Nissa's Spanish Inquisition!

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

Out of the new Commander Legends spoilers I think you might've overlooked Monstrous Onslaught as far as noncombat damage goes since it doesn't deal direct damage to players like Squall Line and Hurricane does. Scroll Rack does seem like it would work really well with Nissa, Sage Animist's +1 ability so it's definitely worth testing. Don't forget, Rings of Brighthearth can also copy Planeswalker abilities which might actually fare better with Nissa, Sage Animist than Scroll Rack being a mana sink and all. You can even copy Temur Sabertooth and Kogla, the Titan Ape's activated abilities multiple times as well.

Apex Devastator I think is too good to pass up due to the amount of value he provides which is the closest thing to Genesis Wave without actually being Genesis Wave. My Nissa build is more fine tuned to be combo centric with stuff like The Great Henge with Greater Good and Woodfall Primus for limitless draw and spot removal. I'm currently testing Vengevine as a draw engine with Greater Good so I'll see how that pans out later. I also added more cards to help "tutor" for my combo pieces easier such as Ancient Stirrings, Bond of Flourishing, and of course Tooth and Nail.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Tags:

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Out of the new Commander Legends spoilers I think you might've overlooked Monstrous Onslaught as far as noncombat damage goes since it doesn't deal direct damage to players like Squall Line and Hurricane does. Scroll Rack does seem like it would work really well with Nissa, Sage Animist's +1 ability so it's definitely worth testing. Don't forget, Rings of Brighthearth can also copy Planeswalker abilities which might actually fare better with Nissa, Sage Animist than Scroll Rack being a mana sink and all. You can even copy Temur Sabertooth and Kogla, the Titan Ape's activated abilities multiple times as well.

Apex Devastator I think is too good to pass up due to the amount of value he provides which is the closest thing to Genesis Wave without actually being Genesis Wave. My Nissa build is more fine tuned to be combo centric with stuff like The Great Henge with Greater Good and Woodfall Primus for limitless draw and spot removal. I'm currently testing Vengevine as a draw engine with Greater Good so I'll see how that pans out later. I also added more cards to help "tutor" for my combo pieces easier such as Ancient Stirrings, Bond of Flourishing, and of course Tooth and Nail.
Monstrous Onslaught is a reprint, I believe - from the flavour text it looks like from Kaladesh block. It's pretty good I guess, although it does rely on having a fatty on board. Ideally it seems like you'd want something 5-6 power or higher in play to get parity with it. Seems alright, although I think by preference I'd prefer this sort of thing cost less to cast where possible. Khalni Ambush // Khalni Territory seems like a good middle ground, but I guess I can try some things out and see where we end up. Generally these days I find it more useful to take out a small utility piece over a beater, so there's that too.

Apex Devastator is cool, I just worry I won't get the value I need from it, and it really is only exceptional on the stack - with cascade, it must be cast to trigger. So I can't Chord, Finale or Zenith it into play as anything more than a 10/10 vanilla fatty. Which isn't nothing, but its missing all of the trimmings, all of the gravy and the dessert from the meal. I think it's great in some places, I just don't think this is the place for it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
snip
I am curious. I read your set review, but one of the things I might be misunderstanding is that eventually you aim to set up a damage prevention lock, correct? (Glacial Chasm or fog lock, etc. ). If this is the case, then I should think that court of bounty or more specifically Dawnglade Regent should be a natural addition? Has any thought been given to trying it? I am probably going to replace Asceticism in my yeva build with it.

toctheyounger

weltkrieg wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
snip
I am curious. I read your set review, but one of the things I might be misunderstanding is that eventually you aim to set up a damage prevention lock, correct? (Glacial Chasm or fog lock, etc. ). If this is the case, then I should think that court of bounty or more specifically Dawnglade Regent should be a natural addition? Has any thought been given to trying it? I am probably going to replace Asceticism in my yeva build with it.
I was tempted by regent in all honesty. If nothing else it also gives me a nice way to protect some of the walkers I run, as well as Nyxbloom Ancient which is a walking win condition and generally a kill on sight card (and rightly so).

The Chasm soft lock is kind of my 'this game needs to end' scenario. It's not the most fun way to end a game, so if I can do other stuff instead I would prefer to, but when you need to chasm its pretty nice to have protection for it. As well as that, being able to blink the elk to keep the crown is pretty cool too. I think it'd be a cool add.

aslidsiksoraksi

Post by aslidsiksoraksi » 3 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm aslidsiksoraksi, I wrote the Nissa primer on MTGSalvation (ages ago and it was a quite different deck than this one - no creatures really).

I was wondering if anyone is jamming this deck but with less of the creature element? The primer list and the thread discussion seemed to have a kind of creature-control idea, but I wanted to go more into fog-locks, lands-y stuff, and maybe an enchantress package. Always been attracted to the idea of not relying on creatures in the deck.

Still working on drafting a list but I'm excited! My last playgroup frowned on any locks so although I loved the deck I had to shelve it. But my new playgroup plays virtually cEDH and while I'm not sure Nissa can hang I'm excited to play her at max power.

PS my apologies for going AWOL on the primer over on MTGS :(

EDIT - built a list https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nissa-m ... n-control/

toctheyounger

aslidsiksoraksi wrote:
3 years ago
Hey everyone! I'm aslidsiksoraksi, I wrote the Nissa primer on MTGSalvation (ages ago and it was a quite different deck than this one - no creatures really).

I was wondering if anyone is jamming this deck but with less of the creature element? The primer list and the thread discussion seemed to have a kind of creature-control idea, but I wanted to go more into fog-locks, lands-y stuff, and maybe an enchantress package. Always been attracted to the idea of not relying on creatures in the deck.

Still working on drafting a list but I'm excited! My last playgroup frowned on any locks so although I loved the deck I had to shelve it. But my new playgroup plays virtually cEDH and while I'm not sure Nissa can hang I'm excited to play her at max power.

PS my apologies for going AWOL on the primer over on MTGS :(

EDIT - built a list https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nissa-m ... n-control/
Holy crap! Welcome back, it's been a long time, very glad to see you back though :)

I think there's a few folk that frequent this thread that are going more into the creature sparse area. I still really like the concept myself while acknowledging that my list is pretty standard stuff for mono green. There's a few weirder win conditions, but otherwise it definitely plays to the strengths of the colour.

I generally only pull the deck out for more hardball games myself these days. I can roll with a more casual game and get a bit more political but it does feel like driving a car on the motorway in 3rd gear. You're doing alright, but it just wants to go faster.

Good to see you've kept the list recent, and somehow I missed the fact that Dawnstrider exists. That could get in my list tbh.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 3 years ago

Good to see you @aslidsiksoraksi! Remember you with fondness :)

I havn't really played much with my mono-green control lately, but I still update once in a while. It's certainly less creature oriented then Toc's, but I think more creatures have been added over the years. You are welcome to see my list here: https://deckbox.org/sets/1053352

If you remember, I started off with Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, but you made me switch. But I still look back sometimes and maybe the last couple of years has given us some new toys to make a mono green lands build possible. I think there could be some great stuff to explore here.

aslidsiksoraksi

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Holy crap! Welcome back, it's been a long time, very glad to see you back though :)

I think there's a few folk that frequent this thread that are going more into the creature sparse area. I still really like the concept myself while acknowledging that my list is pretty standard stuff for mono green. There's a few weirder win conditions, but otherwise it definitely plays to the strengths of the colour.

I generally only pull the deck out for more hardball games myself these days. I can roll with a more casual game and get a bit more political but it does feel like driving a car on the motorway in 3rd gear. You're doing alright, but it just wants to go faster.

Good to see you've kept the list recent, and somehow I missed the fact that Dawnstrider exists. That could get in my list tbh.
Thank you, I'm glad to be back! This deck was always my favorite even when I couldn't really play it; ended up moving to playing Lands in Legacy so I could still chasm-lock people and wasteland them out of games XD and of course bad-sea-creatures tribal for the casual EDH games, haha

Makes sense to lean creature-heavy, and the cool stuff with War Pride definitely caught my attention. It's definitely just a personal preference thing.

Glad to hear Nissa can hang with the hardballs, I'm excited to try it out.
rogerandover wrote:
3 years ago
Good to see you @aslidsiksoraksi! Remember you with fondness :)

I havn't really played much with my mono-green control lately, but I still update once in a while. It's certainly less creature oriented then Toc's, but I think more creatures have been added over the years. You are welcome to see my list here: <a class="vglnk" href="https://deckbox.org/sets/1053352" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>deckbox</span><span>.</span><span>org</span><span>/</span><span>sets</span><span>/</span><span>1053352</span></a>

If you remember, I started off with Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, but you made me switch. But I still look back sometimes and maybe the last couple of years has given us some new toys to make a mono green lands build possible. I think there could be some great stuff to explore here.
Thanks! When I went back to the old thread your jester's cap avatar brought a nostalgic smile to my face :)

Like the list, might have to get an Empyrion in my list too. We've gotten a ton of new stuff, I think monogreen lands could definitely work. At least, I'm gonna try to make it happen.

Some general questions -
- how many green sources do y'all usually play? When I finished my list I had a TON of colorless lands but still like 25-30 green sources so I figured it was ok...
- has anyone had any luck recently with Freyalise's Winds? Seems like a nice prison piece and the Wild Growth effects can get around it kind of smoothly
- Similar question but Realms Uncharted

I'm sure I'll have more but thanks for the warm welcome and love what you've done with the primer!

toctheyounger

aslidsiksoraksi wrote:
3 years ago
Some general questions -
- how many green sources do y'all usually play? When I finished my list I had a TON of colorless lands but still like 25-30 green sources so I figured it was ok...
- has anyone had any luck recently with Freyalise's Winds? Seems like a nice prison piece and the Wild Growth effects can get around it kind of smoothly
- Similar question but Realms Uncharted
- I ran Realms Uncharted for quite a while, and its pretty great. People almost always choose the wrong thing, and either way you're bringing your chase lands to where you can get at them one way or another. Its a solid add, and being instant speed makes it pretty great.
- I run around 19-20 basics I believe, purely because my ramp usually only picks up basics, and because Collective Voyage needs to be worth it. I could probably chop it down, but there's nothing I desperately want to add so I'll probably keep it that way for now. Maybe some of the MDFC lands would be nice.
- Freyalise's Winds I haven't run myself, but it looks pretty awesome, not gonna lie. Whether you go full prison or not it seems pretty great for forcing control decks to be really careful as to what they spend their permission spells on.

As a side note, how great is Nesting Grounds for all of your cumulative upkeep pieces? That's just really nice quality of life being able to keep your costs down.

aslidsiksoraksi

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
- I ran Realms Uncharted for quite a while, and its pretty great. People almost always choose the wrong thing, and either way you're bringing your chase lands to where you can get at them one way or another. Its a solid add, and being instant speed makes it pretty great.
- I run around 19-20 basics I believe, purely because my ramp usually only picks up basics, and because Collective Voyage needs to be worth it. I could probably chop it down, but there's nothing I desperately want to add so I'll probably keep it that way for now. Maybe some of the MDFC lands would be nice.
- Freyalise's Winds I haven't run myself, but it looks pretty awesome, not gonna lie. Whether you go full prison or not it seems pretty great for forcing control decks to be really careful as to what they spend their permission spells on.

As a side note, how great is Nesting Grounds for all of your cumulative upkeep pieces? That's just really nice quality of life being able to keep your costs down.
Nice! Yeah I always thought Realms Uncharted looked like a blast, def gonna find a spot for it. And I love the winds too.

I think I remember roger using Power Conduit to move counters around like that. Not sure I'm sold on the conduit but on a land... seems useful. Another one to include. Now if only I could play Tornado alongside it...

Noticed a lot of lists with things like Collector Ouphe and Null Rod - is that pretty standard these days? Artifacts have only gotten better so I wouldn't be surprised

toctheyounger

aslidsiksoraksi wrote:
3 years ago
Noticed a lot of lists with things like Collector Ouphe and Null Rod - is that pretty standard these days? Artifacts have only gotten better so I wouldn't be surprised
In cEDH lists I'd say so. I've never had the rod played against me, and I've seen the ouphe once only. I'm not sure they fit in my list, purely for some of my other gadgets (Mirage Mirror being the foremost, and it's SO much fun). Which is fine by me, Null Rod is hella expensive.

rogerandover

@aslidsiksoraksi haha, I think I have to update my profile soon :)

I have 25 sources that tap for . Never think I've been in trouble with that amount.

I have a soft spot for Freyalise's Winds, but I've only found room for it in my janky saproling deck, that tries to lock the game down while Vorel of the Hull Clade add spore counters exponentially. People surely moans when it hits, but being symmetrical makes it hard to work around if you want to do stuff while it's active.

Realms Uncharted is SO great. Even though I only play Ramunap Excavator to get lands back from the grave, theres plenty of other stuff that can bring them back too, so I never worry much about what goes into the grave.

Collector Ouphe is a card I like very much. It just wrecks some decks, especially those that play unfair. Don't think I'm ever going to cut him :) Easy to tutor for. Think I did cut Titania's Song for it. Null Rod could be good too, but it's hard to find and I still have a couple of artifacts in the deck, that I'd like to activate. Yeah, Power Conduit is still in, even it might be the most clunky piece of cardboard I own. But it makes Tornado so brutal and can hardlock with Glacial Chasm. And yeah, I have also put in Nesting Grounds, though I don't think I've played with it yet.

rogerandover

And @aslidsiksoraksi, let me know if you start brewing some mono green lands abomination, then I want to join in :)

Happy new year, y'll!

aslidsiksoraksi

rogerandover wrote:
3 years ago
And @aslidsiksoraksi, let me know if you start brewing some mono green lands abomination, then I want to join in :)

Happy new year, y'll!
Happy New Year MGC Family!!

Here's my lands/enchantress pile - https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nissa-m ... 1609537781

Not sure if it's worth going into enchantress at all... and I want to find room for GSZ and Ouphe.

Also I should probably be playing Azusa and Oracle of Mul Daya.

I could go snow for Mouth of Ronom but snow basics are so boring -_-

Lmk what to cut?

Feels a bit like cutting the enchantress package would free up about 7 slots and let me include all the other fancy stuff (could even play the true prison stuff like Choke). But then how do we draw cards...?

Also on the chopping block could be Early Harvest|Mirage since we don't have THAT many basics. I just love the art/flavor text of the Mirage version. Primal Command could easily be the GSZ we want since at the moment it's basically slow & flexible version of the same.

weltkrieg

That is an interesting pile. I like enchantress, but I don't think a lands deck is the way to go unless you're more willing to run stax pieces such as Titania's Song . It has some dis-synergy, but you only run 4 artifacts one of which seems rather incompatible with your list anyway.

Why is caged sun in here? You're a green deck, so I would run green enchantments. In particular, it has zero synergy with Ritual of Subdual which is one of the MEANEST soft locks you can have. I would replace it with Vernal Bloom . Your forests may tap for colorless, but vernal bloom will still add green whereas your caged sun will leave you hanging. Similarly, I like fertile ground, overgrowth, etc. since they likewise add the mana. However, weirding wood is bad synergy because the enchantment grants the ability to the land, mean it is shut off by things like your own ritual of subdual or damping sphere (happens often enough in my metas). For that matter, you could use damping sphere yourself if you built for it.

Freyalise's winds is a powerful enchantment. However, it is best if you can break the symmetry. I run it in my yeva build, but my engine is to go for yeva and Seedborn Muse . With that and some form of card draw down, very quickly I go nuclear (please note that I am a creature/enchantress build myself). Freyalise's winds does stop me from playing on my turn, but not on theirs! Makes for a nice hit with Arboria , which is an enchantment I also run. I don't think this would work in your deck however.

Night soil is grave hate, but it's restrictive. I see very few times where you will hit too many creatures. You'd really be better off with Scavenging Ooze in this slot.

If you do stick with the enchantment/damage prevention plan, I would consider:

Elderscale Wurm
Platinum Emperion
Primal Order
Squallmonger
Ifh-Bíff Efreet

This should allow for some additional consistency. In a similar vein, there are some good monarch cards you can run. There are several ways to prevent you from receiving damage, so why not benefit from it?

Please note that everything I suggested or asked about is very rough. I would have considered landfall, but almost all the landfall does is make creatures or make mana or make creatures bigger in green. There is some little life gain you could consider in Retreat to Kazandu and Lifegift , but I don't know if it's reasonable to run for you depending on what your goal is.

Edit: Since your goal seems to be drawing cards if you cut the enchantress package, then you could consider:

Tireless Tracker
Endless Atlas
Horn of Greed
Nantuko Cultivator
Seer's Sundial

Many of these are bad with collector ouphe or titania's song, however.

aslidsiksoraksi

Thanks for the feedback @weltkrieg!

I'm definitely willing to run stax pieces; stax is kind of my jam and Nissa, Vastwood Seer // Nissa, Sage Animist kinda works well with stax stuff because she adds permanents to the battlefield, generates mana, etc.

The point on Caged Sun is well taken. My original thinking was that I don't run that many forests for Vernal Bloom so I wanted a mana doubler that would more effectively actually double the mana. But I had missed the interaction between bloom and Ritual of Subdual, that really puts it over the top and also bloom being a 4cmc enchantment vs a 6 cmc artifact makes it kind of a no-brainer.

Missed that Weirding Wood doesn't work with Ritual of Subdual :( might cut it then or maybe leave it since it is kind of ramp? probably not worth it though to be honest

Like you say, I don't think Arboria would work here - I want to be playing a lot of lands. I think Freyalise's Winds should work at least ok for us though; Nissa's getting extra land drops down helps get around it and draw cards to generate advantage under it. It does make Seedborn Muse look a lot better, but I don't have that many instants to make the muse work with the rest of the deck...

Monarch is a good idea I had not considered. I imagine Court of Bounty would be a natural fit for the deck.

rogerandover

Okay, just started brewing yesterday, and the deck kind of build itself. It uses Kamahl, Fist of Krosa as a wincon in the CZ, then ramp as freaking many lands into play that you possible can. Not sure yet how many lands I want to play, but it's above 40.

This was from my first goldfishing. By turn 8, I had 1931 damage to deal. A Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx made 63 off of Nyxbloom Ancient. By no means oppressive, but I think it will be cable of some explosive plays. That last turn, I had put in 10 forest with Baru, Fist of Krosa in play. Played both Natural Affinity and Rude Awakening :) A 83/82 Tireless Tracker.

Will share a list sometime in th future :)

toctheyounger

rogerandover wrote:
3 years ago
Okay, just started brewing yesterday, and the deck kind of build itself. It uses Kamahl, Fist of Krosa as a wincon in the CZ, then ramp as freaking many lands into play that you possible can. Not sure yet how many lands I want to play, but it's above 40.

This was from my first goldfishing. By turn 8, I had 1931 damage to deal. A Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx made 63 off of Nyxbloom Ancient. By no means oppressive, but I think it will be cable of some explosive plays. That last turn, I had put in 10 forest with Baru, Fist of Krosa in play. Played both Natural Affinity and Rude Awakening :) A 83/82 Tireless Tracker.

Will share a list sometime in th future :)
I love Baru so much, he's nuts.

While I haven't playtested, Ashaya, Soul of the Wild seems like a reasonable inclusion too. Your creatures turn into dorks and ramp you further a lá Earthcraft, and push up your 'p/t equal to the number of lands you control' stats as well as comboing nicely with any Early Harvest variants you might run.

aslidsiksoraksi

hahaha I love it @rogerandover that sounds bananas

Managed to get a couple games in with mine over the weekend, won both of them. Deck did exactly what it was supposed to - messed up opposing mana and used Nissa to slowly gain advantage as the turns ticked by. A big part of that is The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale though; card won me both games (tutored for it). I'm lucky that I bought one a while back to play Lands in Legacy, pretty sure without it it's a lot harder to devour opposing mana. With it you can get to a point where your opponents spend all their mana to keep creatures that you just fog anyway.... delicious.

Also if y'all haven't done Strip Mine + Crucible of Worlds + Exploration... it's just :love: :love:

Walking Ballista was also pretty impressive. The enchantress stuff didn't really ever get to firing off, but I'll keep it for now.

Gonna make a few small changes like adding in Dryad Arbor and Ancient Tomb, cutting some of the less exciting stuff. I found that in more competitive circles I can't really go around slamming 7-mana cards that don't effect the board so Zendikar Resurgent is also coming out. (Vernal Bloom was great though, good looking out @weltkrieg).

Still considering cutting a few enchantresses for more tutors and lands-y stuff but we'll see, 2 games ain't much info really. To call it a lands deck but not having Oracle of Mul Daya or Azusa, Lost but Seeking or Dryad of the Ilysian Grove is probably not right :shhh:

current list https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nissa-m ... 1610000130

toctheyounger

Kaldheim Set Review

Spoiler season is upon us once again. Being at least a little behind in terms of picking up necessaries for the deck I'm not super hyped for anything I've seen thus far, but writing these up is sort of like a deep dive anyway, so let's see what we've got.

Artifacts/Colorless/Lands

• Honestly, there's pretty scant offerings here for us. Most of the creatures play on the changeling theme which is strong in particular places, this just isn't one of them.

Green

• In Search of Greatness - Holy moly. This is pretty damn bonkers, and honestly without even looking at my curve it's probably worth it. It means relying less on huge mana and early ramp, and for this CMC even if it is just a scry effect that's super good. I'd really like to add it in.
  • Kolvori, God of Kinship // The Ringhart Crest - It's just a bit weird to really fit well.
  • Toski, Bearer of Secrets - Mono green Edric, Spymaster of Trest is nuts, pun intended. I don't know for sure it fits here, but this deck does combat well so I think its worth a try.
  • Battle Mammoth - Its pretty darn good. I like it, I just don't think it adds anything spectacular in a format more rife with board wipes than spot removal.
  • Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider - Yeah, I mean what's there to say? It's disgustingly strong, as you would expect. I don't think it adds enough to my tactics to really warrant a slot. Most of our walkers we're not all that interested in ultimating (or have little trouble doing so), so it comes down to whether counters/superfriends is a part of your meta or not. For me, I'm ok with it not being here.

All in all, a fairly small list to look at trialing, This wasn't really Nissa's set, or at least not this version of her build. Going into elfball is a different story altogether, but that's neither here nor there.

rogerandover

Yeah, I didn't see anything for Nissa myself. Which is fine for me, since there have been so many new cards coming out lately.

I'm not so sure about In Search of Greatness, I mean, it's pretty inflexible. Once you played out a fatty, it's a scry 1 at upkeep, which isn't that great.

Toski, Bearer of Secrets is cute for sure, but I'm not sure if Ohran Frostfang is better or if you'd want both in a deck that utilies on creature attacks.

toctheyounger

rogerandover wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, I didn't see anything for Nissa myself. Which is fine for me, since there have been so many new cards coming out lately.

I'm not so sure about In Search of Greatness, I mean, it's pretty inflexible. Once you played out a fatty, it's a scry 1 at upkeep, which isn't that great.

Toski, Bearer of Secrets is cute for sure, but I'm not sure if Ohran Frostfang is better or if you'd want both in a deck that utilies on creature attacks.
Agreed, the product fatigue is real, being absolutely honest. At some point it has to let up, it's just exhausting and unsustainable!

Greatness counts permanents, not just creatures, so there's that. It is the sort of card that probably needs to be mapped out as to whether it's worth adding or not, in terms of overall curve and what pieces you're aiming for. I think it could be pretty crazy though. The scry 1 is fairly insubstantial, yes, but it does help with Nissa upticks, so it's not nothing. Honestly, I think I'll just see where the price falls and go from there,

Toski, Bearer of Secrets I kind of just like as a neat card. I'm not supremely sure it fits well here and I'd probably need a few games in to see how well I fare in combat, but that's probably not going to happen in the next few days. I think it's very much the same as above, just see if I can afford it and go from there.

weltkrieg

Personally, I don't think that most of these cards add anything new to Nissa. However, I do believe In Search of Greatness is better read as a 2 mana enchantment that says "scry 1 every upkeep." A lot of people play Lifecrafter's Bestiary as a source of scry. I personally run Preferred Selection as an additional Mirri's Guile / Sylvan Library . Having additional 2 mana option available in green that doesn't likely paint a target on your head is something I look forward to. Others have already identified that the free cast won't happen too often. That said, I mostly play creature/enchantress in my yeva build.

toctheyounger

Yeah Mirri's Guile would definitely be preferable, but it's not easy to find to be honest. I'd scrape together the cash for it somehow, I just haven't seen it in my LGSes thus far.

ISOG I think is fine, I don't think it'll be an absolute killer (here, at least). Its probably the best of what's available to this deck for updating, but it's not really a surefire add.

toctheyounger

Set Review

Well it's been a while between games, between posts, and WotC definitely has the jump on me for product release. With how busy life is I definitely can't keep up with the pace of releases, but that's ok - not every set has pieces I want, so I'm fine with picking and choosing. At any rate, let's run through the latest offering.

Artifacts/Colorless/Lands

• Wandering Archaic // Explore the Vastlands - I think it's a great card. I'm not sure it belongs here, but it is pretty stellar. I'm probably going to grab a copy to trial, but it remains to be seen where it ends up.
  • The Biblioplex - I just don't think there's any really special synergy with the deck here.
  • Archaeomancer's Map - So, Cultivate (sort of) and Burgeoning (sort of) on one card for white? Yeah, I'll give this a go. Great with Land Tax, and while I usually outlandcount (it's a word now) the table, this oughta give some consistency. If you can manage to crack it somehow it's also Sun Titanable which is fantastic.
  • Witch's Clinic - I like it and think it's a cool card, but it probably isn't needed here.
  • Study Hall - I see no major reason not to run this, it's fairly good utility.

Green

• Ecological Appreciation - It's pretty close to amazing. Having an opponent choose what stays and goes really hammers it hard though. I try fairly hard to keep any combo to a 3-4 card mix where possible, so being able to just sink mana in and grab a combo is...strong. Probably not the most fun though. And having to reveal really just means your opponents can split up your combo and make it a waste of time altogether.
  • Exponential Growth - Y'all know we'd be casting this on the goat, right? Honestly though, I won't run this with literally just the one use for it.
  • Healing Technique - I quite like this. I don't know that it's a lock, but it's pretty powerful even as a one-time effect.

On close inspection I really don't see anything that really excites me in these releases. That goes for not just this deck, but most of my others, too. That's good though, because my wallet only goes so deep. In other news I finally got to pick up some orders from my LGS, like 2 months after ordering them, so I'll actually be able to update the list shortly. Kind of exciting, it's a step closer to actually playing a game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”