Help me find the right +1/+1 commander

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 1 year ago

So for a while I had a pile of cards set aside to be an Atraxa deck, but I think I've held back on actually building it because Atraxa is so (rightfully) hated on. That got me thinking about who else could help the deck. I definitely want it in Bant colors at least, due to all the cards I'd like to include. Having black as well would allow for a few other inclusions, but they aren't necessary, so I don't NEED 4 colors.

I had a handful of noncreature cards that would have really liked the proliferate synergies from Atraxa that looked fun, and would have liked to include those, but again, I can live without them.

I was thinking Falco Spara, but that looks like a different sort of deck,maybe. Less build up a +1/+1 counter army and more find ways to get counters of any kind out there, but it might be worth trying.

Suggestions appreciated, especially with why you favor your choice.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

@3drinks got your back here viewtopic.php?p=232992#p232992

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I really liked the idea of Perrie, the Pulverizer. You can play all sorts of obscure cards like Icatian Moneychanger, Mercadian Lift, Iceberg, and Coral Reef to bump up the attack trigger, then use the obscurity of your cards to generate unforeseen value!

If you're set on a +1/+1 focus though, Falco really is quite good. Cards like Evolutionary Escalation %$#% out counters really quickly, and a future sight with evasion and trample in the CZ is a very nice payoff for doing so. I'll also shout out Denry Klin, Editor in Chief, who plays a lot better than he looks. His second ability triggers off himself entering the battlefield, so he always gets 2 counters at base level. However if he ever gets any more from an outside source, he'll quickly turn even the lowliest of goons into a massive beat stick.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

yeti1069

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
@3drinks got your back here viewtopic.php?p=232992#p232992
Not sure what you're directing me to here, specifically.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I really liked the idea of Perrie, the Pulverizer. You can play all sorts of obscure cards like Icatian Moneychanger, Mercadian Lift, Iceberg, and Coral Reef to bump up the attack trigger, then use the obscurity of your cards to generate unforeseen value!

If you're set on a +1/+1 focus though, Falco really is quite good. Cards like Evolutionary Escalation %$#% out counters really quickly, and a future sight with evasion and trample in the CZ is a very nice payoff for doing so. I'll also shout out Denry Klin, Editor in Chief, who plays a lot better than he looks. His second ability triggers off himself entering the battlefield, so he always gets 2 counters at base level. However if he ever gets any more from an outside source, he'll quickly turn even the lowliest of goons into a massive beat stick.
I'm leaning away from Voltron as the primary strategy a bit, since the LGS I've been playing at lately has some anti-Voltron (and combo, and storm, and extra turn) rules: commander damage is ONLY tracked using the creature's base damage--buffs don't count. LAME.

Denry is better than I'd realized. That's a pretty big upgrade over Master Biomancer.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

If you want Bant with black, I say Reyhan, Last of the Abzan and Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker. Ishai is kinda lame, but Reyhan is amazing.
It goes infinite like a lot of these +1/+1 counter decks, but you don't need to do that. Just play Cackling Counterpart targeting Reyhan and you made yourself 6 counters to send around. But if you have a Doubling Season in play, you just made 72 counters to send around.
There are a lot of fun things to do with Reyhan.
I put 96 counters on a Sage of Hours once.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago
Not sure what you're directing me to here, specifically.
The current community build a deck has a pretty unique and fun spin on counters

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Ghave, Guru of Spores is a hoot. Probably not as hated as Atraxa, but even if you leave out the numerous infinite combos with this fun guy you should have a massive amount of +1/+1 counters and tokens to keep up with. A real bookkeeping nightmare.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I suggest Tayam, Luminous Enigma . In a similar vein to Ghave but more of a toolbox commander than Ghave purely for having to run a more specific shell than Ghavw to combo.

I've covered quite a bit of ground in what the deck can do myself with toolbox variation, reanimator, stax and combo variations over the last little bit. Its quite a fun build whichever way you go.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

yeti1069

I appreciate the suggestions, but I definitely want Bant colors at least. Adding black to that would be good, but I don't really want to do Abzan as the base. Too many Simic +1/+1 cards I want to include.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”