catching that. When I have the time later on I'll revise it to see what the inconsistencies are.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

Tags:

FiddlerTheDrum
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by FiddlerTheDrum » 4 years ago

The numbers for CMC on your decklists make them pretty bad to export. Can you switch to just putting a quantity count in front of the cards? (1 unless basics?)

DementedKirby

FiddlerTheDrum wrote:
4 years ago
The numbers for CMC on your decklists make them pretty bad to export. Can you switch to just putting a quantity count in front of the cards? (1 unless basics?)
Curiously, I noticed the other day that deck formatting here is super amazing when compared to how it used to be done in MTGSalvation. There's already a mode for seeing cards based on CMC and a different mode for amount of cards. Having discovered this I was going to update the decklists for my posts. However, I still haven't been able to get to that. My apologies. Since I'm soon to evaluate the Throne of Eldraine set to see what cards go in which decks, I will definitely update the threads accordingly. Again, sorry for the inconvenience!
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

Zero_Origin

Post by Zero_Origin » 4 years ago

Two cards from Eldraine really stand out to me. Murderous Rider is just the kind of instant speed interaction this deck sorely needs. Meanwhile, Syr Konrad, the Grim is a swiss-army knife of awesome. A straight up wincon for decks with infinite mill, but it's still easy to get a lot of mileage out of him even without combo. I really like how creatures leaving your graveyard trigger his ability; not only does this benefit the use of reanimation, it can even deter (or at least punish) graveyard removal. One day I hope I can live the dream and kill everyone at the table by doing the unthinkable: bojuka bogging my own graveyard :grin:

DementedKirby

Zero_Origin wrote:
4 years ago
Two cards from Eldraine really stand out to me. Murderous Rider is just the kind of instant speed interaction this deck sorely needs. Meanwhile, Syr Konrad, the Grim is a swiss-army knife of awesome. A straight up wincon for decks with infinite mill, but it's still easy to get a lot of mileage out of him even without combo. I really like how creatures leaving your graveyard trigger his ability; not only does this benefit the use of reanimation, it can even deter (or at least punish) graveyard removal. One day I hope I can live the dream and kill everyone at the table by doing the unthinkable: bojuka bogging my own graveyard :grin:
What's really crazy about using Bojuka Bog on yourself is that Syr Konrad, the Grim is also a deterrent against opponents' own Bojuka Bog. If they exile our graveyard full of creatures, they're gonna feel the pain for doing so.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

Zero_Origin

Post by Zero_Origin » 4 years ago

DementedKirby wrote:
4 years ago
What's really crazy about using Bojuka Bog on yourself is that Syr Konrad, the Grim is also a deterrent against opponents' own Bojuka Bog. If they exile our graveyard full of creatures, they're gonna feel the pain for doing so.
Realistically, I expect Syr Konrad to eat a lot of spot removal, but if he manages to stick then yes, it will create an interesting dilemma for someone who wants to exile a well stocked graveyard. It'll be especially funny when their exiling our graveyard would amount to this: Image

DementedKirby

I agree. When discussing Syr Konrad I tell people that the engine needs to already be in place and functioning before casting him. He also costs 5 so having to recast him multiple times in a game will be quite troublesome (if he's your commander).
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

DementedKirby

Here's my review for Throne of Eldraine:
  • Emry, Lurker of the Loch - Although the deck doesn't run too many artifacts, Emry can mill four of our cards at a cost between 1-3 mana. She can also tap in order for use to cast an artifact from our graveyard until end of turn. Since I've managed to continue reducing the number of noncreature cards in the deck, the amount of artifacts will definitely diminish. It's hard enough as it is looking for space in the deck to put in a card that will eventually be taken out. That being said, Emry is an amazing card - just not here.
  • Ayara, First of Locthwain - Definitely worth considering for the deck! Although her BBB is hard on a tricolored deck, her abilties more than make up for it. With sufficient zombie tokens entering the battlefield, we can kill all opponents without needing to turn sideways.
  • Murderous Rider - Hero's Downfall on a creature is exactly the kind of thing this deck wants. As a bonus, it can be cast from its adventure for just 1BB as 2/3 zombie with deathtouch that goes back to the bottom of the library when it dies. 100% going in this deck.
  • Syr Konrad, the Grim - Another amazing card for the deck. Everytime we mill ourselves or one of our creatures die, we get to deal 1 damage to each opponent. This is something that happens quite often in the deck and that damage definitely adds up. He's a bit costly at 5 mana but he's a 5/4 so he more than makes up for it. On top of that, he can mill everyone for 1 for just 1B.
  • The Cauldron of Eternity - Although I'm trying to reduce the amount of noncreature spells in the deck, this artifact is very good here. Considering the deck is a self-mill deck, more than likely it'll cost just BB. When our creatures die, they go to the bottom of the library. The, for just 2B, T, and paying 2 life we get to reanimate any creature from our graveyard at sorcery speed. Definitely worth considering for the deck.
  • Steelbane Hydra - With all the mana the deck produces this can definitely be cast with a healthy value of X. It can then be used as removal for any unwanted artifacts or enchantments on the battlefield. And, if it runs out, it can just be recast from the graveyard later one.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

betoslav

Post by betoslav » 4 years ago

Did you end up making the change with Murderous Rider (or other cards)? Just curious to see the updated list. Again, huge fan of the deck. Thanks for all the work here and on the YouTube channel!

DementedKirby

betoslav wrote:
4 years ago
Did you end up making the change with Murderous Rider (or other cards)? Just curious to see the updated list.
Hey!

It's so hard to slot things into the deck that I haven't had a chance to do enough testing to see if anything warrants the swaps. More than likely I'll find a slot for it in the Zombie Tribal version before the Main version. That being said it is a great card so if you're considering putting it in your own deck, definitely do!
betoslav wrote:
4 years ago
Again, huge fan of the deck.Thanks for all the work here and on the YouTube channel!
Thanks! It means a lot to have my hard work appreciated! There're definitely some videos in the works concerning my Sidisi Primer so stay tuned! I've yet to upload a gameplay video while piloting the deck as well. But when the first gameplay video featuring the deck is uploaded, the deck tech video will follow afterwards. I just have to get a chance to record a gameplay video using it!
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

SaintForthigan

Post by SaintForthigan » 4 years ago

Hey there! I've built your deck, and have been having a ton of fun with it, and I can't wait for your Sidisi video to finally go live. In the meantime though, I was wondering if you could help me with a little problem I've been running into. I find that playing into a meta with a lot of ramp and fast Mana, by the time I get the 4 Mana to cast Sidisi and start the milling machine, everybody else is already on 6-8, and I'm often either playing on the back foot or getting pressured out of the game due to everyone being able to economically answer threats with open Mana. Do you have any tips that you might be able to offer to an ailing player?

DementedKirby

Thanks! Glad it was helpful!

Yeah, the Sidisi video has been delayed because I was waiting on first releasing a game play video where I used it before releasing the video. However, halfway through editing I caught a mistake another player made that couldn't be rectified. So everything got delayed (that's already the second gameplay video I've had to discard, which is why I haven't put out any episodes of "The Stage" in while, either). However, since I have such an indepth primer for Sidisi, that video is going to be pretty long. So I also have to invest a lot of time and effort in it. And we're officially in Theros spoiler season so I have to see when I can work in it, too.

Well, the thing is the deck gets its mana from mana dorks and land untappers. However, if that's not enough for you, you can run creatures like Wood Elves, Yavimaya Dryad, etc. since they're ramp spells on a body. And as you know with this deck, we prefer our effects to be on bodies ;)
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

DementedKirby

new card
Show
Hide
Hot dang, is that a spicy meatball! Minimum, it's definitely a shoe-in for the Zombie Build!
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Post by WWolfe » 4 years ago

Any thoughts on Theros?

DementedKirby

Definitely! Just haven't had the time to evaluate the cards as far as Sidisi is concerned since they've been spoiled. Hopefully I get on it this week. Haven't even been able to do the set review video for my channel yet. I've been behind on everything since the earthquakes in Puerto Rico left me like 4 days without power and even longer without stable internet. So my plan is to work on THB this week.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

DementedKirby

Here's my review for Theros Beyond Death:
  • Acolyte of Affliction - It only self-mills 2 but it can return any permanent to our hand which is incredibly versatile in the deck since it can recover an artifact, enchantment, land, or planeswalker. It has an okay body at 2/3 for its ability and casting cost. It's not a definite include, but is worth testing.
  • Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths - This creature is win/win in the deck. Getting cards in our graveyard isn't a problem. If a creature gets sent to the graveyard, Sidisi creates a zombie. This deck doesn't blink but it does sacrifice creatures and reanimates them so we can definitely use his ability a couple of times even though it's an enter-the-battlefield one.
  • Dryad of the Ilysian Grove - The deck doesn't really suffer in terms of getting color-screwed. But there are a couple of utility lands so being able to tap them for any colored mana can be useful. As a bonus we can play an additional land each turn. This allows us to drop a land from hand as well as play one from the graveyard with Muldrotha, the Gravetide.
  • Eat to Extinction - It's a bit overcosted at 4 mana but it exiles its target. It can also self-mill the top card of our library. So it does 2 things that are useful for the deck. It's also at instant speed, which is great.
  • Funeral Rites - Definitely worth considering for the Budget Build. You draw 2 cards and self-mill 2 cards for just 2B. You lose 2 life but that's negligible in commander.
  • Gravebreaker Lamia - Entomb on a creature is amazing even if the creature doesn't have flash. Additionally, lands we cast from the graveyard cost 1 less to cast so Muldortha and Havengul Lich love that. It's also a 4/4 with lifelink for 4B so it also has a great body for its cost, too.
  • Mindwrack Harpy - Great for the Budget Build, it self-mills us for 3 cards while also making all opponents mill 3 cards, which can be quite disruptive when left unanswered. It's also a 3/2 with flying for 3B which isn't bad, either.
  • Relentless Pursuit - Another good self-mill spell for the Budget Build since it self-mills 4 but you can save a land from those and put it into your hand.
  • Skola Grovedancer - Good to gain life, it's self-mill ability is a bit overcosted. I think it would've been fine at just 1G or even G. That being said, I think it could be good in the Budget Build as a way to gain life against more aggressive decks.
  • Thassa, Deep-Dwelling - A Conjurer's Closet on a body would be a great addition to the deck with all the creatures with enter-the-battlefield abilities. However, it'd need considerable testing just to make sure it pulls its weight and isn't just a pet card.
  • Tymaret Calls the Dead - It self-mills 3 cards at the end of our draw step for two draw steps. We probably won't be exiling any creature to create a generic zombie token. However, if we're able to keep a huge horde of zombies amassed, we can gain a huge chunk of life and scry deep into our deck by the time the 3rd lore comes into effect.
  • Underworld Sentinel - It's a roundabout way of reanimating creatures but at least any creature exiled under it won't be unrecoverable if our graveyard were exiled.
  • Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath - Continuously recasting this from the graveyard with Muldrotha, the Gravetide and/or Havengul Lich would be amazing. I really doubt I'd exile 5 cards to pay its escape cost, but as it is, it's a great ability on a creature for its casting cost - especially in a deck like this one.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

I'm really anxious to try Dryad of the Ilysian Grove in the deck. With both Muldrotha, the Gravetide & Ramunap Excavator it could be an interesting play.

I'm actually curious about Relentless Pursuit, problem is deciding what to take out to play-test it.

DementedKirby

I'd say take out something similar for Relentless Pursuit; we don't want the number of creatures to decrease in a deck like this one.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Got to play with Dryad of the Ilysian Grove today. When you get it out with Ramunap or Muldrotha it gets real nice, real fast.

DementedKirby

WWolfe wrote:
4 years ago
Got to play with Dryad of the Ilysian Grove today. When you get it out with Ramunap or Muldrotha it gets real nice, real fast.
What's great about it is that I used to run Chromatic Lantern in the very beginning of the deck but took it out because I was able to add a more efficient mana base. Having that ability on a creature - stapled to Exploration - is definitely a benefit in a deck like this one.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

I use to run Chromatic Lantern as well. Dryad is kind of a two-for-one card where both ends benefit the deck in a very nice way.

Have you got to test play Tymaret Calls the Dead yet?

DementedKirby

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to test any new cards yet since Throne of Eldraine. I've just been so busy on so other projects. I have played with Sidisi in a couple of games but not with the opportunity for testing new cards. And I wanted to get some changes in when I recorded a game play with her for the channel but not even for that. Hopefully I'll be able to when I get some vacation time.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Awesome game the other day. Was behind (had constantly been board wiped by the other players) but drew the right card at the right time. Rot Hulk. Cast it bringing back Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Gravecrawler, and Plague Belcher. Exploited a zombie token to Sidisi, searched up Phyrexian Altar, used my last three mana to cast it. As soon they saw the combo, everyone just scooped.

I was literally on the verge of defeat and snatched victory from out of nowhere.

DementedKirby

Nice game!

That's what I literally love about Sidisi. As long as your graveyard isn't exiled, you can retake the game from seemingly out of nowhere.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern

WWolfe

Pretty fun game yesterday, again using the deck. Jarad's Orders, putting Craterhoof into the bin & Body Double to my hand. Cast Body Double as a copy of Craterhoof. Swung out and did lethal damage to two of the three opponents. Unforunately I miscalculated damage and left the third player at 1 life. I was legitimately in trouble. He was playing Oracle of Mul Daya & had a Bojuka Bog showing, all he had to do was get to his turn, exile my graveyard which would have exiled Wonder making all my creatures lose flying and then swing out with his five Angel tokens. Then I look at my board and realize I have it. I calmly say "sac 4 zombie tokens to Phyrexian Altar making 2 blue and 2 black, activate Lich Lord of Unx second ability for 9. " He just looked his hand and said "GG".

It was the first time I had ever used that ability and had actually been debating cutting Lich Lord.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”