Esika, Legendary Nonsense

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Tevesh wrote:
2 years ago
It's not about the changes but that the Tier of this deck was wrong. I lent my deck to a friend who hadn't played Magic in over a decade as I figured he would like the Legendary theme (he did) and that the deck is simple enough that it runs itself (it does). I played Omenkeel for two of those games and Ruric Thar for the third; he won 2 of the three. While the deck is slow, clunky and designed to be that way, once it picks up steam it bulldozes over most opponents who run at a higher Tier. So, Filthy Casual, this is not. The Bridge goes up a Tier.
I'm amused that your big, dumb deck has gone through similar commander changes as mine. Flipping to Golos and then to Esika. If you want the deck to be more chill, I recommend cutting more low CMC ramp cards and then having its gameplan be casting Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge on turn 3. Only casting The Prismatic Bridge if she dies. That way you can put in bigger dumb timmy cards over Azusa, Lost but Seeking and such.

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 2 years ago

Signe wrote:
2 years ago
I swear I'm not copying you, literally just started building Esika online today.
Uh huh. Well, I'll take it as flattery. If you don't mind going to Sally, this deck existed then and so you can give a read if you're looking for more inspiration and/or insight.
materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
Tevesh wrote:
2 years ago
It's not about the changes but that the Tier of this deck was wrong. I lent my deck to a friend who hadn't played Magic in over a decade as I figured he would like the Legendary theme (he did) and that the deck is simple enough that it runs itself (it does). I played Omenkeel for two of those games and Ruric Thar for the third; he won 2 of the three. While the deck is slow, clunky and designed to be that way, once it picks up steam it bulldozes over most opponents who run at a higher Tier. So, Filthy Casual, this is not. The Bridge goes up a Tier.
I'm amused that your big, dumb deck has gone through similar commander changes as mine. Flipping to Golos and then to Esika. If you want the deck to be more chill, I recommend cutting more low CMC ramp cards and then having its gameplan be casting Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge on turn 3. Only casting The Prismatic Bridge if she dies. That way you can put in bigger dumb timmy cards over Azusa, Lost but Seeking and such.
That looks like removing a lot of Legends for what this deck is. Even the non-legendary Creatures in it feel almost Legendary due to how silly they are, such as Sphinx of the Steel Wind or Twilight Prophet. I'm fine with this deck not being the Filthy Casual, even if it feels like it should operate at such a level. I guess there's something to be said about consistently dropping bombs.

Signe
Hobby Shop Blues
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Signe » 2 years ago

I'm on good ol Sally as well, don't worry :) I'll take a look there, too
Just getting set up, bear with me!

Tevesh

When a classic disappoints:
Changes 09/03/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Blasphemous Act is normally a show stopper because it wipes the board, but the thing is, my Creature quality is so high it frequently isn't my opponent's Creatures that I'm worried about. It's their Enchantments, Artifacts and Planeswalkers. Devastating Mastery is a dirt cheap deep clean and continues the pseudo-Group Hug aspect of allowing an opponent to dodge the Wrath.

Sea Gate is another way to keep my ETBT Land Tribal going and if things are going well, I can use one of my many Caverns to bounce this Land in the late game if I intent to cast that. And if I really, really need it to not come into play Tapped, I can pay 3 Life.

Tevesh

Replacing a Banned Card:
Changes 12/15/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Considering my discussion about Golos on the previous page, it is no surprise that the hammer was dropped on him. I was just lazy trying to figure out what to cut for him. Initially, I thought of Chulane, Teller of Tales but I don't own a copy. In his stead comes Jhoira because of the draw. I would like to have added some Ramp but that's hard to do with two Basics in the deck. I did think of Sunbird's Invocation as well, as that's absurd, but I rather have another Legendary body that draws off of my Legends. With her Historic stipulation, she'll even draw off of the random Artifacts the deck uses. Perhaps I'll track down a Chulane eventually, as the deck is supposed to lay out ridiculous haymakers all day and Chulane qualifies. Jhoira, not so much. She's just damned solid.

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 1 year ago

I'd had enough:
Changes 05/09/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Teneb has been on my %$#% for a while, he's the least scary or impressive Legend out of the entire deck. I just didn't have a good enough of an excuse to replace him; Wizards had stopped huffing glue for a minute and hadn't printed any absolutely generically busted Legends in awhile. So I didn't have a reason to axe Teneb and I find Chulane, Teller of Tales so boring that I'm not trying too hard to get a copy, even if he'd slot right in with this deck. The last time I played I had an opponent who just loved to wait until my combat step to mess with me, the one thing any certified Timmy cannot abide. I was looking for ways to stop these shenanigans when Dromoka caught my eye while looking through my collection. Yeah, this deck is all about being ridiculous and fair - many of the cards here punish higher echelons of play while leaving casuals unmolested. Not being able to cast on my turn isn't going to hurt most newbies but it will put the hurt on more experienced players; Dromoka fits the deck to a tee - I just feel bad for not thinking of 'em earlier.

Yavimaya almost completes this deck's quest to remove every Basic with a good fixing Land. Mountain, the next time Wizards needs to print a money Commander Land, you might be next.

Tevesh

I'll miss you, you aquatic book reading dinosaur:
Changes 06/23/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Nezahal was some broken %$#%$#% a mere five-ish years ago but now he's clunky. Drawing cards is cool but I want to do more than that and Myrkul turn's Nezahal's propensity to dodge removal and gives it to all of his friends. A lot of my Creatures have very good, very relevant text on them and doesn't particularly care if they're a Creature or not. Myrkul felt like a slam dunk. I have high hopes, hopefully he'll meet them.

Tevesh

Found Jodah after searching:
Changes 09/22/22
Approximate Total Cost:

In Search of Greatness is a lacklustre do-nothing Enchantment. Jodah, at the very minimum is a Coat of Arms for my legends and lets me do dumb cast triggers which seems to be a better 'do nothing on its own' type of card. He's also a legend and a creature in a deck that seems to care about those things.

Tevesh

40k changes:
Changes 10/15/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Not that I made 40,000 changes but I've changed cards from the 40k set. Exterminatus is a better Merciless Eviction for what this deck aims to do. Now that's gotten out of the way, let's get onto the real changes.

First, I've decided to make the deck an Esika deck. The advice was real, real good. Use Esika to power out your legends and the first time she dies, turn her into a bridge because you're out of the begin game. She comes down turn three and then helps me poop out legends who in turn help me poop out more legends. I also love the meme about Vigilance being too powerful in Multiplayer because it stops attacks.

I've put in Abaddon the Despoiler because he seems like a guy who can do some absolutely absurd things once he gets rolling. He's cheaper than Malestrom and while I'll miss giving all of my creatures Haste, I think I'll like Abaddon more. He also passes the 'Myrkul Test' of: Would this be really aggravating for our opponents if they had to destroy this twice? Maelstrom giving Haste; sure, that's not the best. Abaddon handing out Cascade like cocaine? That's a problem, that's worth killing again but man, Enchantments sure are hard to deal with. This continues the slow squeeze to death on my opponents.

I'll be sad to see Dawnbreak Reclaimer to go. She's such a nifty effect that people rarely know that she exists. She only gets outgunned by Celestine's Legendary status, lifelink and lower mana value. I'll be sad that I won't be able to lift up other newbies with the Reclaimer's effect but I guess I'll have further control with the nonsense the deck does, especially since the lifegain can become outrageous with particular legendary setups.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”