Show
Hide

The Deck

Yarok-amonicon

//Commander (1):

//Enchantments (4):

Approximate Total Cost:

Card Analysis

While there are many options for cards that could be included in a deck, there is only room for 100. In the spoiler below, I will give a card-by-card explanation as to why I specifically chose to have a certain card in in the deck.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Yarok's Fen

This is the section in which I will list the cards that either used to be in the deck, or am considering trying out. I tend to swap these out frequently when I want to try something different.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Yarok's Fen
Approximate Total Cost:

Strategy

1) Mulligans:

2) Early Game:

3) Mid Game:

4) Late Game:

Weaknesses of Yarok

1) ETB Hate Cards: The main theme of the deck is Enters the Battlefield (ETB) effects. Most of our creatures have an ETB effect that helps us in some way, so if those get shut off, we have a hard time of winning. Even parts of our combo rely on our creatures entering the battlefield. So, some of the cards we need to look out for are:
2) Graveyard Hate: The second, smaller subtheme of the deck is reanimator/graveyard based, so we heavily rely on the graveyard as a second library of sorts. Therefore, any card that prevents interaction with the graveyard will hinder us severely. The following cards are a few examples of very problematic cards:
These are only a few of the many graveyard hate cards in the game. Any of them are bad for us so if we can get rid of them, we should prioritize that.

3) Hexproof/Shroud: Another problem we will run into is anything that has or can grant Hexproof/Shroud. A lot of our ETB creatures interact by targeting. If we can't target our opponent's stuff, then we may end up targeting ours if they are legal targets, and we don't want that happening.

Combos

Changelog

SPOILER
Show
Hide
7/12/19:

OUT:
Dimir House Guard
Forest
Nim Deathmantle
Rampant Growth
Springbloom Druid
Wake the Dead
Yarok's Fenlurker

IN:
Agent of Treachery
Eldritch Evolution
Entomb
Field of the Dead
Neoform
Spellseeker
Treachery

Made some changes to the deck after doing some testing. Neoform/Eldritch Evolution are awesome tutors that put the creature directly to the battlefield to immediately get an effect. The Treachery were also added to steal other people's things. Spellseeker and Entomb were added to go alongside Reanimate. Field of the Dead is just good with Yarok.

I took out cards that seemed to have a relatively low impact in games I've played.

========================================

7/22/19:

OUT:
Animate Dead
Dance of the Dead
Displace
Duplicant
Expedition Map
Farhaven Elf
Hostage Taker
Island
Meteor Golem
Phyrexian Tower
Progenitor Mimic
Thespian's Stage
Villainous Wealth
Yawgmoth's Will

IN:
Dryad Arbor
Exhume
Finale of Devastation
Forest x2
Golgari Findbroker
Green Sun's Zenith
Krosan Grip
Lotus Cobra
Sakashima the Imposter
Sower of Temptation
Tatyova, Benthic Druid
Thrashing Brontodon
Woodfall Primus

Making a few more changes to the list after some playtesting over the weekend.

For the additions, I added Thrashing Brontodon and Krosan Grip as a way of dealing mainly with Torpor Orb. Sakashima can act as another Yarok. Added some more creature tutors, and more ETB creatures.
Last edited by Guerte 4 years ago, edited 12 times in total.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color
Daretti Primer Omnath Yarok
Gonti Primer Ezuri Aminatou

BroSelvala
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BroSelvala » 4 years ago

I definitely recommend running Treachery. Absolutely bonkers with Yarok on the field and of course quite good even without. The new Agent of Treachery isn’t bad either.

Another fun piece of tech is Wild Pair. Kind of under the afar card but it can definitely be abused in Yarok.

Guerte

Post by Guerte » 4 years ago

BroSelvala wrote:
4 years ago
I definitely recommend running Treachery. Absolutely bonkers with Yarok on the field and of course quite good even without. The new Agent of Treachery isn’t bad either.

Another fun piece of tech is Wild Pair. Kind of under the afar card but it can definitely be abused in Yarok.
Thanks for the suggestions! Both of those are actually on my short list of things to try out, although I’m a little hesitant on the Agent due to its high cost, and I already have a few at that cmc. But it could be really great.

Any suggestions as far as cuts go? When I get some time, I’ll list the stuff I am currently considering trying out.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color

BroSelvala

Post by BroSelvala » 4 years ago

I’d cut Yarok’s Fenlurker first. I think it’s just kind of meh. I’d rather a ETB effect that has a board impact.

Guerte

BroSelvala wrote:
4 years ago
I’d cut Yarok’s Fenlurker first. I think it’s just kind of meh. I’d rather a ETB effect that has a board impact.
That's probably a good consideration for cut. I had Mesmeric Fiend and Thought-Knot Seer in the initial list, but cut them, so I feel like this is also a safe cut.

I've also added a separate section for cards I am thinking about trying out.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color

Guerte

7/12/19:

OUT:
Dimir House Guard
Forest
Nim Deathmantle
Rampant Growth
Springbloom Druid
Wake the Dead
Yarok’s Fenlurker

IN:
Agent of Treachery
Eldritch Evolution
Entomb
Field of the Dead
Neoform
Spellseeker
Treachery

Made some changes to the deck after doing some testing. Neoform/Eldritch Evolution are awesome tutors that put the creature directly to the battlefield to immediately get an effect. The Treachery were also added to steal other people's things. Spellseeker and Entomb were added to go alongside Reanimate. Field of the Dead is just good with Yarok.

I took out cards that seemed to have a relatively low impact in games I've played.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color

Guerte

7/22/19:

OUT:
Animate Dead
Dance of the Dead
Displace
Duplicant
Expedition Map
Farhaven Elf
Hostage Taker
Island
Meteor Golem
Phyrexian Tower
Progenitor Mimic
Thespian's Stage
Villainous Wealth
Yawgmoth's Will

IN:
Dryad Arbor
Exhume
Finale of Devastation
Forest x2
Golgari Findbroker
Green Sun's Zenith
Krosan Grip
Lotus Cobra
Sakashima the Imposter
Sower of Temptation
Tatyova, Benthic Druid
Thrashing Brontodon
Woodfall Primus

Making a few more changes to the list after some playtesting over the weekend.

For the additions, I added Thrashing Brontodon and Krosan Grip as a way of dealing mainly with Torpor Orb. Sakashima can act as another Yarok. Added some more creature tutors, and more ETB creatures.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”