Krenkers, Joblins

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

Goblins need jobs in this tough economy and Krenko provides them with those opportunities to make wealth by robbing Ravnicans who have evacuated. After playing with Krenko in my Marchesa, the Black Rose deck, I saw a glimmer in this Goblin's eye. He can go tall, wide and with other Red Friends he can threaten other axes.
Joblins

Commander - 1

Planeswalkers - 1

Basic Lands - 20

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 02/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 02/03/20
Show
Hide
Changes 02/03/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/30/20
Show
Hide
Changes 01/30/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/08/20
Show
Hide
Changes 01/08/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 12/21/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/21/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/19/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/19/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/14/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/14/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/10/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/07/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/07/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/08/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 10/29/19
Show
Hide
Changes 10/29/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 10/07/19
Show
Hide
Changes 10/07/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/19/19
Show
Hide
Changes 08/26/19
Show
Hide
Changes 08/26/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 08/10/19
Show
Hide
Changes 08/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 4 years ago, edited 26 times in total.

Tevesh

First change:
Changes 08/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

I want to be able to tutor instead of randomly Rummage. Also, made the rest of the lands Mountains.

Reiterate makes me play stupidly, Bolt Bend can be used in just the perfect way.
Last edited by Tevesh 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tevesh

My curve is low enough, my haymakers sparse and being dedicated to tempo is what made me make this swap:
Changes 08/26/19
Approximate Total Cost:

I want to be able to explode out of the gate, not churn though value at the end of the game. Having another Sac Outlet is great with cards like Vicious Shadows or just generating mana to feed a Goblin to a Skullclamp. Sunbird's is absurd, so I think it will make a return, but there isn't an obvious card to cut for this fast mana.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

What do you think of Goblin Matron / Imperial Recruter given how good a few of the other goblins seem like they would be. Moggcatcher could also go a ways for goblin package. I could see some other goblins like Goblin Assassin also being interesting if you did pick up a goblin tutor package. Gempalm Incinerator could also be a cool goblin add to bring in.

Aggravated Assault it seems like a lot of mana to use this card. What about having something like Sieze the Day instead? It would give you better immediate use even though its more limited in the long run.

Victory Chimes? This seems like a very odd inclusion choice for this deck.

Would The Immortal Sun be better than Caged Sun here? I was just thinking from the standpoint that its still an anthem but it picks up card draw for you and you don't really seem to be a big mana kind of deck.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tevesh

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
What do you think of Goblin Matron / Imperial Recruter given how good a few of the other goblins seem like they would be. Moggcatcher could also go a ways for goblin package. I could see some other goblins like Goblin Assassin also being interesting if you did pick up a goblin tutor package. Gempalm Incinerator could also be a cool goblin add to bring in.

Aggravated Assault it seems like a lot of mana to use this card. What about having something like Sieze the Day instead? It would give you better immediate use even though its more limited in the long run.

Victory Chimes? This seems like a very odd inclusion choice for this deck.

Would The Immortal Sun be better than Caged Sun here? I was just thinking from the standpoint that its still an anthem but it picks up card draw for you and you don't really seem to be a big mana kind of deck.
I never thought of using Goblin Assassin, that's hilarious! It's not like I care if my Goblins bite it, but people do find their own Creatures to be precious. It's a repeatable Wrath in a Can. Definitely going to try to make room for this guy, Krenko could help find him a job.

I guess I would need to find other good Goblins to justify using Moggcatcher or Goblin Matron. I'm not too sure if I want to shell out for another Imperial Recruiter.

You're probably right about Aggravated Assault, but the reason it is in the deck is that it's an Infinite with Skirk Prospector/Phyrexian Altar and Krenko with 5+ power.

Victory Chimes is just to have an extra mana open for my various Forks and to power my Mind's Eye. You're probably right about it being in Magical Christmasland, though I've been there once before. A Worn Powerstone or Thran Dynamo are probably better overall.

I really like the doubling of mana with Caged Sun; though The Immortal Sun might be better for the deck.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Goblin King could also be a size buff / evasion potential. It buffs the army of gobos you get and possibly gets you some evasion to get in. It goes a bit further for getting a goblin package too if needed.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tevesh

Trying out the minimal Goblin package as suggested as ISB.
The deck uses a crapload of Artifacts and makes token Artifacts, having Goblin Welder makes sense to have in the deck. Endbringer required me to jump through a lot of hoops to be a potential draw/disruption engine.

Aggravated Assault is a utility piece, which requires specific circumstances to be good or go infinite. In its stead goes Goblin Assassin, whose utility is causing the board to Wrath on every one of my combat steps. Seems good.

Kiki-Jiki is generic utility, especially with a bunch of my Creatures that I don't care if they die or are fed to Sacrifice outlets. I figure that is enough to replace the Wheelish effect of Dreadhorde Neheb. Depending on how things shake out, I might get a Lightning Crafter and/or Zealous Conscript for having a less hoop-like infinite than Aggravated Assault.

And here's the piece to resistance, Moggcatcher! Moggcatcher fetches me these three Goblins plus the five that are already in the base list. I already have quite the Goblin package but I'm sure there's more that will come to me or be printed.

I didn't like how awkward Stoneforge Masterwork operated at times. Sure, having Krenko get massive when I already have overwhelming numbers is cool, but I need Equipment to quickly generate Goblins. In this regard, Masterwork failed and caused too much of a tempo loss. I'm trying out Bloodforged Battle-Axe because it pumps Krenko without hoops, can still help him get massive if I keep slapping them on him. Alternatively, I can start putting them on Goblins so my damage threshold increases if my opponent is able to Maze or chump Krenko. Lastly, it creates an Artifact token, which is perfect fodder for Welder.

Tevesh

Goblin Assassin made someone immediately scoop, so I guess it's a powerful effect. Here's my most recent changes:
Changes 10/07/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Victory Chimes is nice in a control deck, which this is not. The Banner provides me with Colour, which is important as I've dropped Endbringer. The +1/+0 is nice for Krenko and all of his Job-seeking Goblins.

Throne is extra card draw, which is not quite what the deck is looking for, especially since I have to sacrifice a land. In its' stead is Castle Embereth to boost my boys, yet again.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Tevesh wrote:
4 years ago
Goblin Assassin made someone immediately scoop, so I guess it's a powerful effect. Here's my most recent changes:
lol good to hear thats working out.

Tevesh

Added some speed to this deck:
Changes 10/29/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Quest will pump Krenko early who can then start churning out more Goblins, who will be bigger and harder to deal with. Brightstone is to give me that Ritual on demand mana. Mana Vault felt too good for what the deck is and Caged Sun was a bit too high on CMC for what's effectively an Aggro deck.

Tevesh

Add more aggression:
Changes 11/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

With the Raider and Sledder, I am increasing the odds that I'm drawing one of them. Realizing how Krenko's triggered ability works, I can relatively safely sac my board to get increased gains. This means I hit harder, faster and grow my board bigger which I can then use however. There's plenty you can do when you have dozens of Goblins. The Ritual was unneeded, I don't really have big plays after slimming my curve down. The Raider and Sledder do the Battle-Axe's job but without having to spend mana to do so, plus they're Sac Outlets for cards that care such as Vicious Shadows.

Tevesh

Tiana needs this more than Krenko:
Changes 12/07/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Tiana sees more cards so that means she might actually see the Scrying Sheets and keeps mana open to dig. Krenko has not had any card draw problems, the little Goblin is pretty happy with all of his other draw.

Tevesh

Draw and utility:
Changes 12/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Kiki-Jiki requires some busted critter to copy to abuse and I'm not quite there. Idol of Oblivion comes down early and can help me smooth out draws without even paying mana. Hell, late game it can turn into a finisher though I doubt I'll ever get to that point.

With the removal of Scrying Sheets, I can delve deeper into Nonbasics. Ghost Quarter to blow up those Math of Iths that plague the meta and Buried Ruin to retrieve one of my outrageous Artifacts.

Tevesh

Good ol' Krenk is an aggro deck, costs need to be low to the ground:
Changes 12/14/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Etali is good late game piece but this deck does other things with its mana when I have six. It's probably not worth putting the Dino into play. The Engineer comes into to fetch either a draw engine in the form of Skullclamp or a mana battery like Phyrexian Altar. Tutors always strength your deck and Krenkers looks like he needs help.

The Mirage Mirror is a lot of good utility, but as stated, this is an aggressive low-to-the-ground deck that also can go wide. I don't need utility, I need ways to end people. The Lookout pumps Krenkers for more Goblin action, plus any other swinging friends.

Fury Storm gets the axe for Reverberate because two mana is much easier to keep open than four. Fury Storm gets picked over Wild Ricochet because Ricochet might protect the Krenks.

Tevesh

This is an aggro deck that attacks multiple axes, I need less windmill finishers and more solid ways of honing the engine:
Changes 12/19/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Burn at the Stake somehow disappointed. I think part of the reason is that it costs a lot. I love my midrange so things costing five as a lot is a bit alien; however, I looked at my other wincons and that's when I realized I already have enough. Does Burn measure up to Purphoros, God of the Forge? The damage output on Purph is insane in comparison plus how much Purph threatens. I realized I had enough wincons and instead need more ways just to speed up my general clock, so I'm trying out the low-to-the-ground Cavalcade after seeing how well it did on Muddstah's Brawling Buddies. I do have four cards that can hamper the Cavalcade's trigger, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to not run it.

I also realized that Thaumatic Compass costed too much to Activate and I didn't care much for its flip side. The deck doesn't really want to draw that many more Mountains. Tome is another cheap cost way to draw cards, especially since the deck's main job is to play Krenkers and then turn him sideways.

Tevesh

Increased utility for Aggro:
Changes 12/21/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Burnished Hart costs 6 to get the full benefit from and this deck isn't really trying to get as much lands into play as possible. It's aggro at heart and if it costs 4 or more, that should be winning me the game. I chose to cut the Hart over Solemn Simulacrum because Solemn is only four and is fire and forget. Goblin Matron comes in the Hart's place to fetch me whatever Goblin I need for the job, whether that's massive gains with Mogg Raider/Goblin Sledder, mana with Skirk Prospector or other utility.

Tevesh

I don't need Ramp so hard:
Changes 01/08/20
Approximate Total Cost:

With Purphoros, God of the Forge as a 4 drop I measure victory at that rate, so with Solemn costing 4 to Ramp me and not win means he's lacking. I generate a lot of Goblins and while I can go Wide or Tall, I did mention threatening other axes. Mons caring about Goblin deaths gives me that other axis to threaten, plus he can generate more Goblins which brings me back to my Fallen Empires days when I made a Goblin Warrens deck and loved my Mons's Goblin Raiders. So big hit of nostalgia to go with this Goblin, who can also be fetched via Goblin Matron or Moggcatcher.

Tevesh

Adding more threat:
Changes 01/30/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Unstable Obelisk is there to be a Ramp piece and on the off chance, something I can use to Destroy a Permanent. Unfortunately, with how aggressive this deck is, it was unrealistic I would be using the Obelisk for its Destroy Activation. While it is nice in that it can take out blanket fogs like Solitary Confinement or other troublesome permanents, the main reason for including the Obelisk is to blow up the Maze of Iths that plague the meta. Champion's Helm stops Krenko from being messed with, whether that's a kill spell or Maze, increases his Power to make more Goblins and is cheaper to bring online. I think this will be a good fit.

I did notice that I frequently had some random thing buffing my Goblins, so that did make Cavalcade of Calamity less attractive. There are also times where I don't want to turn my team sideways, I want to keep them back for blocks. I also never drew Cavalcade. I can tutor up Boggart Shenanigans with my Moggcatcher which makes the deck more consistent. I also have lots of Sacrifice Outlets of various qualities to make Goblin deaths pay off. Shenanigans rewards me for keeping the team home, can be used to poke at Planeswalkers and is also redundancy with Pashalik Mons.

Tevesh

I won Embercleave and decided Krenko uses it best out of all of my aggro decks:
Changes 02/03/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Trailblazer Boots don't speed up my clock and they might not even give me evasion. Embercleave speeds up my clock, provides evasion and can be cast with equip for cheaper than the Boots.

Tevesh

Interaction required:
Changes 02/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Pay 5 mana and then have something leftover to draw cards in an aggro deck? Unlikely and if so I'm probably losing. I rather have interaction, especially since a lot of Sorceries can really mess my day up.

Tevesh

I think I've gone the furthest I can with Krenkers. Unfortunately, it's ended up being a Voltron deck. I did like how his putting out of bodies can threaten multiple axes, the unfortunate reality was Voltron was the only way to realistically win. Having fallen down that pitfall far too many times, I'm retiring Krenkers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”