Could use some help with my OG Teysa deck

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 4 years ago

My 1st EDH deck was built around OG Teysa, Orzhov Scion. Over the years, I've made adjustments, doubling down on synergy, but as I've focused more on synergistic cards, I've ended up in a position where many individual cards are just super weak unless I have some board state.

I had focused on a somewhat controlling build, wanting to lean into Teysa's exile ability, supported by a lot of token production. Dumped some easy life gain on top of that.

Now I'm weighing whether I should swap to another BW commander, or make some major edits to this list. Advice appreciated!
Decklist

Recurrable Fodder (2)

Other (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I've been playing Teysa 1.0 for a while, and my experience has been that building a perfect list for her is very, very difficult - I'm pretty sure that of all my decks, Teysa is the one most in flux by a significant margin. Unlike some generals that have a very obvious direction (ex: Tatyova, Benthic Druid wants you to play lands), there are a lot of directions Teysa (and Orzhov in general) can go - you can lean into token production, or sacrifice synergy, or take a more controlling route and take advantage of her exile ability alongside Orzhov's great removal. And of course, this is before we start discussing any sort of lifegain synergies or reanimation strategies, which Orzhov can also support.

The issue with almost all of these strategies is that they are generally focused on your board position - either they require you to already have a bunch of creatures on the battlefield, or they merely generate more creatures (instead of some other resource, such as ramping out more lands or drawing more cards). This means that many cards are vulnerable to Wrath of God and other board wipes.

To address the original issue (lots of synergistic pieces that are weak without support), there are several approaches I've taken with my own deck:
-include a few one or two card combos that provide a large impact with minimal setup. I've grown to be a pretty big fan of Buried Alive -> Living Death.
-run more card draw and recursion, to make assembling the right combination of synergistic pieces more consistent
-focus on artifacts and enchantments, which tend to be more resilient to removal, and thus more likely to stick around

Including cards that fulfill multiple tasks at the same time also makes assembling synergies easier (ex: Altar of Dementia is a sacrifice outlet, a win condition, and a way to set up reanimation.

Specific cards I'll suggest: Dawn of Hope, Darkest Hour, Grim Haruspex, Altar of Dementia, Living Death, Grave Pact (+Dictate of Erebos), Pitiless Plunderer.

Another approach you could take is swapping Teysa for Krav & Regna, and seeing how that feels. (I once tried to do so, but didn't have enough lifegain in my deck. However, it looks like you have substantially more support for them than I did)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I have no personal experience with playing Teysa, Orzhov Scion, but there are a few things that I feel could be done.

Firstly you should really be running the Darkest Hour combo, and now you have Painter's Servant to further this.

I do have a Yawgmoth, Thran Physician deck, so there are some similarities. And yes you should run him in the deck, he is a sacrifice outlet and a draw mechanism and a creature killing machine.

Orzov has a lot of infinite combos at it's disposal. Are you a fan of trying to assemble combinations of cards that are game winning? The thing is that a lot of these combos involve sacrificing creatures and you already have these in your deck.
Now as you know Teysa, Orzhov Scion + Karmic Guide + Reveillark allows you to exile all opponents creatures.
This is a very powerful tool. So I'd give yourself more access to this via Buried Alive and some more reanimation cards, Dance of the Dead and Necromancy.
Cruel Celebrant can be the third creature you Buried Alive for to win the game.
You can also play Leonin Relic-Warder and you already have Sun Titan which can go infinite with Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Necromancy. You need a sacrifice outlet as well.
These will give you infinite ETB/LTB which can be combined with Lifegain or Drain creatures.
Fiend Hunter can also be combined with Sun Titan and a sacrifice outlet to give you infinite ETB/LTBs as well.
The neat thing is that Leonin Relic-Warder and Fiend Hunter as individual cards are good on there own as they represent disruption on opponents as well if need be.

So to start you off these are the changes I personally would make: If you want me to explain the cuts then just ask, I'm being a bit lazy and hoping you'll just accept them at face value :P

yeti1069

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
I've been playing Teysa 1.0 for a while, and my experience has been that building a perfect list for her is very, very difficult - I'm pretty sure that of all my decks, Teysa is the one most in flux by a significant margin. Unlike some generals that have a very obvious direction (ex: Tatyova, Benthic Druid wants you to play lands), there are a lot of directions Teysa (and Orzhov in general) can go - you can lean into token production, or sacrifice synergy, or take a more controlling route and take advantage of her exile ability alongside Orzhov's great removal. And of course, this is before we start discussing any sort of lifegain synergies or reanimation strategies, which Orzhov can also support.

The issue with almost all of these strategies is that they are generally focused on your board position - either they require you to already have a bunch of creatures on the battlefield, or they merely generate more creatures (instead of some other resource, such as ramping out more lands or drawing more cards). This means that many cards are vulnerable to Wrath of God and other board wipes.

To address the original issue (lots of synergistic pieces that are weak without support), there are several approaches I've taken with my own deck:
-include a few one or two card combos that provide a large impact with minimal setup. I've grown to be a pretty big fan of Buried Alive -> Living Death.
-run more card draw and recursion, to make assembling the right combination of synergistic pieces more consistent
-focus on artifacts and enchantments, which tend to be more resilient to removal, and thus more likely to stick around

Including cards that fulfill multiple tasks at the same time also makes assembling synergies easier (ex: Altar of Dementia is a sacrifice outlet, a win condition, and a way to set up reanimation.

Specific cards I'll suggest: Dawn of Hope, Darkest Hour, Grim Haruspex, Altar of Dementia, Living Death, Grave Pact (+Dictate of Erebos), Pitiless Plunderer.

Another approach you could take is swapping Teysa for Krav & Regna, and seeing how that feels. (I once tried to do so, but didn't have enough lifegain in my deck. However, it looks like you have substantially more support for them than I did)
I'm not a fan of leaning too heavily into infinite combos, and as such don't run Darkest Hour (among others). In particular, I'd prefer running cards that are pretty good without being a combo piece. Painter's Servant may come in, since it gives value for Teysa's abilities even if it can't go infinite (such as by not having enough creatures to pop off with), but I'm on the fence about it.

I had stayed away from Grave Pact effects for two reasons; one, I have a Meren (formerly Savra) deck focused on that kind of board control, and two, because I wanted to lean on Teysa's exile ability for pinpoint removal, which helps deal with creatures I don't want to hit the yard, or don't want recurred, but also is a more political move. Pact effects negate Teysa's ability, since the Pact trigger resolves first.

Haruspex I had been considering, but I felt like I was sacrificing many more tokens than creatures, and it doesn't replace itself. Still, it's a decent add, and I'll consider it. Pitiless Plunderer I've been considering, but I feel like I've had more games where I had mana I didn't know what to do with than I have games where I needed a few more mana in a given turn. Yes, it sort of doubles as a backup Phyrexian Altar (with another free sac outlet), but I don't know what I would cut for it if I did decide to add it.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I have no personal experience with playing Teysa, Orzhov Scion, but there are a few things that I feel could be done.

Firstly you should really be running the Darkest Hour combo, and now you have Painter's Servant to further this.

I do have a Yawgmoth, Thran Physician deck, so there are some similarities. And yes you should run him in the deck, he is a sacrifice outlet and a draw mechanism and a creature killing machine.

Orzov has a lot of infinite combos at it's disposal. Are you a fan of trying to assemble combinations of cards that are game winning? The thing is that a lot of these combos involve sacrificing creatures and you already have these in your deck.
Now as you know Teysa, Orzhov Scion + Karmic Guide + Reveillark allows you to exile all opponents creatures.
This is a very powerful tool. So I'd give yourself more access to this via Buried Alive and some more reanimation cards, Dance of the Dead and Necromancy.
Cruel Celebrant can be the third creature you Buried Alive for to win the game.
You can also play Leonin Relic-Warder and you already have Sun Titan which can go infinite with Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Necromancy. You need a sacrifice outlet as well.
These will give you infinite ETB/LTB which can be combined with Lifegain or Drain creatures.
Fiend Hunter can also be combined with Sun Titan and a sacrifice outlet to give you infinite ETB/LTBs as well.
The neat thing is that Leonin Relic-Warder and Fiend Hunter as individual cards are good on there own as they represent disruption on opponents as well if need be.

So to start you off these are the changes I personally would make: If you want me to explain the cuts then just ask, I'm being a bit lazy and hoping you'll just accept them at face value :P
Yawgmoth will go in as soon as I get a copy.

Not looking to go too hard on infinite combos, so I don't think I would add Relic-Warder (it's decent on its own, but there's much better removal available in Orzhov colors), and definitely wouldn't add Darkest Hour.

Meekstone has been AMAZING in nearly every game I've played it. Almost everything in the deck is 2 or less power, and I generally don't need to attack to win in any case. Right now, the one big body I have that does need to attack has vigilance (Sun Titan).

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

yeti1069 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not a fan of leaning too heavily into infinite combos, and as such don't run Darkest Hour (among others). In particular, I'd prefer running cards that are pretty good without being a combo piece. Painter's Servant may come in, since it gives value for Teysa's abilities even if it can't go infinite (such as by not having enough creatures to pop off with), but I'm on the fence about it.

I had stayed away from Grave Pact effects for two reasons; one, I have a Meren (formerly Savra) deck focused on that kind of board control, and two, because I wanted to lean on Teysa's exile ability for pinpoint removal, which helps deal with creatures I don't want to hit the yard, or don't want recurred, but also is a more political move. Pact effects negate Teysa's ability, since the Pact trigger resolves first.

Haruspex I had been considering, but I felt like I was sacrificing many more tokens than creatures, and it doesn't replace itself. Still, it's a decent add, and I'll consider it. Pitiless Plunderer I've been considering, but I feel like I've had more games where I had mana I didn't know what to do with than I have games where I needed a few more mana in a given turn. Yes, it sort of doubles as a backup Phyrexian Altar (with another free sac outlet), but I don't know what I would cut for it if I did decide to add it.
Ha, not wanting to build combo is totally reasonable. Honestly, I much prefer the games I win via sacrifice engines and aristocrats nonsense over the games I win via combo. My issue has been similar to yours - it's very difficult to assemble the right set of cards. More specifically, if feels like as soon as I start to get set up, an opponent will break things apart, and it takes several turns before I can get things going again (which is usually too slow). In particular, I feel like my sac outlets have an average lifespan of around one turn cycle, which is pretty bad. So, over time, I've leaned harder into combo as a way to speed things up.

Re: Darkest Hour specifically, I don't actually think it's that offensive. I generally hate one and two-card combos, but my experience is that DH is almost always a four or five card combo - you need Teysa, DH, a sac outlet, a payoff, and some other creature to sacrifice, which is surprisingly difficult. The main attraction is that at only one mana, DH is really cheap to deploy.

I'm usually not a big fan of Teysa's exile ability, but it sounds like you have had a different experience with it. 3-for-1ing myself is usually painful, and I would rather use my tokens for other uses. I do agree that there is some tension between her ability and Grave Pact though.

Midnight Reaper may also be worth looking at as an alternative to Haruspex. My Teysa deck has a Human subtheme (and less lifegain), so I favor Haruspex, but the reverse may be true for you.

Cards I'll suggest cutting:
Necrotic Sliver
Serra Ascendant
Suture Priest
Revival // Revenge
Obzedat's Aid
Debtor's Knell
Diabolic Tutor

yeti1069

The 3-for-1 issue with her ability was why I had built so heavily on tokens, especially incidental ones (on played trigger, or death trigger), since tokens aren't of that much value. Sometimes I've been in a bind where I can't afford her ability, but when the deck is working, I've enjoyed it as a political tool, and a repeatable spot removal.

I had skipped Haruspex and Reaper because I was focused so much on sacrificing tokens, but if I move back to some more creature cards that I'm saccing, then I might bring these in.

Diabolic Tutor was supposed to be Diabolic Intent.

Darkest Hour I feel doesn't do much on it's own, and turns off Teysa's removal ability, whereas Painter's Servant can do the same thing, while also keeping her ability active.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”