Soubira: Caravan of Treasures.

Tryno
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tryno » 3 years ago

Decklist

Instant

Approximate Total Cost:

So when I first saw Soubira, I thought she looked bad then I realized that she does what red is bad at while doing what it is good at. Namely, crazy aggro. So the idea is to play your hand and activate the commander to draw.
Last edited by Tryno 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Vrondiss

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner is a fantastic commander! It's like having a Wheel of Fortune in your command zone.

First question: Do you already own this deck? or are you planning on purchasing?

My biggest suggestion to you would be slot in more removal. You only have about 3 cards that interact with your opponents' boards. In mono red, you are really going to have a hard time competing with other decks if you aren't running some interaction. Finding clever ways to deal with the other colors' strategies will be key.

You have A LOT of ramp, like a lot! My feeling is that Subira is going to function optimally on a lower curve, which means lower cost spells in general. You don't need quite that much ramp to pull that off.

And lastly here are a few other cards you might consider to take advantage of her draw and discard effect: Surly Badgersaur and Brallin, Skyshark Rider,
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

I second badgersaur and brallin. Also, Psychosis Crawler. Mindmoil keeps cards flowing.

Blasphemous Act over Mizzium Mortars seems better to me, and I'd consider Gamble for every red deck.

Bomat Courier gives you a way to refill your hand if you get blown out after a Subira activation.

She seems like a real fun commander.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

Firestorm and Nahiri's Wrath are good interactive spells for the wheel deck, and effectively one-sided wraths for the deck full of small creatures. I'd also put Seismic Assault up there as a way to turn cards in hand into removal.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Tryno

Post by Tryno » 3 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
First question: Do you already own this deck? or are you planning on purchasing?
Not in paper, I have been playing online against some friends. It was a blast to play though. I recently moved and haven't found a playgroup, especially with COVID
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
My biggest suggestion to you would be slot in more removal.
I noticed I was having some issues with creature removal in some form. @ISBPathfinder dropped a Magus of the Disk in his Bruna, the Fading Light deck and that felt pretty painful. I ended up working around it, but it was a very heavy load. I'm not sure how I feel about adding removal in the form of sorceries/etc. It's hard to keep answers when your plan is to wheel all of the time.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
You have A LOT of ramp, like a lot! My feeling is that Subira is going to function optimally on a lower curve, which means lower cost spells in general. You don't need quite that much ramp to pull that off.
I disagree on this point, at no point did I ever think I didn't have enough mana. Activating her ability to make things unblockable, while also activating to wheel, ends up being a ton of mana. Especially when you are trying to vomit your hand every turn in the meantime.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
And lastly here are a few other cards you might consider to take advantage of her draw and discard effect: Surly Badgersaur and Brallin, Skyshark Rider,
I hadn't considered either of those. I think I will swap them with Pia and Kiran Nalaar and Siege-Gang Commander. The badger would be a sweet creature to bash into troublesome creatures, and Brallin will make good flying defense, while also doming people on wheels.

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Also, Psychosis Crawler. Mindmoil keeps cards flowing.
Psychosis Crawler is not that amazing for me, it's 5 mana and I expect that it would feel win more. Mindmoil, isn't exactly positive card draw, unless you pair it with something else.
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Blasphemous Act over Mizzium Mortars seems better to me, and I'd consider Gamble for every red deck.
I disagree strongly, Blasphemous is a great card, however it is useful for when you are not running a lot of bodies, because you lose more. Mizzium, is asymmetrical and doesn't force me to wipe my board to deal with problems.
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Bomat Courier gives you a way to refill your hand if you get blown out after a Subira activation.
I was eyeing this card, I am going to keep it in my hat while I play test more.
tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
Firestorm and Nahiri's Wrath are good interactive spells for the wheel deck, and effectively one-sided wraths for the deck full of small creatures. I'd also put Seismic Assault up there as a way to turn cards in hand into removal.
I'd strongly consider firestorm, I'm not a fan of the other two though. I will keep an eye on the other two, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger on them until I get more play testing.

Changes
Siege-Gang CommanderSurly Badgersaur: I am in pretty dire need of interaction, and hadn't seen this card until it was mentioned. Siege gang is a great card, and I might end up bringing back, but I would like for my 4+ mana slots to be oriented more towards ending the game instead of for rebuilding.
Pia and Kiran NalaarBrallin, Skyshark Rider: I was having a lot of issues with flying defense, Brallin is a threat, and also can defend me nicely.
Coldsteel HeartUnstable Obelisk: Swapping mana ramp that is faster, for more control
Arms DealerFirestorm: To much mana, and with the additional control I've added, I feel like it might not be good enough anymore.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Vrondiss

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Tryno wrote:
3 years ago
Psychosis Crawler is not that amazing for me, it's 5 mana and I expect that it would feel win more. Mindmoil, isn't exactly positive card draw, unless you pair it with something else
Fair point about Crawler for this deck.

Correct, Mindmoil is not card advantage by itself, but I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with it. I assume this deck can quite frequently manage a draw 5+ off Subira's second ability. Now assume Mindmoil is out. You cast the best one out of the 5 cards you drew, then recycle the 4 remaining. You play the best one out of the 4 you drew, then recycle the 3 remaining. So on and so forth.

You have a low curve, so even after Subira activations in that scenario let's say you can play 3 spells post combat: with Mindmoil in play that *roughly* translates into "Draw 14, put 11 on the bottom of your library, then draw 2" (yes, I know you aren't always going to get *THE* 3 best cards out of the 14, but you'll likely get 3 of the best 5 out of that 14). Card advantage is fantastic, no question. But card SELECTION is overlooked and underappreciated far too often IMO. Given the choice between "Draw 7" or "Draw 20, but you can only keep 3", I really think the case can be made for the latter and that is why I love me some Mindmoil.

All that said, it may just be too expensive for this deck. Like you said, you have a lot of places to sink mana.
Tryno wrote:
3 years ago
I disagree strongly, Blasphemous is a great card, however it is useful for when you are not running a lot of bodies, because you lose more. Mizzium, is asymmetrical and doesn't force me to wipe my board to deal with problems.
All of this is true, but the problem with Mizzium Mortars is that there will be many occasions where you will NEED to wipe the board to survive or have any sort of fighting chance and deal 4 just won't get it done, all while costing a steep 6 mana.

On the other hand, Blasphemous Act is always cheap when you really need it. The effect is likely to be asymmetrical here even when you wipe your own board since you are the one with a 3 cmc commander and cheap aggro creatures and not Nyxbloom Ancient, Prossh, Skyraider of Kher, or Utvara Hellkite. Lastly, deal 13 is a lot more than deal 4.

I'm all about running the right board wipes for any given deck, and that usually means whichever one hurts you the least while hurting everyone else the most. In mono-red you don't get that luxury as easily though, and I think it's best to accept your lumps and realize that sometimes you're going to be way behind and want that Blasphemous Act.

Just my 2 cents. Don't get the wrong impression from my feedback, I think your deck is sweet!

Another couple of cards to consider:

Hazoret's Monument - cost reducers are often better than mana sources that tap since you can get the reduction multiple times a turn and effectively net well over the mana production of a rock. The rummage trigger is also great here for card selection, pitching excess lands, and triggering your Surly Badgersaur and Glint-Horn Buccaneer.

Mad Ratter - the CMC is a bit high and the tokens aren't hasty or tapped/attacking like with Legion Warboss, but it might be worth it for the sheer amount of tokens it could make if it isn't dealt with quickly. Unfortunately you aren't set up to really leverage the "each turn" aspect of the card. Still, it might be worth a thought.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”