Jeska, Falthis, and Obosh: The Power of Three

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Inspired by our own @DirkGently I decided it'd be awesome to try a "three Commander" deck utilizing partners + Companions. Of all the optionspainstakingly catalogued by Dirk, the one that I settled on as the most interesting was Jeska, Thrice Reborn + Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar + Obosh, the Preypiercer.

These three don't have the sort of blaringly obvious gameplan that, say, Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator + Breeches, Brazen Plunderer might, so what do they do?

- A Planeswalker can't really utilize Menace, but they can utilize Deathtouch. That means that with Falthis out, Jeska's ability is "-1: Destroy up to three target creatures" which is preeettty good.
- Falthis is "merely" a 2/2, but she swings for 6 damage with Jeska's 0, 4 with Obosh, and 12 with both partners out and active. That's a lot of damage quickly on a low-to-the-ground threat, one who is hard to block with Menace + Deathtouch especially when Jeska keeps Hexing the opposing board every few turns with her minus.
- I can envision an endgame where we bleed opponents out and then Jeska ends up with like 7 loyalty and domes someone for 14 with her minus + Obosh's ability.

The gameplan is solid, and because you effectively start with a 10-card hand that is a self-contained wincon, it makes it a little hard for me to decide where to take it from there. It also is a little awkward to plan for Obosh's companion rules; we lose a lot of Rakdos staples. We don't get to include Terminate, Dreadbore, Rakdos Charm, or Feed the Swarm in our removal suite, we don't get Damnation to wipe the board, we lose Sign in Blood and Night's Whisper and Ambition's Cost as draw spells, and most notably our ramp engine gets REALLY awkward with no option to use signets, stones, or (if they were in my budget but they're super not anyhow) Moxes, Jeweled Lotus, or Mana Crypt to turbo out turn 1 commanders. There's only so many 1 CMC ramp spells, and this deck really doesn't want a 3 CMC ramp spell since it is just really weird sequencing wise with its two commanders.

I turn to ya'll for advice and thoughts. Here's my (currently over 100 cards) list of stuff I'm considering:
The Power of Three Will Set You Free
Approximate Total Cost:

That's my sketch and assuming I run "only" 36 lands plus all the MDFCs that means I'd need to cut 27 cards - more, if I want more lands which seems reasonable given my massive "opening hand". That's also not accounting for any sweet tech I missed/forgot about, although I will say if there's a card not listed that seems amazing and is more than $5, I probably just don't own a copy and can't afford to get one during this holiday seasons (most obviously, this deck would love a Gamble and more swords especially a Sword of Feast and Famine and it isn't in the cards I'm afraid)

Tags:

Inkeyes22
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

I was actually working on this deck and came to get some ideas on the last few cards. Here is what I had:
Three is just right
Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”