Lord Windgrace

WizardMN
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

That was actually one of my first thoughts on Scout: being able to cheat in a Glacial Chasm at instant timing. I will see how much that comes up but I like the idea :)

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I did it more than once with gitrog. And tons of times if you count other shenanigans like putting a maze into play or instant speeding a phyrexian tower to sac something, and even one time instant speeding a volraths stronghold to protect my kozilek from grave hate.

There's llanowar scout at 2cmc now we well that I play in my lands deck and I have liked that one too. Used most to make instant speed tokens there tho.

I really enjoy those shenanigans :) having complex option chains is a fun way to keep the game engaging.

edit: reminds me to say that you may want to think about Expedition Map as it plays pretty well with those effects.

WizardMN

I got in another game online. This time against Obeka, Brute Chronologist and Merieke Ri Berit. Muldrotha, the Gravetide was there for a while but quit fairly soon so I won't include much of their plays.

I started off with no ramp but had Life from the Loam with Fabled Passage. So, I just looped these for a turn or two to ensure I hit my land drops.

I ended up dropping Windgrace on turn 5 with no way to protect him just to ramp further. I assumed he would die but I really wanted to get to enough mana for Pernicious Deed and to be able to crack it for 6 (Muldrotha was on the field at the time).

Instead, no one attacked Windgrace. Merieke had a Mulldrifter that could have attacked (and a Conjurer's Closet to make sure it was untapped anyway) and Muldrotha had Reclamation Sage that could have killed him. Perhaps they were being political but it seemed super risky.

Anyway, I started my turn, discarded a land and drew into a Toxic Deluge. This let me clear the board and then drop in Elder Gargaroth. Next turn, Muldrotha cast Ashiok to mill me and exile everyone else's graveyards so my Loam was gone. I swung at Ashiok with Gargaroth because I needed to be able to search my library and there was no reason not to kill them. They scooped pretty soon after but I don't know if it was because I attacked; I am guessing they just had somewhere to go.

On that same turn I cast Sakura-Tribe Scout and tried to cast Underrealm Lich but Merieke countered it. They cast Arcanis the Omnipotent but had no cards in hand. So, I just cast Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger on my turn to get rid of it and Obeka. This tapped me out and they top decked Agent of Treachery. With their Conjurer's Closet this allowed them to take Ulamog and Windgrace.

This was a problem because my only answer to him was Deluge and that was exiled. Obeka then stole it from Merieke and stole my Gargaroth and attacked me so I cheated in Glacial Chasm with Scout. I was more worried about the exiling but I figured I might as well save myself some life too. And I hoped it might be a deterrent later on. Which is ended up being as Obeka was attacked next. Thankfully, Obeka ended up stealing it again and getting a Flamerush Rider to create a copy and put the original in my yard so we didn't need to deal with it anymore.

They swung at Merieke and they didn't block so they went to 3. On my next turn I just cast Ob Nixilis, the Fallen and played a land to kill them. I swung at Obeka putting them to 19. Next turn they tried to copy my Ob and Gargaroth so I just cast Heroic Intervention. They scooped after that.

Obeka was honestly a super cool deck to play against. A few things weren't too synergistic with her but the idea was interesting and I think the opponent played it extremely well so kudos to them. If I hadn't had Chasm I likely would have died as they were doing a lot that was tough to deal with.

Otherwise, Scout was kind of nice to have. I think playing Ulamog, especially against blue, without a way to sac him, is risky. I did have Nylea's Intervention at the time which could have gotten me a sac land to be sure I wouldn't lose him and I could have just cast Deed first to wrath the board. It would have lost me everything but Windgrace, and Merieke still would have stolen him with Agent but I could have then followed up with Ulamog. Not sure on that; I don't think either play is right or wrong. If they topdecked anything other than a theft spell, I would be sitting here saying it was the beginning of the end.

If nothing else, it just means I need to be more cautious with him. I have legitimately given consideration to cutting him entirely as well since I think I have a lot of other removal but he is the best way to deal with Indestructible stuff.

Another interesting play that I thought was worth mentioning was that Merieke chose to cast Acquire and target me. They were shocked to find I had no artifacts and even commented on the fact that I didn't even have a Sol Ring. This obviously isn't the reason I don't run artifacts in this deck (it just sort of worked out that way) but I thought it was amusing that they went after me. Which, while Map probably isn't the worst card in the deck, I sort of like the fact there are no artifacts here even if it wasn't intentional. I don't know why but adding one just feels like it messes with some aesthetic. It is sort of dumb, and with Scout I know Map can do a lot, so I will have to keep thinking on that.

ElevatorDreams

Post by ElevatorDreams » 3 years ago

Hello, first time poster here for this deck. I have been playing Lord Windgrace since he was released. What cards should I REALLY consider adding that are not on my list? Any advice is appreciated.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-04-2 ... windgrace/

WizardMN

The only omissions I really see that stand out to me are:

World Shaper
Barren Moor
Forgotten Cave
Tranquil Thicket

World Shaper I think is obvious: it is a Splendid Reclamation on a dude so it tends to be easier to recur and can allow for Instant timing for getting all lands back.

The cycling lands help with consistency. And they work pretty well with Life from the Loam. If you need to play them you can, but being able to Loam back 3 lands where you play one, pitch one to Windgrace, and then cycle one can really keep your hand full and get you rifling through your deck pretty well. They also work well with World Shaper, Reclamation, Windgrace, Crucible, and Ramunap Excavator in that you can pitch them to draw a card and then still get them on the battlefield as an actual land.

I play other cycling lands as well, but I do think that at least the 1 mana cyclers should be in here.

pokken

The green cycler should take priority over all others in my experience in these kind of decks since you're most likely to be constrained on green in the early/mid game and need to play them. I'd probably play both your bicycle lands before the non-green one mana cyclers. So in the list supplied, Canyon Slough could go in.

ElevatorDreams

Post by ElevatorDreams » 3 years ago

If I wanted to add canyon slough and the green cycler what 2 lands should I cut to make this swap?

pokken

I don't see any issue with going to 44 lands but I am not the guy to ask probly lol :)

WizardMN

My land count is currently 44 and it seems to be working out. I don't think this deck wants to go lower than 42 anyway.

Coffers is actually my first choice. While this deck can more easily set up Coffers Urborg than most, the fact that it is primarily green means it might not be as useful. Also, with everything else going on in the deck, having mana isn't as important as having lands so I think you get far more use out of things like Splendid Reclamation and World Shaper bringing everything back.

If you don't think that is something you want to do, I think Boseiju, Temple of Malady, Woodland Cemetery, or maybe Valakut? If you want to keep Valakut, I would be curious on how often you really get triggers out of it since it basically requires Omen and Dryad to be on the field. And I am not a fan of Omen here since it seems that basically its only function is to make Valakut work. Your mana fixing is fine without it.

WizardMN

Now that we have the entire set spoiled, as well as the Commander Decks, here are some of the cards that stand out to me for this deck:

Green Cards

Toski, Bearer of Secrets - Probably not good enough for the deck. I already don't have issues with card draw so, as a creature, it is pretty underwhelming.

Multicolor Cards

Binding the Old Gods - Removal and ramp in one isn't bad. But since it is 4 mana, it seems that Deathsprout is just better.

Kardur Doomscourge - This is basically something that could help protect Windgrace or myself at certain points in the game. Forcing my opponents to go after one another while I continue to build my board seems enticing. It is only a one-shot but it could be valuable.

WizardMN

Well, Field of the Dead has come crashing down hard in price Online since the banning. Looks like people that are paying more attention than I am saw the writing on the wall as it is already down below $5. I am going to pick one up and potentially mess a little more with the mana base here. I am still trying to tweak the deck, but I think I am getting pretty close to a "finalized" version with the most recent decklist posted above. There are a few flex spots here and there but I am enjoying what I have so far.

WizardMN

I got a few games in with this deck again after a long hiatus. Here is how they went:
Game 1
Show
Hide
I played against Zur the Enchanter, Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge, and Karametra, God of Harvests.

I mulliganed to 6 and kept a 2 lander (both only produced black mana) and I had a Sakura-Tribe Elder in hand. I know I should have mulliganed again but a deck with 44 lands should have been able to get me another land soon.

And, I got lucky. I drew a Forest for my card on turn 3 and cast Elder. I used that to get me a red source. I did miss a land drop the next turn though but Zur cast a Kumena's Awakening which got me another card on their turn which was a land. I played that next turn and then cast Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools since the board was mostly clear and I could just create some tokens.

The main problem during this was that Zur was getting out of control. They had Kumena's Awakening, Twilight Prophet, and were enchanted with 2 Paradox Haze and had Phyrexian Arena so they were drawing 12 cards a turn. Prophet did go away after that turn so we kept them to 9 cards a turn /s

I did get Korvold, Fae-Cursed King down as I really just needed to dig for Bane of Progress. Karametra did attack Tevesh but I was able to block most of it. This did prevent me from drawing off Tevesh though so I waited another turn.

Zur cast Damnation which was actually not bad for me. Tevesh was at 9 so I was just cranking him up to see what he could do. For some reason, on my next turn after only casting Springbloom Druid and Fertilid, Karametra scooped complaining about Tevesh being game over. Which wasn't even close to being a worry.

Instead, Zur cast Replenish which got them Hive Mind and they cast Enduring Ideal. Which was pretty much game over for us as we could no longer cast spells. I did ultimate Tevesh Szat just because but their enchantments were just too much so the two of us remaining just scooped it up.
Game 2
Show
Hide
This game was against Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (mono-brown Eldrazi), The Locust God, and Zndrsplt, Eye of Wisdom & Okaun, Eye of Chaos partners.

I started off with 5 lands, Wood Elves, and Damnation. I ramped on turn 3 but Golos came down on turn 4 right after me. I just fired off Windgrace next turn and used Wood Elves to block a turn. Golos activated their ability and whiffed with 3 lands.

My hand at the time was 5 lands, Damnation, and Decree of Pain. Golos did end up casting a Thought-Knot Seer to take my Damnation but Decree of Pain was a good backup.

Golos activated again next turn and got Walker of the Wastes which was a decent size. Since their board was the way it was, I just figured I should Decree so I did. I ended up discarding a couple of lands.

Golos cast Geode Golem which I had wanted to destroy with my Reclamation Sage but I decided against it because I went with Ob Nixilis, the Fallen and Spike Weaver first. Weaver still stopped Golem and they had to spend more mana to cast Golos.

During this time God also had a Jace, Unraveler of Secrets that was at 7 counters so we needed to do something about it. I also just kept going after Golos with Ob's triggers.

My next turn came around and I dropped in a Pernicious Deed and let Golos activate to see what else I might be able to catch with the Deed. They only got a Skittering Invasion so nothing big. But, then they tried to cast Darksteel Forge so I had to Deed and blow up the board.

This did leave Jace pretty open but also left Windgrace open. And it put Golos exceptionally far behind though they still had Golos they could recast and start doing stuff with. I just cast [[Ulamog, The cease top get rid of Jace and the God. I left the Forge alone because Partners copied it anyway and Golos had 1 card in hand so I felt it was safe. Besides, I could always sac and recast Ulamog later if I needed to.

Golos was recast and they passed. The Locust God was recast and they passed. Partners cast Tezzeret, Artifice Master and passed. I ended up casting Nissa of Shadowed Boughs which then got a couple more counters thanks to Windgrace and a fetchland. I used this to get Spike Weaver back and then I just cast Elder Gargaroth.

Golos activated again and this time they actually hit something. They hit Artisan of Kozilek which got Walker of the Wastes so their board was again pretty large. The Locust God cast Blasphemous Act and I saved my couple of creatures with Heroic Intervention.

Partners cast Tide of War which was problematic. I just ended up casting Rec Sage to blow it up. I went to attacks and God scooped it up so I just attacked Tezzeret with Gargaroth and Ulamog. I also cast Fertilid to ramp some more and got back Ob with Nissa to keep chipping away at Golos's life total. They were finally able to get a good hit and got All Is Dust and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre.

This cleared everything on board beyond my Ulamog and Partners Forge but I was able to get them down to 9 life from Ob. I also fogged with Spike Weaver to be sure.

Golos tapped out for that turn and then Partners tried committing to the board a little. I got back to my turn and just ended up casting Torment of Hailfire for X=21. Partners could survive but they needed to discard all their cards and sac all but 4 permanents. Instead, they sacrificed all their permanents leaving them at 10 life (if they kept the Forge and a creature they could block). I was able to deal the last 10 with Ulamog. I don't think they really made a mistake as they would be empty handed and two more swings with Ulamog finished them off anyway. And I was at 57 life.
Game 3
Show
Hide
This game was against The First Sliver, Admiral Beckett Brass, and Marchesa, the Black Rose.

I started the game with 2 lands, Exploration, and Realms Uncharted. I was hoping to draw into another land right away so I could ramp with Realms and I did. I ended up with 5 mana on turn 3 which allowed me to cast The Gitrog Monster. I went with that over Windgrace because the board was pretty threatening to Windgrace. And I figured if I sacrificed a land but didn't draw one, Once and Future could get me two fetches back to draw with Gitrog anyway.

Instead, I did draw a land so I did cast Windgrace which got me back two fetches which then got me another land to play. This allowed me to cast Fertilid that turn which I left up for a blocker.

The First Sliver was playing Jegantha as a companion so they cast that. I just kept ramping with Gitrog and Exploration. I then cast Bane of Progress to get rid of a bunch of Treasures from Marchesa who was doing quite a bit of looping with Dockside Extortionist and Viscera Seer.

Slivers cast their general and didn't get much off the Cascade. They then cast another Sliver and got a couple pretty good hits. The sliver they cast was Leeching Sliver so luckily they didn't hit a Haste sliver. I had Decree of Pain so I felt I was safe. But then Marchesa just cast Mob Rule to gain control of nearly everything. Slivers just conceded which stopped either one of the other of us from dying. They then just attacked the Admiral.

On my next turn I cast Phyrexian Reclamation to get back Gitrog and then I discarded a land, got some lands back with Life from the Loam, used Springbloom Druid to draw more cards and ramp more and then passed.

Admiral cast Tree of Perdition and Timestream Navigator and passed. Marchesa tapped down Gitrog and attacked Windgrace so I just blocked with the Druid. They then just scooped.

On my turn, I just cast Sakura-Tribe Scout and attacked with Gitrog. Admiral then took an extra turn but didn't do anything with it so they just scooped it up.
I really feel like this deck is pretty much at the spot I want it to be at. There might be a few cards here and there that could be argued against but I am liking where it is at right now. I will probably get the main page updated with the current decklist today or tomorrow so the current list is reflected somewhere.

WizardMN

Well, I finally got around to updating my list on here with the list I have been playing online. While the changes online have been incremental obviously, I never truly recorded all the changes I had been making. So, I took the list I had listed in the first comment of this thread and compared it to the list online that I have been playing to get this latest change. It looks like I have the right number of cards so it must be close.

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 3 years ago

There are some great adds in this change, but also some very bad ones in my opinion. They are also paired up with some wild cuts in my opinion.
What makes you go for cards like Kamahl's Will and Sylvan Awakening? Do you really have that many lands in your games?
What's with all the Regrowth variants, like Skullwinder, Once and Future, Deliver Unto Evil?

Conversely, Windgrace's Judgment is a simple 3 for 1 that gets rid of the most problematic things on the board from each player. It's probably not a game winner, but I think it surely seems better than Regrowth.
I can only speak for myself, but Evolution Sage seems like a staple for Windgrace. I think people tend to underestimate Windgrace so they let him live longer, and Sage provides the last OOMPH required to hit those game changing ultimates. However, it could also be the fact that the card won all games it appeared in versus infect decks in my meta, so I guess your mileage may vary.
I'm also sad in seeing Ramunap Excavator go. I can definitely understand it being gone, but I can still say that fetchland + Ramunap is amazing, and if you have extra land drop cards they take that synergy to the next level. I mean Ramunap + Azusa flat out win me the game sometimes.

pokken

shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
What makes you go for cards like Kamahl's Will and Sylvan Awakening? Do you really have that many lands in your games?
My experience playing a similar build is that yes you really do have that many lands, lol. You I put 90% of the lands in my deck into the game more than once with a Splendid Reclamation shenanigans

My gitrog lands deck would end with 15+ lands most of the time, and the RUG elemental version usually about the same.

WizardMN

shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
There are some great adds in this change, but also some very bad ones in my opinion. They are also paired up with some wild cuts in my opinion.
pokken provided a succinct enough answer for this: yes, there are enough lands.
What's with all the Regrowth variants, like Skullwinder, Once and Future, Deliver Unto Evil?
I realized after I posted that I should have gone into more detail on these because I have a lot more of these effects than I need. I was basically riffing off the suggestion (I think @pokken made) earlier about Skullwinder and decided to just go all in. And, for the most part, I really like these effects. Over time, I will whittle them down some but I just went all out to see how the effect in a general sense would work. And so far, it has been successful.
Conversely, Windgrace's Judgment is a simple 3 for 1 that gets rid of the most problematic things on the board from each player. It's probably not a game winner, but I think it surely seems better than Regrowth.
I can only speak for myself, but Evolution Sage seems like a staple for Windgrace. I think people tend to underestimate Windgrace so they let him live longer, and Sage provides the last OOMPH required to hit those game changing ultimates. However, it could also be the fact that the card won all games it appeared in versus infect decks in my meta, so I guess your mileage may vary.
Yep to both of these to be honest. Judgment being 5 and the number of wraths in the deck led to me wanting to trim a little bit in spot removal. Judgment has a pretty high ceiling and I do like the card so it very well comes back later (likely when I trim a Regrowth effect) but I wanted to make room.

Cutting down on Planeswalkers in general is why Sage left. It is a good card but not a necessary card. At least in my experience. I usually don't have much trouble keeping Windgrace alive and his ultimate is rarely used. He is built around his first two abilities so I am not concerned about getting to his ultimate. It is exceptional when it happens of course (often game winning) but I haven't seen the need to go all out to get to it.
I'm also sad in seeing Ramunap Excavator go. I can definitely understand it being gone, but I can still say that fetchland + Ramunap is amazing, and if you have extra land drop cards they take that synergy to the next level. I mean Ramunap + Azusa flat out win me the game sometimes.
I think I mentioned earlier if I was running Azusa then Crucible and Ramunap would be here. Since I am not, and since I use Windgrace and the mass land reanimation anyway, it becomes superflous. Exploration obviously helps in this regard but not enough I don't think

pokken

Skullwinder specifically is bananas in windgrace because of the deathtouch. It's basically Eternal Witness with deathtouch most of the time, since you can use it to get someone who is behind to help you out :P

WizardMN

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Skullwinder specifically is bananas in windgrace because of the deathtouch. It's basically Eternal Witness with deathtouch most of the time, since you can use it to get someone who is behind to help you out :P
Agreed. It is so far been pretty good. I don't usually like too much politics in my games but it does allow for a bit of that as needed.

And I just went through my list and I guess I must have already cut down on the Regrowth effects (I am pretty sure I had a few more at one time). I likely get rid of Deliver Unto Evil eventually but will probably keep Once and Future due to being an Instant and (usually) getting 2 cards back to hand.

For a deck that tends to put a fair amount of cards in the yard, even if most are lands, having these effects can be pretty good and I actually like them more than I thought I might.

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 3 years ago

I can't see a card like Once and Future seeing play while Wildest Dreams exists. I would probably even run Creeping Renaissance before it, especially with Windgrace dumping so many lands.

I'm repeating myself, but in light of your big amounts of mass removal effects, a very robust wincon I would recommend is Centaur Vinecrasher / Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar (already included) + Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. All 3 cards are great bodies on their own, and all 3 come back to your hand from graveyard by virtually no cost to you. This combo works well with your existing cards, like Ulvenwald Hydra, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen, Korvold, Fae-Cursed King, Apex Altisaur, etc.
I would recommend you cut Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger or any of the Regrowth effects for the combo. Ulamog is nice in that it can survive mass removals, but to me, if you reach 10 mana (and/or 10 lands), you should be well on your way to winning the game, not starting to play a mill strat. You already have a potential blowout 10 mana play in Apex Devastator, and I believe there's no need to go overboard with Ulamog, which is substantially less powerful in EDH in my opinion.

WizardMN

shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
I can't see a card like Once and Future seeing play while Wildest Dreams exists. I would probably even run Creeping Renaissance before it, especially with Windgrace dumping so many lands.
A 5 mana sorcery to do the same as a 4 mana instant (when equal) isn't that great. And then 7 mana to get an extra card isn't exactly stellar either.

As for Renaissance, I don't want a bunch of lands in my hand that I just put into the graveyard. At that point, I want to get them all on the field. And I like being able to get any card type, not just permanents. I just want to re-use a couple cards. E Wit and Skullwinder let me get 1 card each; Once and Future lets me get 2 cards. And it is pretty consistent to ensure they both go to hand. Sure I can't abuse it like I can the creatures but it still has its uses. At least, far better uses than the two you mentioned.
I'm repeating myself, but in light of your big amounts of mass removal effects, a very robust wincon I would recommend is Centaur Vinecrasher / Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar (already included) + Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. All 3 cards are great bodies on their own, and all 3 come back to your hand from graveyard by virtually no cost to you. This combo works well with your existing cards, like Ulvenwald Hydra, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen, Korvold, Fae-Cursed King, Apex Altisaur, etc.
I don't think Vinecrasher is good enough as it only cares about graveyards and I really don't want lands to be in my graveyard too long. Multani on the other hand is a favorite of mine and I could be pretty easily persuaded to add him in. Especially over Deliver Unto Evil. As for Jarad, I just don't like him. He makes sense for the deck, but I have no desire to run him.
I would recommend you cut Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger or any of the Regrowth effects for the combo. Ulamog is nice in that it can survive mass removals, but to me, if you reach 10 mana (and/or 10 lands), you should be well on your way to winning the game, not starting to play a mill strat. You already have a potential blowout 10 mana play in Apex Devastator, and I believe there's no need to go overboard with Ulamog, which is substantially less powerful in EDH in my opinion.
Ulamog is here as *removal*. I rarely even care if I attack with him and I definitely don't expect to mill someone out with him. He is a creature I can somewhat easily get back with Reclamation and deals with basically anything I need him to deal with. Mostly indestructible stuff. I would be fine with cutting him if I could get something to actually replace him in the removal department. It wouldn't even need to be "uncounterable" like Ulamog's trigger (mostly) is. But I have had enough games that come down to a God, or a Darksteel Forge, or an opposing Avacyn, Angel of Hope and I want an out to the various things that can come up. Ulamog is that out. World Breaker takes care of 2 of those scenarios but not being able to remove creatures or planeswalkers is detrimental. And most other exile effects are white so this is what I have come up with as my silver bullet.

WizardMN

Now with Strixhaven and Commander 21 being fully revealed, here are the cards I want to talk about for this deck. As I have been doing lately, this includes both sets together:

Black Cards

Callous Bloodmage - I am not really sure on this card here. I don't really need to increase my grave hate and Windgrace is already my draw engine. I do like the card quite a bit, but I think I can skip it here.

Stinging Study - With Windgrace being my main source of draw, this becomes less necessary. Drawing 5 for 5 mana is pretty good on the rate though. I don't think I am going to add it here but I can potentially see the possibility of adding it later if I feel I need more draw.

Green Cards

Ecological Appreciation - This doesn't seem like a terrible card on the surface but when breaking things down, Tooth and Nail offers basically the same thing, though it is more frowned upon due to its combo potential. In this deck, anything I want with generally be at least 5 mana. So, if I grabbed 4 things at 5 mana, the spell costs me 8. If I want anything at 6 mana, the spell costs 9 and that is the same as Tooth and Nail. And TaN gives me exactly what I want. Since I already don't run Tooth and Nail, I am not going to run this.

Multicolor Cards

Beledros Witherbloom - This looks like a really fun card. 7 mana is a lot, and 10 life is a lot especially when considering this deck doesn't often gain life. I do have things like Diamond Valley that really help with that though so it isn't outside the realm of possibility to really make it work. The main thing then becomes: "do I even need to make it work?". That is, what does untapping all my lands do for me. I am already pretty focused on trying to get a bunch of lands on the field so if 20+ mana already isn't enough mana, I would be better off trying to get something to end the game rather than this. I do like the card but I think it just doesn't make enough sense with everything else the deck is doing.

Mortality Spear - This deck doesn't gain life all that often and I think Windgrace's Judgment would just be worth the additional mana over this.

Rushed Rebirth - A free creature for 2 mana is pretty good. Especially with the removal the deck has which allows me to target an opponent's creature with both cards and get a free creature of my own. I don't know that it is consistent or reliant enough to really use it, but I like the idea.

WizardMN

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Here are my thoughts on the cards from Modern Horizons 2:

Black Cards

Dauthi Voidwalker - This deck doesn't often get run over by dedicated graveyard strategies and this card being one time use and not able to block are big enough drawbacks to question its inclusion in this deck. I think I pass on it here but I also think I end up putting it in a few other decks that I wanted to call it out here in case it just becomes phenomenal in everything else.

Green Cards

Endurance - I currently have Crop Rotation and Bojuka Bog as my Instant timing grave hate in this deck and I wouldn't mind trying a card that just has it all on one card. And this deck doesn't have a ton of grave hate otherwise so it is probably something good to have in my back pocket in case it is needed and the Evoke cost allows me to go shields down and still deal with someone's graveyard as needed. I don't know what I would cut for this but I think it makes sense to try to slot it in somewhere.

Timeless Witness - I have gone pretty high on the graveyard recursion in this deck and I am really not sure if this is actually better than anything else I already have. And that includes Once and Future. I think this card can make sense in this deck, and there might be an argument for it over Deliver Unto Evil since I have been thinking of cutting that anyway but I still think there might be other options that could be better, such as Greenwarden of Murasa, if I really wanted to go up on this type of effect.

Tireless Provisioner - This pretty much a better Lotus Cobra. Sure, it costs 1 more mana but the mana production from it isn't quite as ephemeral. The Treasures stick around so I can at least store up the mana for later and can really help fuel a big Torment of Hailfire off of something like Splendid Reclamation whereas Cobra really can't do that. I don't think I want to cut Cobra for this but I will see what makes sense and where i can make room. I might end up cutting the Cobra in the end.

WizardMN

Now that the holiday is over and the sets have been fully spoiled, here are my thoughts on the Adventures of the Forgetten Realms, and associated Commander, cards that are being released.

Green Cards

You Happen On a Glade - As some of my more recent changes show, I really do like the green recursion to hand spells and this ends up adding to that. But, it adds an additional element of getting lands into my hand which, for this deck, is actually quite good. I might end up just replacing Deliver Unto Evil with this as I have been looking to cut Deliver anyway.

WizardMN

Not many new cards have come out for this deck in the last two sets but there are a couple I would like to try:
7/15/2021
Approximate Total Cost:

As mentioned, Deliver and You Happen Upon a Glade are straight swaps and I think the flexibility makes it a far better fit for this deck. I did decide to stick with Lotus Cobra in addition to Tireless Provisioner to see if I need both. I still think I only need one of them and Provisioner is the better option, but I also think Tevesh Szat just isn't needed. I like him and I think he has good abilities, but I needed a cut and he is more superfluous than anything.

WizardMN

Here is my review/evaluation of cards from Midnight Hunt:

Green Cards

Wrenn and Seven - 5 mana is high but pretty much all 4 abilities work well with this deck. I am not a huge fan of milling nonlands with the first ability but the last ability gets them back eventually and because I have so much else that works off lands in hand to draw cards, it probably works out. I will have to see what makes sense for a cut for them.

Outland Liberator - A better Qasali Pridemage (ignoring Exalted of course). This is something nice to have rather than an ETB trigger just in case Torpor Orb is around. Plus it allows for Instant timing destruction. I will find a spot for this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”