Nissa's Spanish Inquisition!

druem
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by druem » 2 years ago

Hey everyone. I have been playing a version of mono g enchantment control for almost 2 years now. I originally was inspired by the nissa primer on mtgsalvation. i have since changed the commander from nissa to gilanra and kodama partners. MH2 is bringing a whole new wave of cards to the deck and i am excited to update the deck when it releases. any advice or feedback on my build is appreciated.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/2gv1bWLdikaQ__DcNmu4YQ

Tags:

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

druem wrote:
2 years ago
Hey everyone. I have been playing a version of mono g enchantment control for almost 2 years now. I originally was inspired by the nissa primer on mtgsalvation. i have since changed the commander from nissa to gilanra and kodama partners. MH2 is bringing a whole new wave of cards to the deck and i am excited to update the deck when it releases. any advice or feedback on my build is appreciated.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/2gv1bWLdikaQ__DcNmu4YQ
I'm sure @aslidsiksoraksi would be happy to weigh in with any enchantress style upgrades. Green got tons of good stuff in MH2 as well, so even something like Sylvan Anthem/Gaea's Will/Endurance could be good additions.

Good to see the mono-g enchantress control still going strong, that original primer is what inspired me to work on Nissa too (although my build looks a lot different now).
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

toctheyounger

Modern Horizons 2 Set Review

It's been a while since I had time to give any major update to the thread, so apologies to anyone following. Dad life is all consuming, games are few and far between, it is what it is unfortunately.

Anyway, MH2 is almost upon us, and it is pretty hyped. There's tons of good green stuff, so let's dive in and see what could be useful.

Artifacts/Colorless/Lands

• Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth - Urborg for Green. Pretty nice, but it does seem to be more for decks that want to splash without compromising their color fixing. It'd go well with Yavimaya Dryad, but that's such a small interaction I don't know it's even worth considering this for.

Green

• Endurance - I think it's a very good card, I probably don't need it specifically here though.
  • Foundation Breaker - This is pretty excellent. That evoke cost is very low which is pretty wonderful. I'm not sure if it balances out as better than Reclamation Sage or not, but it's certainly worth considering.
  • Gaea's Will - I've heard people say this is pretty bonkers. Sure. If you can cascade it. I think it'd be fine here, but it's certainly not necessary.
  • Timeless Witness - It's fine, but I'm not about to replace Eternal Witness for it. A lower CMC trumps eternalize.
  • Tireless Provisioner - This is actually a pretty reasonable replacement for Lotus Cobra. Or an addition to it, whatever suits I guess. The problem I've had with the snake is mana leaving through phases and turns, and treasure completely fixes that. It's one more mana, but 3 CMC is still very nice.
  • Quirion Ranger - It's pretty niche in its own way, but gives an opportunity for early boost and burst mana that could be pretty nice. I prefer the original art if I'm honest though.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 2 years ago

Hello ToctheYounger. It's been a long time since you posted on here! I think Abundant Harvest might be worth a look. It's really quite a solid common. I do agree that there isn't much to offer in green/colorless other than what you posted already.

I am grateful for the timeless witness, however. It's a very solid card considering that the next best no-drawback eternal witness variant is greenwarden of murasa.

toctheyounger

weltkrieg wrote:
2 years ago
Hello ToctheYounger. It's been a long time since you posted on here! I think Abundant Harvest might be worth a look. It's really quite a solid common. I do agree that there isn't much to offer in green/colorless other than what you posted already.

I am grateful for the timeless witness, however. It's a very solid card considering that the next best no-drawback eternal witness variant is greenwarden of murasa.
It has been a while, yeah. I've managed some game time recently, but next to none with this deck in particular unfortunately. That's the risk of online matchups though, people can just leave at the drop of a hat.

Abundant Harvest does actually seem pretty decent. Even if it's just getting an early land drop, Abundance for a turn seems pretty good. It could actually be really decent for early game fixing (or rolling the dice on a game-saving spell if needed late game I guess). It'd be pretty stellar as an instant, but even as a sorcery seems playable.

Timeless Witness seems ok. It's definitely better than Greenwarden of Murasa, just nowhere near as good as Seasons Past.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 2 years ago

I feel you, toc. Dadlife certainly is consuming, but it also feels the magic community as a whole has been declining, hiberating like. Maybe it's just me...

But I still enjoy the game, even though I don't get to play much, I still wanna collect these crazy new cards that comes out.

As someone that likes playing utility lands, I'm quite happy for Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth. Dryad of the Ilysian Grove have already been helpful, but redundancy is nice and the land will also be easy to fetch.

@druem, your deck needs Tornado :halo:
It's ok, if you don't want to play it (even though it's good). I think you could cut Obscuring Haze. Weaver and Constant Mist should be enough IMO. Also, a great way to make Hurricanes oneside, is with a little help from Platinum Emperion.
I strongly recommend adding Temur Sabertooth. It's likely the best green card there is. Even when you don't have a lot of targets for it, just resetting Weaver or getting another use for E-witness is so sweet. Add Vedalken Orrery for extra nastyness.
How has In Search of Greatness been working?

toctheyounger

Another few updates after a long interim:

Provisioner should be a stone killer here. I see it being a lot better than Lotus Cobra for being less restrictive as to when mana is spent/ Force of Vigor I've decided to give another go. It's as good as removal gets in green. And I'd forgotten stampeding wildebeests even existed. It's a real throwback to childhood, but it's also a nice body with bounce on it so it should be great.

Mirage Mirror feels right to remove, it had been a little costly and wasn't always of use. Spike Weaver had no immediate synergy either, but I think there may well be times I rue the loss. and Skyshroud Claim is great, but being not on a body hurts a little.

Still haven't tracked down Ashaya, Soul of the Wild either! The moment my LGS gets on in I'll be jumping on it.

toctheyounger

Innistrad: Midnight HuntSet Review

Another set, and we're back to one of my favorite planes; honestly if we just visited Innistrad instead everytime we returned to Ravnica I'd be ok with that. Anyway given the focus on tribes, and color specifically werewolves I'm not holding for any huge additions, but you never know.

Artifacts/Colorless/Lands

Yeah, we got nothing here. Aside from easily the most grotesque and body horrorish art update for Pithing Needle|MID. And spooky full art lands, which is cool and all, but I try to match my land base to my commander's home plane if known.

Green

• Augur of Autumn - Well, damn. This is pretty good. Depending where the price lands, I might try and grab one of these, it's pretty excellent topdeck fixing, and a nice way to either back up Nissa if I can't flip her or just ensure she reveals what I need before activating her.
  • Saryth, the Viper's Fang - A weird card, and probably a bit too narrow to find a place here. I do like the untap ability, but I suspect it probably isn't worth the addition otherwise.
  • Storm the Festival - Seems good in the right places, but given my curve isn't really equipped to handle this I'd say it's probably not going to perform well here.
  • Tovolar's Huntmaster - It has an ETB which obviously is nice, I just don't think the rate is good enough. Seems like Grave Titan with extra steps, and Grave Titan isn't stellar.
  • Unnatural Growth - This card is silly. I'm not going to lie, I am tempted to find a place for this, but at the same time I can recognise that it really probably is surplus to requirement.
  • Wrenn and Seven - The chase card of the set, almost certainly. Is it worth it here? I tend to not think so, although the case isn't entirely clear. It costs more to cast than I'd like, ticks up slowly, and you're working towards an ultimate that is fine but not stellar. The other way to consider modern walkers is as utility slots, and in that respect....well, it's not bad. It's not amazing either. It seems like it would vary significantly game to game as to whether their +1 and 0 abilities will matter, but I suspect currently I have enough fluidity in moving lands into play that the card would be surplus to requirement. The other side of this is that a walker is a hard sell in a deck with a relatively low curve and no synergy with permanent type. There are some in the deck, sure, of the two outside of the command zone Garruk Wildspeaker is the least assured of a place, but I think this one holds less value for me currently than Garruk does. For now, not a card I'm going to pursue, and I suspect my wallet will thank me for it

Short and sweet this time around. Augur of Autumn seems a really good inclusion, I'll definitely try to grab one. Otherwise, the rest of the set is geared towards limited. Honestly, it's looking like it'd be a great block to draft, but for me that's out of the question anyway as we're locked down here in Auckland currently. It's part of why I've struggled to track down pieces of late, with LGSes mostly closed they can't update their inventories.

I'm going to try to get some gameplay in this week, which I should be able to do. Hopefully I'll have some sweet plays to report back.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

As per your request @toctheyounger, this Primer has been retired!

toctheyounger

Well I guess this is a bit of a sad post, but it has to be done. As above, I've decided to retire this deck as a primer list. I just don't have the time in the day to keep up with the frantic release rate and I've not managed to get any significant play time in with the deck in months. I guess it just comes down to having to tighten the belt a little, and this is where it makes the most sense to do it.

I think for now the deck will stay together and I'll see how much energy I get to put into it moving forward and just plan from there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”