Muldrotha's Prison Waste Management

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

Sultai players, amirite? Sort of a joke in my playgroup is that you need to be a lazy POS who uses the three best colours in Magic and Muldrotha players are the worst: they don't know how to play wincons. This memery started in the EDH Subreddit where it seemed like so many players kept asking for Wincons in Muldrotha. Like bro, you've got the best colours, use yer noggin! I, a filthy degenerate who tries to make interesting decks, tried to think of something that would make Muldrotha more than a Pumpskin Spice Drinking, Lulu Lemon Pants Wearing, Basic %$#%.

The idea came from my many times resurrected and then put down Orzhov Daxos deck. It wants to build a Prison but the problem is Orzhov can lock people out well but can't close out a game quickly. One of the more annoying things that happens if people blow up your key pieces! With that in mind, I decided to make a Prison-esque Group Slug deck with Muldrotha. You blew up my Prison pieces? Well, let her rummage around in the garbage for them. Let's see if this ain't the most interesting twist on the Muldrotha problem.
Prison

Commander - 1

Basic Lands - 32

11 Forest
13 Swamp
Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 10/03/19
Show
Hide
Changes 10/03/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/12/19
Show
Hide
Changes 09/12/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 08/10/19
Show
Hide
Last edited by Tevesh 4 years ago, edited 19 times in total.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I've wanted to build some kind of Sultai for a while, would you say Muldrotha is more casual friendly than Tasigur, the Golden fang

Tevesh

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
I've wanted to build some kind of Sultai for a while, would you say Muldrotha is more casual friendly than Tasigur, the Golden fang
Yes, but you still deserve all the hate thrown at you. Every single Sultai commander except Vorosh, the Hunter just smells comborific, so the table should be collapsing on you and you're probably playing Vorosh just to avoid this knee jerk reaction. So, if you don't mind being hated out or being targeted you could play Muldrotha. I've tried to build 'fair' Sultai and it's either fallen on its face or lives up to the reputation of being a Sultai Commander. I've tried 'Hyper Aggro Sidisi, Brood Tyrant to midrange Sidisi to Tribal Zombie Sidisi to Spellshaper Damia, Sage of Stone to pure Control Damia. Hell, my first stab at Yarok, the Desecrated was pretty degenerate and all I wanted to do was double ETBs.

So, know your deck's power level compared to your group's is important. You certainly can try a Casual Muldrotha, but depending on what else is at the table you'll probably be Kill On Sight #1 unless someone is playing at a higher power level than you.

Tevesh

First Change:
I realized I didn't need more mill, I needed more action and then Muldrotha would let me continually replay that. I needed more Ramp, so I put in Elk and Font in for the fake Ramp of Wayfinder and Vessel. I wanted more group hug draw, so I put in Standstill and Jace's Archivist and took out the 'mill draw' in the form of Lazav and Splinterfight. I wanted even more draw, so Geth's Grimoire went in and Sidisi went out as the last part of my 'mill draw'.

Lastly, I needed answers so Pernicious Deed went in. Without so much self-mill in the deck, Whisper started to look lacklustre.

Tevesh

A bunch of big swaps:
Spore Frog is to keep me alive from those big alpha strikes; Grim Feast didn't guarantee I would gain that life back. I've also added more life gain in the form of Curse of Fool's Wisdom and Bloodchief Ascension. The Poison-Tip Archer is another piece of deterrence that is going to hurt the board whenever any Creature stubs their toe.

I felt like I had slightly too much draw, so I axed Geth's Grimoire, 'Nyx Weaver', Secrets of the Dead and Jace's Archivist. The Archivist took too long to set up with Summoning Sickness and the Weaver didn't draw me those cards, just gave me access if Muldrotha was in play. I rather go off of something that has more action. I didn't completely remove draw to the deck, as I added River Kelpie, which I figure can help me block big boys without concern because he'll Persist.

Price of Knowledge just cost too much and negated an angle I could now attack at: Discard. I thought of Raider's Wake vs Liliana's Caress but I went with Caress due to its low CMC. Geier Reach Sanitarium will help trigger that and Madness out Fool's Wisdom. Making players drop cards into their cards also synergizes with an active Bloodchief Ascension.

Clever Impersonator will let me pick the best bomb permanent or failing that, double up on what I already have. Two Iron Maidens or Underworld Dreams should make quick work of my opponents.

Seal of Doom hits one nonblack Creature, which actually does matter. I've also realized I need ways to wipe out the field, as I continually Ramp I figure I could rebuild faster with after an Oblivion Stone over anyone else.

The two nonbasics were added are thinking about the "Phyrexian Arena Test", that is, would I mind taking one each turn if I had Primal Order out. Considering that is the only opportunity cost in this deck, I decided to gladly do so. I cut an Island and a Forest because of the triple Black in Underworld Dreams.

Tevesh

CMC shaving:
Changes 09/12/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Tezzeret usually minuses for some game winning Artifact; he didn't do that in my deck which made him feel underwhelming, especially since opponents would sometimes come at me due to thinking that is exactly what Tezzeret is going to do. In his stead goes Ashiok, she's really annoying at locking down Graveyards and with Muldrotha, she'll just keep doing that. Her static ability of making opponents unable to search is also amazing. With the amount of resources I give players, I've noticed that they can sometimes just go for a win, Ashiok should stop that as they're going to have to handle her first before searching for the wincon.

The nonblack stipulation on Executioner's Capsule came up a lot. I'm going for a less dead card with Sinister Concoction which hopefully the deck doesn't mind the usage requirements.

Tatyova is a lightning rod. I'm putting Horn of Greed in as part of my strategy to make people get hurt by doing what they normally would be, as the Horn's trigger is mandatory. They're going to be hurting themselves from my Underworld Dreams effects and other cards I have that prey on Discard and the like. This is all hidden under the guise of Horn of Greed. It also comes down earlier than Tatyova, so it should smooth over my draws in the early game.

Burgeoning needs a lot of draw to really pay off and I'm not sure this deck has that. Khalni Heart Expedition should be a solid piece of recursive ramp.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

I will vouch for Sinister Concoction.
B O V I N E

Tevesh

Sinister Concoction has been good to me! Here are the latest changes:
Changes 10/03/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Vraska has been added just to have flexibility with removal with making a Treasure. Tamiyo's static ability didn't do much for me, her plus wouldn't let me regularly hit what I wanted and her minus doesn't make sense for a Muldrotha deck. She was an easy cut for Vraska.

I turned into one big cow at times with Dissipation Field as people would farm me with their ETB Creatures. No Mercy should curb that.

I realized I had 40 lands, so I cut two for a healthy 38 and added Vannifar and Nissa. They're both card advantage engines, which the deck seems to need. If I'm able to constantly Ramp by drawing cards, I can keep recasting Muldrotha and her prison pieces. If Muldrotha doesn't die, then I can place more punishing locks into play.

Tevesh

I decided to add more defence to this build and decided to shuck Discard as a wincon:
Folio of Fancies forces draws and makes everyone's handsize infinite; now they aren't going to be discarding down and hopefully will feel the pinch from Viseling and Iron Maiden even moreso. Hell, I am tempted to play Price of Knowledge again. So, Liliana's Caress didn't make much sense, plus there is a shift towards more Reliquary Towers and friends.

Khalni Heart Expedition is good Ramp if I'm ahead, it's no good if I'm behind. I found I didn't really have time to use Silverglade Pathfinder and I guess that means by extension that Dreamscape Artist's days are numbered. Helm of Possession and Strands of Night were axed for the same 'good if ahead' reason. Pod and Vannifar didn't really do anything for the deck, which had me scratching my head too. It was more that if I was ahead, I could dick around with Pods, but I actually don't really want my Creatures to die so without Fodder they weren't that good if I was behind or at parity with the table.

Sire of Stagnation was axed for curve considerations, especially since I put in Kederekt as a reset button. 'Rekt and the idea of following up with an Iron Maiden puts a smile on my face.

Spore Frog made people see red and murder the crap out of me. In its place for defence is Stinky, Nighthawk and Gitrog for their deathtouch. Gitrog 'cause he's a draw and ramp engine. Stinky can keep coming back and expanding my Graveyard even more, plus that synergizes with Konrad.

The rest are ways to keep Muldrotha alive: Kaya's Ghostform, Gift of Doom, Glen Elendra Archmage and Siren Stormtamer. I do like the pseudo-duality of Gift of Doom, as I can play it as a Creature as a Morph or an Enchantment which is part of the flexibility of the deck. With back to Theros coming up, I'm hoping to score some more Group Slug Sultai Enchantment Creatures.

Tevesh

Well, the deck seems to be too slow for the meta. I can't defend myself while giving everyone all of these extra resources. I just get poked to death. I've decided to retire Muldrotha.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

I've got a staxy build myself (link in sig, roughly fiveish cards out of date) so it was cool to see this list. Couple of cards that look promising for this and other decks.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”